Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,885,866 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The 2D was actually a separate animated series altogether, and from 2003, I believe. Well before the current version.

And by the way, it was asbolutely sick. I've only ever seen clips, but just watch...

jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

I've never seen a single episode of The Clone Wars, but that trailer was incredible. (I know , I know, I need to give it a shot.)

So was this series cancelled at one point? And Disney+ brought it back? Or was it just a really long hiatus? Also, didn't it used be 2D animation in the beginning? Or has it always been 3D CGI?

The Tartakovsky series was 2D animation and was done on outlines that Lucas provided. That came out in 2003.

They 3D TCW came out in 2008, and was basically overseen by Lucas (who dumped a bunch of his own money into the project) and worked with Filoni to bring stuff to life. Basically Lucas would say here's what I want to do and Filoni would bring it to life. Of course there's a few episodes where you can definitely tell they were ones Lucas really wanted to do like the ones on Mortis. Filoni said that the idea was to have the show end right when ROTS was beginning.

Both series originally aired on Cartoon Network, but when Disney bought Lucasfilm the show was cancelled. Iirc it was because of how the distribution would have been handled between Cartoon Network, a WB company, and Lucasfilm who was now owned by Disney.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

I've never seen a single episode of The Clone Wars, but that trailer was incredible. (I know , I know, I need to give it a shot.)

So was this series cancelled at one point? And Disney+ brought it back? Or was it just a really long hiatus? Also, didn't it used be 2D animation in the beginning? Or has it always been 3D CGI?
There were some Clone Wars shorts that were each 5-10 minutes long and many of them just incredible, including one that introduced Grievous as a total bad ass and had a Jedi homage to Shaggy from Scooby-Doo(really) that were 2 D Japanese looking animation.

Then came the Clone Wars series, I don't remember what year that was in, but the first 3 episodes or so were strung together as a movie and put out in the theater introducing Asokha. Then it was a regular series after that.

These from the 2D series are just the baddest-ass things ever, especially the first one. I can't watch it enough and it's been out forever. The music where Anakin gets knighted, oh man.

Mace Windu vs. the CIS - everything the Jedi should have been in the prequels

Intro of Grievous - the Jedi are scared of him, which is a lot better than him coming across as a cowardly, bumbling chain smoker. In one of the prequel EU books, I can't remember which, there's a flashback to the attack on Geonosis. Some of the Jedi pursue the Geonosians into the catacombs beneath the planet, and that's where they've been creating Grievous in a lab. The scientists activate him and he just butchers the Jedi in those tunnels. If you've ever played the original Battlefront 2, you could play Grievous on the Tantive V and it reminds me of that, the passages are so narrow, he's covering 100% of the area with his lightsabers.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You guys bet me to it all -around!

Here's a blend of clips with a fake intro scroll of the entire invasion of Coruscant from that 2D series that ends with Grievous kidnapping Palpatine to get Anakin back to the system (I guess, you always wonder what would have happened if he didn't ever show up).

Really amazing stuff of Yoda (riding a horse!) fighting side by side with Mace Windu, Saesee Tinn getting to be a bad ass and an Ithorian Jedi with unique powers. The last 4 minutes at the actual beginning of ROTS. it's 22 minutes, so make sure the boss isn't looking. Oh, and Yoda's powers of "seeing things before they happen" in the first scene are about as crappy as they get for a Jedi master.

TCTTS
AG
Wow, thanks, guys. Got it.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

TCTTS

watch these two clips from the Point Rain episode. This is really as good as SW gets. D-Day/Private Ryan feel to it. Enjoy.

My kids and I really enjoyed TCW series. I pretty much zoned out during the weird Mortis/Sith Witches/whatever the F dark force user episodes were, but overall it's greatness. The military conflicts and bounty hunter episodes are fantastic. And it deep dives in to the Clone army which I really liked because I'm military nerdy that way.

These are epic.

The Collective
AG
That is an amazing trailer.
bluefire579
AG
TCTTS said:

It was a casualty of the LucasFilm purchase by Disney. The final (at the time) season was aired on Netflix instead of Cartoon Network, and they shifted to making Rebels.

There was a 2D animation one before this one, yes. I haven't actually watched it, so I can't comment on how connected it is to the 3D series.

Edit: Well, everyone else was right on top of it lol
Gangnam Style
AG
Parallel scenes from TCW: Season 7 and RotS.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/esdaxh/it_was_obviously_gonna_happen_but_here_are_two/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm fairly certain this means a much more in-depth look at Order 66, with all the different Jedi around the galaxy.

Cannot wait to see this.
jokershady
AG
Loved the trailer! Haven't followed discussions here but want to add something before I run to a client.

This will ABSOLUTELY take place at the same time as RotS! Two scenes in the trailer confirm it and I can't wait to see how they make it all interplay with one another!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
O/U 50% on a BY appearance?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If Order 66 happens while Maul and Asokha are having their duel, do the Clones target both of them as Jedi? Could we see them work together to escape an unending onslaught of clones? Really interested to know how that would work - do the clones have a built-in roster of Jedi that Tano would be on despite bailing on them? Or is it "kill anyone with a lightsaber" in which case they would target Maul as well?
TCTTS
AG
Hoping for the return of Matt the radar technician...

jokershady
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

If Order 66 happens while Maul and Asokha are having their duel, do the Clones target both of them as Jedi? Could we see them work together to escape an unending onslaught of clones? Really interested to know how that would work - do the clones have a built-in roster of Jedi that Tano would be on despite bailing on them? Or is it "kill anyone with a lightsaber" in which case they would target Maul as well?
You see I think this is why we end up getting dissatisfied sometimes with big releases and/or upcoming popular titles.

This sounds like an AMAZING idea and I would love to see it and now can't think of anything else that could possibly end that fight sequence and be just as cool.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I heard he has an 8-pack.
exitone
AG
Seeing a lot of the official social media releases for this today, Ashoka seems to be pretty prominent. I think she is going to have a pivotal role this season. They definitely have her in mind for another Disney a Plus show. Probably the Rebels sequel and maybe something else.
gougler08
AG
So if I was going to start a series...Rebels or Clone Wars?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You need to watch Clone Wars to get some of the biggest parts of Rebels.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've heard some not so great things about Rebels from my two Star Wars nerd buddies, and they've been pushing me to watch CW for years.
bluefire579
AG
gougler08 said:

So if I was going to start a series...Rebels or Clone Wars?
Clone Wars first, then Rebels. Gives a lot of context to both the prequel trilogy and to Rebels.
bluefire579
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've heard some not so great things about Rebels from my two Star Wars nerd buddies, and they've been pushing me to watch CW for years.
Rebels takes a while to get good. First season is meh, second season begins to find itself, and once certain villains enter the picture, it really takes off. Unfortunately, you have to get there first.
Dro07
AG
CW first
gougler08
AG
Thanks guys. About to start traveling a bunch so need something new to watch
jabberwalkie09
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

There's a lot of TCW die hards that are still upset it was cancelled and believe that Rebels was the cause. Of course this is misplaced and should be directed at Disney, but whatever. You, as someone who likes not only the PT but the OT iirc, would enjoy seeing both shows and the different eras imo.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
bluefire579 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Rebels takes a while to get good. First season is meh, second season begins to find itself, and once certain villains enter the picture, it really takes off. Unfortunately, you have to get there first.
Disagree entirely, 1st episode has one of the most iconic shots of anything put out since the OT. And you can tell the people working on the series really know and love their Star Wars lore, much like Mando.
Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS said:

I've never seen a single episode of The Clone Wars, but that trailer was incredible. (I know , I know, I need to give the show a shot.)

I have been watching and caught up on the CW and Rebels since D+ came out. I was the same, always avoided it for whatever reason. It is now one of my favorite aspects of the Star Wars saga. Some incredible world building and absolutely increases Obi Wan and Anakin to amazing levels.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
bluefire579
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

bluefire579 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Disagree entirely, 1st episode has one of the most iconic shots of anything put out since the OT. And you can tell the people working on the series really know and love their Star Wars lore, much like Mando.
I neither said skip it, nor that there weren't good moments in the first season. But story-wise, it leaves a lot to be desired. It's only when it comes into its own and takes a step up in maturity that it really takes off.

A show can still be great with subpar episodes or seasons. The Mandalorian and CW both have their down moments as well, but that doesn't take away from their greatness.
fig96
AG
Quote:

Then came the Clone Wars series, I don't remember what year that was in, but the first 3 episodes or so were strung together as a movie and put out in the theater introducing Asokha. Then it was a regular series after that.
If I'm not mistaken the film was a separate story, not eps of the show.

And already well covered, but IMO the 2D Clone Wars series is the best thing to come out of the Prequels. They're incredibly cinematic and just great storytelling, one of my faves is the "silent" Clone Troopers ep (along with Mace Windu finally doing everything you've ever wanted to see a Jedi do and Grievous being a badass).

Saxsoon
AG
Don't you dare watch Rebels before watching Clone Wars
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
AliasMan02
AG
bluefire579 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just rewatched Season 1 and it got going much faster than I remembered. Has a lot of really great moments and ends on an incredible high note.

Rebels may be the best Star Wars outside the OT.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

From reddit:
"The Galaxy's Edge Discord has lightsaber meet ups sometimes. Rey appeared at the last one, took some pictures and was about to leave. To thank her, we held our sabers over her head. The result was magical."
TCTTS
AG
It's time. Kennedy needs to go...

https://collider.com/obi-wan-series-delayed-disney-plus/
TCTTS
AG
I genuinely do not understand this "not happy with the script(s)" thing that is a constant issue at Lucasfilm. Why are script issues seemingly ALWAYS a last-minute surprise? Hey, Kathleen, YOU'RE IN CHARGE. How about, you know, do your job and oversee the creative process EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. As a producer who doesn't have final say so at times, has studio partners who are above my head, etc, I understand getting scripts back that aren't what you had hoped for. It's happened to me multiple times. But as the overseer of this entire process, Kennedy doesn't have to play nice with anyone or cede to someone else's vision/notes. She can say and do whatever she wants. She can have the writers pitch every movie and episode for her beat by beat before they type a single word of the actual scripts themselves. That way, the "surprises" are nipped in the bud before everything is announced, pre-production is in full swing, etc. I really, truly, do not understand how this KEEPS happening. Granted, I'm sure it's more complicated than any of us know, but still. No studio should have this much drama on nearly every project it develops. It's insane.
TCTTS
AG
More details. What an absolute sh*t show...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/obi-wan-kenobi-series-hold-as-calls-goes-new-scripts-1272499
First Page Last Page
Page 893 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.