Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,279 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
Fenrir
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
HOLY ****

I bet he's going to show up in the third act to bring pain and doom for the rebels. Sounds like a great way to kill pretty much everyone off.

Perhaps the segment of fans *****ing and moaning about not seeing Vader absolutely destroy everyone under the sun will now be happy if this comes to pass.

Nope, doubt that.
As one that has *****ed about Vader mostly being a child killing, whiny ***** that relied more on luck than skill in the prequels, the action as mentioned above would make me very happy.
boogieman
AG
fkuc yeah!
The Collective
AG
quote:
Use your noggin. Rogue One is set almost immediately before Episode 4. Vader will be like the Vader of the OT.

Damn. I was hoping he'd do some special move that decapitates 10 guys at once and then yell, "Yippie".
Quad Dog
AG
Alright I tried to link to the cool Vader gif from Battlefront, but it loaded crazy slow.
Here's the link instead.
http://i.imgur.com/N87lc7U.gifv
Ag Since 83
AG
Haha, the Luuke theory. Wow, what a weird way that would be to bring the Zahn books into things.

I've said it before though. I do think the idea that Kylo dropped her off on Jakku because he wasn't evil enough yet to kill a 5 year old makes a lot of sense.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
this one actually has some merit, IMO

quote:
24) My Crazy Theory
Having spent the last several days mired in Rey madness, I would like the opportunity to posit my own crazy theory: That Rey doesn't have parents, and that in fact she's the result of an experimentan evil experiment, perhaps by scientists who continued their work after the Emperor's death, perhaps Snoke and/or the Knights of Ren, perhaps the Sith. Whoever was behind it, they wanted to create an ultimate Force-user, so they created a child from the greatest Force-user they had access to:
Luke. Specifically, Luke's hand.
Think about it in the way that Star Wars science worksnamely, it usually works in the way we think it should work, not how it really does. The Emperor's body was absolutely annihilated when the Death Star blew up; Luke burned Vader's body, but even if Vader's mask remains I don't see an Imperial CSI team scouring the ashes for Vader's DNA. That leaves Luke, and given that someone found Luke's lightsaber from his climatic battle on Cloud City, it's not unreasonable his severed hand would end up in the same place (and this matches some of the weird rumors that dogged TFA before its release about Luke's lightsaber, with hand still attached(!), playing an important role in the movie). These evil scientistsmaybe sent by the Emperor himself, directly after ESBgrabbed both the lightsaber and the hand, and got to work. And it took them years before they created a viable living subject using Luke's hand.
This would make Rey a Skywalker, but avoids 1) Luke having to have sex with some character we've never met and don't care about and 2) avoiding the crazy virgin birth thing that Anakin did. If their continued fight against the Empire/First Order, it's possible Luke and the others happened up this lab and found and rescued 5-year-old Rey, at which point Luke would have tried to train her with Ben Solo. When Snoke hears about Rey, he orders Kylo and the Knights of Ren to either destroy the girl or bring her to him to turn to the Dark Side, in true Star Wars-style.
Ben, at 19 years old, is cruel enough to kill his fellow students as they try to protect Rey, but not quite far gone enough to murder a five-year-old girl in cold blood, even if she is some kind of mega-weapon. However, Kylo also doesn't want her as competition, or her exceeding him. His decision? To drop her off on some remote planet that no one would ever think to look for her and leave her in the hands of some brute like Unkar Plutt, presumably never to be seen or heard from again. To me, this is the only way Rey's abandonment works; it has to be by someone cruel, but also someone that wants her out of the picture, but not dead.
So Luke, Han, and Leia don't know if the girl's alive or dead, or if she is, whether she's part of the First Order. It's effectively impossible to search for her. All Luke can do is put out part of a map in hopes that the Force will somehow guide it to her when she's readyand thus eventually guide her to him.

Obviously somebody retrieved Luke's light saber so why not the hand too?
Since Bespin was being evacuated it's likely that only Vader was aware of the severed hand/lost saber and made Palpatine aware later. After all his orders were to turn Luke or destroy him.
Palps always had contingency plans so it's not too far out there to believe that if he couldn't turn Luke he might clone him.
Han and Leia know something about Rey.
Kylo Ren knows who she is.
Snoke seems to know who she is.
After seeing the movie twice I am convinced that the "awakening" and the "force awakens" specifically means Rey and the awakening of her powers
I still think that the brief glimpse of the Knight of Ren was a flashback and not a view of the future. Kylo taking Rey and dumping her on some backwater planet, not allowing her to be killed, makes sense. Kylo seems keenly aware that "sentiment" is what brought down Vader, the Emperor, and the Empire and its probably that same sentiment that kept him from killing Rey which he know now was a mistake.

they've certainly came up with worse ideas in the previous trilogies

things that make sense with that theory

1. Luke's expression upon seeing HER and the saber - it's not his daughter, but shock and aghast and horrified too
2. why they would cut the hand/saber in space scene - too telling
3. the people who appear to know who she is (kylo, snoke and luke) and possibly han, leia, others but not a familial connection level. they all greet her in an odd way really.
4. possibly explains why Han asks "what do you call yourself?" instead of what is your name? and how quickly he offers her a job
5. why leia sends Rey and not anyone else or herself to Luke
6. what Maz says about how she got the saber and it being a story for another time
7. how the saber called to Rey and opened the locked door only for her

jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
Use your noggin. Rogue One is set almost immediately before Episode 4. Vader will be like the Vader of the OT.

Damn. I was hoping he'd do some special move that decapitates 10 guys at once and then yell, "Yippie".
I don't know why but "Yippe Ki Yay Mother ****er" just popped into my head. Darth Vader is Hans Gruber I guess?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One of the best Vader gifs, movies or no.
512Ag
AG
quote:
this one actually has some merit, IMO

quote:
24) My Crazy Theory
Having spent the last several days mired in Rey madness, I would like the opportunity to posit my own crazy theory: That Rey doesn't have parents, and that in fact she's the result of an experimentan evil experiment, perhaps by scientists who continued their work after the Emperor's death, perhaps Snoke and/or the Knights of Ren, perhaps the Sith. Whoever was behind it, they wanted to create an ultimate Force-user, so they created a child from the greatest Force-user they had access to:
Luke. Specifically, Luke's hand.
Think about it in the way that Star Wars science worksnamely, it usually works in the way we think it should work, not how it really does. The Emperor's body was absolutely annihilated when the Death Star blew up; Luke burned Vader's body, but even if Vader's mask remains I don't see an Imperial CSI team scouring the ashes for Vader's DNA. That leaves Luke, and given that someone found Luke's lightsaber from his climatic battle on Cloud City, it's not unreasonable his severed hand would end up in the same place (and this matches some of the weird rumors that dogged TFA before its release about Luke's lightsaber, with hand still attached(!), playing an important role in the movie). These evil scientistsmaybe sent by the Emperor himself, directly after ESBgrabbed both the lightsaber and the hand, and got to work. And it took them years before they created a viable living subject using Luke's hand.
This would make Rey a Skywalker, but avoids 1) Luke having to have sex with some character we've never met and don't care about and 2) avoiding the crazy virgin birth thing that Anakin did. If their continued fight against the Empire/First Order, it's possible Luke and the others happened up this lab and found and rescued 5-year-old Rey, at which point Luke would have tried to train her with Ben Solo. When Snoke hears about Rey, he orders Kylo and the Knights of Ren to either destroy the girl or bring her to him to turn to the Dark Side, in true Star Wars-style.
Ben, at 19 years old, is cruel enough to kill his fellow students as they try to protect Rey, but not quite far gone enough to murder a five-year-old girl in cold blood, even if she is some kind of mega-weapon. However, Kylo also doesn't want her as competition, or her exceeding him. His decision? To drop her off on some remote planet that no one would ever think to look for her and leave her in the hands of some brute like Unkar Plutt, presumably never to be seen or heard from again. To me, this is the only way Rey's abandonment works; it has to be by someone cruel, but also someone that wants her out of the picture, but not dead.
So Luke, Han, and Leia don't know if the girl's alive or dead, or if she is, whether she's part of the First Order. It's effectively impossible to search for her. All Luke can do is put out part of a map in hopes that the Force will somehow guide it to her when she's readyand thus eventually guide her to him.

Then why use Kenobi's voice in the Force dream?
(I intend that to be read in Milhouse's "Why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?" voice.)
joemeister
AG
I heard there was an unintentional spoiler in the Disney Infinity game that strongly implied that she will be a Skywalker.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Read that and agreed as well...

It ALSO explains her Quick somewhat mastery of the force. She might be innately at the same level of Force ability that Luke was when he lost his hand. Force Grip; resist temptation; good fighter; etc.

Though, one thing that does stock out to me is her fighting style with the saber CLOSELY resembles Chancellor Palpatines... Long thrusts at waist level.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Why not? If she's really Luke DNA in female form ... The Kenobi force-connection is there
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I heard there was an unintentional spoiler in the Disney Infinity game that strongly implied that she will be a Skywalker.
Don't believe everything you hear. This was discussed some pages ago and Kylo says "Curses" in the video.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
quote:

I'll try throwing my saber and decapitating everyone!! That's a neat trick!!!
amercer
AG
A female clone of Luke? Now all we need is for Luke to bang her and we've got a Heinlein novel....
Phat32
AG
Vader in Battlefront is how I imagine Vader being pre-ANH.
hunter2012
AG
I ran across this gem:

quote:
In episode I, Anakin was a fearful boy, in episode II, he was an angry young man, in episode III, he was a hateful man, and in episodes IV-VI he was a suffering old man.

"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering."
- Jedi Master Yoda

Mind...blown...
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
I ran across this gem:

quote:
In episode I, Anakin was a fearful boy, in episode II, he was an angry young man, in episode III, he was a hateful man, and in episodes IV-VI he was a suffering old man.

- Jedi Master Yoda

Mind...blown...
jabberwalkie09
AG
Sound editor for TFA has revealed who provided voices in the film.

http://www.starwars.com/news/from-blast-that-x-wing-to-traitor-the-voices-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens?cmp=smc|345462828&linkId=20655917

redline248
AG
So, they left off the stormtrooper who was talking to Rey before she mind controls him? Did I overlook that?
Ag Since 83
AG
You mean James Bond?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Nope, Daniel Craig is not in the list.
redline248
AG
Yeah, I brought it up b/c didn't Craig and JJ deny that cameo? Seems like this would have cleared it up. haha
Ag Since 83
AG
I think Craig might have actually been in the suit (which is kind of ridiculous to think he actually did that), and thus isn't a voice actor in the sense these others are
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. That is absolutely, 100% Craig in the suit, saying those lines.
jeffk
AG
I never heard how that came about - did Craig approach JJ or someone else at the studio about his interest?
Ag Since 83
AG
I think they were filming next door to Spectre at Pinewood and just invited him to do it
InnerCityAg
quote:
I ran across this gem:

quote:

- Jedi Master Yoda

Mind...blown...

Where's the part about being a whiny *****?
jeffk
AG
There was a fearful amount of whining...
redline248
AG
quote:
There was a fearful amount of whining...
which made me and many other viewers angry
AggieSouth06
quote:

"Generic, childlike expressions of fear lead to oblique and unconvincing love stories, oblique and unconvincing love stories lead to poorly-constructed and ham-fisted motivations, poorly-constructed and ham-fisted motivations lead to totally forced and not-at-all-relatable character development."
- An oblivious, learning-disabled breakdancing cartoon frog that George Lucas tried to pass off as Yoda
TCTTS
AG
Here we go...

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/01/daisy-ridley-teases-filming-for-star-wars-episode-viii/
amercer
AliasMan02
AG
Wooooooooooooo!
AgMarauder04
AG
CAN I GET A "HELL YEAH?!"
First Page Last Page
Page 361 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.