Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,886,221 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
tamuangry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw the new Rogue One Trailer, it looks awesome! A couple of thoughts:

1. Jan Orsa? I thought it was Jan Ors (And I'm guessing Kyle Katarn is in the background). I read the rogue squadron series but nothing else from the Star Wars Universe. I'm guessing Jan & Kyle feature in a book? If so which one? I only know them from the video games.

2. I love the idea of a movie in the Star Wars universe not directly related to the main characters. This will give them the freedom to separate from the main plots and tell a new story. I would enjoy something grittier in which the good guys do not come out on top in the end of the movie. Be nice to see the empire as a well oiled fighting machine, not some over confident morons that get taken down by teddy bears.
YouBet
AG
You will get some of that grittier feel in this movie. Remember many Bothans died to get the plans.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
You will get some of that grittier feel in this movie. Remember many Bothans died to get the plans.

This joke needs to die.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:

The Collective
AG
I don't know much about this Amanda Ward chick, but this is a ****ty top 10.
http://makingstarwars.net/2016/04/10-star-wars-moments-that-are-iconic-to-me/
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
I don't know much about this Amanda Ward chick, but this is a ****ty top 10.
http://makingstarwars.net/2016/04/10-star-wars-moments-that-are-iconic-to-me/

Wow.
The Collective
AG
A list of 10 things has two moments from AOTC. This one made me chuckle the most, which she did foresee at least...
quote:
Not enough credit is given to Attack of the Clones or Hayden Christensen's performance in this film. Everything with Anakin on Tatooine in this movie is so well done and well acted and genuine. You're probably laughing right now but obviously I don't care. Shmi Skywalker's death is a painful and moving moment in the movie. Shmi was literally the only family Anakin has ever had and to leave her at the age of nine to go and train to become a Jedi was an incredibly brave and no doubt painful act for him. When we finally get to see Anakin and Shmi reunited and then she's torn from him finally in such a senseless and harsh way well, it's easier to see why Anakin later becomes so frightened of losing Padme. Pernilla August (who played Shmi) is a wonderful actress who gives us a truly warm and loving mother. Without a doubt she's the best mother in Star Wars and this moment hurts to watch.
Ag Since 83
AG
Two moments from the original trilogy...
Chipotlemonger
AG
BES = Amanda Ward?
The Collective
AG
quote:
BES = Amanda Ward?

Naw. No mention of, "so this is how liberty dies..."
cr0wbar
AG
guys- I'm sorry. Where can I get an official ruling on how to properly pronounce:

"AT-AT"

"AT-ST"

I thought it was "Ay Tee Ay Tee" and "Ay Tee Es Tee"
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
guys- I'm sorry. Where can I get an official ruling on how to properly pronounce:

"AT-AT"

"AT-ST"

TIme Article

From the article:

quote:
An email blast to Lucasfilm's public relations department provided the definitive verdict. The official pronunciation for AT-AT is the phonetic one, as in it rhymes with "hat hat."
Chipotlemonger
AG
I STILL don't buy it. How the hell is AT-ST said, then?
cr0wbar
AG
ugh- fine. Then I'll start calling the AT-ST

"AT-STUT"

Thanks for the clarifications
The Collective
AG
The AT-ST toy didn't even say AT-ST on it when it was introduced. I mentioned that I learned AT-AT (two words) from my older brothers, but one of our friends had the AT-ST toy from Empire that he stored in the box. The box literally said Scout Walker, no other name.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Kylo knows who she is and knew she was on Jakku. It almost seems like Kylo had to be the one who dropped her off, right? His reaction, "What girl", seems to give away that information. He either cared about her enough to want to protect her from the Knights of Ren / Snoke or he needed to hide her away from Luke and the resistance until he was ready to train her. Perhaps, he saw her as an apprentice that could help him rule the galaxy.

He's too young to have been the one to drop her off, on his own, anyway. He was about 13 at the time. Given that, and the fact that his training is still very incomplete, it seems pretty unlikely that Kylo would have betrayed Luke by the time Rey was left on Jakku.

Kylo does not know who Rey is. He does initially suspect that she is someone of importance, however. In other words, nothing about Rey specifically jumped out at him.

What Kylo IS interested in, however, is that a girl has become embroiled in his conflict. Someone or something has told him to be on the lookout for a female Force user, and that this person would be important in some way.

Kylo initially wonders if this troublesome girl might be the one he has been warned about. His suspicion builds when he realizes she is strong in the Force during the interrogation. He is then convinced when she Force grabs the lightsaber. In the novelization at that point he says, "It is you!"

This all adds up that he doesn't necessarily know the details of who she is, only that she is SOMEONE. It smacks of prophecy or a Force dream or farsight or a generic warning from Snoke.

Maybe the most compelling thing here is that Rey seems to have been left on Jakku before Ben Solo destroyed Luke's new academy. My personal theory is that Rey's mother is Force sensetive (perhaps Obi Wan's daughter, as we have speculated) and took her from Luke when she was young because she foresaw the destruction of the Academy. Luke may even have been in on it, but didn't allow himself to know where she was taken.
The Collective
AG
Toy reference:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
BES = Amanda Ward?

Naw. No mention of, "so this is how liberty dies..."
This joke also needs to die.
The Collective
AG
quote:
This joke also needs to die.

You are right. It really isn't that funny anymore... you are one of my favorite posters on this thread if that's any consolation.
The Collective
AG
I'm digesting this. I do agree on Kylo's age being an issue with my thought process. Hmmm...
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I'm digesting this. I do agree on Kylo's age being an issue with my thought process. Hmmm...

Just think about Kylo's actual reactions.

"What girl?"

Being very shaken when she resisted the mind probe. "She's strong in the Force. Untrained but stronger than she knows."

"It is you."

Also keep in mind that Kylo and Snoke spoke freely about Kylo's family, but never talked about Rey in that context.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hey the prequels really aren't THAT bad. I've seen way worse movies.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:

"AT-AT"

"AT-ST"

TIme Article

From the article:

quote:
An email blast to Lucasfilm's public relations department provided the definitive verdict. The official pronunciation for AT-AT is the phonetic one, as in it rhymes with "hat hat."

One thing to keep in mind is that the @-@ pronunciation was established BEFORE the AT-STs were imagined ot even named.

Ignore me. I am an idiot.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I just hate the problem.
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

"AT-AT"

"AT-ST"

TIme Article

From the article:

quote:

One thing to keep in mind is that the @-@ pronunciation was established BEFORE the AT-STs were imagined ot even named.

How is this possible? They both show up for the first time in the same movie.
redline248
AG
quote:
This all adds up that he doesn't necessarily know the details of who she is, only that she is SOMEONE. It smacks of prophecy or a Force dream or farsight or a generic warning from Snoke.
Don't forget the conversation:

"There's been an awakening. Have you felt it?"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ok, last one.

TCTTS
AG
http://makingstarwars.net/2016/04/spencer-wilding-to-play-darth-vader-in-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
http://makingstarwars.net/2016/04/spencer-wilding-to-play-darth-vader-in-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/

Good resume for a creature actor.
Tomdoss92
AG
Ag Since 83
AG
In Battlefront just now I definitely heard "ay tee ay tee"
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
In Battlefront just now I definitely heard "ay tee ay tee"

EA, still getting it wrong.
DB Coach
AG
quote:

OMG that is AWESOME!
DB Coach
AG
quote:
The AT-ST toy didn't even say AT-ST on it when it was introduced. I mentioned that I learned AT-AT (two words) from my older brothers, but one of our friends had the AT-ST toy from Empire that he stored in the box. The box literally said Scout Walker, no other name.
That's what I always thought they were for the same reason!
First Page Last Page
Page 412 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.