Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,887,880 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You don't have her in the crawlspace right now, do you?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
redline248 said:

This image was in one of the replies to that thread. So much for "she's the fastest ship in the fleet..."

edit: maybe it's just due to maneuverability, but the Falcon always seemed better at handling twists and turns than any TIE
They should have the bombers from The Last Jedi be on here and be slower than someone riding a Bantha, or slower than Luke crawling on Hoth after escaping the Wampa cave.
redline248
AG
Damn you, I almost forgot about that whole sequence.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I just accidentally learned a new Star Wars fact today.

In 1979, they released A New Hope to build up the hype for Empire. The re-release of the A New Hope made more money in 1979 ($91 million) than every other movie that came out that year except Kramer vs. Kramer ($106 million).

The re-release was #2, then Amityville Horror ($86 million), Rocky II ($85 m), Stark Trek ($82 m), and Alien ($78.9 m)

Pretty great year for movies, top 10 also had Apocalypse Now, 10, The Jerk, Moonraker, and the Muppet Movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If they re-released ANH in 2014 before TFA, it would have done $100M+. Imho.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

She's dangerously close to having a unibrow.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow. I had no idea the clonetrooper helmet design was a mix between Boba Fett and the original stormtrooper.

And yet, it makes total sense. Mind blown.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Good analysis.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You serious, clark?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fantastic.

AliasMan02
AG
Watching TFA and the "rehash" criticism is really overblown. Really it's just a few things.

First Order is just the Empire, Resistance is just the Rebellion. Use of this as shorthand is totally justified to keep from having to establish the politics of new players, which was among the biggest criticism of the prequels. But it is a rehash.

Starkiller is just the Death Star. 100% a rehash, no question.

The hero is an orphan on a desert planet.

Honestly that's it other than just the fact that it contains lots of Star Wars visuals and set pieces. Characters are all unique and distinct. Plot is very different.

It's good, and has so many GREAT moments. Very excited to see how JJ wraps it up.
Sex Panther
AG
AliasMan02 said:

First Order is just the Empire, Resistance is just the Rebellion. Use of this as shorthand is totally justified to keep from having to establish the politics of new players, which was among the biggest criticism of the prequels. But it is a rehash.

Starkiller is just the Death Star. 100% a rehash, no question.

The hero is an orphan on a desert planet.

Honestly that's it other than just the fact that it contains lots of Star Wars visuals and set pieces.

lol yeah man, other than those specific major pieces... completely different
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bad guy wears a helmet and cape, and is a Skywalker.
redline248
AG
Quote:

Plot is very different
You mean the one where they have to blow up the giant super weapon before it puts an end to the rebellion...I mean resistance?

I think it was a nice plot mix of Star Wars and Jedi. Sneaking onto the planet like Endor, setting a bunch of explosives like the shield generator

I'll admit the Rathtars were new
tk for tu juan
Ag Since 83
AG
The biggest plot similarity is the search for the droid with the information everyone wants

I love the movie BTW
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I just accidentally learned a new Star Wars fact today.

In 1979, they released A New Hope to build up the hype for Empire. The re-release of the A New Hope made more money in 1979 ($91 million) than every other movie that came out that year except Kramer vs. Kramer ($106 million).

The re-release was #2, then Amityville Horror ($86 million), Rocky II ($85 m), Stark Trek ($82 m), and Alien ($78.9 m)

Pretty great year for movies, top 10 also had Apocalypse Now, 10, The Jerk, Moonraker, and the Muppet Movie.
I went to that re-release and I think that was the first time I ever sat through the entire end credits of any movie, for the point that they tacked on a preview to TESB at the end.

And I agree - 1979 was a damn good year for movies. I'd add 1941 to your list as well, maybe even The Black Hole and another movie that was awesomely hilarious for 12-yr-old me, The Villain (featuring Kirk Douglas in the title role and Arnold Schwarzenegger in his second - I think - role).
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Good for Ahmed Best...

jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

Quite a few out there apparently.
redline248
AG
Guys. The original clone wars cartoon was anime

twilly
AG
Of all the SW anime out there, this is the one that I like the most. Old school style....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What could have been...

fig96
AG
redline248 said:

Guys. The original clone wars cartoon was anime

This series was by far the best thing to come out of the prequels. If you haven't seen them do yourself a favor and track them down on YouTube.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What could have been...

In the annotated screenplays book, there's a draft where Luke kills Vader, accepts his dark fate, PUTS VADER's MASK ON, and Palpatine makes him aim the super laser at Endor before Leia arrives to redeem him somehow.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Shame she arrived in time to stop him.
Ulrich
I don't want to go on the official thread in case of spoilers, so... how good is the Mandalorian? Should I get Disney+ for it?
fig96
AG
Ulrich said:

I don't want to go on the official thread in case of spoilers, so... how good is the Mandalorian? Should I get Disney+ for it?
Yes, it's that good.
dave94
AG
Ulrich said:

A thousand times, yes. It's so much more than me as a Star Wars fan from the get go could have hoped it would be.

I know that sounds like an overreaction, but it really captures the world that we all have wanted to see, expanded from the Rebel-Empire conflict, while still feeling a part of that world.
First Page Last Page
Page 879 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.