Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,891,046 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Luke's sister was going to turn up in the next trilogy, not Jedi.

But ultimately I agree that it doesn't matter. I don't mind, and actually like that Luke and Leia are siblings. Just pointing out that the "another" was not originally Leia, and in that context the "another" being Ezra or Rey isn't crazy.
MGS
redline248 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

There's precedent in canon for people with strong connections between each other being able to call out to each other. Mainly in TCW between Ahsoka and Plo Koon, Ahsoka and Anakin, and Kenobi and Anakin. When one or the other was missing, one of them was able to feel them out and find them. I don't think their love is necessarily a prerequisite for it, but rather a strong connection.
I think you're making my point. They are all force users. And Leia feeling Han's death is a bad example if you're trying to make the case she isn't a force user. It basically confirms her being the other Skywalker Yoda mentioned, retconned or not.

There aren't examples of Han sensing things through the force related to someone to whom he has a strong connection. All the way back to A New Hope we've seen force users knowing things over long distances. I think the evidence is that Leia was using the force, implying her character was meant to be a force user.

Even from a story telling perspective, I think the writers were leaving a clue. You have Obi-wan tell Luke he can't interfere, Yoda say there is another Skywalker, then Luke...after first calling for Ben, calls to Leia.
Well, it could have been Kylo Ren calling out to Leia at the moment of Han's death...
redline248
AG
The point is, she wouldn't be able to hear/feel/whatever if she wasn't force sensitive. My opinion, anyway.

edit to add: It's also over complicates the scene.
The Collective
AG
The history behind the movies is one thing. The reality of canon seems to point to the fact that only force users can communicate directly and that it would take a force user to sense something that is occurring or just occurred. Direct communication between two force users seems to require a personal connection between the individuals. The only exception I can think of would be force ghost Yoda appearing to Ezra in Rebels, but that may be different since Yoda is no longer a physical being... it could also be an example of force power creep that is common in cartoons.

If my wife read the above paragraph, I'm pretty sure she would divorce me.
redline248
AG
Quote:

Ha, I test the strength of my wife's love regularly with such nerdtastic nonsense
Rex Racer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Would you all be for or against the idea of retconning that line to be in reference to Rey? What if he could foresee another powerful force user years ahead of time?

Also, if Leia wasn't planned to be Luke's sister in ESB, why was she able to communicate with him via the force in Cloud City?
That line doesn't make a ton of sense anyway. There are apparently many people in the galaxy that are "force sensitive" and could become Jedi. So Luke wasn't "our last hope", either. Although, he was the last person in a position to do anything about Vader and the Emperor, so I guess from that point of view, he was.
redline248
AG

Quote:

The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him.
It's quite possible that some random run of the mill force user wasn't going to cut it.
Urban Ag
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

Ha, I test the strength of my wife's love regularly with such nerdtastic nonsense
Don't know about you guys but my defense is to quickly remind my wife that she watches Bachelor, Real Housewives, and on occasion, the kardashians. Blank face response.
The Collective
AG
Rex Racer said:

That line doesn't make a ton of sense anyway. There are apparently many people in the galaxy that are "force sensitive" and could become Jedi. So Luke wasn't "our last hope", either. Although, he was the last person in a position to do anything about Vader and the Emperor, so I guess from that point of view, he was.

Yes, but Luke is the last individual connected to the Jedi directly, unless Yoda plans to jump on a ship and go find a force-user to train. If the line isn't a direct connection to the Skywalkers and specifically Leia (which I think it is), the only other individuals that it could be are Kanan, Ezra, or maybe Ahsoka. These are the only known individuals with a connection to the Jedi order with an unknown fate at this point.
Flashdiaz
AG
Rex Racer said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Would you all be for or against the idea of retconning that line to be in reference to Rey? What if he could foresee another powerful force user years ahead of time?

Also, if Leia wasn't planned to be Luke's sister in ESB, why was she able to communicate with him via the force in Cloud City?

exactly... remember, Yoda saw Vader and the Emperor take out the entire Jedi order, beat Obi Wan (eventually) and forced yoda into hiding (he tried fighting).... any other force user wasn't going to defeat them two. And actually Luke didn't beat the Emperor himself, he had to bring his father back to the light to get him to do a sneak attack pit toss.
So Anakin's kids were most definitely the only hope remaining.
Rex Racer
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him.
It's quite possible that some random run of the mill force user wasn't going to cut it.
Very true. Perhaps only the Skywalkers were strong enough. We did see Palps manhandle multiple Jedi at once in Revenge of the Sith.
redline248
AG
Rex Racer said:

redline248 said:

Quote:

Very true. Perhaps only the Skywalkers were strong enough. We did see Palps manhandle multiple Jedi at once in Revenge of the Sith.
ugh, you had to bring that up. Hey, Masters of the Jedi Council...try not to get taken out like padawan b-tches.
The Collective
AG
redline248 said:

Hey, Masters of the Jedi Council...try not to get taken out like padawan b-tches.

I actually find this to be the worst moment of the prequels.
Flashdiaz
AG
CJS4715 said:

redline248 said:

Hey, Masters of the Jedi Council...try not to get taken out like padawan b-tches.

I actually find this to be the worst moment of the prequels.
have most of them even fought a regular sith before? Quo Gone lost to an apprentice so the Jedi weren't some badass elite force simply because they didn't have anyone to fight that was on par with their skills. They were used to fighting dumb droids and deflecting blaster bolts.

So of course multiple jedi were manhandled by the emperor... they underestimated him and paid the price.
redline248
AG
They spend their entire lives learning to fight against Sith, even if there were none around to actually fight. Masters on the council should at least be able to live as long as Ep2 Anakin vs Dooku. Especially in a 4 v 1 scenario.
The Collective
AG
How many Jedi had Palps bested at that point? Serious question, I don't know the EU that well.

These were not padawans - they were sitting members of the Jedi Council, and they were all there together. It's a preposterous scene.
Flashdiaz
AG
no doubt the scene could have been better but it was put in to show how dangerous Palpatine was.

It can be explained away that the Jedi haven't really seen real saber combat at all... were overconfident in themselves, underestimated Palpatine and maybe not the best fighters.

Hell, Grevious (mostly robot with asthma) killed a whole bunch of Jedi.

In conclusion, Jedi are mostly paper tigers at this point. Even those on the Council who were probably appointed due to their strategies and smarts rather than their saber skills.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anyone ever stop and think how cocky Obi-Wan was in the beginning of ROTS?

"Chancellor, Sith Lords are our speciality."

You've fought two Sith in your life, dude. You got lucky in the first fight, and got your ass handed to you in the second. Not to mention by the SAME GUY you're about to fight again.
redline248
AG
You know Palpatine wanted to lightning the shht out of him when he said that.

Good point above about Grievous. The average knight seemed to suck pretty bad. Even in the legends stuff, freaking Asajj Ventress was always killing them, and she wasn't even a true Sith.
TCTTS
AG
DartAg1970
AG
Just to add another wrinkle to the Luke/Lea sensing each other. In ROTS, Palpatine asks for a storm trooper to bring him his shuttle because he "sensed Lord Vadar was in danger."

I tend to agree I think it is a force user thing not necessarily a physical or emotional connection.
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Anyone ever stop and think how cocky Obi-Wan was in the beginning of ROTS?

"Chancellor, Sith Lords are our speciality."

You've fought two Sith in your life, dude. You got lucky in the first fight, and got your ass handed to you in the second. Not to mention by the SAME GUY you're about to fight again.

I loved that line.

Obi does have an impressive record. He smoked Maul, pre robot Vader, & grievous.
redline248
AG
Owned by Dooku twice
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Owned by Dooku twice

True but he survived both with all his limbs.

Everyone has their Achilles heel. Old British men must be his.
Malachi Constant
AG
KREIA
AliasMan02
AG
Pretty much all Jedi outside of main characters go out like little *****es in episodes 2 and 3. The worst is in the battle on Geonosis.
Flashdiaz
AG
aggie1906 said:

redline248 said:

Owned by Dooku twice

True but he survived both with all his limbs.

Everyone has their Achilles heel. Old British men must be his.
lol. to be fair, in Episode 2 Dooku just hurt him enough to get him to stop fighting.... following through on either one of those would have resulted in Obi Wan losing an entire arm or leg. Maybe Dooku had a thing for younger Scottish men.

double aught
AG
Obi Wan did have a plan. It was just thrown out the window by Annie.
redline248
AG
Does Anakin get credit for 2 losses to Dooku in that hangar?
The Collective
AG
double aught said:

It was just thrown out the window by Annie.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lol, smoked Maul. That was a blowout victory for Maul until after Qui Gon was killed and Obi-Wan went HAM. And as badass as that part of the fight was, it was really a stalemate. Gotta give credit to Obi-Wan for coming back and getting the upset in OT.
amercer
AG
When you chop a fool in half you've owned him by definition. Doesn't matter how long it took to get there.
Farmer1906
AG
It was damn close until it wasn't. Kind of how things go when using lightsabers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

These are getting better and better.
TCTTS
AG
Some color for yesterday's conversation...

http://www.slashfilm.com/reys-dad-theory-benicio-del-toro-as-ezra-bridger/
First Page Last Page
Page 549 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.