Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,886,985 Views | 43964 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
hurleyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been singing this all week.
The Collective
AG
FTR, I hope non-spoiler reactions will go up here, because I am absolutely going to want to read those tonight since I have to wait until tomorrow night.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Will definitely post my thoughts in this thread.
Velvet Jones
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

How about a couple of lesser-known characters:

And I always wanted to know more about this guy, especially WTF is that thing he's carrying?

It's an ice cream maker. Luke had one as well on Dagobah that he took with him to Bespin. Lobot's 31 Flavors I guess.
Flashdiaz
AG
since i'm very particular about spoilers i'll only post a thumbs up or down.
CAR96
AG
Seeing Last Jedi tonight, whoop!
The Collective
AG
Last Jedi at 95% on RT now; 86 on metacritic.
Farmer1906
AG
For comparison.

Star Wars - 92
Empire Strikes Backe - 81
The Force Awakens - 78
Revenge of the Sith - 68
Rogue One - 65
Attack of the Clones - 54
Return of the Jedi - 53 (how?)
Phantom Menace - 51
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Today and tomorrow are days to celebrate. Thought I'd share this story, I know I know, TLDR, with you.

In the summer of 1977, and as my dad tells it, he was listening to AM radio while working in our garage when two DJs started raving about this new movie, "Star Wars." My dad worked on an oil tanker so it was 3 months on the ship, then 2 months off. Star Wars came out when he was off work and the three of us ended up seeing it 7 times that summer in the theater. I was 3, my brother was 7, my dad all of 29.

In 1980, we saw Empire the opening Saturday. I was scared of the cave scene on Dagobah and refused to believe Vader's dirty lies about being Luke's father. I was 6, my brother was 10, my dad all of 32.

In 1983, Return of the Jedi came out while my dad was on the tanker. My brother and I had to wait 2- weeks to see ROTJ when he got home and had to rely on half-ass versions of what had happened from our friends the last week of school. Some idiot told me Jabba the Hutt was a giant octopus. Finally we saw it. And again the next day. And again the day after that. Cuz my dad is awesome like that. I was 9, My brother was 13, my dad all of 35.

In 1999, The Phantom Menace came out. My dad, my brother and I went to see The Waterboy at the movies on a Monday night just so we could see the trailer for The Phantom Menace twice (they showed it again after the movie ended). The day it came to wait in line for tickets (I waited 7 hours), my parents were on vacation and my dad was really bummed he couldn't wait in line with me. He tried to get them an earlier flight home even! On opening day, the three of us and a friend of mine from A&M saw the movie at 9 a.m., 1 p.m. , and 7 p.m. I know the detractors will laugh on that, but I wouldn't trade that day for $1 million. I was now 25, my brother 29, my dad suddenly 51.

In 2002, Attack of the Clones came out. When it was over, my dad happened to hear a guy say "I liked it much better the second time" and asked what the guy meant. I told him they were showing movies at 12:01 a.m. now so you could see it right when the opening day started. My 54-year-old dad said "We HAVE to do that for the next one." My brother, slowly turning into an introverted hermit, said "I don't know, that's really late at night." My dad turned on him and said, "It's ONE NIGHT THREE YEARS FROM NOW, STOP BEING A BABY!" I was 28, my brother 32, my dad a fired-up 54 year old.

In 2005, Revenge of the Sith came out. True to their colors, my dad was there at midnight with me and three other friends. My brother begged off because he is a wuss. My dad had seen Vader in the trailers and had brought with him an original Darth Vader action figure that he had found at a garage sale - my dad got big into eBay when he retired. He said "And when Vader comes out, I'm going to hold up the action figure over my head!" When Vader finally showed up, my dad's leg had fallen asleep and it took him 2 minutes to get Vader out of his pocket. I got home at 3 a.m., slept 4 hours, then got up and went to see it with my brother the next morning at 9 a.m. I was 31, my brother 35, my dad the coolest 57-year-old alive.

In 2015, The Force Awakens came out. I went to see it with my dad, my brother, my buddy from A&M, and my brother's daughter, 11 years old and a huge fan of Yoda, Princess Leia and Chewbacca. Having had a rough few years, I made a point to tell my brother and my dad how much it meant to me that they were both there to see it with me. When I gave my dad a big hug, he started crying. I was suddenly 41, my brother 45, my dad able to get discounted movie tickets at age 67.

Tomorrow night, I'll be at the movie theater with my dad and my brother (among others) to see our 8th episode of Star Wars together. We're all 40 years older than we were in 1977. I can barely fathom that fact. I texted my dad to tell him about the first trailer being on MNF a couple of months ago and he texted back, "I saw. Already have the DVR to record it." I'm 43, my brother is 47, my dad is the coolest 69-year-old man in the galaxy.

Sex Panther
AG
That... is one cool story, bro
AggieChemist
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Today and tomorrow are days to celebrate. Thought I'd share this story, I know I know, TLDR, with you.

In the summer of 1977, and as my dad tells it, he was listening to AM radio while working in our garage when two DJs started raving about this new movie, "Star Wars." My dad worked on an oil tanker so it was 3 months on the ship, then 2 months off. Star Wars came out when he was off work and the three of us ended up seeing it 7 times that summer in the theater. I was 3, my brother was 7, my dad all of 29.

In 1980, we saw Empire the opening Saturday. I was scared of the cave scene on Dagobah and refused to believe Vader's dirty lies about being Luke's father. I was 6, my brother was 10, my dad all of 32.

In 1983, Return of the Jedi came out while my dad was on the tanker. My brother and I had to wait 2- weeks to see ROTJ when he got home and had to rely on half-ass versions of what had happened from our friends the last week of school. Some idiot told me Jabba the Hutt was a giant octopus. Finally we saw it. And again the next day. And again the day after that. Cuz my dad is awesome like that. I was 9, My brother was 13, my dad all of 35.

In 1999, The Phantom Menace came out. My dad, my brother and I went to see The Waterboy at the movies on a Monday night just so we could see the trailer for The Phantom Menace twice (they showed it again after the movie ended). The day it came to wait in line for tickets (I waited 7 hours), my parents were on vacation and my dad was really bummed he couldn't wait in line with me. He tried to get them an earlier flight home even! On opening day, the three of us and a friend of mine from A&M saw the movie at 9 a.m., 1 p.m. , and 7 p.m. I know the detractors will laugh on that, but I wouldn't trade that day for $1 million. I was now 25, my brother 29, my dad suddenly 51.

In 2002, Attack of the Clones came out. When it was over, my dad happened to hear a guy say "I liked it much better the second time" and asked what the guy meant. I told him they were showing movies at 12:01 a.m. now so you could see it right when the opening day started. My 54-year-old dad said "We HAVE to do that for the next one." My brother, slowly turning into an introverted hermit, said "I don't know, that's really late at night." My dad turned on him and said, "It's ONE NIGHT THREE YEARS FROM NOW, STOP BEING A BABY!" I was 28, my brother 32, my dad a fired-up 54 year old.

In 2005, Revenge of the Sith came out. True to their colors, my dad was there at midnight with me and three other friends. My brother begged off because he is a wuss. My dad had seen Vader in the trailers and had brought with him an original Darth Vader action figure that he had found at a garage sale - my dad got big into eBay when he retired. He said "And when Vader comes out, I'm going to hold up the action figure over my head!" When Vader finally showed up, my dad's leg had fallen asleep and it took him 2 minutes to get Vader out of his pocket. I got home at 3 a.m., slept 4 hours, then got up and went to see it with my brother the next morning at 9 a.m. I was 31, my brother 35, my dad the coolest 57-year-old alive.

In 2015, The Force Awakens came out. I went to see it with my dad, my brother, my buddy from A&M, and my brother's daughter, 11 years old and a huge fan of Yoda, Princess Leia and Chewbacca. Having had a rough few years, I made a point to tell my brother and my dad how much it meant to me that they were both there to see it with me. When I gave my dad a big hug, he started crying. I was suddenly 41, my brother 45, my dad able to get discounted movie tickets at age 67.

Tomorrow night, I'll be at the movie theater with my dad and my brother (among others) to see our 8th episode of Star Wars together. We're all 40 years older than we were in 1977. I can barely fathom that fact. I texted my dad to tell him about the first trailer being on MNF a couple of months ago and he texted back, "I saw. Already have the DVR to record it." I'm 43, my brother is 47, my dad is the coolest 69-year-old man in the galaxy.

Flashdiaz
AG
what about Rogue One?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dude. Great stuff. That is awesome.

I do wish I had that sort of experience with my dad, or even my brother. Neither of them gives two ****s about Star Wars.

But that said, I do have great memories of going to see Revenge of the Sith on opening day with my friends in high school, right after our semester finals. Still keep up with all of them, and we've been chatting for weeks about how excited we are for this one.

We're basically all going to see it tonight, although I will be going alone since I'm up on the East Coast. Still, I feel that communal thing with them and it'll be fun to discuss the movie afterwards.

Thanks for posting, your posts were always some of the best stuff in this thread.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Flashdiaz said:

what about Rogue One?
I was in the hospital and didn't get to see RO until a few months ago.
Flashdiaz
AG
Ok, that's a good excuse.
COOL LASER FALCON
D Magazine posted their original review on twitter earlier. Not sure anything has ever captured what I love about Star Wars as well as this review.

https://www.dmagazine.com/arts-entertainment/2015/12/read-d-magazines-1977-review-of-star-wars/
snowdog90
COOL LASER FALCON said:

D Magazine posted their original review on twitter earlier. Not sure anything has ever captured what I love about Star Wars as well as this review.

https://www.dmagazine.com/arts-entertainment/2015/12/read-d-magazines-1977-review-of-star-wars/
Holy crap, the reviewer gives away the ending. What a turd. Good review, but I would have been pretty ticked if I read it before seeing the movie.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That's a great story. Although I must confess that while I was reading it, I was preparing for a far different ending. I'm happy for you that you get to build these life-long memories with your dad. He does sound like the coolest 69 year old out there.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

That's a great story. Although I must confess that while I was reading it, I was preparing for a far different ending. I'm happy for you that you get to build these life-long memories with your dad. He does sound like the coolest 69 year old out there.
And he's an Aggie
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seeing as how we have some time to kill, what would you guys like to see Disney do with their newly-aquired OT distribution rights?

Will they do theatrical re-releases for all three movies? Remaster them in 4K?
AggieChemist
AG
Release the original trilogy sans tinkering. You can clean them up, and THX master them, whatever, but cut all the extra bull**** and put the original footage back in. I'd be happy with that.

I should never have gotten rid of my VHS copies.
TXAG 05
AG
AggieChemist said:

Release the original trilogy sans tinkering. You can clean them up, and THX master them, whatever, but cut all the extra bull**** and put the original footage back in. I'd be happy with that.

You can get the theatrical cuts on DVD
AggieChemist
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

AggieChemist said:

You can get the theatrical cuts on DVD
You can?
TXAG 05
AG
Yes. I own them. Its a box set of the original trilogy, 6 discs, the original cuts and the ones with all the crap added
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Empire Strikes Back Special Edition is a vast improvement. Cloud City looks great.

And Palpatine hologram scene has continuity with the rest of the saga. (Though I do wish they made him look closer to his ROTJ look instead of ROTS.)
MGS
The ESB DVD has the new hologram and dialog, it's awful.
The Collective
AG
The changes in Empire don't bug me that much or maybe it just pales in comparison to what they did to the other two films. Star Wars - fix Mos Eisley special edition screw-ups (Han/Greedo & remove Jabba). ROTJ fix the abomination that is Jabba's palace, remove that "Nooooo" ****, fix Ewok celebration, remove force ghost Ani.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Seeing as how we have some time to kill, what would you guys like to see Disney do with their newly-aquired OT distribution rights?

Will they do theatrical re-releases for all three movies? Remaster them in 4K?
Boba Fett vs. Wolverine movie
Daisy Ridley as Rey + Jessica Alba as Sue Storm + ScarJo as Black Widow doing literally anything together
Chris Evans playing both Johnny Storm and Captain America in the same movie.
Replace Dack with Jar Jar Binks in ESB (Look out, Luke, weeesa gonna crashen the snow!)
Lobot reunited with his long-lost father, Professor X
CGI de-aged Lando Calrissian sets out to bone every legal chick at Xavier's school.

The Collective
AG
Quote:

Daisy Ridley as Rey + Jessica Alba as Sue Storm + ScarJo as Black Widow doing literally anything together

I could think of a couple of things for the script.
AGGies0311
Silver Surfer in Infinity Wars... or vs Thor
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

fix Ewok celebration,
They did. Yub Nub sucks.
InnerCityAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

fix Ewok celebration,
They did. Yub Nub sucks.

What in the actual **** did you just say?

If I had a rubber hose....
Ag Since 83
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

fix Ewok celebration,
They did. Yub Nub sucks.

Yub Nub!!!!!!!!
TXAG 05
AG
MGS said:

The ESB DVD has the new hologram and dialog, it's awful.
On the special edition DVD it does, not on the theatrical version.

Give me Yub Nub over that galactic celebration crap anyday, especially since we now know that the Empire wasn't completely defeated after Endor.
The Collective
AG
Yub Nub is best Nub.
First Page Last Page
Page 642 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.