Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,249 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I think if your standard for Star Wars films is to feel like you did when you were a kid, you are setting yourself up for some serious disappointment.
and you are 100% correct. I posted the same thought about nine months ago. Many of us allowed TFA to relive our childhood only to discover that isn't possible.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I think if your standard for Star Wars films is to feel like you did when you were a kid, you are setting yourself up for some serious disappointment.

yeah...i based it more on my kids and younger relatives kids reaction to Star Wars TFA...and it was pretty similar. Not quite up there but pretty close.

Of course they knew SW universe and Luke, Leia, Han, Chewy, R2D2 etc going in....but they immediately had the same connection to Rey, BB8 and even Finn, Po and somewhat Kylo as a villain.
AliasMan02
AG
For all the criticism of the film, which is deserved in many cases, I continue to say the following:

TFA isn't the exact movie I, as a fan, would have made. But it was exactly the movie it had to be to restore faith in the franchise and being the masses back into the fold. If the prequels had been good and not destroyed almost all good faith, TFA would be a different film.

The clear, #1 priority for TFA was to get the public emotionally invested in the franchise again, and it hit that out of the park. If doing that meant some hand waving and some "too easy" story elements, that is a good trade.

Going forward, the creators will have more freedom to do what we want them to do. Stories can be tighter and more character driven. We'll see more "new" in Star Wars beyond creature effects. I have total faith, based on what we've seen so far.
gravy97
AG
quote:
Unless you can check your adult brain at the door... and enjoy it like a kid. Its STAR WARS... there are light sabers and the force and jedi... good guys win! we celebrate! Thats what I seem to be able to do with star wars and super hero movies, etc , and I really can just enjoy these movies without worrying that it didn't make sense... without wondering where did this girl learn to fly... heck, where did she learn to walk, or trade scraps for food.... she just did at some point... its ok that we don't see her entire maturation. Fill in the gaps with your imagination... like a kid!

From reading this thread...I am not sure any of the movies are actually good... maybe Empire is the only one....
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
Unless you can check your adult brain at the door... and enjoy it like a kid. Its STAR WARS... there are light sabers and the force and jedi... good guys win! we celebrate! Thats what I seem to be able to do with star wars and super hero movies, etc , and I really can just enjoy these movies without worrying that it didn't make sense... without wondering where did this girl learn to fly... heck, where did she learn to walk, or trade scraps for food.... she just did at some point... its ok that we don't see her entire maturation. Fill in the gaps with your imagination... like a kid!

From reading this thread...I am not sure any of the movies are actually good... maybe Empire is the only one....
I have applied approach to all of the movies in this franchise, which explains why I just don't give a crap about the criticisms, however valid those may be, of the prequels. Those were Star Wars movies also, and for me that was enough.

There are things that I would change about all 7 movies, well, maybe nothing in The Empire Strikes Back, my all-time favorite movie, but I enjoy these movies as they are. I don't need an explanation on how Rey learned to fly. I did not need an explanation for the Force in The Phantom Menace; the midichlorians thing is certainly a valid point to blast that movie, but I just accepted the idiocy of that and moved right on to enjoying the hell out of the lightsabre duels and the big space battle at the end.
AliasMan02
AG
Midi-chlorians is a great example of over-explaining, come to think of it.
Saul Goodman
AG
quote:
For all the criticism of the film, which is deserved in many cases, I continue to say the following:

TFA isn't the exact movie I, as a fan, would have made. But it was exactly the movie it had to be to restore faith in the franchise and being the masses back into the fold. If the prequels had been good and not destroyed almost all good faith, TFA would be a different film.

The clear, #1 priority for TFA was to get the public emotionally invested in the franchise again, and it hit that out of the park. If doing that meant some hand waving and some "too easy" story elements, that is a good trade.

Going forward, the creators will have more freedom to do what we want them to do. Stories can be tighter and more character driven. We'll see more "new" in Star Wars beyond creature effects. I have total faith, based on what we've seen so far.

Well said.
tamusc
AG
jbanda
AG
If anyone needed a reminder how awful the phantom menace was, it's on TNT right now.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
If anyone needed a reminder how awful the phantom menace was, it's on TNT right now.

I've been watching. Or I should say trying to watch.

I'm sorry I'm a huge SW fan but.....especially now with TFA to compare. Phantom menace is horrible. Godawful. I mean just bad. Ugh.

Doesn't help that I just watched the entire jar jar primary section from his intro through getting to Tatooine.

Now I'm rewarded with less jar jar and instead I get the bad child actor, midi chlorian talk, a virgin birth and a complete lack of any character development.
gougler08
AG
God I had forgotten just how truly bad some parts of this movie are
Saul Goodman
AG
I subjected myself to watching Episode 1 over the weekend since it had been so long since I had last seen it. Mother. Of. God. It was so much worse than I remembered.

Episode 2 isn't great and has some horrible moments (sand!), but I can sit through that movie and not feel like my brain is going to fall out of my head. I don't think it can be understated how much of an abomination Episode 1 is.

I know this discussion has already been had, but I would totally be down for a complete re-do of the Darth Vader/Anakin story at some point. As a kid, before the prequels, the background of Darth Vader was always what intrigued me the most from the OT.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/star-wars-rogue-one-vs-force-awakens-bob-iger-1201866852/
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/star-wars-rogue-one-vs-force-awakens-bob-iger-1201866852/

I'd file that under "duh..." but it's good that they are managing expectations.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
God I had forgotten just how truly bad some parts of this movie are

I literally could not make it through the movie....I kept flipping to Stand By Me on AMC...and by the time of the pod race I was out completely.

I'm telling you.....that movie should be skipped in the viewing of the saga - for newbies or for fans.

4, 5, 2, 3, 6, 7

That gets you such an emotional and impactful order....Ep. 1 loses all kinds of steam and introduces so many problems and distractions. Without it you lose almost nothing.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

I'd file that under "duh..." but it's good that they are managing expectations.

Honestly if it does HALF of what TFA did it should be considered a HUGE success.

That would be $1 BILLION dollars worldwide and $468 million US. TFA should not be the benchmark for that movie. It's a spinoff more or less.

The international box office will be interesting. It was said TFA did not have the international numbers it might have because the original trilogy did not have a wide international distribution in the 70s and 80s and it did not have as much built in audience. But now with TFA the SW universe is more well known internationally. But since it's not a sequel and not even a proper sequel or prequel of the original or the prequel trilogy...well it's still an unknown I think. For that reason I would temper enthusiasm.

MGS
I still have no idea what was the purpose of Maul's mission.
The Collective
AG
quote:

To capture the queen and take her back to Naboo to sign the treaty, right? But then she goes back on her own with Palpatine trying to stop her, so I don't ****ing know...
Duncan Idaho
quote:

He was actually a good guy and was trying to protect a little kid (anakin) from a sexual predator that was trying to trap him in a child sex ring (padme)
TCTTS
AG
Libel!
tk for tu juan
quote:

To look like a complete badass and sell many Halloween costumes
MGS
quote:
quote:

He was actually a good guy and was trying to protect a little kid (anakin) from a sexual predator that was trying to trap him in a child sex ring (padme)
There's some crazy **** going on in the Legislative Youth Program.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:
quote:

There's some crazy **** going on in the Legislative Youth Program.

It was modeled after the UK Parliament
The Collective
AG
Can't sleep and just discovered AOTC is on... hope it helps me get some rest.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Any of the Anakin Padme scenes should put you right on out.
redline248
AG
quote:
Any of the Anakin Padme scenes should put you right on out.

Excuse me senator, but I'm in charge of security!

Oh Ani, you'll always be that little boy I knew on Tatooine.

I know those aren't the same scene, and I probably got the quote wrong a little.
redline248
AG
How do you think Yoda or Obi-wan never found out about Anakin murdering a village full of sand people?
The Collective
AG
Ani concealed it from them. He was able to do this with his high Midicholorians count.
Ag Since 83
AG
Doesn't Yoda sense that Anakin is in a tremendous amount of pain or something? Or am I blissfully not remembering.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Make a motion in the Senate where that kind of a request belongs!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You know, I never realized this, but it makes total sense that Anakin hates sand, which in turn makes him hate sand people.

Poetry
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
You know, I never realized this, but it makes total sense that Anakin hates sand, which in turn makes him hate sand people.

Poetry
I always thought that sand conversation was put in just to explain why Vader didn't go down to Tattoine (?sp) to look for the droids himself in a New Hope.
The Collective
AG
With AOTC on the mind, I am choosing this as the video for this week. This is probably the best acting in the prequels.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Probably the end of the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel for me.

Say what you will about Hayden's acting in the rest of the films, but both him and Ewan are fantastic in that scene. And that Williams score...

First Page Last Page
Page 478 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.