Star Wars Discussion Thread

3,197,072 Views | 30777 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by maroon man
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Personally, even if the movie is dog**** (hoping it's not though), all is forgiven if they just announce Obi-Wan already.
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Personally, even if the movie is dog**** (hoping it's not though), all is forgiven if they just announce Obi-Wan already.
I can see it. 2.5 hours of Kenobi playing in the sand, walking in the sand, sweeping sand, building sand castles, killing the occasional Jawa, accidentally stepping in Bantha poop....

edit to add: Using the Force to create a sand-woman for Jedi sexy time....
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I get where you're coming from, but at least wait til we've seen the first footage. This all seems so premature. Trust me, if it looks like crap I'll have no hesitation being right there with you.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Final scene:

*Removes hood*

"Hello there."
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Everything hinges on that first trailer. They need a home-run.
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hm. With all the reshoots, it just dawned on me that they could throw in something that might set up or tie into the Obi-Wan movie, considering how Rogue One referenced hyperspeed tracking and set that up for TLJ, and then TLJ referenced Han's dice. (Expect to see those a lot in Solo.)

Small details, but it does help everything feel connected and planned out together by one cohesive team.

Timeline-wise, Solo and the Obi-Wan movie could plausibly be taking place at the exact same time.
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Hm. With all the reshoots, it just dawned on me that they could throw in something that might set up or tie into the Obi-Wan movie, considering how Rogue One referenced hyperspeed tracking and set that up for TLJ, and then TLJ referenced Han's dice. (Expect to see those a lot in Solo.)

Small details, but it does help everything feel connected and planned out together by one cohesive team.

Timeline-wise, Solo and the Obi-Wan movie could plausibly be taking place at the exact same time.
Hell throw in a live action Ezra/Obi Wan/Darth maul scene lifted straight from Rebels, and you have me sold.



And yes, there is a reason the fight was so brief....
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Everything hinges on that first trailer. They need a home-run.
Does it really?
I Have Spoken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They should let Filoni's team do these movies. He would be perfect for Kenobi, assuming he has any inkling to do live-action production.

And, man, the voice acting for OT Kenobi is so great there.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
double aught said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Everything hinges on that first trailer. They need a home-run.
Does it really?
For this movie? I'd say so. Most people don't even know about this movie, much less that it drops in 4 months.
I Have Spoken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Most people don't even know about this movie, much less that it drops in 4 months.


Pretty remarkable what Disney has done. They've made me care more about an upcoming Marvel movie than a Star Wars movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, to be fair, this is the climax to the MCU that they've been building towards for 10 years, compared to an anthology movie that nobody wanted or asked for.
RebAg13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

double aught said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Everything hinges on that first trailer. They need a home-run.
Does it really?
For this movie? I'd say so. Most people don't even know about this movie, much less that it drops in 4 months.


Agree. It all hinges on people accepting the portrayal of Han Solo. Can't look like someone in a halloween costume.
DartAg1970
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Hm. With all the reshoots, it just dawned on me that they could throw in something that might set up or tie into the Obi-Wan movie, considering how Rogue One referenced hyperspeed tracking and set that up for TLJ, and then TLJ referenced Han's dice. (Expect to see those a lot in Solo.)

Small details, but it does help everything feel connected and planned out together by one cohesive team.

Timeline-wise, Solo and the Obi-Wan movie could plausibly be taking place at the exact same time.
Hell throw in a live action Ezra/Obi Wan/Darth maul scene lifted straight from Rebels, and you have me sold.



And yes, there is a reason the fight was so brief....

And that reason is.....
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd rather watch Luke Skywalker sucking the teets of that alien for 3 hours than 10 minutes of a Marvel movie, and I like the Marvel movies.

But that's just me.
I Have Spoken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well, to be fair, this is the climax to the MCU that they've been building towards for 10 years, compared to an anthology movie that nobody wanted or asked for.


Yea, but I probably have seen half of the MCU and don't really feel that invested in any of the characters. It's just not my jam, but they are fun to watch.
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DartAg1970 said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Hm. With all the reshoots, it just dawned on me that they could throw in something that might set up or tie into the Obi-Wan movie, considering how Rogue One referenced hyperspeed tracking and set that up for TLJ, and then TLJ referenced Han's dice. (Expect to see those a lot in Solo.)

Small details, but it does help everything feel connected and planned out together by one cohesive team.

Timeline-wise, Solo and the Obi-Wan movie could plausibly be taking place at the exact same time.
Hell throw in a live action Ezra/Obi Wan/Darth maul scene lifted straight from Rebels, and you have me sold.



And yes, there is a reason the fight was so brief....

And that reason is.....
looks like an old samurai movie where two master fought, usually ended quick.

Maul's first move is the move he did to kill Quo Gone... lots of movement followed by some swipes followed by a hit his opponent with the middle of his sword followed by the kill shot. Obi Wan has seen this before and new to counter down the middle.
I Have Spoken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here is the full explanation from Filoni:

Quote:

The instinct would be, and probably, I admit, the expectation, is for some kind of prolonged lightsaber battle. But I've done a lot of prolonged lightsaber battles over the years and I think what's most important about any kind of confrontation is what's riding on it. What's the tension going into it? It starts to matter less and less how you swing a sword or how creatively you do it if there's not a lot riding on it. []

It really is to express the difference between the Jedi and the Sith. Which is the Jedi become selfless and the Sith remain selfish. When pressed, because Obi-Wan is protecting someone else in the end, he does fight. But because he is so true and knows who he is in that moment, you can't defeat that. So Obi-Wan is going to strike down Maul because Maul is such a broken and lost person, which I think is why in the end you see Maul being cradled by Obi-Wan.

This idea is that Obi-Wan is willing to forgive this person who is so cruel and terrible because he feels pity for him. To his dying breath Maul is hoping there will be some revenge exacted upon his enemies. And in my mind, Obi-Wan expresses sadness there because that means that Maul has never grown and will never be released from his suffering. So I felt that moment had to be beyond a lightsaber fight and had to be more an expression of their characters.


Filoni pointed toward Kyuzo, master swordsman of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, as inspiration for Obi-Wan reluctantly accepting (and ending) the duel with knowledge of its quick outcome. As explained in post-show Rebels Recon, the duel also ends with Maul attempting the same hilt bash move that led to Qui-Gon Jinn's death in The Phantom Menace, though the elder Kenobi anticipates and strikes through it.
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All that exposition is great, but really it's b/c Maul, as always, is arrogant and overconfident, and Obi-Wan is a true badass, at that point.
I Have Spoken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Obi-Wan is a true badass
Agreed.

From the OT, he really was just a supporting character, a mentor to Luke, etc. But in the prequels, when he defeated Darth Maul, and particularly for me when he dove out the window in Padme's high-rise to go after that shape shifting assassin, he became the most bad-ass Jedi we ever saw. That great battle against Jango Fett on the landing platform, his duel and chase of General Grievous, and finally his long-anticipated battle against Anakin re-affirmed the thought for me that he was the greatest Jedi.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

All that exposition is great, but really it's b/c Maul, as always, is arrogant and overconfident, and Obi-Wan is a true badass, at that point.
At what point was he not a true badass.

He took out Maul once before. He killed Grievous. He beat Dark Vader before he turned into a robot. He was the first force ghost. Obi is the GOAT Jedi.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't mean to imply that he wasn't one all along.
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

Quote:


He was the first force ghost.

pshah. not even close, nerd!

QuiGon pulled that Ghostbusters crap back in the Clone Wars series.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did he actually ever show up as a ghost, or just a voice? Been a while, can't remember
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

All that exposition is great, but really it's b/c Maul, as always, is arrogant and overconfident, and Obi-Wan is a true badass, at that point.
At what point was he not a true badass.

He took out Maul once before. He killed Grievous. He beat Dark Vader before he turned into a robot. He was the first force ghost. Obi is the GOAT Jedi.
Basically, only time he came out looking like a ***** was vs Dooku, both times.

And though Qui-Gon was technically the first force ghost (debatable, I suppose), I do think Obi-Wan is GOAT. My favorite Jedi. (Tossup with Yoda.)
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
redline248 said:

Did he actually ever show up as a ghost, or just a voice? Been a while, can't remember
force ghost, and chatted with Anakin. I believe they even got Liam Neeson to do the voice.....
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It actually kind of sucks they made Obi-Wan lose those two Dooku duels so easily. But I suppose they needed to do that to show how much Anakin progressed between Eps II and III.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Farmer1906 said:

Quote:


He was the first force ghost.

pshah. not even close, nerd!

QuiGon pulled that Ghostbusters crap back in the Clone Wars series.
That is barely cannon and only a handful of people have seen it.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It actually kind of sucks they made Obi-Wan lose those two Dooku duels so easily. But I suppose they needed to do that to show how much Anakin progressed between Eps II and III.
So Obi >>>>>> Doku >>>>> Anakin > Obi

Makes no sense, but I guess it's about match ups.
I Have Spoken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

It actually kind of sucks they made Obi-Wan lose those two Dooku duels so easily. But I suppose they needed to do that to show how much Anakin progressed between Eps II and III.
So Obi >>>>>> Doku >>>>> Anakin > Obi

Makes no sense, but I guess it's about match ups.


Your rankings here do not account for the high ground.
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It actually kind of sucks they made Obi-Wan lose those two Dooku duels so easily. But I suppose they needed to do that to show how much Anakin progressed between Eps II and III.
Dooku could have killed him both times. In AOTC, Dooku hits him with 2 glancing slices instead of following through with any of them to slice off an appendage or cut him in half.

In ROTS, he force chokes him and could impale him, but instead tosses him and drops a bridge on him lol



interesting tidbit:
When Obi is taking out one of the droids as he's going up the stairs, he uses the same move he uses on Anakin at the end (cuts both legs and an arm off).
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How did that knock him out and crush yet a few min later he woke up just fine.
Page 661 of 880
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.
Only 2 days left to sign up for the Early Signing Day Special!
The 2019 regular season has wrapped and we’ve officially entered the early signing period stretch as the Ags hope to sign most of their elite 2020 recruiting class. In other words, it's a great time to try out TexAgs Premium! Sign up today and you can give TexAgs Premium a try until December 21st for only $1. The last chance to take advantage of this offer is Saturday, December 7th.