Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,820 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Essentially, they are. They're basically carrying the torch of the saga films, in terms of their function in the franchise. They're just starting a new saga. Instead of Epsiode X, though, they're starting a whole new series with all new characters.

Agreed, in the end, I think we will call episodes I - IX the Skywalker Saga. You could start another saga with its own numbering system, and I bet that's the direction they go. I doubt any future saga goes 9 episodes though.
AliasMan02
AG
I bet they drop the episode numbers for now, at least.
The Collective
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I bet they drop the episode numbers for now, at least.

That makes even more sense actually.
israeliag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Skip ahead to 0:50.
Duel of the Fates is a gadtam masterpiece.

A few thoughts from watching this fight again:
1. Rey screams at one of the guards - seemingly out of some fear/anger/hate
2. At one point towards the end Kylo is taking on 3 guards, while Rey is struggling with 1 - I think this is Rian's adjustment of JJ's overpowering of Rey (maybe?)
3. Kylo's headshot with a saber stands to be my single favorite kill in the entire Star Wars franchise. It's one of the coolest uses of a lightsaber, an incredible kill, and a pretty cool feather on the cap of a dope team up of nemeses.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not gonna lie, it bugs me that they won't use the Episode #'s anywere, even on the Blu-rays. Eps I-VI all use it, so the lack of continuity is just annoying.
TCTTS
AG
I do agree that it's weird they dropped the episode numbers from 7, 8, and 9. They should have kept them to at least finish out the Skywalker saga and then they could have dropped them going forward.
double aught
AG
I like the choice. It's going back to the style of the OT.
OnlyForNow
AG
So what's with the armor that has the ability to resist light sabers and laser weapons?

How long has that been around?
redline248
AG
Let's imagine for a moment that episode 9 ends with Rey being the only Jedi and Ben and any of his dark side followers are defeated. What will the new series look like? No more Jedi? Or years after 9 one of Rey's disciples goes off into some edge of the galaxy and has adventures? Finds a new dark side existence that threatens the galaxy?

Because, honestly, the way Star Wars is set up, someone somewhere always figures out the force exists, and someone always tries to use it for personal gain. Future stories are likely to seem like further retreads...can it be considered a true Star Wars saga-type film if it doesn't involve the fate of the galaxy?

And if they opt for no more Jedi, will anyone even care? Solo is going to be a good test for that option.
AliasMan02
AG
OnlyForNow said:

So what's with the armor that has the ability to resist light sabers and laser weapons?

How long has that been around?

The armor is encased in magnetic fields that make it resistant to the plasma of a lightsaber, with the trade-off that those wearing it are always in constant, excruciating pain caused by the fields.

This sort of "cheat" is made necessary by Lucas's power creep of lightsabers and Jedi in general. His solution was usually to portray the lightsaber as the world's slipperiest object so it was constantly being dropped.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

Let's imagine for a moment that episode 9 ends with Rey being the only Jedi and Ben and any of his dark side followers are defeated. What will the new series look like? No more Jedi? Or years after 9 one of Rey's disciples goes off into some edge of the galaxy and has adventures? Finds a new dark side existence that threatens the galaxy?

Because, honestly, the way Star Wars is set up, someone somewhere always figures out the force exists, and someone always tries to use it for personal gain. Future stories are likely to seem like further retreads...can it be considered a true Star Wars saga-type film if it doesn't involve the fate of the galaxy?

And if they opt for no more Jedi, will anyone even care? Solo is going to be a good test for that option.

Some movies will undoubtedly still have Jedi and Sith because they will take place during the Old Republic or Republic eras.

A really good candidate for one of these extended story arcs is some version of Outbound Flight, where Jedi and others set out to explore the Unknown Regions. I doubt that happens as it did in the old EU (between TPM and AotC) but is a solid basis for expanding the universe a bit. Sort of a Mass Effect Andromeda for Star Wars.
TCTTS
AG
redline248 said:

Who said the new trilogy won't involve the fate of the galaxy?

That said, I would actually welcome a slightly smaller, more personal story the next go around. Not "small," just smaller. Something that could still have space battles and the like, but maybe someone fighting for their home planet perhaps, and then maybe the story balloons from there after the first movie.

I just wouldn't be so quick to peg what Star Wars "is." All it is is what we know it to be up to this point. And maybe we end up loving the new direction even more or find it more appropriate to the brand. The possibilities are nearly endless with what they can do and where they can take the story, and maybe the franchise ultimately needs to evolve to survive rather than continue being what we've always known it to be.
redline248
AG
Quote:

Who said the new trilogy won't involve the fate of the galaxy?
No one, I was just asking the question. It's certainly possible.
AliasMan02
AG
Rebels is a great example of an epic story that isn't about the fate of the Galaxy, but really the liberation of a single planet.
Urban Ag
AG
redline248 said:

It will certainly be interesting to see where they take the new trilogy. Good question, is Star Wars really Star Wars if it is simply set in the same Galaxy (I guess "Universe" in movie terms)? Obviously episodes 1-9 are completely interconnected. R1 was and Solo connected. And the most likely next anthology up next, Kenobi, connected.

They've stated that the new trilogy will take place with completely different characters in a new part of the galaxy we have not seen yet. At this point I am pretty suspect that Disney/Lucasfilm can pull it off based off of TFA and TLJ. It's an incredible risk. That being the case, I would not be surprised at all if takes years to get it in to production and even then wouldn't be surprised if the idea of a completely new, unrelated, trilogy is scrapped and replaced with a safer bet like something set in the Old Republic.

I just hope whatever they do that they slow down and take the time to do it right. Disney can keep it's shareholders happy by putting out a decent anthology every 1-2 years, new tv offerings, and keep growing the brand through the theme parks and resort hotels, while not over saturating with another mediocre trilogy. However I doubt that will be the case. When the mouse said there would be a new Star Wars movie every year for the foreseeable future I think they meant it.
AliasMan02
AG
I have a vague theory for how to keep new Star Wars grounded while still expanding that I'm calling the Intersection Principle. Basically, Star Wars needs to go new places but to do so too recklessly could alienate the audience.

All New Star Wars films should have roughly 3/5 of the following intersections:

1. Ships
2. Races
3. Worlds
4. Characters
5. Groups

A new movie would thus feature at least several elements that we've seen before. They don't have to be major elements, just present and significant (not just Easter Eggs).

For ships, maybe the heroes fly around in a salvaged TIE shuttle or they encounter a contact operating from a newer model C90 transport.

To satisfy the race component, maybe the story takes place in a far flung system full of new aliens, but one of the crew is a Twi'lek.

For Groups there may be a Jedi or Separatist or Hutt component.

Etc.

As the universe expands, then "new" elements can be used as intersections. So if in Ep 12 we get to know the handsome race known as the Aliasmanians from the Entboard system, they can be used as a familiar element to help ground Ep 17.

I don't know if they'll impose any sort of rule on creators, but I think in practice this is the sort of thing we can expect.
redline248
AG
Quote:

So if in Ep 12 we get to know the handsome race known as the Aliasmanians from the Entboard system, they can be used as a familiar element to help ground Ep 17.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

So if in Ep 12 we get to know the handsome race known as the Aliasmanians from the Entboard system, they can be used as a familiar element to help ground Ep 17.

It WILL be canon!
AliasMan02
AG
What I think a one-off, not-fate-of-the-galaxy Star Wars movie might look like.

israeliag
AG
Maybe at the end of 9, a Galactic Federation of Planets is assembled, and the next trilogy follows the command crew of one of the flag ships of the GFP's navy as it explores the edges of the galaxy and meets new races?
AliasMan02
AG
israeliag said:

Maybe at the end of 9, a Galactic Federation of Planets is assembled, and the next trilogy follows the command crew of one of the flag ships of the GFP's navy as it explores the edges of the galaxy and meets new races?

It's tough not to retread ground previously covered on Star Trek. They covered a lot of things that have become tropes.
ja86
AG
israeliag said:

and they become the priests to new generations....

We've taken care of everything
The words you read
The songs you sing
The pictures that give pleasure
To your eye
One for all and all for one
Work together
Common sons
Never need to wonder
How or why

We are the Priests
Of the Temples of Syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hallowed halls
We are the Priests
Of the Temples of Syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
AliasMan02 has been bumped to #1 on the geekyness, sorry Canon list.
AliasMan02
AG
Brennus said:

AliasMan02 has been bumped to #1 on the geekyness, sorry Canon list.

tamusc
AG
Solar Federation, not Galactic Federation
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Something that could still have space battles and the like, but maybe someone fighting for their home planet perhaps, and then maybe the story balloons from there after the first movie.
Something like say, Naboo being liberated from the greedy Trade Federation?
TCTTS
AG
Or, you know, being liberated from something far more compelling and sinister than the Trade Federation.
israeliag
AG
Mandalore would be a great setting for a political thriller in the vein of a Captain America Winter Soldier.

Edit: a place and genre suited for D&D
israeliag
AG
CJS4715 said:

Holy ****, ten minutes of goosebumps.
jokershady
AG
Not trying to piss anyone off here....

I'm seriously not.....

But had a thought just now....with JJ Abrams directing IX and knowing what he did with Star Trek....any chance he delves into time travel with episode IX?

Trust me I hope to Christ I'm wrong cause I don't see how in anyway that could be done correctly and add to the story instead of distract.
Chipotlemonger
AG
The Collective
AG
They kind of hinted at time travel in the Rebels finale, so... guess anything is possible?
redline248
AG
CJS4715 said:

They kind of hinted at time travel in the Rebels finale, so... guess anything is possible?
They did more than hint at it. I just hope like hell that temple on Lothal was the only place like that.
DB Coach
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I have a vague theory for how to keep new Star Wars grounded while still expanding that I'm calling the Intersection Principle. Basically, Star Wars needs to go new places but to do so too recklessly could alienate the audience.

All New Star Wars films should have roughly 3/5 of the following intersections:

1. Ships
2. Races
3. Worlds
4. Characters
5. Groups

Don't forget the Force. It binds all things together.

But seriously, there can be a stand-alone here or there without the Force, but who wants to see a Star Wars film series without it? Much like Language and Religion are the two most identifying characteristics of a culture, the Force and Lightsabers (and some kind of stormtrooper armor) identify a Star Wars movie and saga.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seen on Reddit, thought it was cool.

First Page Last Page
Page 701 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.