Star Wars Discussion Thread

3,065,515 Views | 29595 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by redline248
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

The challenge for any studio head is that Fiege at Marvel sets an impossibly high bar. Nobody has ever come close to reeling out consistent hits the way Marvel has. Every other property's fans want what Marvel has, and nobody is going to get it. And it helps Fiege a lot that he has decades of comic book stories to draw from and he can use what worked and failed on paperback to educate what might work or fail on the big screen.

Blue parachute for you.
Render
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fair enough. Thank you for your time.

Edited to add: Just curious, what do you think Filoni prioritizes in his work?
Render
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lucas being involved doesn't help your case.
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Render said:

Lucas being involved doesn't help your case.

Considering that Lucas was rumored to have fronted a pretty sizeable amount of his own money for TCW, was an EP for the series, I think him being heavily involved creatively in the show is something he earned to do. Hell he was also an EP for Tartakovsky's series, gave Tartakovsky an outline of the series for the major events.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Star Wars was better before Lucas got involved.
Render
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Render said:

Lucas being involved doesn't help your case.

Considering that Lucas was rumored to have fronted a pretty sizeable amount of his own money for TCW, was an EP for the series, I think him being heavily involved creatively in the show is something he earned to do. Hell he was also an EP for Tartakovsky's series, gave Tartakovsky an outline of the series for the major events.
Genndy was given free reign over Season 1. Lucas' son really liked Season 1, so Season 2 is when Lucas became more involved. Even so - Lucas may have given Genndy the overarching plot points, but it was up to Genndy and his team to interpret the characters, structure the story's pacing, choreograph action scenes, and design the visuals. Y'know, to actually make the thing.

I'm not denying Lucas' right to do stuff with his money in the series he created. I'm saying Lucas has terrible ideas. The CGI CW was very likely worse off for having him involved. And GL owns SW, so of course he'll get some generic "producing" credit in Genndy's series. But as I said before, the actual in-the-trenches creative work wasn't done by him. It's just like what happened with Empire.

---

You still haven't answered my question. I've succinctly articulated my views and used visual aids to demonstrate what I feel Genndy brings with his work, but the rebuttals I've gotten are the equivalent of "Nah brah, you're wrong. Genndy sucks."

I'm just saying, what does Finoli do that is so profound that even a multiple Emmy award winning director like Genndy can't rival? Is it the original art direction? Original sound design? Fun pacing and blocking? Interesting character development? Genndy does all that. So what is your take on Finoli's work? I'm genuinely very curious.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ahsoka as a character is the best argument in favor of Filoni. His work with Anakin in the Clone Wars is pretty solid, too...however much input/credit is attributed to him. The story arcs in rebels are very good, as well.

Bringing back Maul is a mark against him, though. Hated him completely in Clone Wars. Making him interesting to the Rebels plotlines wasn't enough to overcome that.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Star Wars was better before Lucas got involved.


Jedi mind tricks.

At least we fought about it less before him!
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Filoni:
Greatly improved Anakin.
Expanded Kenobi successfully.
Fixed the Clones.
Developed the best character not in the OT.
Took Lucas' crazy idea of resurrecting Maul & made it work.

There are so many other great checks by his name. Sabine's training episode in Rebels is one of my favorite SW moments.
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will definitely give him credit for all of that. When I started watching Clone Wars I couldn't help but think that the Anakin in the show was much more of a hero than anything we got to see in the movies. That guy turning to the dark side was actually tragic.

Thrawn > Ahsoka though. I think Rebels could have done a lot more interesting things with Thrawn, but at least Filoni helped bring him back and got Zahn back in the loop writing SW books again.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thrawn is great but didn't feel like I could give all the credit to Filoni there, so maybe should say best character developed since the prequel era.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/06/26/mark-hamill-on-the-weirdly-tragic-trajectory-of-luke-skywalker
Grimey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CJS4715 said:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/06/26/mark-hamill-on-the-weirdly-tragic-trajectory-of-luke-skywalker

jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

You still haven't answered my question. I've succinctly articulated my views and used visual aids to demonstrate what I feel Genndy brings with his work, but the rebuttals I've gotten are the equivalent of "Nah brah, you're wrong. Genndy sucks."

So I'm supposed to respond to an edit after you said fair enough? I think we both know we are going to change our minds, and recognizing that we aren't going to actually change each other's minds and just agreeing to disagree isn't an acceptable response? All because you're not satisfied?

No. I disagree with your position and recognize thy we aren't actually going to do anything other than clutter up the thread and just want to leave it be.
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ugh... see ya'll i'm out of SW "discussions" for a while. maybe 2019 will be better.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CJS4715 said:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/06/26/mark-hamill-on-the-weirdly-tragic-trajectory-of-luke-skywalker


Reading that makes me start to hate this new trilogy.
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
""Remember, George had an overall arc [in the original trilogy]," he explains. "If he didn't have all the details, he had sort of an overall feel for where the three were going. But this one's more like a relay race. You run and hand the torch off to the next guy, he picks it up and goes. "

except the relay race isn't on a track, and no one knows where you're supposed to go or where the finish line is.
twilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Flashdiaz said:

""Remember, George had an overall arc [in the original trilogy]," he explains. "If he didn't have all the details, he had sort of an overall feel for where the three were going. But this one's more like a relay race. You run and hand the torch off to the next guy, he picks it up and goes. "

except the relay race isn't on a track, and no one knows where you're supposed to go or where the finish line is.
For me at least, it seems more like the baton was dropped during the handoff.
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can you imagine if JJ hadn't gotten his wish and Episode VII would have been released in May 2015 instead of December?

JJ probably wouldn't have directed the movie in that case, but either way, imagine this trilogy with a few months LESS of planning
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
twilly said:

Flashdiaz said:

""Remember, George had an overall arc [in the original trilogy]," he explains. "If he didn't have all the details, he had sort of an overall feel for where the three were going. But this one's more like a relay race. You run and hand the torch off to the next guy, he picks it up and goes. "

except the relay race isn't on a track, and no one knows where you're supposed to go or where the finish line is.
For me at least, it seems more like the baton was dropped during the handoff.
Mark Hamill impersonating Rian Johnson with the baton

bearamedic99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I haven't watched the cartoons. Are they canon? Would both my soon to be 5 yr old & I enjoy them? Which comes first (I assume TCW)?
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearamedic99 said:

I haven't watched the cartoons. Are they canon? Would both my soon to be 5 yr old & I enjoy them? Which comes first (I assume TCW)?
The Clone Wars movie
The Clone Wars series
Rebels

Those are all canon, and I think you and your kid would enjoy most of them. Some episodes in the cartoons are less good than others.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearamedic99 said:

I haven't watched the cartoons. Are they canon? Would both my soon to be 5 yr old & I enjoy them? Which comes first (I assume TCW)?


TCW is first, but I'd say Rebels is more palatable for a 5 year old. He will probably enjoy TCW still, but the story is complex at times. Also, there are some darker themes. If he has seen the films though, he will be fine.

Also, the Clone Wars movie sucks, so just stick it out. It gets better.
DartAg1970
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess this is what I don't get...

If I am Mark Hamill, (after TFA) and I don't like what is being done with my character, you have to know that you have a voice and have more power than you think. What are they going to do recast you? No, you sit down and say I will not portray this character this way and we need to figure how to make this work, or I walk.

If Hamill really did disagree with so much of TLJ then why would Hamill continue to just go along with it? I doubt hes hurting for the money.

Maybe someone can enlighten me. I confess I don't know much about how this industry works.
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DartAg1970 said:

I guess this is what I don't get...

If I am Mark Hamill, (after TFA) and I don't like what is being done with my character, you have to know that you have a voice and have more power than you think. What are they going to do recast you? No, you sit down and say I will not portray this character this way and we need to figure how to make this work, or I walk.

If Hamill really did disagree with so much of TLJ then why would Hamill continue to just go along with it? I doubt hes hurting for the money.

Maybe someone can enlighten me. I confess I don't know much about how this industry works.
he probably did, would explain why they killed him so abruptly...Luke's death reminds me of Poochie's:

Mac94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My guess is that Mark was already under contract with LucasFilm and there would be serious penalties for breach. Mark has been vocal in a tactful way in public about his view points on the character and I'd bet behind closed doors he was more so.
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ugh, reading that article just reinforces how horribly wrong Rian Johnson was as the choice for director. Maybe he's capable of making good "smaller" films like Brick and Looper, but he's proven that he's absolutely the wrong choice for a big Blockbuster and especially for Star Wars, the most beloved Trilogy in movie history.
Render
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248, CJS4715, Ag Since 83, thanks for the feedback. I need to watch CW/Rebels at some point and I wanted to see what people who liked the shows thought were positives of them.
Render
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Relax. I wasn't looking for a fight.

I was simply casually asking for an elaboration of your opinion, since you had never really given it. I wasn't going to argue the point further, hence my addition of "Just curious". My edit doesn't contradict my agreeing to disagree. Usually people are quick to share details about their opinion - and this is a discussion board, what better venue? - but all you seemed to be doing (in my opinion) was automatically gainsaying my points while offering no constructive points of your own. I just found it really interesting you fervently disagreed that Genndy's CW is better. It's usually the opposite. In fact you seemed pretty dismissive of him, but offered no real reason why. So why wouldn't I be curious?

Oh well.
Render
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

ugh... see ya'll i'm out of SW "discussions" for a while. maybe 2019 will be better.

It'll be worse in 2019 when IX comes out.
bearamedic99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://society-reviews.com/2018/06/27/report-disney-wants-to-fire-kathleen-kennedy-for-ruining-star-wars-films/

Is this a credible source?
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trying to take a break from posting on TexAgs, but it's been driving me nuts seeing all this talk about Grace Randolph and people in this thread actually believing her. I've been following online movie news on a daily basis literally since its inception in the late '90s. I've worked with a number of prominent writers and journalist in this community. I know this world inside and out. Please believe me when I say that Grace Randolph is a poser and a nobody. That video posted earlier in the thread absolutely made me cringe. She's like a Hollywood gossip columnist from the '40s, out of L.A. Confidential or Hail, Caesar! or something, except even less relevant or credible, and it legitimately bugs me that people are falling for her schtick.

But if you won't take my word for it, at least listen to these two titans of the industry...


bearamedic99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
welcome back
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Grace has 3/4 of a million subscribers, it is amazing to me. I watch her a lot and disagree with her on just about everything. When she is sourcing info, I imagine she is on theforce.net or reddit getting info and then twisting it into her argument. Like I said earlier, she has been after Kennedy for over a year. Kennedy may end up taking the fall, and many things could have been better, but this is the mess you get when the film timeline is based on Wall Street.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So glad TC came in here to lay it out. That chick is a nobody. She's nothing. Just like Rey.
Page 737 of 846
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.