Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,885,191 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saxsoon
AG
Rise of the Resistance ride is getting very positive buzz. 3 act structure with two different ride vehicles and nearly 18min long
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Dro07
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So cool.

https://twentytwowords.com/you-can-now-book-a-flight-on-uniteds-new-star-wars-themed-boeing-737-plane/

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/STARWARS

I made that exact flight (Houston to Orlando) just a few days earlier. Too bad I was flying Spirit...
gougler08
AG
I flew on ANA's R2D2 plane a couple years ago, was pretty awesome to have music playing while you boarded and the Star Wars characters do the safety briefing
tamusc
AG
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/12/04/star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance-disney-world-ride-review
twilly
AG
*** SPOILERS - CONTAINS RIDE FOOTAGE ***
Belton Ag
AG
That's incredible. I wish it had been ready when we were there this summer.
fig96
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Of course. I just got back from Disney last Friday. With no plans to return any time soon.
jbsj9698
AG
That was awesome! It must be dusty in here or something
maroon man
S
That was just utterly AMAZING. Wow.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Guess we can put that particular rumor rest...

https://collider.com/oscar-isaac-interview-poe-dameron-disney-plus-show/
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Want to send a big shout-out to John Williams for being named My 2019 Artist of the Year by Spotify.

Tough break to perennial Susan Lucci Hans Zimmer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
X-wing Drones flew over Galaxy's Edge last night to celebrate Rise of the Resistance.

A zillion photos and lots of cool descriptions from TheForce.Net's attendee, along with a lot of news about other upcoming Disney attractions.

http://www.theforce.net/v3-story/frontStar_Wars_Rise_of_the_Resistance_Grand_Opening_Event_185904.asp

redline248
AG
Can I buy an X-wing drone?
Saxsoon
AG
I am in utter awe of RotR. The ride looks incredible
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

1:30 of convo between Mark Hamill and Frank Oz
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

TLJ will ultimately be forgotten and de-canonized over the years. Not explicitly; but it will be the way.

The final Skywalker saga that is accepted will be JJ's duology - TFA and ROS.
TCTTS
AG
What's funny is that if you could somehow remove Snoke from TFA, and erase the final scene with Luke in TFA, I'm getting the feeling more and more that TROS will *almost* be able to play as a direct sequel to TFA. I mean, Abrams has basically said as much - that TLJ didn't undo anything he had planned. But instead of Snoke, if there was just some big bad who we didn't see pulling the strings behind the scenes in TFA, you could attribute that to Palpatine when he's reintroduced in TROS. And it would have been disappointing for sure, but they could have discovered toward the end of TFA that Luke died and is now a Force ghost or something. Otherwise, character arc wise, no one really changed in TLJ.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Except for Luke? It seems he's the major character arc in TLJ. But since he's dead now, I see your point.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

What's funny is that if you could somehow remove Snoke from TFA, and erase the final scene with Luke in TFA, I'm getting the feeling more and more that TROS will *almost* be able to play as a direct sequel to TFA. I mean, Abrams has basically said as much - that TLJ didn't undo anything he had planned. But instead of Snoke, if there was just some big bad who we didn't see pulling the strings behind the scenes in TFA, you could attribute that to Palpatine when he's reintroduced in TROS. And it would have been disappointing for sure, but they could have discovered toward the end of TFA that Luke died and is now a Force ghost or something. Otherwise, character arc wise, no one really changed in TLJ.
Rey learned the truth about the Jedi and the Force and her parents. Poe went from a lone operator to someone who can lead the team. Finn committed to the cause where before he was only in it for himself and Rey.

Of the three, Poe's was the weakest arc, but then again he's a guy who was supposed to die 30 minutes into TFA, so it's not like he had a huge setup planned. Finn's development was the greatest of the three. Rey did pretty much what she had to as far as the narrative goes, in that she had to encounter resistance in getting trained or else her arc would have been learning how awesome the Jedi were and she's really the Chosen One or something.

TLJ is far from my favorite Star Wars, but I feel like I'm always defending it because it gets saddled with undue baggage.

The Resistance Era isn't a trilogy like we expect from such things (and what REAL trilogies are there?), but then again neither was the Republic Era. Other than a few key characters just meeting each other, TPM is all filler. TCW and RotS are pretty much a duology that tell the rise and fall of Anakin.
TCTTS
AG
Sorry, but I'm in complete disagreement that Finn's was the greatest development of the three. By the end of TFA, if you would have asked me, "Is Finn committed to the Resistance?" I would have said, unequivocally, "Yes." I know he did what he did in the third act of TFA for Rey, but by that point, I didn't question his commitment to the Resistance at all. Now, I've said this before, but Abrams certainly didn't do Johnson any favors with Finn. I agree that Johnson was painted into a corner, and I probably would have given Finn the same arc in TLJ as well (I just would have realized it differently). But that doesn't mean it was a good or necessary arc.

As for Rey, what truth did she learn about the Jedi? She's actively ignored Luke more than she embraced his teachings, and then actually *stole* the Jedi texts. Granted, I think she'll take the Jedi-were-too-hubris lesson to heart going forward, but I didn't get the sense that she was truly changed. And while she learned that her parents were nobodies, we all know there's still more to her origin in TROS, as Abrams and Ridley have admitted as much. So while TROS won't undo her parentage, it will almost certainly nullify it.
AliasMan02
AG
Rey was definitely disabused of her notions of the mythical Jedi and Luke in particular. Her finding a man who blames the Jedi and himself for the wrong in the world rather than the hero she expected was a wake-up call.
redline248
AG
Poe was a team leader in TFA, he was just the best at flying. He also wasn't in subordinate. Why did he take a step back in TLJ?
TCTTS
AG
I'll give you that. I'll just be interested to see if that lesson is actually put to use in TROS.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

Poe was a team leader in TFA, he was just the best at flying. He also wasn't in subordinate. Why did he take a step back in TLJ?

Again, Poe died in the TIE crash in the TFA script, so he wasn't set up for much. He's mostly just a badass pilot and leader of the starfighter corps but that wasn't really in the cards in TLJ.

In TLJ he's largely a passenger. Everyone else's arc is about them putting trust in someone only to be let down, then having to overcome that disappointment. Poe doesn't really share that.

I guess maybe his misplaced trust is in himself, now that I think about it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Now that we're just 9 days away... opening weekend box office predictions?

I'm gonna say $225M.
tk for tu juan
First Page Last Page
Page 880 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.