Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,558 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

So in 2019 we're getting a season of Stranger Things, the final season of GOT, and a new Star Wars show unlike any previous one. I am personally looking forward to Chris Pine's show on TNT too .Its going to be a great year of TV.

Had the exact same thought and I'm working on a post as we speak. 2019 is an INSANE year for TV. Will be up later today, when I get a bit more time...
AliasMan02
AG
And analysts day it will likely only be 5/month
Hagen95
AG
AliasMan02 said:

And analysts day it will likely only be 5/month
for the first six months...
Farmer1906
AG
The amount of Disney my family consumes (Disney JR TV Shows, Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, Old Animation Movies, etc) it'll be well worth it.
TCTTS
AG
Sounds like the reason it'll be so cheap is because Disney won't retain the Star Wars movie rights until 2024. So, until then, I'm terms of Star Wars, only Episode IX and whatever SW shows they produce will be available on the platform. I'm sure the price will rise a bit over that five year period, but when they finally get the movies back, I bet at that point it becomes more equal to whatever Netflix/Amazon/Hulu will be doing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I give Disney so much of my damn money, and I'm happy to keep forking it over.

(Got a week long trip to Disney World coming up soon.)
TCTTS
AG
Also, the plan is to put all of Disney's more R-rated fare that they acquired from Fox on Hulu, since Disney now owns 60% of that service as well. In other words, the Disney streaming platform is going to stick way closer to the Disney brand, hence a slightly lower price point as well.
gougler08
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The amount of Disney my family consumes (Disney JR TV Shows, Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, Old Animation Movies, etc) it'll be well worth it.
+1
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I give Disney so much of my damn money, and I'm happy to keep forking it over.

(Got a week long trip to Disney World coming up soon.)
Did you get married and have kids without telling us?
Dro07
AG
So hulu won't be the streaming service they will use for Disney streaming is what I am getting from this?
TCTTS
AG
Huh?

When all is said and done...

Disney Streaming Service = New/Old Original Disney movies, New /Old Original Disney TV shows, Star Wars Moves, Star Wars TV Shows, Marvel Movies, non-Netflix Marvel TV shows, etc.

Hulu = Original Hulu TV shows, 20th Century Fox movies (all owned by Disney) + whatever movies and shows Hulu licenses
AliasMan02
AG
dromo07 said:

So hulu won't be the streaming service they will use for Disney streaming is what I am getting from this?

Definitely not. All new platform.
Dro07
AG
Got it. I don't know why i got it in my mind that when they acquired hulu they were doing it all on that. I wonder if it will be an add on package to Hulu.
Dro07
AG
dammit I am going to be poorerer soon
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I thought the whole idea of acquiring Fox was to put their content on the Disney streaming service.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Niece and nephew.

All the fun of kids, none of the responsibility.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I thought the whole idea of acquiring Fox was to put their content on the Disney streaming service.

I think the lighter/genre 20th Century Fox fare will go up on the Disney platform. Like Ice Age, Avatar, probably even X-Men, etc. But the report I read said that the R-rated 20th Century Fox titles are likely going up on Hulu. And that makes sense. There's no way Disney is putting Die Hard and Alien on the same platform as Lady and the Tramp. They want the new platform to feel distinctly Disney and retain what you'd expect from that brand.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Niece and nephew.

When are you going? I'll be there in November.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
September
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's just annoying.

If they really are going to go all in on their new streaming service, then put it all on there instead of splitting it up with Hulu.

If they want to be ubiquitous in the same way Netflix is, just create a section for the children's stuff, but put everything on the same platform.

I wouldn't even call it "Disney", just give it its own name and have it be its own thing.
Dro07
AG
Ya thats what I thought they were going to be doing or doing a add package to Hulu to where you had to get hulu then buy a $5 or whatever Disney package to that.
TCTTS
AG
But Disney is a whole different animal than Netflix. Disney's brand mostly IS "children's stuff." That said, I bet Disney ends up owning Hulu outright in a few years and the platforms end up merging at some point, and they figure out a way to better "brand" the various content of the company. I just think Disney is super skittish about promoting rated R content on a brand new platform. I could see that scaring some parents away, at least initially.
TCTTS
AG
Also, I don't think any of this is a set in stone yet. I'm just regurgitating what I read in a report, and adding some context.
Zemira
AG
Ugh another streaming service?

I am already paying for Amazon and Hulu.

I have Netflix on pause for now as I got to were I didn't watch much and worst case I ask my parents if I need it ASAP or I just enable it again.

I like Disney content, but unless something major changes between now and then and it remains at $5 or so a month I doubt I will pay for the content.

I definitely like streaming better than cable. My parents have 250 channels and there isn't much on and my mother has Hallmark on for background noise 3-4 hours a day.

The problem is as a single person I cannot consume that much content to make the cost worthwhile, even if each one is $10/month. If I had more than me it wouldn't be a big deal, but does one person need 4 different subscriptions??

Anyhow hopefully the Star Wars show is good. I could always talk my parents into subscribing and then I could watch Disney instead of Hallmark at their house.
Belton Ag
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Niece and nephew.

When are you going? I'll be there in November.
We're going to next summer to Anaheim when the new Star Wars section opens. So far it just says opening "Summer 2019" so I guess we'll roll the dice and book it for August.
double aught
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

September
Me too. Supposedly the slowest time of year there.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Niece and nephew.

You'll have a blast. Are you guys staying on property?

I was not a believer in DW (went a few times as a kid) until I took my offspring. Great experience.
The Collective
AG
Prepare for the absolute brutality of Florida humidity - September can absolutely suck balls. But, ya know what, it's a lot better than August heat + crowds.
Urban Ag
AG
CJS4715 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Niece and nephew.

You'll have a blast. Are you guys staying on property?

I was not a believer in DW (went a few times as a kid) until I took my offspring. Great experience.
We did Disney World twice with our sons and they loved it. Until they discovered Universal. Universal is Disney for boys, better rides, and without the gayness. Joking ! (kind of).

It is a good time and they serve beer and wine everywhere except Magic Kingdom, which helps immensely. They are also pretty lax on the bag search so vodka water bottles are a snap.

We'll go back when they open Word of Star Wars.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep.

I went to Disneyland at 5 years old and have been a huge Disney fanboy ever since. Haven't been back to Orlando since around 2003, so I'm excited.

Sadly Star Wars Land won't be open, but I'm looking forward to Pandora. Have heard nothing but great things about it so far.
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I remember reading this a while back but Hulu has a split ownership and once ABC/Disney buys Fox they'd have a majority. It's already established and has a lot on content cross multiple networks so it has some serious value even with Disney starting its own.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yep.

I went to Disneyland at 5 years old and have been a huge Disney fanboy ever since. Haven't been back to Orlando since around 2003, so I'm excited.

Sadly Star Wars Land won't be open, but I'm looking forward to Pandora. Have heard nothing but great things about it so far.
Has the target date of Star Wars Land at DW changed from next year? We will likely be going to DW Thanksgiving 2019, but only if SWL is open (last trip to DW in 2013, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride was not yet open, a real bummer to stand there next to the fenced off area rather than riding that thing, so I'm wanting to avoid that with SWL).
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I think the lighter/genre 20th Century Fox fare will go up on the Disney platform. Like Ice Age, Avatar, probably even X-Men, etc. But the report I read said that the R-rated 20th Century Fox titles are likely going up on Hulu. And that makes sense. There's no way Disney is putting Die Hard and Alien on the same platform as Lady and the Tramp. They want the new platform to feel distinctly Disney and retain what you'd expect from that brand.
Not the case now, but they do in fact have a history with Alien - first at Hollywood Studios with an Alien section of the Great Movie Ride (that ride is, sadly, gone now), but also in Magic Kingdom, there was an attraction that was so clearly influenced by Alien that they might as well have called it Alien (it was called Extra-Terrorrestrial and was quite intense, so I can see why they changed it to feature Stitch).

I did both of these on separate trips, but next time I won't bother with the Stitch-themed attraction. That previous incarnation of that attraction was freakish with all the screaming, the spattering of "blood", and the alien critter stepping on your shoulder brace in the dark with flashing lights and such.
double aught
AG
CJS4715 said:

Prepare for the absolute brutality of Florida humidity - September can absolutely suck balls. But, ya know what, it's a lot better than August heat + crowds.
Well I had to tote my almost four year old around Universal for four days last month, and I was drenched pretty much the entire time. So I'm hoping this will be a little better.

But I know I won't be able to carry her forever, so I wouldn't have traded it for the world.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They still have it targeted for Fall 2019.

I imagine Thanksgiving weekend is a big one for WDW, so I can't imagine them not trying to hit that date at the latest.
First Page Last Page
Page 756 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.