Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,885,817 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I know it's tough to think about, but if she was really supposed to have a huge role in Episode 9, they should consider recasting the part. It could be done, if proceeding carefully and respectfully.
I'd like to nominate Monica Bellucci
Hagen95
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Hagen95 said:

Darth Sidious has already come and slapped down Maul once. Perhaps he does it again?

Kenobi
I would lean more that way than anyone else. Has he made any appearance yet on Rebels?
AliasMan02
AG
No but it is imminent.
The Collective
AG
Rebels season 2 was solid, especially the second half. I'm glad I have an excuse (kid) to watch it.
Dro07
AG
i think a holographic image has but not him in the real form
Texaggie7nine
Going in I guess I was expecting some sort of espionage, spy movie where Jyn was going to go in as a spy and be subjected to lots of emotional tearing apart because of her relationship with her dad. The way the trailers were structured with Saw Gerra talking about not breaking and being tested. Heck I think Forrest Whitaker had longer screen time in the trailers than the actual movie. I'm fairly certain there were a lot of scenes that didn't make it to the movie from the trailer and I haven't really been reading this thread so I have no idea how that worked out.

The first 30 mins or so were very jumpy as far as pacing goes but understandable with how much ground had to be covered to catch us up to what all was going on.

I enjoyed the characters for the most part but I found myself being very judgmental on how the film was nowhere near as close to character driven as the main story-line. They just seemed to be lacking. However once they got to the actual final mission and all the action ratcheted up, I just sat back and was in Star Wars bliss. The final mins of course made the whole thing worthwhile no matter what happened previously.

I do have to say I was disappointed in how little Donnie Yen was utilized. After his one and only full fight scene at the beginning of the movie had me super excited to see more from him, I was sad to find out that was pretty much it. I just think so much more could have been done with his physical talent as well as the character itself. I actually made the guess that Jyn was going to use the crystal she had on her necklace to help Donnie's character fashion some type of light sabre weapon. The dude dedicated his life to the force and obviously wanted nothing more than to be a Jedi. Let him have a little taste before he died.

Other than that, I loved the movie and liked it even more than Ep 7.
7nine
AliasMan02
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

titan said:

Ah, got it. Very, very interesting all the more for that. So unrelated to present.
I'm not so sure that it's a rumor. I've seen it posted elsewhere other than Making Star Wars that leads me to believe that there's some truth to that. Most of what was said about that was Laura Dern was cast then some scenes filmed there after, and there was supposed to be some kind of tension between their two characters which is one reason why I think Laura Dern's character is from the Leia comics.

I've done some research on who I think Laura Dern could be. There are some popular theories, two of which stand out. Laura Dern is 49. I don't think she can be Carise Sindian, from Bloodline, who is only 36 when we get to Episode VII.

I also don't, no matter how much I want it to be true, think that she is Evaan Verlaine. We don't know Evaan's age, but as she was a fighter pilot at the battles of Scarif and Yavin, she definitely appears to be at least as old as Leia, though I think she is portrayed as being older than that by a couple of years. Dern at 49 playing someone who is at least 53 and likely 56ish is possible but seems to be on the margin. But maybe we have hope since they could have cast and shown Evaan as a cameo in RO, but didn't. We also should consider that Rvaan has now shown up a couple of times, appearing in Life Debt as well.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
MGS said:

Anakin took his mom's last name.
Well why would he have gone by Anakin Midichlorian?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brennus said:

MGS said:

Anakin took his mom's last name.
Well why would he have gone by Anakin Midichlorian?

Anakin Chlorian-Skywalker

And Midi transparently got around.

Also, what if Ben took his grandma's last name? Amidala?
jabberwalkie09
AG
I don't think it's that far fetched, and I don't think her age necessarily holds her back in that regard.
AliasMan02
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

I don't think it's that far fetched, and I don't think her age necessarily holds her back in that regard.
The more I think about it, the more I think it could work. To be honest, I've assumed that she would be on the other side of things, but her look could even work pretty well. And I could see her in that role.

The biggest thing in its favor was Evaan being retconned into RO and ANH, and popping up in Life Debt. The Story Group seems to really like to establish track records for characters that they pull from more obscure sources, like they did with Saw and as I think they're going to do at some point with Rae Sloane in some capacity, perhaps as an antagonist or foil of note in the Han Solo film.
redline248
AG
For you book readers, aside from Poe (whose parents are written about in one of those Aftermath books, right?) have any other characters from books made it into R1 or TFA? Possible Dern plays a brand new character? Some new Republic leader of some sort?

Or maybe Snoke's mom?
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

For you book readers, aside from Poe (whose parents are written about in one of those Aftermath books, right?) have any other characters from books made it into R1 or TFA? Possible Dern plays a brand new character? Some new Republic leader of some sort?

Or maybe Snoke's mom?
Despite our best hopes and guesses, smart money is on Dern playing someone new, imo.
TCTTS
AG
Dern is playing some kind of aristocrat. I think she might have political ties or a political poistion, but I'm not sure. The description of her character was very Hunger Games-esque - kind of in the vein of that affluent ruling class.
TCTTS
AG
Uh, holy sh*t, this would be awesome...

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/woody-harrelson-star-wars-han-solo-spinoff-1201943429/
TCTTS
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Uh, holy sh*t, this would be awesome...

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/woody-harrelson-star-wars-han-solo-spinoff-1201943429/
Garris Shrike?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Garris_Shrike

(anyone read: "Paradise Snare"?)
The Collective
Ag Since 83
AG
redline248 said:

Or maybe Snoke's mom?
Poe's parents were in the Shattered Empire comic series. Other than that there's some small apperances: the girl Leia sends to Hosnian Prime (who was also in the deleted scene posted recently) is in Bloodline I believe, and Hux's dad is in Life Debt (and I think his son is referred to)

Of course Thrawn is in Rebels now and he's getting his own canon book in April
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Or maybe Snoke's mom?

Poes folks are in shattered empire. A 4 part comic that takes place right after the battle of endor.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

Dern is playing some kind of aristocrat. I think she might have political ties or a political poistion, but I'm not sure. The description of her character was very Hunger Games-esque - kind of in the vein of that affluent ruling class.
The character we're discussing could very well play that role given where she's from, though it might be a stretch.

My leading theory is that she and BDT are influential elites in the FO. She wouldn't be playing her, but her character would be in the same vein as Lady Carise Sindian .

edit: The forum code slaggin hates it when you try to put a URL in spoiler tags.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Happy new year everyone.

Been out of country the past week, so haven't kept up, but we are now in post-Rogue One territory. All spoilers are now fair game even without spoiler tags.

R.I.P. Carrie Fisher.
redline248
AG
Mostly unrelated to the topics being discussed, but does anyone else find the idea of a Galactic Senate completely unrealistic? Using Earth as an example, the extreme diversity of a planet makes it seem pretty unrealistic. Is Naboo the most diverse planet in Star Wars?
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

Or maybe Snoke's mom?
My full off the top of my head list of expanded canon characters that show up in the movies in one way or another:

• Evaan Verlaine is in the Leia comic and Life Debt, and is present (but not shown on screen) at the battles of Scarif and Yavin
  • Hera Syndulla, from Rebels and A New Dawn, is referred to by name in Rogue One, and her ship, the Ghost, is also in the film quite a bit
  • Chopper, the Ghost's astromech from Rebels, is in Rogue One
  • Temmin "Snap" Wexley, from Aftermath and Life Debt, is in Episode VII and presumably will be in Episode VIII

There are lots of characters that have FIRST been introduced in a film and then shown up in other sources, but that's my list of those that have gone the other way.

There are a number of characters that have shown up in various Aftermath "Interludes" that I fully expect to appear on screen in future films or Rebels or somewhere. I assume that these characters, or at least the factions they represent, are all seeds planted by the Story Group for exposition. Chief among these would be the Acolytes of the Beyond (Dark Side/Vader worshipers), and Cobb Vanth and his whole storyline on Tatooine.
jabberwalkie09
AG
AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

Chief among these would be the Acolytes of the Beyond (Dark Side/Vader worshipers), and Cobb Vanth and his whole storyline on Tatooine.

Any connection to the Knights of Ren?
AliasMan02
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

Chief among these would be the Acolytes of the Beyond (Dark Side/Vader worshipers), and Cobb Vanth and his whole storyline on Tatooine.

Any connection to the Knights of Ren?
Not explicitly, and I doubt there's anything to it except perhaps they help perpetuate the mythos of the Dark Side after the Sith are gone until Snoke can establish whatever order he has created/revived.

So far we have just seen them acquire a red lightsaber on Taris purported to be Vader's (obviously untrue) with the intent to destroy it to return it to its master, and lead a mass series of terror attacks on Corellia. It seems to be equally made up of legit Dark Side cultists and punks who love graffiti and intense violence.

The Interlude in Aftermath: Life Debt that features them is legitimately chilling, though a bit cliche. But what about Star Wars isn't at least a BIT cliche?
Ag Since 83
AG
Oh yeah forgot about Snaps
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

just gold....

http://uproxx.com/movies/star-wars-revenge-of-the-sith-bootleg-subtitles/

titan
S

Quote:

Mostly unrelated to the topics being discussed, but does anyone else find the idea of a Galactic Senate completely unrealistic? Using Earth as an example, the extreme diversity of a planet makes it seem pretty unrealistic. Is Naboo the most diverse planet in Star Wars?
I hear you. But I took the term `Senate' loosely. The planets are probably almost entirely self-governing, and only very, very major infrastructure projects would need the Senator to speak for them. The other thing to understand is there is a suspension of disbelief that the SW Universe clearly asks for regarding planets:

"Extreme diversity of a planet" is exactly what they almost never show. They use planets for visual purposes as a kind of short-hand for nations, or more precisely, city-states. Since even nations have great variety, again usually never implied.

If you take the "Coruscant" syndrome as a template, you will see it tends to be forest world, ice world, Cape Canaveral World (that is what Scarif looked like), Nyiragongo Volcano world (Mustafar.)

This works just fine if you let it just be a story. The handling of planets in this aspect has always been kind of ludicrous for the reasons you mentioned.

Think of the Senate as the same way --- shorthand for the `city state' representatives.

[But I say ludicrous in a teasing way --- I actually very much enjoy the shorthand formula, how it operates. But SW can frustrate anyone that has interest in geography and geological realities of variation, or biospheres, lol. Sometimes you see it, but it never overtakes much the dominant pattern above.]
redline248
AG
Dro07
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

My absolute favorite English translation sign from the 2008 Beijing Olympics.....not SW related but.....

apparently just plugged in to a translator and printed out whatever the English response was...not one person spoke enough English apparently to catch problems like this....

this was supposed to be giving some directions to incoming travelers.....

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

just gold....

http://uproxx.com/movies/star-wars-revenge-of-the-sith-bootleg-subtitles/

Those are great. My borther brought home a bootleg of Ep III from Iraq that had been translated to Russian, Chinese, and back to English...

The Jedi were called the Presbyterians throughout the movie and there were quite a few F-Bombs and SH!^s thrown in there.

Quote:

fig96
AG
This played before our Rogue One showing at Alamo and is amazing if you haven't seen it.

512Ag
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Those are great. My borther brought home a bootleg of Ep III from Iraq that had been translated to Russian, Chinese, and back to English...

The Jedi were called the Presbyterians throughout the movie and there were quite a few F-Bombs and SH!^s thrown in there.

Quote:

As a Presbyterian myself, I take great pride in these translations.
First Page Last Page
Page 533 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.