Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,925 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
Malachi Constant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seven edits later and I can't get the picture to work.
Ulrich
I watched Independence Day (1996) this morning. The CGI and effects from that hold up 100x better than the prequels.
Farmer1906
AG
JP from '93 isn't terrible either.
JCRiley09
AG
Lots of practical effects in both. Actors in raptor suits and blowing up miniatures
Hagen95
AG
ESB is on now. Who does this during game time?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed, but what decent human being doesn't own ESB?
Mr. White
quote:
I watched Independence Day (1996) this morning. The CGI and effects from that hold up 100x better than the prequels.

Yep. Attack of the Clones looks like a cd-rom game.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Incredible really. I hadn't seen them in years. And i would have defended 2 and 3. But yeah they look bad now too besides other distractions.

Philip J Fry
AG
quote:

Practical effects tend to hold up.
boogieman
AG
After making it to season 5 of The Clone Wars, I've come to think of the prequel movies as just setup for the Clone Wars series.

The movies look like a bad "live action"adaptation of the cartoon series.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
After making it to season 5 of The Clone Wars, I've come to think of the prequel movies as just setup for the Clone Wars series.

The movies look like a bad "live action"adaptation of the cartoon series.
double aught
AG
AOTC is terrible. I'm not sure why people rank it above Phantom Menace. TPM at least has Darth Maul and a less convoluted plot. There's even a real Yoda in it!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
AOTC is terrible. I'm not sure why people rank it above Phantom Menace. TPM at least has Darth Maul and a less convoluted plot. There's even a real Yoda in it!

JAR JAR
kid actor is terrible
midi chlorians talk
horrible long distance battle shots of droid armiesstarted a weird age difference love story that was unnecessary...and creepy
a virgin birth
blatant racism - jar jar, asian accents, jewish watto
politics/trade federation/blah blah blah
stupid underwater scenes - being chased by big fish who eat metal ships and each other....but don't eat the gungans or their city
did i mention JAR JAR....he is wayyy too prevalent which was fixed in 2 and 3...not only that he commands a military unit

MGS
quote:

Actually, Lucas went back and made Yoda CGI for the blu-ray release.
Malachi Constant
AG
So I'm watching RotS. The scene just came on where Padme and Obi-wan confront Anakin on Mustafar. It's not a bad scene, but there should be so much more emotion than there is.

The other day I watched the Breaking Bad episode Ozymandias. The scene where Walter comes home and scuffles with his family and crescendos with him screaming "we're a family!" and realizes how stupid that was is probably the most gut-wrenching scene I've ever seen.

The good news is that Ozymandias was directed by Rian Johnson.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
. a weird age difference love story that was unnecessary..

Don't forget she had 2 kids
AliasMan02
AG
Of course he did.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Yoda puppet in TPM was actually pretty terrible. The change was an improvement.
double aught
AG
quote:
quote:

JAR JAR
kid actor is terrible
midi chlorians talk
horrible long distance battle shots of droid armiesstarted a weird age difference love story that was unnecessary...and creepy
a virgin birth
stupid underwater scenes - being chased by big fish who eat metal ships and each other....but don't eat the gungans or their city
did i mention JAR JAR....he is wayyy too prevalent which was fixed in 2 and 3...not only that he commands a military unit

Well, I never claimed that it wasn't crap. It's just a lesser degree of crap than AOTC. I could make a similar list for it. Just look at the last few pages. So between two junk movies, only one has Darth Maul.
Mr. White
quote:
quote:

JAR JAR
kid actor is terrible
midi chlorians talk
a virgin birth

Blatant racism???
TCTTS
AG
At gunpoint, if I had to watch one of the prequels again, it would be The Phantom Menace hands down.
The Collective
AG
wangus12
AG
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
At gunpoint, if I had to watch one of the prequels again, it would be The Phantom Menace hands down.

good luck...i tried that last week...if i had a gun to my head i still might have changed channels as i did several times. i did not make it through. I made it a lot longer through AotC.
Duncan Idaho
I do wonder what the story would have been if lucas had made the prequels in 1984 and been limited to the FX of the time.

That would probably mean no pod racing, no gungans, limited battle droids, no grievous, all of the pointless green screen chases would be gone.
The Collective
AG
So, when you watched TPM for the first time, when did you first have that "oh ****, this is not what I was expecting" moment?

And... IBT the opening crawl.
Duncan Idaho
While I was sitting in the theater, It was more along the lines of "any moment now, this will get interesting and really pull me in" vs "holy crap this movies suckes"

I just kept waiting for it to get good. It wasn't until after it had time to sink in that I realized how terrible it was.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
So, when you watched TPM for the first time, when did you first have that "oh ****, this is not what I was expecting" moment?

when the trade federation started with their Asian accents.
MGS
quote:

Oh come on, who didn't have a WTF moment when they saw the word "taxation" in the opening crawl?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't know about a WTF moment, but Maul igniting his lightsaber got me amped af.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:

when the trade federation started with their Asian accents.

There had been enough rumbling about the racist accents before it came out that the reaction was more of a "uh. They were right, that does sound kinda racist" than "wtf? Who thought that was appropriate?"
redline248
AG
When you are building a galaxy with a bunch of diverse species, using accents is an easy way to do it. The other option is indecipherable jibberish, which was used in AOTC...the techno guy, the Geonosians, etc.
Ag Since 83
AG
I don't know if it was a single WTF moment but I remember that when the pod race was happening it was the first thing that was remotely entertaining. In hindsight it's bad but everything before it was so terrible
Farmer1906
AG
I could watch and mildly enjoy all the pre trilogy. I know they're not great, but it is still Star Wars and I grew up watching them.
Malachi Constant
AG
The point where TPM got really stupid for 16-year-old me in 1999 was when they got in the submersible and "There's always a bigger fish."

So effing stupid.
First Page Last Page
Page 480 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.