Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,885,270 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
Living Legend
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Confirmed. Favreau not directing any of the episodes, but it sounds like he's pretty hands on (seeing as he wrote the whole thing). Here's the breakdown...

Quote:

101 Dave Filoni
102 Rick Famuyiwa
103 Deborah Chow
104 Bryce Dallas Howard
105 Dave Filoni
106 Rick Famuyiwa
107 Deborah Chow
108 Taika Waititi

As you can see Dave Filoni, Deborah Chow, and Rick Famuyiwa are directing two episodes each. While Jon Favreau is not directing any episodes, we have seen him around the set and he seemed pretty involved with the work being conducted.

Meh...the writers are more important than the director for tv shows.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. And with the same DP throughout, I'm not worried.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Lion King finished production months and months ago, and it's not like there was that much actual "filming" anyway. I imagine the edit was basically locked a while back as well. At his point he's probably just overseeing visual effects and what not.
Ive got a friend working on this in Vancouver, they were deep into it about a year ago and the process sounded genuinely insane. I can't even attempt to do justice to what he told me about it as it's been a bit, but it was wild.

And yes, I'd imagine they're pretty much done with production by now.
TCTTS
AG
Man, that's awesome. What a cool experience. So curious as to how they've pulled it off, what it's going to look like, etc. We'll almost assuredly get the first trailer before the end of the year, I'm assuming with Mary Poppins in December.
TCTTS
AG
Speaking of trailers, I'm so curious as to how Disney will handle the marketing of the series alongside the marketing of Episode IX. All indications are that Disney's new steaming platform, and thus the show, will launch toward the end of 2019. But seeing as Episode IX hits at the end of 2019 as well, how will they stagger the trailers so as to not step on each other's toes? We'll no doubt see the first Episode IX trailer in April at Celebration, but it would only make sense to debut footage from the show there as well, I'm assuming. Then maybe another trailer for the series in August/September, with the final/full trailer for Episode IX in October (as has been the tradition)? Then the launch of the streaming platform/series in November, followed by Episode IX in December? Or do the series and Episode IX need to be further apart?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sorry for the small deviation --

I bet the trailer will be the full "Circle of Life" song just like the original trailer.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Jesus, rebooting Lion King, Mary Poppins, and Little Mermaid? Why the F- for? Out of ideas or just cash strapped? Or maybe they need to add "their truth" and a sprinkle of SJW to each...
gougler08
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Jesus, rebooting Lion King, Mary Poppins, and Little Mermaid? Why the F- for? Out of ideas or just cash strapped? Or maybe they need to add "their truth" and a sprinkle of SJW to each...

They aren't really reboots are they? Exact same story (if they are similar to Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast) just making them live action

And Disney likes money, that's why they are doing it
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is that a serious question?

It's a guaranteed billion dollars for LK and likely for Aladdin as well. (See: Beauty and the Beast)

Why wouldn't they snatch up easy money?
Flashdiaz
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

at least they're not gender switching the characters like Ghostbusters, Oceans 8 and the Next Karate Kid.
Belton Ag
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

I have a 9 year old and 6 year old, both girls, at home. I anticipate spending hundreds of dollars on trips to the movies, merchandise, toys etc. just for these movies. That's why they do it. My youngest saw the trailer for Mary Poppins a week or two ago and that's all she's talked about.
The Collective
AG
Why does Disney keep pimping Cinderella and her castle? Have they run out of ideas?
The Collective
Hagen95
AG
This is the Star Wars thread. Go talk Disney retreads somewhere else.
The Collective
AG
Hagen95 said:

Go talk Disney retreads somewhere else.

redline248
AG
Do we need a separate Disney thread? I'm about to get in the weeds, here.

Kind of in line with the idea that Disney is all about sjw, these days...
Can anyone pinpoint when Disney made the switch from damsel in distress princesses? Little Mermaid is the first I can think about. She lost her voice, but she was the actual hero of the story. Not the prince, not her dad, etc.

Since then, I can't think of a single princess that wasn't strong, heroic, brave, etc.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Do we need a separate Disney thread? I'm about to get in the weeds, here.

Kind of in line with the idea that Disney is all about sjw, these days...
Can anyone pinpoint when Disney made the switch from damsel in distress princesses? Little Mermaid is the first I can think about. She lost her voice, but she was the actual hero of the story. Not the prince, not her dad, etc.

Since then, I can't think of a single princess that wasn't strong, heroic, brave, etc.
Jasmine didn't do all that much. Aladin was the brave one. They were really pushing Disney princes then.
redline248
AG
Yeah, but she was all strong willed, and wouldn't marry just bc her dad said she should, etc.

?itemid=11970375
Urban Ag
AG
Belton Ag said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

I have a 9 year old and 6 year old, both girls, at home. I anticipate spending hundreds of dollars on trips to the movies, merchandise, toys etc. just for these movies. That's why they do it. My youngest saw the trailer for Mary Poppins a week or two ago and that's all she's talked about.
I have 13 and 10 year old boys. Earlier this year, my wife comes home from HEB and informs the three of us that because we drag her to all these Star Wars and Marvel movies, she stopped by Red Box and rented the new Beauty and the Beast and would be watching as a family.

My boys flung themselves on the floor and started flopping around like fish out of water. I went straight to the liquor cabinet. But you know what, we actually really liked it.
The Collective
AG
There were only what, 3 princesses before Ariel?

Snow White is about the most anti-feminist Disney princess.
Belton Ag
AG
Urban Ag said:

Belton Ag said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

I have 13 and 10 year old boys. Earlier this year, my wife comes home from HEB and informs the three of us that because we drag her to all these Star Wars and Marvel movies, she stopped by Red Box and rented the new Beauty and the Beast and would be watching as a family.

My boys flung themselves on the floor and started flopping around like fish out of water. I went straight to the liquor cabinet. But you know what, we actually really liked it.
I get the good with the bad, my 9 year old loves princesses and all that stuff, but she also loves Star Wars so she and I nerd out together. My youngest doesn't care about Star Wars but she did like meeting Chewbacca at Disneyland.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The real question is --

Is Leia a Disney Princess?
bearamedic99
AG
Nope

and they just announced that they are doing a live action reboot of Lilo and Stitch
bearamedic99
AG
and while it's cool to post writers, directors, setting, and such for the Mandalorian, could we avoid digging too deep into the show to avoid spoilers?
Flashdiaz
AG

but seriously, someone will create a *******The Mandalorian: Spoilers ************ thread once more info starts coming out.
The Collective
AG
Here comes the fight about what is a spoiler...
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

Actually, scratch that maybe. He's in the byline as "helmed by," which usually means "directed by," but in this case I can't tell if "helm" just means "overseeing."

Quote:

THE MANDALORIAN FIRST IMAGE, DIRECTORS REVEALED
DETAILS EMERGE FOR LUCASFILM'S LIVE-ACTION SERIES HELMED BY JON FAVREAU.
https://www.starwars.com/news/the-mandalorian-revealed
It clearly means Favreau is literally helming the Mandalorian, that he is the man under the helmet!
AliasMan02
AG
Can't say I love the name, but always glad for more Star Wars fiction. Although, writing vehicle combat (or any combat, really) is tough to do. The story will need to lean on something besides the fighters.

Flashdiaz
AG
Buxya!

I'm a dork
twilly
AG
I won't post the photo here, but something interesting was seen on the set of The Mandalorian.

Remember, this show takes place after ROTJ...

Set Photos of The Mandalorian show something very interesting
redline248
AG
Based on the Aftermath books, we know they were still around. What I don't know is the amount of time passed from the Battle of Jakku to the Mandalorian.
twilly
AG
Another spoiler from The Mandalorian.
Is Willrow Hood making an appearance in the new show?

https://instagr.am/p/Bo2ecqJhuRj

MASAXET
AG
twilly said:

Another spoiler from The Mandalorian.
Is Willrow Hood making an appearance in the new show?

https://instagr.am/p/Bo2ecqJhuRj

They have ice cream makers in the Star Wars universe?
Flashdiaz
AG
would you want to live in a galaxy without ice cream?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's made with blue milk.
First Page Last Page
Page 771 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.