Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,496 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, I could see your point. People will be excited enough about TLJ and they won't want to shift energy away from that with a brand new trailer.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Is there an outside possibility of Solo's theatrical release date getting pushed back?
TCTTS
AG
They would have done it by now. The first poster released week before last with the May date on it. If there was any chance whatsoever of it still moving to December, there's no way they would have put that date on the poster. I'd say the last chance it had of moving was this past July at D23. I was half-expecting an announcement then, but when they doubled down on the May date, it was obvious that they were locked on it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Cool, thanks. Really hope it's a great movie. I'm expecting at least a good one.
The Collective
AG
Maybe throw a surprise BTS reel in there before the movie. Start the reel with Lord & Miller in the boardroom being told by Kathleen that they are fired.
The Shank Ag
Don't spoil the trailers. I need complete surprise! [/texags]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Filming to start on Obi-Wan in Jan 2019, making it a likely release for 2020 after Ep IX.

http://omegaunderground.com/2017/12/09/lucasfilm-eyeing-early-2019-production-start-kenobi-anthology-film/
wangus12
AG
For all that is sacred get Ewan McGregor back
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For all of you avoiding the TLJ thread, all I will say is, the reaction from tonight's premiere is overwhelmingly positive.

We've got nothing to worry about.
jr15aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

For all of you avoiding the TLJ thread, all I will say is, the reaction from tonight's premiere is overwhelmingly positive.

We've got nothing to worry about.

Yep. I will say to avoid all the tweets if you really want to know nothing. You can tell a lot of them are dieing to tell all... And in their excitement they are giving too many hints.

That would be hard though... Seeing it and not being able to talk about it.

I'm trying my best to check out now... 4 long work day and then it's time!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just finished TFA. Max hype boner achieved.

4 days!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
[Do not post in that manner on this forum. -Staff]
The Collective
AG
Just came over from that thread. I missed it fortunately. Think I am absolutely out now.
tamusc
AG
CJS4715 said:

Just came over from that thread. I missed it fortunately. Think I am absolutely out now.
Ditto, it's going to be tough to not discuss the movie on here until then but I don't want to accidentally read a real spoiler.
AGGies0311
[The movie isn't mass released yet. Do not post spoilers or possible spoilers. -Staff]
TCTTS
AG
Your schtick in either thread isn't funny, dude.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

[Do not post in that manner on this forum. -Staff]
My warning that a poster is posting spoilers?

[Your calling people names. That is not allowed on this forum and we are not going to discuss it any further. -Staff]
TCTTS
AG
What the hell is going on?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
None of your posts have been discussion, only spoilers. Or stuff you're trying to pass off as spoilers. Either way, you clearly are fishing for a reaction. Just stop.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Carrie's daughter at the premiere.

fig96
AG
amercer
AG
Looks like spoilers and rumors of spoilers have jumped the shark here.

See you all Friday night!
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

4 days!
Just did a rewatch as well. First time in full since the theater...

The first act remains fantastic. Heck, I'd say even most of the first half is pretty damn good. The way in which Han encounters Rey and Finn - and the randomness of it - still kind of bugs me, but it was easier to buy this go around. That, and within the given narrative, I can't think of any better way. I didn't even mind the stuff with the rival gangs and the rathtars. That was actually pretty fun.

That said, the second half, save for the Kylo/Rey fight in the snow, is just not good. Basically everything from Maz's castle through the end, pale's in comparison to the first half. You can just feel the bandaids being applied to the script, the more it starts to unravel, and the more it's jammed into A New Hope redo. Especially the way Luke's lightsaber is introduced, with zero context or revere - it still drives me insane. That, and the Starkiller base/weapon remains so incredibly dumb and uninspired. I totally forgot how, the first time it's fired, everyone on Maz's planet can see it destroying the Republic capital, of which there is almost zero weight paid to in the moment. Just so many half-assed moments like that.

All in all, the first half was even better than remember it, but the second still half leaves the same bad taste it did the first time I saw it. Regardless, I'm glad I rewatched it. Definitely got me in primed and ready for what sounds like a much better, more well-rounded experience with TLJ.
AgMarauder04
AG
I really, really enjoyed the end of it. Everything from the castle to the end really demonstrated the odds the resistance was up against and showed the desperation of their fight.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

I totally forgot how, the first time it's fired, everyone on Maz's planet can see it destroying the Republic capital, of which there is almost zero weight paid to in the moment.
I agree with this.

There was very little weight given to that moment, where 5 planets are destroyed. Planets we've never seen before and given little to no information on.

Hell, when I first watched it, I thought they had destroyed Coruscant at first.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

4 days!
Just did a rewatch as well. First time in full since the theater...

The first act remains fantastic. Heck, I'd say even most of the first half is pretty damn good. The way in which Han encounters Rey and Finn - and the randomness of it - still kind of bugs me, but it was easier to buy this go around. That, and within the given narrative, I can't think of any better way. I didn't even mind the stuff with the rival gangs and the rathtars. That was actually pretty fun.

That said, the second half, save for the Kylo/Rey fight in the snow, is just not good. Basically everything from Maz's castle through the end, pale's in comparison to the first half. You can just feel the bandaids being applied to the script, the more it starts to unravel, and the more it's jammed into A New Hope redo. Especially the way Luke's lightsaber is introduced, with zero context or revere - it still drives me insane. That, and the Starkiller base/weapon remains so incredibly dumb and uninspired. I totally forgot how, the first time it's fired, everyone on Maz's planet can see it destroying the Republic capital, of which there is almost zero weight paid to in the moment. Just so many half-assed moments like that.

All in all, the first half was even better than remember it, but the second still half leaves the same bad taste it did the first time I saw it. Regardless, I'm glad I rewatched it. Definitely got me in primed and ready for what sounds like a much better, more well-rounded experience with TLJ.
You didn't like Ford and Driver's scene together?
jr15aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

I totally forgot how, the first time it's fired, everyone on Maz's planet can see it destroying the Republic capital, of which there is almost zero weight paid to in the moment.
I agree with this.

There was very little weight given to that moment, where 5 planets are destroyed. Planets we've never seen before and given little to no information on.

Right... that was the laziest part of the whole movie. And what about the solar system of every sun they sucked dry? So this planet just traveled at crazy warp speeds to a new sun every time it had to fire? Nothing about Star Killer Base made any sense at all.
The Collective
AG
I hate Star Killer Base so much. It is one of the worst ideas in the history of the franchise. Obviously, they used it as a plot device where they didn't have to provide much context (like a big death star) but went overboard with its capabilities.
Ag Since 83
AG
Definitely a weak spot, but I didn't mind it that much because it was definitely just a backdrop for the main show, which was the character stuff on the surface. And thought part was well done.
DB Coach
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

I agree with this.

I'm not disagreeing, but didn't this same exact thing happen in ANH with Alderaan?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, and I thought about this as I was posting. But I guess even that had a tiny bit more weight to it, seeing Leia's reaction to the destruction of her home planet, and Obi-Wan reacting to it as well.

In TFA, we basically get one shot from Hosnian Prime, a quick reaction shot outside Maz's Castle and Finn saying "The First Order, they've done this", and that's that.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, and I thought about this as I was posting. But I guess even that had a tiny bit more weight to it, seeing Leia's reaction to the destruction of her home planet, and Obi-Wan reacting to it as well.

In TFA, we basically get one shot from Hosnian Prime, a quick reaction shot outside Maz's Castle and Finn saying "The First Order, they've done this", and that's that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So, just 3 days out. Hard to believe we're almost there.

When is everyone watching? Time, format, etc?

RPX 3D Thursday at 6 PM for me. Though I do plan on checking it out in 2D as well at some point in the weekend.
Farmer1906
AG
Thursday
6pm - Opening Night Fan Event
AMC 30 IMAX in Houston

First Page Last Page
Page 637 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.