Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,887,306 Views | 43964 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chewie allowed them to get around the Death Star with the prisoner routine. Show some respect.
Ag Since 83
AG
Plus he scared that mouse droid away. That thing could have taken down the entire operation.
The Collective
AG
My kid is no ****ing SJW.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
4 year old son watching Star Wars while I make dinner. Throne room scene is happening and he asks, "Why doesn't Chewie have one (medal)?"

*Cries tears of joy

Rest easy. The canon is that he got one but didn't wear it. Get him the Chewbacca comic miniseries.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cmooon Thursday.
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, it sounds like the new trailer will be Olympics/online only. It's apparently not playing in theaters.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Just FYI, it sounds like the new trailer will be Olympics/online only. It's apparently not playing in theaters.

Is the WW trailer not in theaters either? Was surprised it wasn't attached to SS.
TajMaballer
AG
I saw the WW trailer before Suicide Squad
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I think the Justice League trailer is the only WB one from Comic-Con that isn't playing in theaters.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well damn.

I was also kinda bummed my theater was so empty opening night. Went to see it in RPX, and I'm pretty sure they added that showtime at thw last minute cause the later IMAX show was sold out. The crowds are always a big thing for me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Better look at the new u wing.

Ag Since 83
AG

Some pretty sweet Lego sets to add to my extremely nerdy collection
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/08/star-wars-rogue-one-force-sacred-world-jedha-details

Have to say, this is an unexpected direction they're going in, but something I'm definitely on board with. I figured this movie would be fully separate from the mythology of the Force, the Jedi, etc. But this sounds really interesting.

One small issue for me is that the Force and the Jedi/Sith are basically myth by the time of ANH, so it's interesting that there's an entire planet that is a mecca for believers in the Force.

That said, having a kyber crystal powering the Death Star sounds awesome. Never would have thought of that.

Interesting question to me is, if there's a whole planet of believers, I wonder if other religions/cults have formed around it apart from the Jedi and Sith. Could they be setting up new groups for Ep 8 and 9? Maybe this world will be the birthplace of the Knights of Ren?
AliasMan02
AG
I think the departure from the Jedi/Sith dichotomy has been very deliberate. It's a great strategy for the longevity of the franchise.

References we've had include:

- Church of the Force
- Sith cults (not actual Sith, but worshippers of the Dark Side)
- Night Sisters (Clone Wars from before Disney, but still...)
- Bendu (a neutral Force faction that will premiere in Rebels)
- Whatever Snoke/Kylo are
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/08/star-wars-rogue-one-force-sacred-world-jedha-details

Have to say, this is an unexpected direction they're going in, but something I'm definitely on board with. I figured this movie would be fully separate from the mythology of the Force, the Jedi, etc. But this sounds really interesting.

One small issue for me is that the Force and the Jedi/Sith are basically myth by the time of ANH, so it's interesting that there's an entire planet that is a mecca for believers in the Force.

That said, having a kyber crystal powering the Death Star sounds awesome. Never would have thought of that.

Interesting question to me is, if there's a whole planet of believers, I wonder if other religions/cults have formed around it apart from the Jedi and Sith. Could they be setting up new groups for Ep 8 and 9? Maybe this world will be the birthplace of the Knights of Ren?

and this guy was probably a light side believer:
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Didn't know about thr Bendu, that sounds cool. Love the idea of a neutral faction.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Didn't know about thr Bendu, that sounds cool. Love the idea of a neutral faction.

That's what it sounds like, anyway, based on the teaser.

In the original Star Wars script, Jedi were called Jedi-Bendu. Just a fun fact.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, I remembered that one. Cool nod to that.

Mace Windu was originally a name in the first SW script.
Duncan Idaho
quote:

This was one of my problems with the prequels.

The empire just wasn't around long enough. I would have preferred the old republic being 1000's years ago with a long slow decent under the rule of the emperor. I mean 100s of years of rule by the emperor.

The Jedi just weren't dead long enough to have been forgotten or relegated to "magic" or legends
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

The empire just wasn't around long enough. I would have preferred the old republic being 1000's years ago with a long slow decent under the rule of the emperor. I mean 100s of years of rule by the emperor.

The Jedi just weren't dead long enough to have been forgotten or relegated to "magic" or legends

Canon was always that the reign was short. The Empire can only be as old as Luke and Leia, after all.
The Collective
AG
Perhaps the Jedi before the Empire were still kind of a legend unless you had direct interaction with them. Given that information, I suppose they could be forgotten pretty quickly by some.
Ag Since 83
AG
Luke having never heard of the Jedi makes sense, given the sheltered upbringing (by an uncle who is trying to keep him from knowing about the Jedi) on a backwater planet.

Han's well traveled and his skepticism is a little harder to understand, although there's probably a reasonable explanation if they ever made it explicit
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:

Interestingly, in one of the old EU novels (Heir to the Empire) Luke is recognized by some locals as a Jedi and is tasked to settle some dispute, the way the Jedi used to. So I would suggest it was less that the Jedi were forgotten, and more that the Jedi were thought to be gone for good.

In A New Hope, there are 2 active force users (that we know of) and many probably had no interaction with them. The officer on the Death Star probably had heard tales about Vader, but clearly didn't put much stock in his power.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Another.
Duncan Idaho
I get that the short time line was canon. I just think it would have made for a better villian and therefore a better story if the emperor had a much longer reign
redline248
AG
quote:
I get that the short time line was canon. I just think it would have made for a better villian and therefore a better story if the emperor had a much longer reign
2 things:

One could argue he had a very long reign, since he was basically running the senate as far back as episode 1.

It would have been interesting to see what Vader would have done if he had been an apprentice for, say, 10 years longer.
TCTTS
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
YouTube link for the teaser for the trailer on Thursday.

AliasMan02
AG
Seriously might salvage my week.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anyone think we get a different one than the one shown at celebration?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Anyone think we get a different one than the one shown at celebration?
From the teaser, it looks like we'll get a much better look at the U-Wing. I bet we get a decent look at one of the Imp ships as well, either the new TIE Striker or the black Darktrooper Lambda-style ship.
amercer
AG
On another topic, I started reading the new comics to my 5 year old (thanks Marvel unlimited! )

These are cannon right? Lots of Vader, Luke, Han etc The next one even seems to be all about Old Ben....

It's cool so far, and I do love more details about the central characters, but some times this galaxy far far away seems very small (my same issue with the anthology films really)
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
On another topic, I started reading the new comics to my 5 year old (thanks Marvel unlimited! )

These are cannon right? Lots of Vader, Luke, Han etc The next one even seems to be all about Old Ben....

It's cool so far, and I do love more details about the central characters, but some times this galaxy far far away seems very small (my same issue with the anthology films really)
Yes, the new Marvel comics are canon.

I agree that the world is pretty small. I felt they rushed the inclusion of Vader and Boba Fett in the activities of the Rebels, but they acknowledge pretty early that they can't continue to do that (specifically with Fett). Things branch out when they start to have contact through third parties like Dr. Aphra, who is the bright light of the Star Wars and Darth Vader comic lights to date, instead of constantly facing off one-on-one.

I like the Star Wars comics okay, but for some reason the universe has never REALLY translated to that medium. I don't know if it's just the short form of the platform, or what, but it always feels a little off, or it kinda goes off the rails like it does in the Obi-Wan and Anakin comic and turns into something that doesn't feel like a Star Wars story.
First Page Last Page
Page 460 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.