Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,448 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alright, let's see what he's got.
wangus12
AG
Finally saw the R1 trailer in theatres last night. Now I'm super pumped for when it comes out
TCTTS
AG
A brand new Han Solo was cast over 15 hours ago and this thread only has TWO posts about it?
Ag Since 83
AG
Frankly I'm happy it's being met with apathy rather than anger. That means we're just one awesome teaser trailer away from everyone being fully bought in
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I posted about it a few weeks ago when it was practically official. It's not exactly a surprise.
TCTTS
AG
This is true.
TCTTS
AG
Has anyone here seen Hail, Caesar!? Alden was easily the best thing about it. If this movie has to exist, of all the choices they could have made, he's definitely the best / most interesting.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I expect a story about a orphaned rogue from Corellia - who was brought up by a group of vagabonds (including an old Wookiee mechanic) - joining the empire and working his way into the Imperial officer's basic school. Seeing the mistreatment of Wookiee mechanic/slaves and becoming disenchanted with the empire, he deserts the Navy and takes the Wookiee with him to Kashyyyk to meet his family and receive the life-debt pledge.

Attichitcuk, Mallatobuck, and Lumpawarrump will all get cameos.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not sure if this is confirmed...
quote:
The film won't start shooting until January, but reports are that the early casting is because the new Solo will have a cameo in "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story," which is now shooting.

http://pagesix.com/2016/05/05/meet-the-new-han-solo/
jabberwalkie09
AG
It's hard to get excited about the casting for me without knowing how far back prior to ANH they are going. Plus, if Chewie isn't going to be in it then some of what is great about Han will be missing for me. Just my opinion, but I'd almost rather not have a Han Solo film.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Not sure if this is confirmed...
quote:
The film won't start shooting until January, but reports are that the early casting is because the new Solo will have a cameo in "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story," which is now shooting.

http://pagesix.com/2016/05/05/meet-the-new-han-solo/

Seems really late for that. In the timeline that we're talking about, there isn't a lot of room for Solo to show up, as he's on Tatooine. Or, at best, taking trips between Tatooine and other places.

In Lucasfilm I trust, but this seems like such a reach.
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
Finally saw the R1 trailer in theatres last night. Now I'm super pumped for when it comes out
I know this is way premature but I have this feeling that I'm going to walk out of Rogue One in December believing I just saw the best Star Wars movie yet. I mean yeah, I get it, we've seen a whopping one and a half minutes of footage but still.

For me, the draw to Star Wars was never really the Skywalker story or all the stuff about the Force, Jedi, Sith, etc (with exception to Vader being a badass character). I just loved the ships, walkers, rebels, stormtroopers, bounty hunters, the battles (Hoth battle remains probably my favorite battle scene in any movie), the whole wild west or frontier feel to it. Rogue One already looks gritty with a lot of action and battles and devoid of the Skywalker story or any romantic angles. And the retro vibe to the earlier days of the Rebellion looks amazing.

Plus I am really intrigued by a video I watched where this guy was saying that Disney is going to do similar things to SW as they have done with Marvel with short cameos and tie ins. The news about the Han Solo movie may be confirmation of that. Lots of speculation that Snoke's origins may be revealed or at least hinted at in Rogue One.

Can't wait
Duncan Idaho
I agree with all of this.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
It's hard to get excited about the casting for me without knowing how far back prior to ANH they are going. Plus, if Chewie isn't going to be in it then some of what is great about Han will be missing for me. Just my opinion, but I'd almost rather not have a Han Solo film.

I think it's worth not having Chewie in it to avoid the temptation to explore the origins of their partnership. The movie is a big question mark for me, but the worst version of it would be an origin story featuring Han partnering up with Chewie and winning the Falcon from Lando and getting the price put on his head by Jabba.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
I expect a story about a orphaned rogue from Corellia - who was brought up by a group of vagabonds (including an old Wookiee mechanic) - joining the empire and working his way into the Imperial officer's basic school. Seeing the mistreatment of Wookiee mechanic/slaves and becoming disenchanted with the empire, he deserts the Navy and takes the Wookiee with him to Kashyyyk to meet his family and receive the life-debt pledge.

Attichitcuk, Mallatobuck, and Lumpawarrump will all get cameos.

Only if there is a life day festival
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For me, it's the politics.

jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:

The Collective
AG
quote:

The Collective
AG
I'm not sure how Solo makes a cameo in Rogue One without it seeming forced. But, we'll see what happens.
redline248
AG
If the cameo exists, my guess is its something like him shooting a random trooper as the main character is running from them and he says "you owe me one."
SpreadsheetAg
AG
My only hang up with R1 is that I saw 0 aliens as main characters or even by-characters.

There was 1 alien I saw in a street scene on the trailer. Hope there are quite a few more, to be honest.
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
My only hang up with R1 is that I saw 0 aliens as main characters or even by-characters.

There was 1 alien I saw in a street scene on the trailer. Hope there are quite a few more, to be honest.
Aliens are always so hit and miss in Star Wars. Rogue One has a darker, more serious tone to it. Maybe there is some concern that aliens, if not done really, really well, could take away from that darker/ESB vibe it has going for it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
So you think it is high risk, marginal reward?
Philip J Fry
AG
Maybe this has already been discussed, but why the change from "There is still good in him" to "There is still light in him". Does kind of annoy me that they don't call the non-dark side "good".
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
So you think it is high risk, marginal reward?
Well, from my very novice perspective, yes. R1 really seems to have a darker vibe. I would wager there is major carnage and very few if any of the R1 team makes it, especially considering that it is all but completely confirmed that Vader is going to hunt them in the third act. Very few (any?) aliens were shown in the Force Awakens trailers. So yeah, I think there probably is a high risk factor associated with it.

I can tell you this. Had the Force Awakens trailers contained the aliens at Maz's cantina, the Rebel pilots that were aliens (one of them was super cheesy), or the Rathars, I would not have been as amped up for it as I was.
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
Maybe this has already been discussed, but why the change from "There is still good in him" to "There is still light in him". Does kind of annoy me that they don't call the non-dark side "good".
good question. Notice also that Snoke speaks of "the dark side, and the light". Was the Force ever spoken of in terms of dark and light in the previous films? I thought it was just "the Force" and "the dark side".
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:
good question. Notice also that Snoke speaks of "the dark side, and the light". Was the Force ever spoken of in terms of dark and light in the previous films? I thought it was just "the Force" and "the dark side".

Umm....
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Umm....
C'mon man I have hit max of nerding out here. Did I screw something up or actually make a point. I really don't know.
Philip J Fry
AG
I do not recall it ever being referred to as darkness vs light.

http://mashable.com/2015/12/08/star-wars-calendar-8/#iQ2hKngEwsqN

Looks like it was a JJ thing. Can't say I'm a fan.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
It's implied I suppose that of there's a dark side there's a light side throughout the other movies.

I've been calling it both since I w as s a kid (1981). I guess this is mostly due to the EU Legends where it is all discussed quite thoroughly. I've never thought of it as "The Force" vs "The Dark Side" because I've always thought of the force as having a spectrum from dark to light.

Anakin "brings balance to the force", meaning if the force were a scale you'd have dark on one side and light on the other side and it would be balance at the fulcrum in the middle.

I guess I never realized the light side is never mentioned in the movies, but it's how I've always though of it. Good vs Bad. Dark vs Light.

How are the duct tape and the force related? They have a dark side, a light side, and they bing the universe together.

I've always thought (and read it explained) that the Force was neutral but ones intent and how he drew upon it was what turned it dark or light. Using it in anger or fear or for attack makes it the dark side. Using it while calm or at peace or in defense makes it light.
Rex Racer
AG
Luke called it "the good side" in ROTJ. And Yoda referred to it as "the dark side of the force" or just "the dark side".
redline248
AG
I think in Empire, Luke asks Yoda something about knowing the difference between the good and ____. I can't remember what the blank is.
Philip J Fry
AG
"How am I to know the good side from the bad?"
"You will knooooow, when you are calm. At peace, passive.
redline248
AG
Thanks.

I don't recall ever hearing "light side" in the original movies, but it makes sense to think of it that way. Who knows what Lucas ever had in mind?
3rdGen2015
AG
There's a mini arc in the Clone Wars animated series that is about the necessity for balance between the light and dark sides of the force. Those were produced by Lucas, so he was okay with it.
First Page Last Page
Page 426 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.