Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,885,180 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Admittedly I don't get much into the expanded universe so this has probably been covered, but I thought they were pretty unsure that freezing someone in carbonite was even going to work. That's why they froze Han first as a test right to make sure it wouldn't kill Luke?
TCTTS
AG
Very good point.
Simplebay
AG
I've been thinking about this....and i think that Vader will not get ANY action on screen.

There might be some implied action, but i think they are (maybe sadly) only going use him as a driving force/threat. As much as i'd like to see him go on screen SW Rebels on the entire group...the more i think about it i just don't see it.

I hope i'm wrong, but i think we're going to get a great movie, with a few missed opportunities, including the lack of using Vader in this way....to keep it from being better than TFA.

Also...i don't think these characters will be nearly well enough written. I liked the casting of Felicity Jones, but i fear Gareth Edwards won't direct her properly and she's going to be giving a flat and wooden performance.

I still suspect a great movie, but i don't expect a phenomenal movie, or better than TFA.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Any particular reason you don't expect any Vader action?

I think screen time will be minimal but very significant and will come mostly in the last act.
TCTTS
AG
Re: Vader hardly getting any screen time, I agree with Simplebay. The way they've treated him in the trailers is really, really weird, and the only thing that makes sense is that he's hardly in the movie at all. I think his presence will definitely be felt at all times, and that he may have a cool little moment or two, but that's about it. I'd be shocked if he has more than five minutes of total screen time throughout.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Simplebay
AG
not a reason at all. i just have a gut feeling now that we're going to be left disappointed RE Vader.

but, not trying to be a debbie downer. I just think we would've see a hint of something more. They want to tell a ragtag story here, sadly not glorify or expound on Vader's powers.

They think they have enough prowess (hehe) with him already, i think they want to really bring back the era of nostalgia and hope. Vader will be used a Macguffin in this.

Krennick is fked. he will be built up, then ruined, and we'll love it. and the movie will end on a "we are going to win this thing after all", not a downer note. can't really have that if Vader is slaughtering everyone, which i hoped for.
boogieman
AG
If they do it right, they have to end on a downer where all hope is lost.

So then, you can go right into Ep. IV, and have, "A New Hope".
TCTTS
AG
A downer ending is definitely what I'm hoping for, no pun intended.
hunter2012
AG
Is it supposed to seem hopeless before "A New Hope"? Vader going ham would certainly do that.

I still hope that the finishing shot ends with the Star Destroyer chasing down Leia's ship over Tatooine.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

not a reason at all. i just have a gut feeling now that we're going to be left disappointed RE Vader.
I suspect you could be right about this movie not being Vader from beginning to end, but I'd be mildly surprised that they would take the most iconic movie villain in history and only use him in drips and drops. I hope I'm not disappointed in the use of Vader.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Ok so after watching that video on that theory here is my wild outlandish guess for Episode VIII .

Vader captured the team but used the force on the weak minded so much that he changed them to be the knights of Ren, they are basically Vader servants. Kylo is the perfect leader for them since he wants to be Vader. Then during Episode VIII or XI the redemption isn't Kylo by Rey but the Knights of Ren by Rey. She releases them from the hell that Vader did to them.

TCTTS
AG
You know what would be funny/awesome is if after the end credits for Rogue One, there's a trailer for the "sequel"... and it's the original trailer for Star Wars.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MandoArms
[URL=.html][/URL]

This is a rebellion isn't it?
Farmer1906
AG
I finished Catalyst yesterday. Easily the most boring of the new EU I've read so far. I'm going to give Luceno another chance and read Tarkin. Even though I didn't love Caalyst I think it'll enhance my enjoyment of Rogue One to know the back story on some of the characters.
MandoArms
aggie1906 said:

I finished Catalyst yesterday. Easily the most boring of the new EU I've read so far. I'm going to give Luceno another chance and read Tarkin. Even though I didn't love Caalyst I think it'll enhance my enjoyment of Rogue One to know the back story on some of the characters.

Yea I finished it this weekend. It was a bit slow but I think it set up the movie well.

Tarkin is much more interesting.
wangus12
AG
I'm still trusting that this film will have little to no connection to the actual saga. I just don't think it would work. We've basically seen a clip in the trailer that looks like Bodhi's last moments. Chirrut seems like a character that would go out with a sacrifice like Kenobi.

Plus in the KoR flashback, I think there were more than just 5 knights.

The Collective
AG
I guess I should have put a spoiler warning on a wild ass fan theory video.
TCTTS
AG
Pure speculation is not a spoiler.
wangus12
AG
But if it comes to pass as so, we find you and put you down like Lor San Tekka
The Collective
AG
wangus12 said:

But if it comes to pass as so, we find you and put you down like Lor San Tekka

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's Star Wars month!!!
The Collective
AG
Time to break this out
twilly
AG
**** DO NOT WATCH IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE ANY OF THE MOVIE ****

Felicity Jones on Jimmy Fallon - cut to 3:08 mark for a 40 second clip from the movie

tk for tu juan
I see the storm troopers got their original aiming ability back
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I was literally going to type the same thing.

Decent little scene, though. Genuinely funny at the end.
wangus12
AG
Damn, they somehow just continue to get worse lol
amercer
AG
Recovering from shoulder surgery this week. Ate a couple Percocets and watched TFA again.

She's a Kenobi for sure.

The Skywalkers were all whiny and awkward. Young Kenobi was a smooth badass. She might as well have told Kylo he was the choosen one after ****ing him up.
Urban Ag
AG
I think "the theory" is clever but not remotely going to happen. This is a stand alone film and it's completely over ambitious to believe that literally years ago, they were arching characters in a conceptual idea for a film to a film in production, or some phase of it. And yes, kids will still want to get the merchandise even if the characters die. And it still all adds to the Star Wars universe. People need to get out of this mindset that every character in the new Star Wars universe has to tie in somewhere else. The stand alone "Star Wars Stories" are just that, stand alone. And they are going to be littered with characters that will not have significance outside the stand alone films.

I do agree with TC that Disney probably chickened out on Rogue One, but I still think that most of the Rogue One's are going to die in the film. Or, at least appear to have been killed but not confirmed. I really think they lightened up the tone with the re-shoots but just don't see a happy ending for the rebels.

Now, that being said, in the original teaser there was a quick scene of a robed character approaching what looked like a bacta tank. I guess if I were to buy in to this theory, which I don't, maybe that is the last scene of the movie and it's Jyn in the tank and Vader is off to side showing Palps his prize. Really doubt it though.
Hagen95
AG
I'm not sure why the emperor or Vader would be so interested in non-Force users to save them for future use.
Urban Ag
AG
Hagen95 said:

I'm not sure why the emperor or Vader would be so interested in non-Force users to save them for future use.
Because the f'ing mouse said you can't kill off cute female characters with British accents without harming the brand.
wangus12
AG
Urban Ag said:

Hagen95 said:

Because the f'ing mouse said you can't kill off cute female characters with British accents without harming the brand.

The hell they can't.

aarjon
That was before the mouse
Jason Ag
AG
DP
First Page Last Page
Page 511 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.