Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,886,581 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Those two things mentioned above are why I just don't have faith in Johnson to deliver a good movie (of the blockbuster type) nor can I root for him in the future.

He failed in every way possible with TLJ (IMO of course) and then he's been a complete ***** about it ever since, not just antagonizing the ultra fan boys but talking down to every single fan who didn't like his vision of the movie....as if we're unintelligent, racist misogynists.
bangobango
AG
TCTTS said:

This is what I don't understand. How has he handled criticisms negatively? I truly haven't seen that. He's met the absolute insane vitriol he's faced with day in and day out with overwhelming grace and humor. Does he clap back at some of the crazies? Absolutely. But who wouldn't? I just feel like there's a lot of projecting going on here, and a blatant dismissal of how amazing he's been with sane fans in general. He's constantly engaging, has handed out pizzas to fans sleeping in lines, etc. That, and he's literally considered one of the nicest guys in Hollywood. It's just so weird for me to see all these "What an arrogant assh*le!" takes because he's the exact opposite of that in real life.

I linked this earlier in this or another thread. Actually take the time to watch it please. It is only three minutes.

Hammil is obviously joking, but he got all the headlines while Rian's comments went unnoticed.

He flat out states he does not think ANY criticism of TLJ is valid and then compares his movie and the criticism it has received to what people would've said about Empire if internet were around back then.

http://money.cnn.com/video/media/2018/03/27/star-wars-mark-hamill-rian-johnson-fan-reaction-obsession-orig.cnnmoney/index.html
bearamedic99
AG
TCTTS said:

I also can't even imagine what it's like to have millions of people dissecting and ripping apart your every decision, all day every day. Yes, it's what these creatives signed up for in a way, but the only means of staying sane in that kind of existence might be to tweet at these idiots every so often like Johnson did today.

Don't most jobs have people critiquing you? I know I do and I have to act like someone is always recording my on duty words and actions.

yes, these guys are in it a hundredfold plus but they signed up for the big leagues and need to sack up.
bearamedic99
AG
PS- Since I'm posting, I'll identify myself as a casual fan who has been lurking throughout this thread. I enjoyed the OT but like Star Trek more due to the unfairness of how rough your life would be in this universe without the Force. I read a lot of the dark horse comics and most of the early novels like Tales from X, the Rogue Squadron series, Jedi Academy, the Heir to the Empire, and so on.

I grew more miffed at the franchise when they said that the EU and all of its rich stories were disavowed.

This thread seems to keep circling back to either a disagreement with one of TCTTS's posts or a "I agree mostly with you but..." after someone gives a fresh take on a subject. I realize we have little new material to discuss but I'm amazed at the volume and passion produced in here. Flame away and I realize that no one is forcing me to read this but dang, we seem to run in circles here.
bangobango
AG
This is kind of interesting. Re: TLJ remake.

This guy claims he got the go ahead from Disney to make a Vader movie.
Saul Goodman
AG
"Show me where Rian Johnson touched you"
I'm amazed how personally offended some of you are by a movie you didn't like and the director of said movie defending his work.

As a pro-TLJ fan, I stopped actively defending the movie after a couple of weeks, and now just occasionally pop my head up. However, it's clear Rian Johnson is still renting out space in a lot of fans' heads - six months after release.

Yes this sounds dismissive, but I think some people need to gain some perspective.

Malachi Constant
AG
Is it live action?
SeattleAgJr
Saul Goodman said:

"Show me where Rian Johnson touched you"
I'm amazed how personally offended some of you are by a movie you didn't like and the director of said movie defending his work.

As a pro-TLJ fan, I stopped actively defending the movie after a couple of weeks, and now just occasionally pop my head up. However, it's clear Rian Johnson is still renting out space in a lot of fans' heads - six months after release.

Yes this sounds dismissive, but I think some people need to gain some perspective.

as you felt a need to pop back in here, 6 months later, to just stir the pot and not add anything new, then I will respond with "your taste is bad movies is noted" and thank you for your participation
Render
AG
I agree RJ is suspect with his comments, but Looper was a great film, so Rian can make good movies. Just being fair. My hatred of TLJ has settled - I'm ready to move on to the next thing. If RJ has a clean slate, I'm going to give his first movie a chance.

(They're also not making a cinematic version of Heir to Empire, so maybe that's why I don't care too much what they do anymore...)
Render
AG
bangobango said:

This is kind of interesting. Re: TLJ remake.

This guy claims he got the go ahead from Disney to make a Vader movie.

I'm a non-industry plebe, but I do know that making your own movies/web series' are incredibly difficult to do. Especially with the FX they need for a freakin' SW project. Whatever budget they're projecting, double it.

Since fan projects got brought up, this one deserves mention. I'm sure it's been posted before, but it's buried for newcomers.

TCTTS
AG
bangobango said:

TCTTS said:

This is what I don't understand. How has he handled criticisms negatively? I truly haven't seen that. He's met the absolute insane vitriol he's faced with day in and day out with overwhelming grace and humor. Does he clap back at some of the crazies? Absolutely. But who wouldn't? I just feel like there's a lot of projecting going on here, and a blatant dismissal of how amazing he's been with sane fans in general. He's constantly engaging, has handed out pizzas to fans sleeping in lines, etc. That, and he's literally considered one of the nicest guys in Hollywood. It's just so weird for me to see all these "What an arrogant assh*le!" takes because he's the exact opposite of that in real life.

I linked this earlier in this or another thread. Actually take the time to watch it please. It is only three minutes.

Hammil is obviously joking, but he got all the headlines while Rian's comments went unnoticed.

He flat out states he does not think ANY criticism of TLJ is valid and then compares his movie and the criticism it has received to what people would've said about Empire if internet were around back then.

http://money.cnn.com/video/media/2018/03/27/star-wars-mark-hamill-rian-johnson-fan-reaction-obsession-orig.cnnmoney/index.html

And THAT'S him being an assh*le? I kept waiting for something so much more damning. Johnson literally says, "No, no --" and is then interrupted by Hamill before he can complete his thought. How, exactly, did you want him to answer that question? This is a promotional interview timed for the release of the digital/Blu-ray release. The entire reason he and Hamill are sitting down for this interview is to literally SELL the movie. So why on earth would he say, "Yeah, this thing we're trying to sell to you actually does have flaws and I definitely would have done it differently in hindsight." Still, beyond that, most artists who are worth a damn STAND BY their work. It's HIS work. It's the movie HE wanted to make. So why is the onus on him to say, "You were right, I was wrong." He believes he made something true to what he interprets as Star Wars. I didn't like it, nor did a lot of other people, but this need for him to admit that he f*cked up in certain instances is so damn weird to me.
TCTTS
AG
bearamedic99 said:

TCTTS said:

I also can't even imagine what it's like to have millions of people dissecting and ripping apart your every decision, all day every day. Yes, it's what these creatives signed up for in a way, but the only means of staying sane in that kind of existence might be to tweet at these idiots every so often like Johnson did today.

Don't most jobs have people critiquing you? I know I do and I have to act like someone is always recording my on duty words and actions.

yes, these guys are in it a hundredfold plus but they signed up for the big leagues and need to sack up.

Of course most jobs come with critiques. But imagine being inundated all day every day with hate and vitriol from millions of people for creating a damn Star Wars movie. All things considered, he IS sacking up. He's not complaining AT ALL. Literally all he has done is make a funny/mocking comment here and there to some of the more crazy fringe extremists. Again, if that's what keeps someone sane in that position, more power to them. Besides, I'd love to see some of you guys in his shoes. I'm sure you'd all be perfectly silent monks.
PatAg
AG
Render said:

I agree RJ is suspect with his comments, but Looper was a great film, so Rian can make good movies. Just being fair. My hatred of TLJ has settled - I'm ready to move on to the next thing. If RJ has a clean slate, I'm going to give his first movie a chance.

(They're also not making a cinematic version of Heir to Empire, so maybe that's why I don't care too much what they do anymore...)

ding ding
Ag Since 83
AG
SIAP, but any thoughts on SWNN's take on Disney refusing to let Lucasfilm delay Solo until December, while also seemingly refusing to promote the film against Infinity War?

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2018/06/disney-scrapping-star-wars-standalone-movies-rethinking-development-and-why-thats-actually-great-for-the-franchise.html

Disney were also supposedly behind the move to May in the first place. On Collider Jedi Council, Napzok has long been beating the drum that a lot of the issues people place on Kennedy are actually more due to Disney and Bob Iger meddling. Disney gives Marvel much more free reign, don't they?
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

SIAP, but any thoughts on SWNN's take on Disney refusing to let Lucasfilm delay Solo until December, while also seemingly refusing to promote the film against Infinity War?

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2018/06/disney-scrapping-star-wars-standalone-movies-rethinking-development-and-why-thats-actually-great-for-the-franchise.html

Disney were also supposedly behind the move to May in the first place. On Collider Jedi Council, Napzok has long been beating the drum that a lot of the issues people place on Kennedy are actually more due to Disney and Bob Iger meddling. Disney gives Marvel much more free reign, don't they?

I could be convinced Bob Iger is being more meddlesome.

Iger's been eyeballing the Whitehouse (Democrat) and at least some of the conservative AM talkshows believe this why Disney is jamming political square pegs into round plot holes.

Maybe some truth there; maybe not.

I guess we'll know for sure in episode IX if Han, Leia, and Luke are referred to as a "basket of deplorables" (ha!).

Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SeattleAgJr
I did not "boycott" Solo. I just chose not to see it in the theater. I will see it eventually either on Blu-ray or on digital.

And it is not like Disney did not get some money out of me, because I bought the art of Star Wars book as well as the solo guide since I'd like to read and look at that crap.

But yes my choice was based on the "quality" of The Last Jedi as well as Disney's reaction after wards.
Render
AG
TCTTS said:

bangobango said:

TCTTS said:

And THAT'S him being an assh*le? I kept waiting for something so much more damning. Johnson literally says, "No, no --" and is then interrupted by Hamill before he can complete his thought. How, exactly, did you want him to answer that question? This is a promotional interview timed for the release of the digital/Blu-ray release. The entire reason he and Hamill are sitting down for this interview is to literally SELL the movie. So why on earth would he say, "Yeah, this thing we're trying to sell to you actually does have flaws and I definitely would have done it differently in hindsight." Still, beyond that, most artists who are worth a damn STAND BY their work. It's HIS work. It's the movie HE wanted to make. So why is the onus on him to say, "You were right, I was wrong." He believes he made something true to what he interprets as Star Wars. I didn't like it, nor did a lot of other people, but this need for him to admit that he f*cked up in certain instances is so damn weird to me.
People are bewildered to the extreme because the screw ups were SO blatant.

"we're going to win this war, not by fighting what we hate, but by saving what we love"

The promotional thing, yeah, he isn't going to say anything. But in other venues he could've at least given us something. Like a "I may have gone too far in some places." If even the elderly crazed George Lucas knows he went too far, you should too.

Ulrich
I'm not mad at Rian Johnson. Some people, including myself at one point, are remembering (pretty d*****y) things that entertainment bloggers said as coming from RJ. He's done fine in terms of not being a jerk.

That said, I've only seen one of his movies and thought it was a mess, so I probably won't pay to see any more of his movies. I won't try to talk anyone else out of it and it's not a "boycott" because I'm not protesting anything. I'm making a decision about what I want to spend my time on.
bangobango
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

I did not "boycott" Solo. I just chose not to see it in the theater. I will see it eventually either on Blu-ray or on digital.

And it is not like Disney did not get some money out of me, because I bought the art of Star Wars book as well as the solo guide since I'd like to read and look at that crap.

But yes my choice was based on the "quality" of The Last Jedi as well as Disney's reaction after wards.

Apparently you didn't get the memo that you are morally obligated to turn over your hard earned cash and purchase a ticket to anything with Star Wars name on it. If you don't, then get ready to be accused of organizing and participating in a boycott, be called a manbaby, a racists, misogynist, and/or ridiculed repeatedly by people who can't seem to understand why intentionally doing things that you know your loyal customers will hate and then blaming those customers for hating those decisions might cause those loyal customers to stop giving you their hard earned money.
bangobango
AG
TCTTS said:

bangobango said:

TCTTS said:

Yeah dude, that is him being an ******* in my opinion. No criticism is valid? Then mocks the criticism by acting like the Empire Strikes back would've received the same treatment if internet was around back then?

His pile of dung movie is no Empire and he shouldn't ever compare the two again. It's obvious he thinks it is, that everyone hates it because it's too dark or soemthing similar. He is too stupid or arrogant to realize many of the complaints are because his movie fails to do the things that everyone loves about Empire - namely, show the protagonist failing, put the characters we care about in peril, leave interesting conflicts and mysteries to be resolved in the third installment, etc.

I think most people who aren't in love with smelling their own farts would've said something like "of course I think some of the ciriticism is valid and if I could do it over again there are definitely some things I would change or tweak, but I still think it's a great movie and I am really proud of what we put together."
SeattleAgJr
bangobango said:

Quote:

Apparently you didn't get the memo that you are morally obligated to turn over your hard earned cash and purchase a ticket to anything with Star Wars name on it. If you don't, then get ready to be accused of organizing and participating in a boycott, be called a manbaby, a racists, misogynist, and/or ridiculed repeatedly by people who can't seem to understand why intentionally doing things that you know your loyal customers will hate and then blaming those customers for hating those decisions might cause those loyal customers to stop giving you their hard earned money.

As with Solo, I will not be seeing Ep IX in the theater either. I can wait until it is streaming or on blu ray.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why is everything a debate or argument? It's just a funny picture, dude. Move along.
bearamedic99
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Why is everything a debate or argument? It's just a funny picture, dude. Move along.

this
The Collective
AG
Ag Since 83
AG
Finished Most Wanted yesterday and really enjoyed it. If you enjoyed Solo and the character of Qi'ra you might find something you'd like in it.

Also, we are less than a month from the next Thrawn novel.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Plot points for a Vader spinoff

1) He and Boba Fett become friends. Fett keeps pranking Vader by disentegrating things Vader likes - his stuffed Ronto, his original 45 of Fgrin Dan and the Modal Nodes, etc.
2) He goes to an Imperial corporate retreat and freaks out all day after Palpatine picks Thrawn to be his partner in the wheelbarrow race.
3) He tries dating again after Padme dies, but keeps using his Anakin Skywalker Jedi ID card picture on dating sites. He ends up force choking any woman who pretends she's going somewhere else when they show up for the date and walk right by him.
4) With the Jedi all but extinct, he gets back to his dissertation: "Sand: It's Worthless".
5) Starts showing up at the Boonta Eve podrace every year trying to get an invite to defend his championship.
6) Avoids Jar Jar's texts and voice mails at all costs.
7) Starts a side hustle fixing odds and ends for other Imperials.
8) Leads search parties to the lower levels of Coruscant in search of Mace Windu's purple lightsaber, which he still secretly thinks of as "wizard".
9) Uses his insider information to play the stock market for durasteel and kyber crystals.
10) Tries to find the creepiest looking weirdo he can to be his butler on Mustafar.

In unrelated news, I've started playing KOTOR with one of my daughters. Her character's name is Elsa (shocker). We play about 1 hour per week, but Sunday I let her play alone for about 15 minutes while grilling burgers and came back to find she had defeated Gerlon Two Fingers in the Taris Arena.
Render
AG
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/9/17444670/ea-e3-2018-star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-ea-respawn

A new SW game has been in the works for the 2019 holiday season. It's set during and immediately after Order 66. It's billed as a "dark and gritty" single player game, but no idea if you can customize your own character or are bound to a pre-set protagonist.

Sounds promising, but this is EA, so they'll find some way to screw it up.
Duncan Idaho
God I would kill for a great single player game
Render
AG
Agreed, I'd love Bloodborne style customization and combat in SW. Hopefully they let the player make choices so there's different endings: Light side: Join Rebellion. Dark side: Become an Inquisitor. Neutral: Become a hermit like Obi-Wan.

I'm probably setting myself up to be disappointed though...
israeliag
AG
Could this be a Kanan story? That would be a pretty dope way to make an exciting game that ties in with the canon, but doesn't screw it up either.

Learn how he survived as a padawan, how he met Hera, Zeb, Sabine, and Chopper, get to pilot the Ghost and the Phantom.

While I'm sure his early years after order 66 are pretty dark and gritty, would they go that direction with the Rebels sub-brand?
Render
AG
I hope not. I have no idea who any of those people are.
bangobango
AG
Dekker_Lentz
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Plot points for a Vader spinoff

(deleted the joke)

In unrelated news, I've started playing KOTOR with one of my daughters. Her character's name is Elsa (shocker). We play about 1 hour per week, but Sunday I let her play alone for about 15 minutes while grilling burgers and came back to find she had defeated Gerlon Two Fingers in the Taris Arena.

First, that is some grade-A parenting on the KOTOR front.

Second, it won't happen because of the canon that exists and it would probably be something that is too edgy for the character.

But I always thought a Vader spin off where he hunted down Ahsoka would have been a great movie. I really like Ahsoka as a character, but always felt that she kinda creates a plot hole that could only be resolved this way. To me the overall story is Vader basically hunting through the early rebellion, and the rebels realize he is seeking out Ahsoka, who decides to go and fact him alone to save the fledgling rebellion. Then the last scenes is Vader trying to turn her to the Dark Side so she could be his apprentice again.

In keeping with the tone of Rogue One, I would have a cameo of the Rebels paying Boba Fett to disintegrate a rebel who Vader captured or was about to capture to keep him from talking, and this is what Empire was referring.

Probably too fanboy-ish.

Ultimately, I kinda like the way Rebels handled Ahsoka for the younger crowd.
The Collective
AG
Grace seems like she has been after Kennedy for the past 18 months.
First Page Last Page
Page 735 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.