Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,135 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ha, seriously. It's shocking that even journalists/bloggers need to be educated that EVERY big movie has reshoots built in from day one. They're not a bad thing. There's just no way to know what you don't have - or need a different take of - until after you have a rough cut assembled. Save for the huge clusters****s, most reshoots are purely cosmetic.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Ha, seriously. It's shocking that even journalists/bloggers need to be educated that EVERY big movie has reshoots built in from day one. They're not a bad thing. There's just no way to know what you don't have - or need a different take of - until after you have a rough cut assembled. Save for the huge clusters****s, most reshoots are purely cosmetic.

The 40% reshoot rumor on R1 was obviously pure garbage. But, there had to have been some truth to the negative reports given that Edwards was assigned some help. Still, I expect there will be no rational thinking when it comes to public perception of reshoots with Episode VIII, especially if R1 is a letdown.
wangus12
AG
Make him grow a beard and a man bun. *****es love hipster nerds these days
Tanya 93
quote:
Yeah, no.

I don't care about him having long hair.

Man buns are stupid though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
First day of school. Yeah, this is choice. Talking talking lunch box and an R2D2 water bottle. And the backpack is a talking BB8

He is never gonna have a girlfriend right?

wangus12
AG
quote:
quote:
Yeah, no.

I don't care about him having long hair.

Man buns are stupid though.
Good to know you'll be a good parent.
Simplebay
AG
TC you have to admit that Tony Gilroy (a great writer, terrible director) being added on the latest billing, smells like a wee little something was up.

and....remember Quicksilver's character in godzilla? and killing off literally the best of the movie?

so, i think there's a little weight. but, not as much as DC (dumpster cnt) bad.
TCTTS
AG
I was referring to Episode VIII. I didn't say a word about the Rogue One reshoots, which I agree with you on.
The Collective
AG
As a mini-countdown to the Rogue One theatrical release, I'm going to post a Star Wars moment every Thursday. I will start with my favorite Star Wars moment instead of doing the whole countdown thing. My family's Star Wars VHS screwed up on this particular scene, because it was rewound and rewatched so often by my older brothers and myself.

Headphones on - sound up - John F'ing Williams.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Interesting that you'd choose that moment over Binary Sunset.

Speaking of countdowns, where is MuckRacker? He kind of dropped off the face of the Earth sometime after TFA.

119 days till Rogue One...
The Collective
AG
The visual isn't as good as binary sunset (dual sunset vs. family bbq), but I believe there is more emotion in this scene. I was really glad that they used this particular callback in TFA woods scene. It seemed to match the emotion of this scene in Star Wars (confusion, anger, adrenaline, identification of purpose / mission, etc).

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
The visual isn't as good as binary sunset (dual sunset vs. family bbq), but I believe there is more emotion in this scene. I was really glad that they used this particular callback in TFA woods scene. It seemed to match the emotion of this scene in Star Wars (confusion, anger, adrenaline, identification of purpose / mission, etc).

I agree with that last statement.

Until it is confirmed one way or the other, I am going with my thought that this particular musical cue is what ties Rey to Luke, ie, she is his daughter. John Williams has always told a story with his music; it is not simply background music, and I think that is a big reason that his scores have resonated so well with audiences and fans of movie scores. Now I know that it could be something else entirely, but that scene on Tatooine was a coming of age scene where Luke realized his future was to become a Jedi. I think that also applies to the forest scene with Rey, which I rated as the best scene in that entire movie, higher even that Han and Chewie's first entrance into the Falcon.
AliasMan02
AG
TFA starts on Starz pretty soon, so lots of ads for it. I've heard Han's "it's true" speech literally 100 times, but it literally gives me chills every single time. It moves me unlike any other scene in movie history.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Totally agree with the Luke/Rey cues. None of it is an accident.

That said, that Rey/Palpatine video posted a few weeks ago makes some really interesting points. At this point, it seems almost certain she is either Luke's daughter, or a relative of Palps. (Granddaughter, niece, or god forbid, clone.)
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Totally agree with the Luke/Rey cues. None of it is an accident.

That said, that Rey/Palpatine video posted a few weeks ago makes some really interesting points. At this point, it seems almost certain she is either Luke's daughter, or a relative of Palps. (Granddaughter, niece, or god forbid, clone.)

Given what we know about Jakku being somehow special to Palpatine, I don't think we can rule out that Rey is a clone of either Palps or Luke, or a clone of some more ancient Sith that Palps was obsessed with. We also know that both in canon and the EU, Palpatine has a history of leaning on clones in his plans.

Palpatine could have cloned Luke using his severed hand as material. There is precedent for that in the EU.
The Collective
AG
To me, that explanation seems a bit too out there for one of the films. I wouldn't be shocked to have a story arc like that in an animated show like Rebels, but in one of the episodic films? I would be very surprised.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
To me, that explanation seems a bit too out there for one of the films. I wouldn't be shocked to have a story arc like that in an animated show like Rebels, but in one of the episodic films? I would be very surprised.

I agree. Just saying that, especially not yet knowing what the deal with Jakku is, there is a lot still in play.
Flashdiaz
AG
what kind of bothers me about Rey's parents, whoever they are, is that they left her in the care of Junkyard dealer Unkar Plott, who's kind of an a-hole and not exactly a good guardian.

Compare that to Luke who was given to a loving uncle and aunt with old Ben watching over near by.
Leia was given to high public figures that are well to do.

If Luke is the father, I would have thought he could pick someone better? Sure the argument can be made that he wants her super well hidden, but still, Unkar?
gougler08
AG
quote:
TFA starts on Starz pretty soon, so lots of ads for it. I've heard Han's "it's true" speech literally 100 times, but it literally gives me chills every single time. It moves me unlike any other scene in movie history.
I had missed that, will have to set the DVR to record
AliasMan02
AG
I think we all echo that thought. It is one of the biggest holes in pretty much any theory about Rey's parentage.
The Collective
AG
And he ended up with the falcon... randomly. WTF.
redline248
AG
Y'all realize that clone means identical genetic copy. Rey cannot be a clone of Palpatine our Luke.
TXAG 05
AG
Max Von Sydow may have been placed there to keep an eye on her in secret like Obi Wan with Luke
redline248
AG
Maybe Jakku has some force significance. I don't think the old man was there keeping tabs on Rey, but it is a suspicious coincidence. Why was he there? Why was Palpatine interested in that planet (btw, where does that come from)?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Don't care as log as it doesn't turn out be as ******ed as Midichlorians
Jason Ag
AG
quote:
where is MuckRacker? He kind of dropped off the face of the Earth sometime after TFA

He was recently sending emails about his FF league, so he is still alive.
AliasMan02
AG
Sitting here at work, as usual, thinking about Star Wars. Some questions/speculation about the Han Solo film...

Will we see Han at the Imperial Academy? That tidbit of his life is no longer canon as far as I can tell, but it's a narrative that goes WAY back. It would also be a very interesting start to the film. Unexpected in a story that we'll have a lot of points with known outcomes. Cold opening on Han falling asleep at his desk during a lecture sounds like something Lord and Miller would do.

With casting rumors about Lando, I think everyone assumes the story will revolve around Han winning the Falcon, but there is another important event that brings those two characters together: the undefined falling out between Han and Lando. I think that is actually the richer story because we don't know how it happens, where we know the basic events of the fateful Sabaac game.

What is the timeline on acquiring the Falcon and Chewie's life debt? Historically, the Life Debt came waaaay earlier, but now we have a blank slate. There is also the more minor timeline question about Han's double-cross of Sana Starros, but that is unlikely to come into play.

I don't think the movie can be carried as a Human-Wookie buddy film. This is the biggest hurdle to the film, I think. The whole movie would be Han speaking for two roles, right? Not sure that works.

Is it crazy to think that this movie happens either without Chewie (doubtful) or with an expanded crew? That's where Sana might be interesting as a female lead, for those familiar with her.

When trying to figure out what to expect, I see a lot of speculation that this may be a heist or crime movie, but I strongly disagree. With Lord and Miller at the helm, this is going to be an action comedy with some heart. Way more Beverly Hills Cop than, say, Ronin or The Score.

I think this is a tricky project. Will be fun to see it develop.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Y'all realize that clone means identical genetic copy. Rey cannot be a clone of Palpatine our Luke.

In movies it's not uncommon to use the term a bit more liberally.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Max Von Sydow may have been placed there to keep an eye on her in secret like Obi Wan with Luke

Don't know about that exact scenario, but I don't think it's a coincidence that we are getting lots of Church of the Force in Rogue One.
Tanya 93
Guess who is getting this for his 8th birthday on Monday?!?!?!

And I had to tell him that he needs to wear something other than Star Wars t-shirts to school or he will never get married.

I didn't realize he has 14 of them.
wangus12
AG
Umm my birthday isn't on Monday nor do I turn 8, but its the thought that counts right
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm right there with you. There will be a connection to the new trilogy. Has to be
Dro07
AG
8-14?! What kinda crap is that?
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
quote:

Don't know about that exact scenario, but I don't think it's a coincidence that we are getting lots of Church of the Force in Rogue One.

He also had the map to find Luke, so he has to have some connection with him. Was the Order there to get the map from Max or had they just followed Poe? I can't remember.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

He also had the map to find Luke, so he has to have some connection with him. Was the Order there to get the map from Max or had they just followed Poe? I can't remember.

They were there because they knew Max had the map.

Worth noting that Max had a personal relationship with at least Ben and Leia, so likely Luke as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 467 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.