Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,886,481 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rat Race
The Collective
AG
I don't remember reading this outside of this board, props to TCTTS.
jokershady
AG
Not sure if this has been discussed on this thread for those keeping up, but watching ANH this past weekend with my son and noticed something.....

In the room on the Death Star where the classic scene of "I find your lack of faith disturbing" happens, you do see one guy (and only one) wearing an all white imperial uniform sitting at the table.

I didn't get the chance to watch the whole movie after noticing that and couldn't pause it either (was at a hotel), but from what I could see it appeared there to be some form of resemblance to the main baddie in Rogue One....

Could totally be a coincidence as I'm fairly certain the character I'm referring to in ANH has no lines and is not referenced.....

Anyone ever noticed this?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
jokershady said:

Not sure if this has been discussed on this thread for those keeping up, but watching ANH this past weekend with my son and noticed something.....

In the room on the Death Star where the classic scene of "I find your lack of faith disturbing" happens, you do see one guy (and only one) wearing an all white imperial uniform sitting at the table.

I didn't get the chance to watch the whole movie after noticing that and couldn't pause it either (was at a hotel), but from what I could see it appeared there to be some form of resemblance to the main baddie in Rogue One....

Could totally be a coincidence as I'm fairly certain the character I'm referring to in ANH has no lines and is not referenced.....

This dude....

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

From what I can find he was never named or credited in SW:ANH.

But he was later co-opted by the Clone Wars series as a character and given a background.

Quote:

Wullf Yularen first appeared as an unnamed background character in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, played by Robert Clarke, and he was given the name Wullf Yularen by the Star Wars Legends card game Star Wars Customizable Card Game. Yularen would later be adopted by the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series as a recurring character.

Wullf Yularen was an admiral for the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars and later a colonel in the Galactic Empire's Imperial Security Bureau. He was eventually promoted to Deputy Director of the Naval Intelligence Agency. Yularen was one of the officers assigned to the Death Star.

Flashdiaz
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

jokershady said:

This dude....

is that a Yeti cup?
AliasMan02
AG
That is ISB colonel, Wullf Yularen. He was a regular in The Clone Wars, when he was an Admiral in the Republic Navy.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
In "Legends" that is Colonel Wulff Yularen: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wullf_Yularen/Legends

In Canon he is still Colonel Wulff Yularen who was an Admiral for the Republic during the Clone Wars and resigned his rank when the Empire was formed to become a Colonel for the Imperial Security Bureau: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wullf_Yularen

In this role he hunts down Senators dissenting to the formation of the Empire. I believe he shows up in the Clone Wars animated series a few times (Battle for Christophsis)..

Anyways, I don't think it's Mendelsohn's character who is listed as "Director Orson Krennec"; but they are from the same agency. Maybe Wullf takes over for Krennec after he dies in the movie (<-- not a spoiler just a prediction). Afterall it looks like Krennec is hunting down rebels and that is the same role it seemed that Wullf was doing at the formation of the Empire.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Flashdiaz said:

is that a Yeti cup?
Do you know how I know you frequent the OB?
TCTTS
NColoradoAG
Can I get a ticket presale or what?
AliasMan02
AG
Sounds like after the election.
Flashdiaz
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Sounds like after the election.
where's the best movie theater in Canada?
Malachi Constant
AG
jbanda
AG
Awesome.
Duncan Idaho
Blatant Disregard said:

I have been expecting a rip off of the full metal jacket poster since a long long time ago /a certain poster
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Duncan Idaho
I think I will be more upset if this movie doesn't live up to my hopes than I would have been with TFA.

This just has so much potential for awesomeness
Malachi Constant
AG
40 DAYS TILL ROGUE ONE
Zemira
AG
Best news this weekend!
Belton Ag
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I think I will be more upset if this movie doesn't live up to my hopes than I would have been with TFA.

This just has so much potential for awesomeness
I'm actually more stoked for this film than I was for TFA. My expectations were tempered A bit for TFA knowing JJ Abrams was directing.
TCTTS
AG
Was definitely more excited for TFA - more of an irrational, hype-fueled excitement than anything else - but I never had the confidence in it being as good of a movie as this one has the potential to be. Knowing what we knew of the plot for TFA, there were always hits here and there that had me worried a bit. With Rogue One, though, I don't have a single reservation. Maybe that's because I simply don't know as much of the plot in advance as I did TFA, but still, there's not a single shot, sequence, character, or potential plot line teased in the Rogue One Trailers that gives me pause. It just looks like an all-around more mature movie - from the subject matter to the film making - and I've loved absolutely everything I've seen so far.
TCTTS
AG
And I know this is blasphemy - especially coming from me and all the sh*t I talked about the Han Solo movie early on - but I legitimately think I might more excited for that movie now than Episode VIII. As time has passed, I find myself caring less and less what happens to Rey, Kylo, Finn, the Resistance, etc. And with every new bit of news released for Han Solo, it's sounding more and more awesome. Still, when it comes to Episode VIII, I trust Rian Johnson completely, and know he's going to make a movie better than Abrams, but until I see a trailer, it's just hard to muster much excitement for it at this point.
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Was definitely more excited for TFA - more of an irrational, hype-fueled excitement than anything else - but I never had the confidence in it being as good of a movie as this one has the potential to be. Knowing what we knew of the plot for TFA, there were always hits here and there that had me worried a bit. With Rogue One, though, I don't have a single reservation. Maybe that's because I simply don't know as much of the plot in advance as I did TFA, but still, there's not a single shot, sequence, character, or potential plot line teased in the Rogue One Trailers that gives me pause. It just looks like an all-around more mature movie - from the subject matter to the film making - and I've loved absolutely everything I've seen so far.
My excitement for TFA was entirely as a Star Wars nerd getting a new film after 30 (10) years. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece of filmmaking and I didn't get one, but it lived up exactly to my expectations and possibly exceeded them a bit as I enjoyed it immensely.

Echoing what you just said, based on all of the footage I've seen, this movie has the potential to be a great story and a great film. There are so many interesting directions to go and I have faith in the cast and filmmakers. It has the potential to be great.

(Edit: clarifying the 30 years comment. Obviously I wasn't counting the sequels.)
Ag Since 83
AG
I think you guys might be suffering from some recency bias. We were all counting down the seconds 12 months ago
Mr. White
Ag Since 83 said:

I think you guys might be suffering from some recency bias. We were all counting down the seconds 12 months ago

Yeah, but after we had a chance to digest it, we knew we had been slightly ripped off. Ever so slightly.
Ag Since 83
AG
That has nothing to do with the fact that was the most anticipated movie since 1999
jabberwalkie09
AG
Mr. White said:

Ag Since 83 said:

Yeah, but after we had a chance to digest it, we knew we had been slightly ripped off. Ever so slightly.

Tough to feel ripped off after TFA given how I felt after TPM.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

a Star Wars nerd getting a new film after 30 years
So you skipped 1999 through 2005?

To quote C-3P0 from Jedi, "here we go again"
Belton Ag
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

Yes, I clarified that in a later edit.

I will say this: I was as excited for TFA as I was for TPM in 1999.
Duncan Idaho
Belton Ag said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

Yes, I clarified that in a later edit.

I will say this: I was as excited for TFA as I was for TPM in 1999.

I was actually more excited about TFA than I was about tpm. Tpm came out when I wasn't old enough or young enough to be as nostalgic as I am now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
+1

However, my hype was crazy high for ROTS. Still, I'd probably place TFA ever so slightly higher on the hype scale.
The Collective
AG
My hype for TFA was insane. Doubt I will anticipate another film as much as I did that one.
TCTTS
AG
I'd say these are my top ten most anticipated blockbusters ever (at least until negative reviews hit the week of in some cases)...

01. The Phantom Menace
02. The Force Awakens
03. The Dark Knight
04. Interstellar
05. Man of Steel
06. The Matrix Reloaded
07. Jurassic Park
08. Inception
09. The Dark Knight Rises
10. Batman ('89)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How old were you in 89?
First Page Last Page
Page 496 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.