Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,885,702 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vader is walking away on a platform and Han yells, "ANI". Would have been cool AF.
ccaggie05
AG
TCTTS said:

ccaggie05 said:

Is there any word on other Star Wars movies after episode IX? I remember seeing news that anthology films are on hold after lackluster results from Solo and I haven't really kept up with SW news since.

Here's the basic gist...

- It's sounding like the trilogy from Benioff & Weiss (the Game of Thrones writers/showrunners) will be the first out of the gate. My guess is a Christmas 2021 release. We have absolutely no word, however, on the plot/characters/time period. Literally no clue.

- Rian Johnson's trilogy will likely come next, possibly debuting Christmas 2022? Perhaps the B&W trilogy will rotate years with the Johnson trilogy? That's pure speculation, though. All we know of the plot of this trilogy is that it will most likely take place after Episode IX, but in a completely different part of the galaxy, with all new characters, a new storyline, etc.

- The anthology films have basically been scrapped as theatrical projects. That said, it's sounding like all of the anthology/ancillary concepts, from here on out, will now be "converted" to / released as limited series on Disney+ (Disney's new streaming service) beginning this fall with The Mandalorian. Disney+ is where we'll likely see any sequel adventures to Solo, in the form as limited series as well, along with what was once the Obi-Wan movie (but will now be a series), etc. Basically, by 2021 or so, it sounds like we'll be to the point where Disney is releasing multiple limited SW series on the platform per year, which will essentially take the place of the "anthology" movies.

Thanks to both of you for the updates.

So we still have at least six movies in the pipeline, which is great. I'm also excited that they may be getting away from the Skywalker storyline. I've always found Star Wars to be a fun sandbox for story telling and I look forward to seeing what we get in the upcoming films.

I don't mind the transition to limited series on Disney+ in regards to the anthology stuff. I've hesitant about how successful all these upcoming streaming services will be (Disney+, Apple, NBCUniversal Warner/AT&T), but I think between Star Wars and Marcel, they have an opportunity to put out some awesome new tv series.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Han Solo calling out Vader
In what way?
In ESB when Chewie goes bezerk and starts tossing stormtroopers off the carbon freeze platform.

I dont have the book anymore, but Han says, "Chewie, save your strength! There'll be another time." Then turns to glare at Vader and says "There'll be another time Vader, I promise."

Obviously that would have been incredible, but not really any kind of real threat for Vader. So they replaced it with him telling Chewie to take care of Leia.

SInce i was 6 years old, I have wondered why Chewie didn't charge Vader when the damn doors opened up in the banquet scene.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, relax. It's a movie. I just can't believe people are arguing over supernatural ghost "rules" when A) this franchise has had so many different authors, and B) it's beyond clear that they've basically been making sh*t up as they go. I remember thinking it was ridiculous that Qui-Gon could jump like 50 feet in the air in TPM. But you know why Lucas likely gave him that ability? Not because it was written in some preordained bible of Jedi powers, but because the set designer came up with a cool, multi-level, multi-bridge set, and Lucas was probably like, "I need a way for Qui-Gon to quickly get up to that next level. Screw it, Jedi can jump super high now too." I just can't imagine - in a movie where Luke transports his likeness/consciousness to a completely different part of the galaxy, and everyone's ok with that - then getting upset that Yoda couldn't have learned a trick or two in Jedi heaven in the last 25 years or so as well.

Sorry, was driving at the time. The number of writers, Lucas was the one at the top for much of the franchise's history. We could discuss whether that was a good thing or bad thing til the cows come home, and I won't disagree that Lucas would take advantage of things to make the films more visually appealing with things like you cited with the force jumping though as BES pointed out that was established in ESB.

Also, Yoda did sort of a force projection to Ezra when he was in the Temple on Lothal in Rebels. So, like I said earlier I can accept Luke force projecting from the temple he's at in TLJ.

Of the various issues TLJ has, this was definitely one of them and just the one we happened to be discussing at the time. YMMV on how you view canon/continuity for Star Wars I guess. But I think that this whole discussion is really discussing the symptoms the film presented, rather than the issues at their core which surrounds Johnson, Kennedy, and Story Group (who ever was involved from that group).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, Chewie hung out with Yoda back in the day, so he knows what Jedi can do.

Probably a good move.
twilly
AG
I know this is after the fact in real time, but in TCW, Qui-Gon was a force ghost to both Yoda and Obi Wan in a couple of episodes. One of which was the Mortis arc.

Yes, that's an ex post facto example, but in the SW Universe, it establishes force ghost capabilities.

So the question is....for Ep IX, how does Luke learn to become a force ghost? The sacred Jedi texts?
AliasMan02
AG
twilly said:

I know this is after the fact in real time, but in TCW, Qui-Gon was a force ghost to both Yoda and Obi Wan in a couple of episodes. One of which was the Mortis arc.

Yes, that's an ex post facto example, but in the SW Universe, it establishes force ghost capabilities.

So the question is....for Ep IX, how does Luke learn to become a force ghost? The sacred Jedi texts?

How did Anakin? It's always been problematic.
twilly
AG
AliasMan02 said:

twilly said:

How did Anakin? It's always been problematic.
My "late night geek talk with nothing better to do" crowd always said that while Vader was hunting Jedi, he was also hunting for holochrons, and learned the secret there. Once he turned back to the light, he could use the power.
Flashdiaz
AG
Jedi texts, meditating, Jedi artifacts all done offscreen. I have no problem with this.
The Collective
AG
I really wish the movies would mention Vader seeking out artifacts; I thought Rogue One or TLJ would do it.
redline248
AG
Earlier, someone posed the question about Yoda or Obi-Wan not intervening in the original trilogy. Obi-Wan specifically told Luke he couldn't interfere, which I always took literally. He literally could not...you know, bc he's dead. It feels like Johnson threw that notion out the window.

I don't need Luke coming back and physically affecting anything. Force ghost mentor is fine. However, since the possibility now exists it won't catch me off guard of it happens.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
twilly said:

Page-turners, they were not.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Prophet00
AG
OMG, I'll already be there the next week. I was not expecting it to be open until November/December.

This changes everything.
The Collective
AG
Just so happens I just found a professional conference I need to attend in Orlando in November.
Belton Ag
AG
Way sooner than I would have expected. I booked Anaheim in August figuring it would be later in the Summer. And August for Orlando was totally out of my line of thinking.
OnlyForNow
AG
I'll be there May 7th...
lol

Damn.
Flashdiaz
AG
yes! Roleplay is encouraged there right??

twilly
AG
FYI,

Iger showed a clip from Ep. IX at the shareholder meeting, Expect poor quality videos to hit the interwebs shortly.
TCTTS
AG
Footage from that meeting isn't leaking. This isn't Comic-Con.
twilly
AG
Check out the fine print

Understatement of the month....Capacity is limited
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

Footage from that meeting isn't leaking. This isn't Comic-Con.

Yea, pretty sure they showed footage from Rogue One at the annual meeting one year, and it never hit the web.
Belton Ag
AG
Damn, rise of the resistance won't be open. Now I'm rethinking my plans.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AUGUST!!!

**** yes.

Time to put in my vacation time.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Nobody really knows yet, but my best guess up to now has been they'll open at or around Thanksgiving.

But on the other hand, Thanksgiving weekend is packed either way, so they don't need the extra crowds and maybe they wait till after.

It's kind of a tossup at this point, but I can tell you there's been some really fast progress in the past few months.
Well there you go Cinco. No worries.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
will be in Disneyland 2nd week of June
Disneyworld 2nd week of Jan
OnlyForNow
AG
Can y'all give me your run-downs of Epcot in 1 day?

What to see what to skip?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Must do's:
Test Track
Mission: Space
Soarin'
Spaceship Earth (Not so much for the kids, but for the older kids / adults, it's pretty great.)
Frozen (If you have kids)

Plenty of other stuff that isn't as critical but cool to see, like the Finding Nemo ride and aquarium, the Pixar / Disney Shorts Film Festival, etc.

But definitely carve out enough time to stroll around the different countries in the world pavilions. Plenty of stuff to see, food to try, stores, restaurants, etc.

The Mexico pavilion has a pretty good restaurant inside, which is overlooking the river boat ride.

And the Canada restaurant is supposed to be one of the best in the park.
redline248
AG
Test track sucks. Don't waste your time
OnlyForNow
AG
It's the wife and I only, no kids.

We're going to Orlando and we both enjoyed Epcot as kids but neither have been back since we were like 7-10.

So that's a nice list.

Any inside info on how to get fast passes and what to get them for?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
From what I have seen in recent visits, the line usually isn't too bad for Mission: Space, so I would get fastpasses for Test Track, Soarin', and maybe Frozen.

A good trick is if you use your 3 fastpasses early in the day, once you've used them all, you can book another one for that day.

And if you're getting there early in the morning, go straight to Spaceship Earth, as it's the first ride in the park and far away from everything else.

Edit: Oh, and the fastpasses are booked via the Disney app. If you don't have it, you'll definitely want to do that.
gougler08
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Must do's:
Test Track
Mission: Space
Soarin'
Spaceship Earth (Not so much for the kids, but for the older kids / adults, it's pretty great.)
Frozen (If you have kids)

Plenty of other stuff that isn't as critical but cool to see, like the Finding Nemo ride and aquarium, the Pixar / Disney Shorts Film Festival, etc.

But definitely carve out enough time to stroll around the different countries in the world pavilions. Plenty of stuff to see, food to try, stores, restaurants, etc.

The Mexico pavilion has a pretty good restaurant inside, which is overlooking the river boat ride.

And the Canada restaurant is supposed to be one of the best in the park.
The Moroccan restaurant is outstanding
Urban Ag
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Can y'all give me your run-downs of Epcot in 1 day?

What to see what to skip?
It's the best park for drinking. Go to the World Showcase. Hit Canada and Germany for beers. France and Italy for wine. Mexico for margaritas. Japan for sake. UK for scotch or whiskey.

The La Cellier Steakhouse in Canada is actually really good. At least it was last time I was there.

My other favorite is the little beer garden/popcorn stand in Canada. Labatt's and Moosehead on draft. We got stuck there for an hour when a storm came through. Me and another dad had a blast downing pints being served by some really cute Canadian college girls who were serving. Our wives were thrilled.

Outside of that, the test track ride and the one where you're flying are pretty good but the rest of the park is snore fest.
OnlyForNow
AG
so what's the deal with the food and drink in the world area?

Is it free or reduced cost and just samples or full price?
First Page Last Page
Page 797 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.