Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,939 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Thoughts on

Star Wars: A New Order ?

A New Order.... will rise.
Claude!
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Thoughts on

Star Wars: A New Order ?

The working code title for that had damn well better be Blue Monday.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
dave94
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Anybody know where I can buy a Kenobi He's our only Hope Yard sign. I need it to counter the Beto and Cruz stuff. All I can find are bumper stickers.
The Collective
AG
I had this one made into a sign for my yard.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The casting of Dominic Monaghan in Ep IX actually marks the 7th time there's been a Middle Earth actor in Star Wars.

AverageJones
AG
Wow. Whoever is playing the Chairman of Utapau/Mouth of Sauron has some really bad teeth
Urban Ag
AG
AverageJones said:

Wow. Whoever is playing the Chairman of Utapau/Mouth of Sauron has some really bad teeth
Probably British
Malachi Constant
AG
Urban Ag said:

AverageJones said:

Probably British

He's also the guy in Mad Max Roadwarrior that has the parachute/fan contraption.

twilly
AG
Kinda Star Wars related, but more information coming out about Disney's streaming service:
Disney Streaming Service Has Name And Likely Price Tag
Dro07
AG
Quote:

Doesn't seem like we'll have much of a choice if you plan on legally watching Star Wars content at the touch of a button.
amercer
AG
There is no way they get 40 million subscribers for DisneyPlay.

Netflix has 118 million, but that's worldwide and they have 10x the content. Hulu only has 20 million.

This may turn out to be the longhorn network of streaming services...
Urban Ag
AG
Not sure I follow. Why wouldn't Disney get 40 million subs? And they'll be worldwide too, just like Netflix. Once Disney pulls content from Netflix tens of millions will flock to their service. I bet they get 40 million subscribers alone just on Star Wars and MCU content. At a forecasted $7/month they're going to kill it.
powerbelly
AG
amercer said:

There is no way they get 40 million subscribers for DisneyPlay.

Netflix has 118 million, but that's worldwide and they have 10x the content. Hulu only has 20 million.

This may turn out to be the longhorn network of streaming services...
I think they get to 40 million pretty easily. Every family with kids, Star Wars, and MCU fans. Especially when they pull their products from netflix.
Flashdiaz
AG
entertaining kids is a huge business and $7 a month is nothing to parents.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exactly my thoughts. I think they easily get 40M.
amercer
AG
I think you are way overestimating the crossover appeal of all of Disney's content to the subsets of fanboys. The casual marvel or star wars fan sees the movies in the theater and maybe owns the blu rays. The average family with small kids already gets the Disney channel and has Netflix, so when they need to turn something on for the kids they have lots of options.

Disney will need new content with the cultural impact of a Sopranos or Game of Thrones to get people to subscribe. I don't think a live action Star Wars show (as cool as that sounds) will do the trick.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this seems like another case of the prettiest girl at the dance deciding that if she had her own dance all the boys would come to that one instead. You need quality and quantity. I guess DisneyNOW could cannibalize the Disney channel like ESPN+ is doing to ESPN3, but I don't think they profit by encouraging more cord cutting.
dave94
AG
I'm assuming that the Disney channel ultimately goes away and all that content moves to the streaming platform. Isn't that kind of what this is all a part of? Moving from cable/satellite programming to streaming?
amercer
AG
That's the long game probably, but for now cable subscribers are way more valuable to Disney (the owner of ABC, ESPN, etc) than someone paying 7$ a month to stream.
fig96
AG
amercer said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but this seems like another case of the prettiest girl at the dance deciding that if she had her own dance all the boys would come to that one instead. You need quality and quantity. I guess DisneyNOW could cannibalize the Disney channel like ESPN+ is doing to ESPN3, but I don't think they profit by encouraging more cord cutting.
Like having every Disney animated feature available to your kids at the push of a button?

I think they've got the content covered. It may not be 40 million subs off the bat, but if these Star Wars shows are genuinely good it'll attract an audience real quick.
TCTTS
AG
I don't pay for Hulu, the CBS app, or plenty of others (just Netflix and Amazon), nor do I watch much Disney fare. But if the Star Wars show is even remotely good, I'll gladly spend $6 a month on it.
Dro07
AG
I guess we don't know if the Star Wars show will be a binge or weekly show yet eh? Probably string it out to keep people paying the monthly fee instead of just 1 month for binging
jackie childs
amercer said:

That's the long game probably, but for now cable subscribers are way more valuable to Disney (the owner of ABC, ESPN, etc) than someone paying 7$ a month to stream.
at a $7/mo price point, i'm not sure you're losing a ton of cable subscribers anyway. that's like renting one movie a month "on demand".

what i think disney is counting on is getting their streaming service up and going so they're prepared and well-situated as the number of cord cutters continues to grow.
amercer
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't pay for Hulu, the CBS app, or plenty of others (just Netflix and Amazon), nor do I watch much Disney fare. But if the Star Wars show is even remotely good, I'll gladly spend $6 a month on it.

So they can count on 18$ from you.

Only $299,999,982 more to go to recover what they are losing by scraping their Netflix deal!

Of all the content creators right now, Disney is king. I still think it's a real gamble.
The Collective
AG
Wonder how bad Disney is getting hit on the blu ray / download market. It's pretty well known that you just have to wait a few months, and their content hits Netflix.
TCTTS
AG
I'm just saying, there are probably millions of others just like me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Said it before and I'll say it again. Disney has a pretty huge library of classics. If they can get those all on their service, I don't see how it's not a massive success.

(Not even taking into account Marvel and Star Wars.)
AliasMan02
AG
Disney could only put the Pixar/Disney Animation work from the last 20 years on the service and still hit 40 million subs, I'm sure.

Let's also not forget that this is also an investment for the future. Disney knows as well as anyone that this sort of delivery method will be far more important than cable television or even networks a decade from now.
Farmer1906
AG
I kind of think Disney passes on putting all their movies on there at the same time.
The Collective
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I kind of think Disney passes on putting all their movies on there at the same time.

Playing the vault game with streaming?
Farmer1906
AG
CJS4715 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Playing the vault game with streaming?

Yup. They have to keep up sales for digital buys.
redline248
AG
Well, most of their movies have all been purchased by millions of families before they ever thought about streaming. For instance, we already own 15 of their newest or most popular classic movies.

They'll have to take whatever their newest movie is and put on the streaming service for a couple of months before they put it on sale.
TCTTS
AG

This is so, so good.

I've always disliked TLJ from the very first sequence, the very first time I saw it in theaters, but I've gone back and forth so many times as to what about it was smart, what wasn't, what worked, what didn't, etc. I've tried and tried to give certain aspects of it the benefit of the doubt, despite the fact that it's never worked as a whole, but this video finally sent me over the edge.

I officially hate The Last Jedi.

Not only that, but I can no longer be the Rian Johnson defender I once was. In a town full of assh*les, I put too much weight on the fact that he's an incredibly nice guy, and I let that cloud my judgement in terms of what he did to this movie. But this video finally opened my eyes as to just how boneheaded and pandering (not to SW fans, but certain nonsensical liberal sensibilities) he really was. I've always known this, on a certain level, but wrongfully assumed that his intentions were good natured and well meaning at their core. That's not to say I now believe his intentions were nefarious liberal propaganda or anything like that. No, now I just think his intensions were idiotic. Plain and simple.

This movie is so incredibly dumb. With maybe a couple minor flashes of brilliance here and there.

I'm not going to go as far as to b*tch and moan about Johnson ruining Star Wars, my childhood, etc - I'm a grown ass man who has more important sh*t to worry about at this point in my life - but man, The Last Jedi truly is a terrible movie, one that, for me, has extinguished all hope for the future of the franchise, save for whatever Benioff & Weiss are cooking up, and hopefully the TV show.

I'll of course continue to be curious about Episode IX, and have some faith that Abrams will end it on a fun note, if not a high one, but man, more than anything I'm just in "let's get it over with" mode when it comes to this trilogy.
First Page Last Page
Page 760 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.