Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,887,020 Views | 43964 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sounds kind of terrible...

Saul Goodman
AG
I'm so thankful the keys were taken away from George. People griping about the new trilogy need to remember how awful the prequels were.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anyone get their blu-ray yet? Still waiting on mine.
israeliag
AG
I got the streaming one from Vudu: 4K + HDR + all the bonus content
TCTTS
AG
I somehow got my 4K Blu-ray copy in the mail on Friday and did my first re-watch that night. First time seeing it again since the one time I saw it in the theater, and the first Star Wars movie ever that I didn't see at least twice in theaters.

I liked the first and third acts more this go around, but man, that middle act is still all kinds of boring/weird/bad. That said, Snoke's death - and that entire sequence/fight - is one of my all-time favorite Star Wars sequences. It's so, so good, culminating with the Holdo light speed suicide attack, which is just spectacular (which I'm even more convinced should have been Leia instead).

I'll also say that it made me a bit more excited for Episode IX in a way, but only in the sense that it's a pretty clean slate now and Abrams can basically do whatever the hell he wants. It bugged me at first that more threads weren't left dangling, but considering how this movie hasn't aged all that well in the past three months, I'm all for Abrams basically getting to do whatever he wants to end this whole thing.
TCTTS
AG
Speaking of, I think I was finally able to peg the main thing that bugs me about this movie and it's that so many elements in it feel like they belong in what we assume would have happened in Episode IX. It's almost like Lucasfilm laid out all the ingredients on a table for all three sequels movies, Abrams hardly used any for TFA, but then Johnson came along and used like 95% of them for his movie. And now Abrams shows up again and there's a tiny bit of fat left on the table, and some picked through sides and spices, but that's about it.

Luke's death, Snoke's death, the Resistance reduced to just a handful of people, where we left Rey, etc. all kind of feel like third-movie-in-a-trilogy elements (some more than others, obviously). So much of that stuff just felt "too soon" and almost like Johnson was kind of being selfish in a way (even though he's apparently one of the nicest, most down to earth guys in Hollywood).

I don't know. Again, now that Abrams is essentially free and clear to take the story anywhere he wants - in that there's no, lingering, let's-go-save-Han type mission and nothing really dangling on The First Order side of things - maybe there's an opportunity now for Abrams to do something truly unique and amazing to wrap this whole thing up. In other words, I have ZERO plot expectations going into this final installment, for maybe the first time ever in this franchise, and that's kind of exciting in a way.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I honestly think that Johnson's line of thinking was - "Ok, this is what everyone expects to happen in IX, now let's make it all happen in THIS movie instead. Let's see what you got, Trevorrow [Abrams]."

I don't think he was intentionally trying to screw the next guy over, but I think he's genuinely excited and curious to just leave a clean slate, like you said, and see where they go from here.

Luckily, there's still enough threads to pick up from TFA and TLJ going forward to keep me (and hopefully others) intrigued.

- Knights of Ren
- The return of the Jedi Order
- Will Luke continue training Rey
- The Resistance picking up the pieces and gaining support throughout the galaxy (And the legend of Luke Skywalker spreading even further)
- Kylo Ren being the big bad
- Finn and Rose's romance
TCTTS
AG
- Yeah, should they go there, the Knights of Ren is one element that I'm particularly looking forward to that has a ton of potential. They're going to have a hell of time explaining where they've been the past two movies, though.

- Force-ghost Luke training Rey could obviously be super cool.

- The Resistance gaining support could be awesome too. I'm imagining Braveheart, where "the legend spreads" and all the various clans come of out of woodwork and pledge their allegiance to Wallace. If there's that kind of epic, rallying-the-troops-around-Rey vibe, that could be something special. Almost like Game of Thrones with the North coming together as well.

- It's also looking like we might be getting a Rey/Poe love story, which I honestly wouldn't mind. The OT was great with just the right amount of Han/Leia sexual chemistry, and that love story vibe is something that's been sorely lacking from these last two movies.

My only complaint is that I hope it doesn't feel like they had to invent plot to continue the story. Because none of the above are really plot. They're more like sequences or cool ideas, and I'm having trouble envisioning a compelling plot that ties all this together. Will the Resistance simply be on the run again, with Kylo and The First Order hot on their heals? What's even left of The First Order? The Resistance not only blew up their home base in TFA, but wiped out their primary fleet in TLJ. How many more TFO members can be left to cause a legitimate threat to the galaxy? Now that Luke is "dead," what is Kylo's primary goal? Kill Rey so as to squash the Resistance once and for all?
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

Luke's death, Snoke's death, the Resistance reduced to just a handful of people, where we left Rey, etc. all kind of feel like third-movie-in-a-trilogy elements (some more than others, obviously).
I like that all those happened here, because this is a trilogy of the new generation. Maintaining those first two threads (Luke and Snoke) into the third prevents that focus, IMO. Having Luke hanging around essentially makes it about him, and keeping Snoke prevents Kylo from becoming the Supreme Chancellor.

Of all things I'm most looking forward to in Ep 9 is that Kylo is the freaking Emperor. That has to happen in 8 so that it can be resolved in 9. And it's something we haven't seen before - Vader wasn't able to do it. Our ultimate-villain was never a main character (Palpatine in 3 might arguably be a main character, but I wouldn't relegate him to that level).
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I hear you. Those are good points.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Got my blu-ray!
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Kylo as Emperor is extremely fertile ground to explore in Ep IX if they care to.

I can't think of much else going on that I'm excited to see how it develops, though. I dread seeing more of Rose, but I trust Abrams to produce something I'll enjoy more than I liked The Last Jedi.
Thanks and gig'em
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
A true prequel fan would have them on Blu-ray and not DVD.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Will be purchasing both trilogies soon.
AliasMan02
AG
So, something I'm not sure we've discussed is this petition. I am not saying such a petition is anything but dumb, fanboy vanity. But...

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/897014/Star-Wars-8-Meryl-Streep-LEIA-Episode-9-Carrie-Fisher-CGI-Last-Jedi-died

Could they recast Leia? Can it be done?

I think we can all agree that CGI Leia is a non-starter. However I also think we can agree that Leia dying off-screen in the interlude between TLJ and Episode IX is also a great disservice. Recasting seems impossible, but is that the least bad option?
redline248
AG
The more I think about it, this new prequel is essentially The Legacy of the Force book series. Instead of Jacen Solo we have Kylo Ren (aka Ben), and instead of his twin Jaina Solo, we have Rey. Who, according to Snoke (or that novelization or whatever), is a product of the force filling the need for an equal in power.

Jacen basically took over the galaxy for the sake of restoring order. We even had Luke force projecting himself so Jacen thought he was fighting him. Pretty much the only thing we are missing is Kylo having a secret child.

The real question is, do we get to see Kylo bombard the sacred forests of Kashyyyk
redline248
AG
I wonder if this would improve the film

The Collective
AG
TESB cover really stands out compared to the others. Lando and Boba Fett?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't want Leia if it's not Carrie. Can you imagine anyone else as Luke?

You just can't do it to those actors, imo. They ARE those characters. Maybe the only characters in film history whose actors are so inextricably tied to.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

A true prequel Star Wars fan would have them on Blu-ray and not DVD.
fify

which I do, by the way, have all on BR
Liquid Wrench
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You just can't do it to those actors, imo. They ARE those characters. Maybe the only characters in film history whose actors are so inextricably tied to.
Did you not feel the same way about Han or Lando?
TCTTS
AG
Same. Even the prequels.
TCTTS
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Young versions of those characters are a very different thing. However, under no circumstances should any of these characters be recast in their old age, especially Leia. I can't imagine a worse idea for this franchise.
israeliag
AG
Can you imagine hem recasting Han? (This is a joke - see emjoi)

But yeah - just release a comic / novel for episode 8.5 covering her work in rebuilding a new rebel alliance and rasing a fleet, and mention her death as a rallying point for the resistance in the craw.
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, I hear you. Those are good points.

Wait what... This is an internet forum - is that type of response allowed?
TCTTS
AG
I'll even go so far as to say that you swayed me just a bit as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Han - Yes. I'm still pretty nervous about Alden Ehrenreich, and still feel the movie is unnecessary.

Lando - Not so much. He's not nearly iconic as the other three, plus, it's Donald Glover, and he's cool as *****

And as TCTTS said, these are younger versions, so it's a bit easier to accept. Luke and Leia were already pretty young, so I don't want to see anyone else play them younger.
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

I'll even go so far as to say that you swayed me just a bit as well.
AgMarauder04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

ChiliBeans said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Han - Yes. I'm still pretty nervous about Alden Ehrenreich, and still feel the movie is unnecessary.

Lando - Not so much. He's not nearly iconic as the other three, plus, it's Donald Glover, and he's cool as *****

And as TCTTS said, these are younger versions, so it's a bit easier to accept. Luke and Leia were already pretty young, so I don't want to see anyone else play them younger.
Besides, what would a movie about young Luke be about? Going to tosche station to pick up power converters and programming moisture evaporators?
twilly
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

ChiliBeans said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Besides, what would a movie about young Luke be about? Going to tosche station to pick up power converters and programming moisture evaporators?
Maybe a Biggs and Luke "Brokeback Wastelands" film, where the two discover feelings they never knew about, and give new meaning to the term "bullseyeing womp rats". I mean this could explain all of Luke's pent up anger and frustration that finally come to a head in TLJ?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
You guys don't think they will show a 8 year old Luke in the Obi-Wan movie? I do.

I suspect to see him save him from faulty power converters or something.
Ulrich
As long as we explain away every last bit of mystery and wonder from the OT, which seems to be the goal ever since episode I.
Quad Dog
AG
Some of the bigger complaints I see about TLJ is that it discounts and ignores the setup of TFA. So what if TLJ was Episode 7 and TFA never came out? I think TLJ does a much better job setting up something new and different for a trilogy than TFA does.
The Collective
AG
I doubt that I care about the characters without TFA. I think that's something that JJ did very well, specifically with Rey and Kylo.
First Page Last Page
Page 690 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.