Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,887,997 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ugh

I will say Mandalorian similarity concerns feels reasonable though
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Ugh

Yes, but Kennedy should have recognized the similarities months if not years ago. That's literally her job.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

It's time. Kennedy needs to go...

https://collider.com/obi-wan-series-delayed-disney-plus/
Ag Since 83
AG
TCTTS said:

Ag Since 83 said:

Ugh

Yes, but Kennedy should have recognized the similarities months if not years ago. That's literally her job.
Oh in 100% agree,ent. In a vacuum this might be a good decision but ending up here yet again is the problem
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I had said this when they fired D&D (before reading that Q&A where they made clear how they were winging it all throughout GoT), and then realized it was probably a smart decision on her part.

But after this, I'm done with her. She needs to go. This has happened with EVERY major project they've done, save for TLJ basically.

Somebody needs to captain this ship it's clearly not her. Time for a change.
TCTTS
AG
Indeed.
titan
S
TCTTS said:

I genuinely do not understand this "was not happy with the script(s)" thing that is a constant issue at Lucasfilm. Why are script issues seemingly ALWAYS a last-minute surprise? Hey, Kathleen, YOU'RE IN CHARGE. How about, you know, do your job and oversee the creative process EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. As a producer who doesn't have final say so at times, has studio partners who are above my head, etc, I understand getting scripts back that aren't what you had hoped for. It's happened to me multiple times. But as the overseer of this entire process, Kennedy doesn't have to play nice with anyone or cede to someone else's vision/notes. She can say and do whatever she wants. She can have the writers pitch every movie and episode for her beat by beat before they type a single word of the actual scripts themselves. That way, the "surprises" are nipped in the bud before everything is announced, pre-production is in full swing, etc. I really, truly, do not understand how this KEEPS happening. Granted, I'm sure it's more complicated than any of us know, but still. No studio should have this much drama on nearly every project it develops. It's insane.
TCTTS,

As familiar as you are with movies and the process, you probably recall it, but every time I heard this about Disney Star Wars scripts it reminds of the infamous "development hell" and mess of scripts that was made of trying to get the 1992 "Alien III" to the screen. Do you agree it is similar or remember that? The write-ups of the snafu and tangled constant changing of story were epic.
bluefire579
AG
Well, ****
TCTTS
AG
I think the Alien 3 stuff was worse, and a little different, but yeah, it's in the same vein. I think the main difference is that, despite the negative critical and fan reactions, the SW films that *do* get made make money (for the most part), and The Mandalorian was massively popular. So there's a level of "success" that Alien 3 never achieved.
titan
S
TCTTS said:

I think the Alien 3 stuff was worse, and a little different, but yeah, it's in the same vein. I think the main difference is that, despite the negative critical and fan reactions, the SW films that *do* get made make money (for the most part), and The Mandalorian was massively popular. So there's a level of "success" that Alien 3 never achieved.
Ah, so as bad as this management of the scripts seem to be, you do think Alien 3 followed a worse path. That says a lot. The changing settings and scripts presumptions were baffling, even after several re-reads, haha.
YouBet
AG
Urban Ag said:

TCTTS said:

I've never seen a single episode of The Clone Wars, but that trailer was incredible. (I know , I know, I need to give it a shot.)

So was this series cancelled at one point? And Disney+ brought it back? Or was it just a really long hiatus? Also, didn't it used be 2D animation in the beginning? Or has it always been 3D CGI?
TCTTS

watch these two clips from the Point Rain episode. This is really as good as SW gets. D-Day/Private Ryan feel to it. Enjoy.

My kids and I really enjoyed TCW series. I pretty much zoned out during the weird Mortis/Sith Witches/whatever the F dark force user episodes were, but overall it's greatness. The military conflicts and bounty hunter episodes are fantastic. And it deep dives in to the Clone army which I really liked because I'm military nerdy that way.

These are epic.

These two episodes are when TCW went from good to great for me. I think I actually commented on these two specific episodes on a Star Wars thread somewhere along the way as a turning point. Was blown away by these when I watched them at how well they were done. Everything the battle scenes in the movies should have been!!!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
IO9 has an interview with a Star Wars tattoo artist today. Here's some of his cooler stuff. I've often though about getting an Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan tattoo but never committed to it. I've got a huge one of Roland from the Dark Tower on my right arm and don't have enough space on my left arm to match.

The Collective
AG
Goodbye Kathleen. You can't even get the one project fans are most excited about to the starting gate. Thankfully we have TCW season finale on the horizon.
Agsrback12
I Have Spoken said:

Goodbye Kathleen. You can't even get the one project fans are most excited about to the starting gate. Thankfully we have TCW season finale on the horizon.

She already ruined Star Wars. There are fans that will never return unless they fire her and reboot the last three movies in the Skywalker saga and have Luke be a key part of it. It's done. They operate like they don't have a budget and no Board or Directors. Crazy.
Urban Ag
AG
My left pec is covered in a Spartan battle helmet with the American flag over it. I keep teasing my wife I'm going to do the other side with a Mando helmet. Lots of eye rolling. I think they'd balance each other out.
Beat40
My prediction has been that Kathleen Kennedy would get fired within 6 months of TROS leaving theatres.

Tonight I searched her name to see if there had been any new news to track my prediction and saw all of the news about the Obi-Wan show.

I'm still holding my prediction.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
When it occurred to me how many rewrite issues Star Wars properties have had lately, my mind drifted to a manager I had once who wanted X one week, Y the next week, and Z or X again the week after that. We'd spend months going in circles, spinning our wheels on iterations because they had no clear vision of where they wanted to go.

That's what the Kathleen Kennedy era of Star Wars has presented like. Whether it's the inconsistent trilogy, the rewrite issues, or having to scrap so many projects. They have no idea where they're going with any of it.

Dave Filoni should just be put in charge. He's shown an ability to build story over time, he knows the Star Wars lore better than anyone else, and he's helmed some of the best Star Wars content of the past decade. Plus he wears a cowboy hat.
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
AG

https://www.thewrap.com/obi-wan-star-ewan-mcgregor-downplays-all-this-bulls-about-disney-series-delay/
Urban Ag
AG
if they shoot early 2021 is a late fall 2021 release on D+ realistic?
TXAG 05
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've heard some not so great things about Rebels from my two Star Wars nerd buddies, and they've been pushing me to watch CW for years.

Your friends are dumb. Rebels is great
TCTTS
AG
They could maybe make a November 2021 premiere date, but it'd be tough.
TCTTS
AG
If I absolutely had to put money on it at this point, I'd say the slate might look something like this...

November 2020 = The Mandalorian (Season 2)
Summer 2021 = Untitled Cassian Andor Series
November 2021 = The Mandalorian (Season 3)
Summer 2022 = Untitled Obi-Wan Series
December 16, 2022 = Untitled Star Wars Movie

No overlap, things are spaced nicely, and there's a bit of a rhythm to the schedule.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I genuinely do not understand this "not happy with the script(s)" thing that is a constant issue at Lucasfilm. Why are script issues seemingly ALWAYS a last-minute surprise? Hey, Kathleen, YOU'RE IN CHARGE. How about, you know, do your job and oversee the creative process EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. As a producer who doesn't have final say so at times, has studio partners who are above my head, etc, I understand getting scripts back that aren't what you had hoped for. It's happened to me multiple times. But as the overseer of this entire process, Kennedy doesn't have to play nice with anyone or cede to someone else's vision/notes. She can say and do whatever she wants. She can have the writers pitch every movie and episode for her beat by beat before they type a single word of the actual scripts themselves. That way, the "surprises" are nipped in the bud before everything is announced, pre-production is in full swing, etc. I really, truly, do not understand how this KEEPS happening. Granted, I'm sure it's more complicated than any of us know, but still. No studio should have this much drama on nearly every project it develops. It's insane.
Every article, this one and previous ones, all read as reasonable actions when read individually. Once you realize that it's becoming a trend, like you said...how can Disney NOT act at some point.
Urban Ag
AG
muck?

PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

https://www.thewrap.com/obi-wan-star-ewan-mcgregor-downplays-all-this-bulls-about-disney-series-delay/
That's basically worth nothing, in my opinion. What else would he possibly say, it's just PR from a trained actor/liar. I feel like Disney has lost all goodwill with the fanbase at this point, or whatever amount they regained with The Mandalorian.

I know you are just sharing it with us as an interesting, tweet, I'm not crapping on you or anything.
tremble
AG
TCTTS said:

I genuinely do not understand this "not happy with the script(s)" thing that is a constant issue at Lucasfilm. Why are script issues seemingly ALWAYS a last-minute surprise? Hey, Kathleen, YOU'RE IN CHARGE. How about, you know, do your job and oversee the creative process EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. As a producer who doesn't have final say so at times, has studio partners who are above my head, etc, I understand getting scripts back that aren't what you had hoped for. It's happened to me multiple times. But as the overseer of this entire process, Kennedy doesn't have to play nice with anyone or cede to someone else's vision/notes. She can say and do whatever she wants. She can have the writers pitch every movie and episode for her beat by beat before they type a single word of the actual scripts themselves. That way, the "surprises" are nipped in the bud before everything is announced, pre-production is in full swing, etc. I really, truly, do not understand how this KEEPS happening. Granted, I'm sure it's more complicated than any of us know, but still. No studio should have this much drama on nearly every project it develops. It's insane.

Yeah, she seems like a nice person but her tenure has been a **** show. I don't even really care about the SJW stuff just as much as her lack of competence.

Rogue One, Solo, TLJ, and the Trevorrow debacle are more than enough to show that she should take a backseat.
Urban Ag
AG
Nice person? Yeah that don't mean sh** in corp exec world.

Too many projects have been uber f'd up on her watch. This would not be tolerated anywhere else. Dog eat dog. She needs the boot. That's life.

Be a nice person at the rescue dog shelter.
TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

Every article, this one and previous ones, all read as reasonable actions when read individually. Once you realize that it's becoming a trend, like you said...how can Disney NOT act at some point.

Great point. For most of these there was ultimately an aspect of, "Ok, that makes sense." In a bubble, I get how each one happened. But then when you step back, you see how Kennedy's decisions to either hire so-and-so in the first place, or her surprise at finding herself not satisfied with the state of affairs long after she should have realized, just keep happening.
Beat40
TCTTS said:

PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

Great point. For most of these there was ultimately an aspect of, "Ok, that makes sense." In a bubble, I get how each one happened. But then when you step back, you see how Kennedy's decisions to either hire so-and-so in the first place, or her surprise at finding herself not satisfied with the state of affairs long after she should have realized, just keep happening.

I believe I said my prediction in TROS thread after hearing the reviews for TROS. It was based on what you just articulated.

So many directors let go and reshoots. The fact that the poor rating for Solo (I really liked the movie and think the timing for release was just bad) got other anthology movies as well as a later trilogy canceled was a huge sign to me things were not going well. Then, I thought completely walking back TLJ was a wild move. It's one thing to listen to your audience, but that seemed like the audience was dictating the movie they were making. Never a good sign.

Let's not only talk about Kennedy seemingly having no direction, but what director really would trust her at this point? They are told what they are doing is good, then "creative differences" results in them being fired. What reputable director is willingly going to take on a movie with Kennedy at this point?

I feel like the writing should be on the wall, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I don't honestly know what Kevin Fiege's roll is in the Star Wars universe - producer, right? But I have a feeling within the next year or two he's going to be knocking on that door of Lucasfilm president.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7923975/Ewan-McGregor-clarifies-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Star-Wars-TV-series-happening.html
Beat40
Brian Earl Spilner said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7923975/Ewan-McGregor-clarifies-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Star-Wars-TV-series-happening.html

Just because the release date isn't changing doesn't mean the product will be good. We've heard the same song and dance a few times now on a few projects. Most of the times we've been in a similar situation, the product hasn't been great. I just don't trust what Ewan says given history of the last few years.

I will obviously give it a chance and want it to be amazing!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Summer of 1991, I went to see Terminator 2 Judgment Day, and this teaser trailer played:

The making of that movie must have been a grade A clusterf... Given that the teaser had virtually nothing to do with the movie that came out in the summer of 1992. Alien 3 was a steaming pile. And I say that as someone who ranks Alien as the greatest (by far) monster movie ever made, and it is in my top 5 all-time.
Urban Ag
AG
Stating the release date won't change actually makes me think they'll screw it up even worse.

Look at Solo. Granted, I like the movie, but it seems most didn't. But it was probably the most effed up SW project since Disney took over. And after they fired the director, brought in Howard, did major re-shoots, etc, they still held tight to the May release. Why? It's not like the mouse can't afford to pump the brakes and push it to a Dec release or at least 4th of July, early August, or Labor Day. How much better could Solo have performed had they given it another 3-6 months of fine tuning. Not to mention it would have helped avoid the TLJ hangover.

I don't think Disney/Lucasfilm is nearly the cluster so many others do. R1 is one of my favorite films of all time. The Mando was great. The new Clone War season looks like it could be amazing. The new trilogy was just ok for me and Solo was serviceable. It's not a failure but it is absolutely an epic case of "what might have been".

Kennedy needs to go.

First Page Last Page
Page 894 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.