Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,887,220 Views | 43964 Replies | Last: 55 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Flashdiaz said:

agracer said:

Then the crap that is TLJ comes out and IMO a lot of folks just piled on TFA b/c the crap from the 2nd movie spilled over into the first.

it's not that it spilled over, it's that TLJ did nothing to supplement TLJ. In fact, it went out of it's way to do the opposite.
that was kind of my point
Flashdiaz
AG
Yeah we'll i enhanced it. Think of it as a special edition.
Hello there
Hey, what did everyone think of The Last Jedi?
Hello there
Star Wars if it used the original concept designs

TCTTS
AG
Wow, that's pretty cool.
Dro07
AG
Karabast!
Urban Ag
AG
Finally was able to get in a re-watch of Solo now that it's on Netflix.

I think history is going to treat this movie well. I watched it in three parts without anyone distracting me and was really able to focus. Noticed a lot of little details I missed in the theatre. Didn't realize they were building Star Destroyers in the shipyard on Corelia or that some of alien species from R1 were also in Solo, or even that Warwick Davis was in it.

I think the casting was superb and the acting legit. Donald Glover clearly pulled off a young Lando nearly perfectly but after a second watch, I really think Alden Ehrenreich did an amazing job of replicating Han, albeit in a younger and slightly less sarcastic manner. He nailed the combination of confidence tempered with some insecurity that Ford built in to the character. Emilia Clarke hasn't gotten enough credit IMO for her role as Qi'ra and in particular the emotional scenes were convincing (reuniting with Han and the final scene before she left). The Chewbacca/Han dynamic was perfect, solidifying them (at least in my mind) as the best buddy duo in movie history. The pace is good throughout and action sequences were solid.

My only (minor) complaints was the giant space monster thing was a little too much and the relationship between Lando and the droid was just awkward, especially when she got blasted. That's pretty minor when compared to TFA or the TLJ.

I really hope at some point there is some renewed interest in a sequel with these characters. Han and Chewie travel to Tatooine and becomes part of Jabba's crew and end up in some sort of turf war with Crimson Dawn. Would be really cool to see Han/Chewie working with Boba Fett, Greedo, and the others we're familiar with from the OT, against a common enemy. Endless possibilities there, especially with Maul returning. Even opens up the door for an Obi Wan cameo, Han/Qi'ra reunited (at least briefly), and more run ins with the Empire and the fledging rebellion.

Anyway, I liked Solo the first time around but admit that even I may have had some SW fatigue and didn't fully give it a chance. This movie is great.
TCTTS
AG
Well said.
Urban Ag
AG
Hello there said:

That's so awesome. I can literally remember every one of those Ralph McQuarrie concept art pieces. In late 70's/early 80's, my brother and I would get our quarterly "Bantha Tracks" newsletter and they'd have them in there. Eventually found the "art of" collections that contained them all. Great stuff.
The Collective
AG
I found myself bored when I saw Solo in theaters the first time, didn't even go back for a second viewing at the theater. I've watched it at home multiple times since its release and really like it. I believe I just walked into the movie with low expectations and immediately allowed the alien in the opening sequence to take me out of the film. I like it, particularly the third act of the movie. Han shooting first still brings a huge smile to my face.
wangus12
AG
Loved Solo in theater and I'm still holding out hope that they give that cast another shot.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Did you find C3-PO and R2-D2 in the droid breakout scene?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

some SW fatigue
There was a time when I would never have believed something like this could ever be written, let alone a reality. But yeah, with the failure of TLJ and Solo coming so quickly after, I also felt a bit of this fatigue. Solo is the only Star Wars movie that I saw just once theatrically, and that's not because of its quality. Solo was a lot of fun as a movie, I really enjoyed how Ron Howard portrayed the younger versions of characters that were familiar to everyone. I've rewatched Solo a couple of times now that I own it, and yes, that movie stands up quite well.
Hello there
I'll be honest, I've still only seen Solo once, and liked it but didn't love it. (I've never seen an episodic SW movie less than 3 times in theaters.)

Really want to give it another watch now that's it on Netflix.
Malachi Constant
AG
Did Solo technically LOSE money? I think a sequel would do very well because of the word-of-mouth praise Solo received.
Duncan Idaho
Every movie "technically" loses money. Most truely do lose money

https://priceonomics.com/why-do-all-hollywood-movies-lose-money/
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

Did Solo technically LOSE money? I think a sequel would do very well because of the word-of-mouth praise Solo received.
I think it made somewhere between 400 and 450 million worldwide
It cost between 250 and 300 million to make
and the marketing was 100 to 150 million.

So it was on the edge. I do think its reputation will continue to grow as a "better" star wars movie. I do hope we see the characters again, even it they are only in the cantina in an Obi-Wan movie.
Urban Ag
AG
Sarduakar said:

No. You serious Clark?
AliasMan02
AG
Overlooked is the performance by Joonas as Chewie, not just in Solo but in TFA and TLJ as well. Our favorite Wookie has never performed better.
Flashdiaz
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Our favorite Wookie has never performed better.
WestAustinAg
AG
PatAg said:

daggertx said:

Urban Ag said:

TV Casualty said:

PatAg said:

So we're in the bad fan fiction part of the year eh?

Disney could have made better movies going off of fan fiction on the internet rather than the crap Abrams, Kennedy, and Johnson have been shoveling our way.
Slightly perplexed by this sentiment.

We're four movies in with Disney.

The Force Awakens was good, not great, but good.
Rogue One was absolutely amazing. Top 3 general consensus.
TLJ was bad. No argument there.
Solo was good. Better than TFA in my opinion. Generally well received by critics and fans alike. It had disappointing performance at the box office but there are a lot of compelling reasons to explain that beyond the quality of the film itself.

Disney is not hitting it out of the park with SW the way they are with the MCU. But to act like SW has become hot garbage overall seems completely unfounded.
TLJ killed star wars for me and a lot of people. I no longer care about it at all and will no longer pay money to see the movies.

Its dead Jim,

Also, the force awakens was jar jar territory. I loved the part when mary sue beat a sith having never used a lightsaber before, and the exact same plot as a New Hope. Really?

No actual Star Wars fan would say this.

Happened to me as well. Yet I still like talking about the series - it was my childhood so much nostalgia is wrapped up in this series.. I may watch the next one at some point but it will be delayed and maybe in rental.. #stillaStarWarsfan but will no longer run to the opening with the excitement of a child (as I did from the beginning.
WestAustinAg
AG
Hello there said:

When was this made? That's awesome.
AliasMan02
AG
Flashdiaz said:

AliasMan02 said:

Our favorite Wookie has never performed better.

Love Mr. Mahew, and he is responsible for creating the Chewie pantomime we love... the head wobble and how he moves and all that. But, I think Joonas is a better actor in the suit.
double aught
AG
Urban Ag said:

Finally was able to get in a re-watch of Solo now that it's on Netflix.

I think history is going to treat this movie well. I watched it in three parts without anyone distracting me and was really able to focus. Noticed a lot of little details I missed in the theatre. Didn't realize they were building Star Destroyers in the shipyard on Corelia or that some of alien species from R1 were also in Solo, or even that Warwick Davis was in it.

I think the casting was superb and the acting legit. Donald Glover clearly pulled off a young Lando nearly perfectly but after a second watch, I really think Alden Ehrenreich did an amazing job of replicating Han, albeit in a younger and slightly less sarcastic manner. He nailed the combination of confidence tempered with some insecurity that Ford built in to the character. Emilia Clarke hasn't gotten enough credit IMO for her role as Qi'ra and in particular the emotional scenes were convincing (reuniting with Han and the final scene before she left). The Chewbacca/Han dynamic was perfect, solidifying them (at least in my mind) as the best buddy duo in movie history. The pace is good throughout and action sequences were solid.

My only (minor) complaints was the giant space monster thing was a little too much and the relationship between Lando and the droid was just awkward, especially when she got blasted. That's pretty minor when compared to TFA or the TLJ.

I really hope at some point there is some renewed interest in a sequel with these characters. Han and Chewie travel to Tatooine and becomes part of Jabba's crew and end up in some sort of turf war with Crimson Dawn. Would be really cool to see Han/Chewie working with Boba Fett, Greedo, and the others we're familiar with from the OT, against a common enemy. Endless possibilities there, especially with Maul returning. Even opens up the door for an Obi Wan cameo, Han/Qi'ra reunited (at least briefly), and more run ins with the Empire and the fledging rebellion.

Anyway, I liked Solo the first time around but admit that even I may have had some SW fatigue and didn't fully give it a chance. This movie is great.
All the more impressive when you consider the director turmoil. Fun movie.
hurleyag
AG
When in doubt, go with the Ron Howard! I remember everyone being concerned when he took over, but I was optimistic. Granted, Willow is also my favorite movie, so there's that.
Gigem314
AG
wangus12 said:

Loved Solo in theater and I'm still holding out hope that they give that cast another shot.
Yeah I never understood all the hand-wringing over this one. I thought it was a well-made Star Wars film. I think its only problem was coming after TLJ. If it had come out after TFA, I think it would have done really well.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Urban Ag said:

Sarduakar said:

No. You serious Clark?
Yeah they are there. it is basically side shots of them.
twilly
AG
WestAustinAg said:

Hello there said:

When was this made? That's awesome.
This came out in December 2017.
twilly
AG
Sarduakar said:

Urban Ag said:

Sarduakar said:

No. You serious Clark?
Yeah they are there. it is basically side shots of them.
From StarWarsReport.com

Quote:

C3PO and R2D2 Solo was the first star wars film without the presence of these two droids (even though original C3PO actor, Anthony Daniels, did debut as one of the wookies that Chewie helped free on Kessel).
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I thought Anthony Daniels was a human slave that says something, not a Wookie

and there IS an Astro Mech droid with R2-D2 color scheme in the droid break out with a protocol droid following it. they may not claim it is them but that is in there.

so I am just going to go on believe they were broken out of there at the start of the "rebelliion"
twilly
AG
Sarduakar said:

I thought Anthony Daniels was a human slave that says something, not a Wookie

and there IS an Astro Mech droid with R2-D2 color scheme in the droid break out with a protocol droid following it. they may not claim it is them but that is in there.

so I am just going to go on believe they were broken out of there at the start of the "rebelliion"
You are right about Daniels being a human, not a wookie.

From an interview with John Kasdan (Solo's writer):

Quote:

(Kasdan) then elaborated, explaining that "in the 'Papillon'-type offshoot story, the Wookiee that helps them escape, Chewbacca's best friend, is played by Anthony Daniels and beckons him to join them as they escape on a different ship." After the interviewer pointed out that this will be the first "Star Wars" movie not to feature C-3PO or R2-D2, Kasdan responded by saying that "there are a lot of things about this movie that are different from all the others."
Not a straight denial, but not a confirmation either.
Malachi Constant
AG
Gigem314 said:

wangus12 said:

Yeah I never understood all the hand-wringing over this one. I thought it was a well-made Star Wars film. I think its only problem was coming after TLJ. If it had come out after TFA, I think it would have done really well.
I've always maintained the Solo should have been a December release as is tradition with SW. It was simply too soon after TLJ.

Leading up to it the headlines would've read "Can Ron Howard's Solo save the Star Wars Franchise?" and it would have undoubtedly had better BO numbers.
TCTTS
AG
Blame Mary Poppins Returns. Disney thought it was more important to make that a December/holiday release than for Star Wars to remain in that spot. Instead, Disney should have either scrapped or delayed The Nutcrakcer and the Four Realms to 2019, which released in November, moved Mary Poppins to that slot, and then moved Solo to December, where it belongs. Aquaman likely would have moved up to November as well, and Solo would have cleaned up against Bumblebee.
Hello there
https://instagr.am/p/Bsq7mwVFQ5-
fig96
AG
Hello there said:

First Page Last Page
Page 784 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.