Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,273 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
Pro Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

This reminds me...how different is Disney from Lucas when it comes to writing books? He'd let anyone write about whatever they wanted. Disney only seems interested in filling in stuff from old characters. Leia as a pre rebellion senator, Padme going from queen to senator, Phasma before Force Awakens, aftermath books, Asohka, etc.

Another thought: I wonder how popular the new books are relative to stories about force users.

Disney keeps tight control over what is written, at least in the sense that canon is preserved. The details of the story are pretty free for the author, it seems. Sometimes they go out and solicit certain books to be written. Other times, authors pitch the book to Disney. They're very keen to keep the thing on the rails, unlike the EU.

Books about Force users are kinda dicey. In the new canon, the books about Luke have been among the worst, and the whole Jedi thing is definitely part of the reason why, imo. Jedi and the Force are obviously a huge part, even the biggest part, of Star Wars, but in my experience they don't make great subjects for books. The Dark Side makes for great book material, as do things like the criminal underworld, smugglers, and bounty hunters. They're just more exciting and dramatic as characters than straight up Jedi. Maybe the new Master and Apprentice book will turn that trend around, because Claudia Gray is great at writing Star Wars.

Jedi do better in other mediums, though, like video games and comic books.

I think it will eventually be a great experiment to tell a Star Wars story in a book or film with ZERO connection to any known place or character. Or at least very little. Tell a small story about some new character struggling on some new world trying to get his freedom from some unknown warlord (or whatever). A new story with the Star Wars aesthetic. It's the thing I look forward to most about the D&D and Rian Johnson projects, the lesser connection to what we already know.

Re: the bolded part, I would like to know if Claudia wanted Holdo in the Leia book or if that was forced on her. I have liked her other stuff, Holdo to me in that felt forced.
AliasMan02
AG
I think the movies basically drive everything. Safe to say that Johnson created Holdo and Gray was fed a few small facts about her to expand on.
redline248
AG
What are the odds we get another new female character in a critical supporting role for 9?
TCTTS
AG
I'd say 100% considering Keri Russell is signed and already shot a fairly sizable role.
redline248
AG
I forgot all about her being in it. Heroine or villain, I wonder
Dro07
AG
Both. She will be Rey's heroin addicted mom that is bad
The Collective
AG
Keri Russell.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Closing in on page 800.

Flashdiaz
AG
Kerri Russell short hair - villian
long hair - hero
Dro07
AG
What if she has the "Can i speak to your manager" hair cut??
twilly
AG
dromo07 said:

What if she has the "Can i speak to your manager" hair cut??

Then her character's name is Karen.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
She'll be Kylo's love interest. His downfall.

The Collective
AG
redline248 said:

What are the odds we get another new female character in a critical supporting role for 9?

Hopefully someone who puts force ghost Luke in his place. The audience will love that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, *****

I moved last year and forgot to update my shipping adress for my Celebration passes.
Flashdiaz
AG
Let me know where they shipped to and I'll pick them up for you... I'll even send you pics from Celebration.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AliasMan02
AG
Just finished Queen's Shadow, the new book about Padme. It's very good. It covers a little more than a year from the end of her term as Queen, right up to the start of Episode II.

Many of the Star Wars books are essentially character pieces... Leia, Rebel Rising, Legends of Luke Skywalker, etc. and in that category, I think this one is clearly the best.
Liquid Wrench
"Star Wars: A New Hope - in concert."

Anyone been to one of these before? Idea sounds cool. But then I also remember all those school trips to go watch them do the pops concerts where we'd sit there for a couple of hours just to say "yeah some of that sounded familiar."

I'm sure it'll sell out before I can make a decision, but looks interesting.

Quote:

a complete showing of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope on the big screen at Jones Hall, with John Williams' epic, unforgettable score played live by the Houston Symphony.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Edit: stupid texags
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saw ESB played by the NY Philharmonic. Amazing experience.

If you're any kind of SW fan, I wouldn't miss it.
The Collective
AG

Has this been linked here yet?
Liquid Wrench
Isn't that the one Topher Grace did to practice editing?
The Collective
AG
Yes, and it's great.
AliasMan02
AG
FIRED UP!
maroon man
S
H O L Y
CRAP
THAT
WAS
GREAT!!!!!!!!

WOW.
Murder Hornet
AG
Chills, man. That was great!
Urban Ag
AG
CJS4715 said:

That

Was

Awesome

DB Coach
AG
CJS4715 said:

WOW!!!! Has he put anything else out for the general public? That is the only thing posted on Lou's Cafe.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

"Star Wars: A New Hope - in concert."

Anyone been to one of these before? Idea sounds cool. But then I also remember all those school trips to go watch them do the pops concerts where we'd sit there for a couple of hours just to say "yeah some of that sounded familiar."

I'm sure it'll sell out before I can make a decision, but looks interesting.

Quote:

a complete showing of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope on the big screen at Jones Hall, with John Williams' epic, unforgettable score played live by the Houston Symphony.

I went to something similar about 10 years ago at The Toyota Center featuring the Houston Symphony and highlights from the (then) 6 films. Anthony Daniels was the MC, and he was really funny and well-spoken.
twilly
AG
I went to the show in Dallas a few months back. You literally watch the entire movie while the symphony plays the score.

It's a very unique way to watch the movie. It's really cool when you get to see the intense music parts, like the trench run or tie fighter chase. Go see it!!!
YouBet
AG
Philo B 93 said:

I'm reading Dark Force Rising by Zahn (2nd book in the Thrawn trilogy). It's a little slow. Hope it picks up.
I just finished Heir To The Empire. Somehow never read it.

It was ok.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Flashdiaz
AG
The Collective
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 799 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.