Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,105 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CoachRTM said:

I just think it would have been so much better if they gave one director all three movies to tell one over-arching story.

It felt like they took each movie one at a time, and changed plans between each one, which cheapened it in a big way.

I think Disney's biggest mistake was not having an over-arching sorry at all. I'm still flabbergasted they took their biggest IP and had no true direction of where they wanted to go.
Beat40
fig96 said:

Even outside having one director shoot all three, have at least one consistent writer across the trilogy or at WORST have the general arc of the three films planned out.

Had Rian Johnson just gotten direction that "you're starting here and we need things to end up somewhere around here", we wouldn't have had JJ spend half of TROS walking back parts of TLJ.

They shouldn't have had to walk back any of TLJ if they actually had a plan. Because they didn't, they let fans dictate the movie they were going to make. That's unbelievable to me.
GreasenUSA
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's taken me this long to admit to myself that I was disappointed in the movie. Flat out.

I knew walking out that I disliked the ending, but here's the thing. This is the ONLY Star Wars movie I only saw once in theaters, and right now I'm not even particularly excited to watch it again. Don't get me wrong, I will, and I hope that it grows on me over time, but right now, it's just such a disappointing end to the saga. And seeing the script/concept art for the original DOTF script has just made it that much worse.

In fact, I have barely thought about Star Wars since last year. And it sucks. It kind of killed my excitement for Star Wars, at least for now.
After being a bit disappointed with TROS, I went ahead and saw it one more time, and I found myself enjoying it quite a bit more. I still like TFA the best of the 3, but it also made me appreciate TLJ somewhat more. Hard to explain.
The Collective
AG
This thread is feeling like groundhog day, but I guess it it all we have until TCW episodes start dropping.
Solo Tetherball Champ
I Have Spoken said:

This thread is feeling like groundhog day, but I guess it it all we have until TCW episodes start dropping.
The amount of complaining is a little ridiculous.

Of the 11 feature films, there are only two that I would consider great movies (Star Wars and Empire). Of the remaining movies, there are only a handful of solid films (RotJ, TFA, Rogue 1, I haven't seen Solo) but even those are not without some serious flaws.

I guess I've just come to accept that this is not a particularly great franchise and have left it at that.

/ducks.
fig96
AG
Beat40 said:

fig96 said:

Even outside having one director shoot all three, have at least one consistent writer across the trilogy or at WORST have the general arc of the three films planned out.

Had Rian Johnson just gotten direction that "you're starting here and we need things to end up somewhere around here", we wouldn't have had JJ spend half of TROS walking back parts of TLJ.

They shouldn't have had to walk back any of TLJ if they actually had a plan. Because they didn't, they let fans dictate the movie they were going to make. That's unbelievable to me.
I thought I kinda covered that in "have the general arc of the three films planned out", but agree
Gangnam Style
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Speaking of, are we going to have a separate TCW thread or keep the discussion in this one?
fig96
AG
Gangnam Style said:

I Have Spoken said:

Speaking of, are we going to have a separate TCW thread or keep the discussion in this one?
Considering how many episodes that's going to be I'd vote new thread, if enough posters are watching (which sounds like will be the case) that's going to generate a whole lot of posts. There's threads for most new series anyway.
The Collective
AG
Absolutely think it is worthy of its own thread. We had one for Rebels when it was airing.
Ag Since 83
AG
Are they doing one episode a week like The Mandalorian?
Flashdiaz
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Are they doing one episode a week like The Mandalorian?
every Friday I believe.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective
AG
Holy spoiler video release trailer.
Dro07
AG
Wait... Han was in the movie?
TCTTS
AG

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/02/19/the-damage-done-to-star-wars-by-rise-of-skywalker-cant-be-undone/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://reddit.com/r/PrequelMemes/comments/f6avyu/so_apparently_this_aussie_radio_station_was/
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

https://reddit.com/r/PrequelMemes/comments/f6avyu/so_apparently_this_aussie_radio_station_was/
If it weren't for every living thing on the continent trying to kill you at all times, Australia seems like a great place to live.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/02/19/the-damage-done-to-star-wars-by-rise-of-skywalker-cant-be-undone/
INTERNET MAY NEVER RECOVER FROM OVERLY DRAMATIC CLICK BAIT HEADLINE ON FORBES.COM
TCTTS
AG
MUCKRACKER MUST DEFEND STAR WARS AT ALL COSTS NO MATTER HOW SH*TTY IT GETS
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

INTERNET MAY NEVER RECOVER FROM OVERLY DRAMATIC CLICK BAIT HEADLINE ON FORBES.COM
Not gonna read the article since it wants me to turn off my adblocker to do so.

There were lots of well documented problems with the sequel trilogy, but given all the hatred I see on this site toward the prequel trilogy, I believe Star Wars will be fine going forward.
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

MUCKRACKER MUST DEFEND STAR WARS AT ALL COSTS NO MATTER HOW SH*TTY IT GETS

TCTTS
AG
True, but the difference is the same characters/story from the OT are what most people seemingly responded and clung to, re: the hype and interest in the sequel trilogy. Yes, Rey and Kylo were big hits, but would they have been as big without being tied to Luke, Han, and Leia? Given the overall disappointment in the sequel trilogy, it's going to be very interesting to see how audiences respond going forward to a brand new cinematic Star Wars story that isn't anchored to any characters or story points from past films.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I just can't get over how unbelievably lazy it was to make Rey a Palpatine, with absolutely ZERO setup. Not to mention how it goes completely against what Last Jedi was trying to do. Ugh...
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I was laughing at the over the top Forbes headline but thanks for making it personal. I don't give a **** if you or anyone else here dislikes the movie, that's your opinion and why I jumped off the original TROS thread on the first place, just wanted to talk about the story on the screen.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Genuine question. (This is NOT an attack, but curiosity.)

Why do you jump off the thread when reviews aren't completely positive? I get it if it's just pure, unreasonable hate for the movie, but I felt like the TROS thread remained pretty level-headed and there seemed to be a good balance of positive and negative reviews.

Furthermore, do you not agree with ANY of the criticisms of the movie?
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I just can't get over how unbelievably lazy it was to make Rey a Palpatine, with absolutely ZERO setup. Not to mention how it goes completely against what Last Jedi was trying to do. Ugh...

I can still hear Kylo saying it, and it makes me cringe just thinking about it.
Urban Ag
AG
Let me jump in! <raises hand>

First, thanks for the tip on the blue milk. It really was good. Even better after I dumped a shot of Tito's in it while waiting exactly 97 minutes to ride Smuggler's Run.

I genuinely enjoyed TROS but at the same time think the criticisms are legit. I think I described it a couple months ago as "beautiful hot mess". Hit the nostalgia points for me. Had some pretty lame plot points. Oh well.

Then again, I never take this stuff personally. People can love it. Hate it. IDGAS.
TCTTS
AG
By "laughing" at a link I posted, by extension, it came across as a jab at me as well, since I was posting the article as an endorsement of/agreement with it. So it's kind of hard to mock the article but not the person posting it in this instance. Also, you *do* post jabs at me and others here quite often, so it's hard to know which posts are and which posts aren't personal. Ultimately, it clearly bugs you that we all just can't get along and love Star Wars without critiquing it, and it bugs me that you constantly have to defend it all costs. It is what it is.
PatAg
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I was laughing at the over the top Forbes headline but thanks for making it personal. I don't give a **** if you or anyone else here dislikes the movie, that's your opinion and why I jumped off the original TROS thread on the first place, just wanted to talk about the story on the screen.
TC's line was funny, but it is laughably stupid to think Star Wars will "never recover" from making insane amounts of money on these "horrible" movies. It is a little sad to see that Forbes is resorting to these kinds of article headlines, but maybe its been like that for a while, I haven't really read it often lately.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective
AG
The premise of the article is definitely dumb.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I can still hear Kylo saying it, and it makes me cringe just thinking about it.
And didn't Luke say he knew the truth? (I honestly can't even remember.)

But if so, even more ridiculous. Zero explanation as to how Luke knew, or why he hid the truth from her. The same thing he was so angry at Obi-Wan for doing.

It just does not. make. sense.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh and I guess I'll throw out that I also think that headline was super clickbaity and ridiculous.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Genuine question. (This is NOT an attack, but curiosity.)

Why do you jump off the thread when reviews aren't completely positive? I get it if it's just pure, unreasonable hate for the movie, but I felt like the TROS thread remained pretty level-headed and there seemed to be a good balance of positive and negative reviews.

Furthermore, do you not agree with ANY of the criticisms of the movie?

I've honestly never seen anyone handle critique of a movie/franchise like he does with Star Wars. I get that it holds a special place for him, and that he has fond memories of seeing it with family, it's a bonding experience, etc. But it's weird to me how much it clearly annoys him when anyone has even the slightest negative thing to say about it. It's as if he sees critiquing the franchise as invalidating his own, personal experience with it. I no doubt love a good debate about the quality of a movie, and will absolutely argue certain points I'm passionate about, but at the end of the day I could not care less what others say about something I love. I don't need everyone to constantly hold hands and sing Kumbaya, and I certainly don't need to start threads that ban negative reactions to a specific movie. Do I get annoyed when people pop in certain threads and take a quick, pointless sh*t on something we all seem to be enjoying? Sure. But that's rarely what any of us do with Star Wars. By and large, it's an informed discussion, with valid, passionate points.
First Page Last Page
Page 900 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.