Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,886,710 Views | 43963 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by maroon barchetta
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

That clip does have quite a menacing feel to it. I expect that the guy in white is in for a really bad moment or two here.
yeah Vader walking fast towards you isn't going to be good.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

CJS4715 said:

Quote:

I guess there are still no aliens.... no other species really cares about subverting the empire or freedom.

Are you just lamenting over the fact that they aren't featured on the poster?
I guess the Bothans, Wookies, Mon Calamari, and Sullustans don't count in Spreedsheet's opinion unless that is the case.
No, what I am saying is that this movie looks like it's all human vs human... where are the other species that have been hurt by the empire and are joining the cause? They don't appear to be in this film - apart from what I saw was a Quarren in the jail cell with Jyn Orsa - and maybe a few outlaws on a desert planet.

None of the trailers have shown much in the way of having a diverse xeno-list of characters contributing to the rebel cause; which is a bit sad from my perspective. It was always a large group of unified beings rising up against the Empire - which consisted of mostly humans and few outliers of aliens (Chiss which may not be canon; etc.)...

It just seems out of place that it's all humans vs humans (seemingly) in this movie - and it doesn't fit the Star Wars / Rebellion mold.
redline248
AG
One of the key members of Rogue One is an alien, he just hasn't been featured in the previews.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
In order in the trailer:

Quarren (not doing much; just sleeping in a jail cell)

I saw a Mon Cal in the briefing room...

Some kind of outlaws / don't know if rebels or 3rd party criminals:

I guess my hang up is... that's it? Just kind of disappointed I suppose.
Hagen95
AG
Disney is just hiding the big General Binks reveal.
Flashdiaz
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

CJS4715 said:

Quote:

I guess there are still no aliens.... no other species really cares about subverting the empire or freedom.

I guess the Bothans, Wookies, Mon Calamari, and Sullustans don't count in Spreedsheet's opinion unless that is the case.
No, what I am saying is that this movie looks like it's all human vs human... where are the other species that have been hurt by the empire and are joining the cause? They don't appear to be in this film - apart from what I saw was a Quarren in the jail cell with Jyn Orsa - and maybe a few outlaws on a desert planet.

None of the trailers have shown much in the way of having a diverse xeno-list of characters contributing to the rebel cause; which is a bit sad from my perspective. It was always a large group of unified beings rising up against the Empire - which consisted of mostly humans and few outliers of aliens (Chiss which may not be canon; etc.)...

It just seems out of place that it's all humans vs humans (seemingly) in this movie - and it doesn't fit the Star Wars / Rebellion mold.
this movie leads up to a New Hope. The original star wars didn't have much aliens on either side.
it would be odd to have a bunch of aliens for the rebels in this movie and then poof, they're all gone when we next see the rebel alliance in the attack on the deathstar.

They're already going to have to explain what happened to the 'non-white male' rebels in this movie
jabberwalkie09
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

CJS4715 said:

Quote:

I knew what you meant, but you apparently haven't been following it as closely as some of us have. These guys are in R1, and will likely be working with Jyn.

And that's just a couple. Chiss is very much canon now thanks to Thrawn being introduced in Rebels. (I still think there is a chance that Benicio del Toro's character will be Thrawn in VIII.) I wouldn't be surprised if we see some Rodians in the background, maybe even Twileks.

However, it's likely like that for a couple of reasons. If Cham's cell is anything to go by in Rebels, rebels generally fight with their own species. Also, humans seem to be exceedingly common in the SWU which may account for the ratio we see.

A practical aspect is the cost of having prosthetic make up for various actors and the time required. Plus, Kathleen Kenedy and Bob Iger probably would like to cash in on younger generations identifying with characters so that they buy toys and other merchandise.
Ag Since 83
AG
The history of widespread alien characters in SWU:

Cartoonish CGI
Racist stereotypes
Having to digitally raise Harrison Ford in the frame because he stepped on Jabba's tail
An episode of the Clone Wars where Jar Jar saves the day because the Neimodeans mistake him for a Jedi

Yeah, no thanks. Just give me selective awesome practical effects aliens like Cherie and puppet Yoda
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

The history of widespread alien characters in SWU:

Cartoonish CGI
Racist stereotypes
Having to digitally raise Harrison Ford in the frame because he stepped on Jabba's tail
An episode of the Clone Wars where Jar Jar saves the day because the Neimodeans mistake him for a Jedi

Yeah, no thanks. Just give me selective awesome practical effects aliens like Cherie and puppet Yoda
I don't disagree... I think Jabberwalkie ha assuaged my concerns in his post above.

I definitely agree on more Chewbaccas, Yodas, Admiral Ackbars, OT Jabba, and Plo'koon type characters...

No more (or way less): Jar Jar, Prequal Jabba, Neimoideans, Kaminoans, ..., heck even Maz Kanata and Rathtars...
Engine10
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Solid trailer, but the last one was a little more momentous.

The element that really sold the danger and darkness of the last trailer was the music. Desplat was still the composer for the soundtrack then, but has since been replaced by Giacchino. I wonder if that explains the general lack of the same blended themes that resonated through the teaser trailer and the #1 official trailer.
wangus12
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Sometimes I wish aliens, for lack of a better term, were more like the various species in Mass Effect, where there are a few species outside of humans that are also strong.

Sometimes.
I'd be down for a Mass Effect movie
MGS
jabberwalkie09 said:

This needs a caption.

"You've failed me for the last time, Administrator."
"I'm here to put you back on schedule"
AliasMan02
AG
They keep promising us one.
jabberwalkie09
AG
MGS said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

This needs a caption.

"You've failed me for the last time, Administrator."
"I'm here to put you back on schedule"
"Yes Lord Vader, we will make the deadline."
"Good, because the Emperor is not as forgiving as I."
wangus12
AG
So say there are 10 rebels in this little squad. How many do we expect to die?

+/- 7
jabberwalkie09
AG
I'm thinking two of the main group will make it to the end alive. Though, I can also see an ending where they all die by the end.

They already let it slip that Chirriut Imwe who is played by Donnie Yen doesn't make it thanks to Jiang Wen spoiling that at Celebration.
Engine10
AG
I'll take the over
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Over
The Collective
AG
Jyn has to birth Rey's mom before she passes.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Something to ponder since this looks like a sizable force.

We know that in IV that Tarkin mentions that the rebel fleet is amassing around Sullust. What if that fleet here in R1 is that fleet that was at Sullust? And a question for the comic readers, was that fleet at Sullust the one commanded by Ackbar?
AliasMan02
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Something to ponder since this looks like a sizable force.

We know that in IV that Tarkin mentions that the rebel fleet is amassing around Sullust. What if that fleet here in R1 is that fleet that was at Sullust? And a question for the comic readers, was that fleet at Sullust the one commanded by Ackbar?

The fleet at Sullest was in Jedi.
TCTTS
AG
I have absolutely loved each of the three trailers. Visually, this looks like the Star Wars movie I've always wanted and I legitimately have zero complaints in regards to what we've seen so far of the story, characters, etc. Bottom line, I really do think this movie is going to be amazing.

That said - and I've no doubt harped on this a lot before - but now that the trailers have finally reached their culmination, the overall marketing approach in general seems like a huge swing and a miss to me. Again, each trailer in and of itself is awesome. Phenomenal music, stunning visuals, great hooks, etc., but they've failed on a core level to even come close to putting this movie in context. There's been almost no effort to brand it as a non-saga film and they're relying solely on fanboys to gather that this takes place just before A New Hope.

The Death Star is no doubt one of the most iconic bad guy bases in all of cinema, but when there are TWO of them in the original trilogy, plans shown for one in the prequels, and a pimped-out version showcased last year in TFA, I'm sorry, but people like my parents just aren't able to put the pieces together that this is the one from A New Hope. Before today, I had seen so many reports of general movie goers who thought this was Episode VIII, that Vader was back from the dead, etc. And I thought for sure they'd do something different with this final trailer and really sell the concept contextually - that this is a direct prequel to one of the most famous sci-fi / fantasy movies of all time. Maybe Disney/Lucasfilm really is that scared of the soured prequel concept in general. Regardless, they're vastly overestimating the general audience's ability to piece together the very few context clues so far. How they didn't utilize footage from A New Hope to better set up the concept, ala the teaser trailer for Revenge of the Sith, is beyond me...

Heck, at Celebration this year they did just that by showing the opening crawl to A New Hope, only to have the feed "interrupted" at the point where it mentioned the plans being stolen. Imagine if that had opened the first trailer and how cool something like that could have been. It just blows my mind that they haven't done something like that yet to really signal what this movie is and how it not only fits into the canon, but establish the new release pattern as well.

Not to mention, the Vader reveals have felt a little off as well. I don't want to see much more of him in the trailers than we already have, but they're being so insanely casual about him that it only adds to the confusion. On the plus side at least, Ben Mendelsohn is coming across as a classic Star Wars/Empire villain in the best way. Love everything I've seen about him so far.

Anyway, again, in a vacuum, the trailer itself today is great. I'm all in. This movie literally looks perfect to me. It just kind of sucks that the overall concept hasn't been framed better.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Well damn... I got all caught up in the excitement.
The Collective
AG
MiniShrike said:

Three thumbs up.

Underrated (if I am interpreting this correctly).
Chipotlemonger
AG
I agree with a lot of your post. I feel like at release, the morning/night talk shows may quickly change some of this current confusion for audiences.

The Collective
AG
Agree, TCTTS. I almost wonder if the lack of clarity is intentional at this point, and they believe the confusion will carry it to a larger debut than it would get on its own merit.
boogieman
AG
I think the opening crawl will sort things out.
AliasMan02
AG
Merch is really our there more and more for RO. Saw a bunch of toys at B&N last night.
3rdGen2015
AG
CJS4715 said:

Agree, TCTTS. I almost wonder if the lack of clarity is intentional at this point, and they believe the confusion will carry it to a larger debut than it would get on its own merit.
I'm getting the same feeling. Now I know we've discussed this quite a bit in the past, but I wonder if the crawl will clear things up or if they will just go into the movie without a crawl and have somebody (probably Jyn) narrate a beginning montage of the Empire taking over the galaxy.
TCTTS
AG
There will be no traditional crawl. I can 100% confirm that. Sure, there might be some kind of text/explanation, but not what we're used to. Besides, the point is to get people IN the theater. Making it clear to them once they're already there is a given. Not worried about that at all.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

<snip>

Before today, I had seen so many reports of general movie goers who thought this was Episode VIII, that Vader was back from the dead, etc.

<snip>

Heck, at Celebration this year they did just that by showing the opening crawl to A New Hope, only to have the feed "interrupted" at the point where it mentioned the plans being stolen. Imagine if that had opened the first trailer and how cool something like that could have been. It just blows my mind that they haven't done something like that yet to really signal what this movie is and how it not only fits into the canon, but establish the new release pattern as well.

Not to mention, the Vader reveals have felt a little off as well. I don't want to see much more of him in the trailers than we already have, but they're being so insanely casual about him that it only adds to the confusion. On the plus side at least, Ben Mendelsohn is coming across as a classic Star Wars/Empire villain in the best way. Love everything I've seen about him so far.
I can think of exactly one example where a character was brought back from the dead in the franchise, and I'm not sure we can take that story completely literally since it happened during the Mortis arc in TCW. I don't know if I can blame the marketing department on the people's confusion, rather I'd blame it on the people themselves being confused over the events in the SWU at large. I don't know how Vader would come back from the dead when Luke burned his body in true Jedi funeral tradition (TPM and TCW) in ROTJ.

Sure it would have been cool, but for an official trailer that would be pretty inconsistent with other trailers for the franchise. At least for the movies. I'd imagine that there would be some backlash if they did the interruption just out of the blue in a trailer. Really, the leaked trailer is the best (as I have said) from the 2015 Celebration which had Kenobi's line from Star Wars about The Dark Times.

You're right that Vader is being used sparingly here in the trailers. I wouldn't be surprised if we have seen most of his footage here in the trailers and that what is left is really him in action during the film itself. To a certain extent, Krennic is coming off to me as Tarkin-lite which I think is wholly intentional and not at all a bad thing IMO.
TCTTS
AG
But that's my point. Half of the general audience doesn't even remember that Luke burned Vader's body. My parents or sisters sure as hell don't, nor do so many others. And sure, that's on the audience, but it's literally the marketing team's job to make up for those deficiencies. Not Vader's death, in particular, but if this movie was better placed in context, you wouldn't have to remind anyone that he died in the first place.

And I'm not saying use the crawl interruption thing specifically. It would have been cool, IMO, but something like what the Revenge of the Sith trailer did would have done the trick just as well, and that IS in line with at least one other trailer from the franchise, obviously.

Overall, it's not that big of deal in the grand scheme of things. If it's good, everyone and their dog will obviously eventually see it, and get it. At this point, I'm just scratching my head a bit, that's all.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

But that's my point. Half of the general audience doesn't even remember that Luke burned Vader's body. My parents or sisters sure as hell don't, nor do so many others. And sure, that's on the audience, but it's literally the marketing team's job to make up for those deficiencies. Not Vader's death, in particular, but if this movie was better placed in context, you wouldn't have to remind anyone that he died in the first place.

And I'm not saying use the crawl interruption thing specifically. It would have been cool, IMO, but something like what the Revenge of the Sith trailer did would have done the trick just as well, and that IS in line with at least one other trailer from the franchise, obviously.

Overall, it's not that big of deal in the grand scheme of things. If it's good, everyone and their dog will obviously eventually see it, and get it. At this point, I'm just scratching my head a bit, that's all.
I understand what you're saying, but there are just so many things that don't add up for this to be considered as VIII. There is no Luke, Leia, Chewie, Finn, Rey, or Poe in this. No one from TFA is in this as far as we have been told, best of my knowledge. If there is any confusion as to the context, it should be as to whether this is occurring during the OT or sometime closer to the events after ROTS and not immediately before IV. Even in TFA we saw Vader's charred, melted helmet.

So again, if someone is even remotely knowledgeable of the franchise I'm not sure how there is a whole lot of confusion as to R1 being definitively before the ST. This kind of feels like a complaint that someone who just jumped on the bandwagon would have. Even then, it feels like those people should have a better concept of the story as both the PT and OT are readily available for viewing. All you would have had to see if ROTJ really.
boogieman
AG

So cool
TCTTS
AG
But there's a decent chunk of the audience who don't watch movies like you or I do. My parents go to the theater at least twice a month. They see just about everything that's getting good reviews, and I'd consider them just above average movie goers. But if I showed someone like my dad a picture of Poe right now, I guarantee you he would have no recollection of who that guy was in TFA. For them - and millions of other people - even a Star Wars movie is just something to do for two hours and a month later they've long since moved on with their lives and forgotten most of it. I'm not arguing an arbitrary point. There are tons of reports of audience members watching the first Rogue One trailer and thinking that the main character was Rey. You're giving general audience members way more credit than they deserve when it comes to them even being able to identify someone like Finn, Rey, Poe, etc., and it's those people I'm talking about.
First Page Last Page
Page 487 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.