Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,358 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
She's no one.
twilly
AG
quote:
That chick with the nice necklace is Rey?
Yep.
redline248
AG
quote:
She's no one.

Does she actually say that in the movie, or was it just in the trailer?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just the trailer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
X-Wing from Rogue One:

AliasMan02
AG
Damn, that is sexy.
AgMarauder04
AG
Old school T-65?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You know it.
redline248
AG
I was just thinking about Han's discussion with Kylo about the helmet. Wouldn't it be interesting to know how Han reacted when Luke told him Vader ended up a good guy? The same guy who tortured both Leia and Han, and froze Han in carbonite? Or how he viewed Anakin/Vader over the last 30 years. Leia probably wanted to name their kid Anakin instead of Ben...and Han was like "oh hell no."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'd love to see the moment Leia tells Han that Vader is her father.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
I'd love to see the moment Leia tells Han that Vader is her father.

I'm way more certain that she did this than that she ever told Han that Vader turned at the end. I think that's a bad assumption to make.
redline248
AG
Why wouldn't she?
amercer
AG
The more I think about it, the more I hope Rey isn't related to anyone we've met. Keep the universe big, and keep some of the mystery.

It won't happen, but I love this as the opening scene of the next film:

Rey: You're Luke Skywaker, the Jedi

Luke: Yes, and you're Rey (insert some name we don't know)

Rey: How do you know my name???

Luke: The force has been watching you for a very long time, as have I

Rey: Why? I am no one.

Luke: No. You are the last of your clan, descendants of the first great Jedi.

Rey: [stunned silence]

Luke: Welcome home...
AliasMan02
AG
I agree, but the Skywalker legacy is important as well. It seems unlikely that Kylo will be the path through which that legacy runs.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I think I'd personally want Rey to be a randomer. I don't like that "line of the great jedi" talk or whatever. Just make her a true needle in the haystack.
amercer
AG
quote:
I think I'd personally want Rey to be a randomer. I don't like that "line of the great jedi" talk or whatever. Just make her a true needle in the haystack.

The precedent is there from Rebels that there are lots of force sensitive kids and other force users in the galaxy, so she could just be a nobody. I feel from the setup though that Luke has to know her, and I don't see how she could have been at the academy as a student. I just don't like the mind wiping idea, and the ages don't really work.

She's Lukes kid 99%, although I'm not sure even Disney has fully decided. It would just be awesome to have a bigger universe to play in. I get that it's a Skywalker story, but that has to end at some point.
amercer
AG
Jedi descendant is cheesy I guess, but it opens up possibilities. What if she isn't there to bring Luke back or to be trained (although she will end up a badass Jedi no doubt) . What if she is there to help Luke find what he was looking for when he went in search of the first Jedi temple?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yes I agree it does kind of have to end at some point.

Why doesn't the age thing work for her to have been a student at the academy? A student unrelated to Solo or Skywalker?
AliasMan02
AG
Truth is, there shouldn't be many Jedi with a lineage. Sure, some kids win the Force Powerball, but the kid of a Jedi should be exceedingly rare from the Dark Times through... what are we calling this new era? Resistence era?
wanewman
No idea how this leaked, but it's before and after effects from TFA!

https://vimeo.com/151719063
amercer
AG
I thought she would have been 5ish when it was destroyed, but maybe I have the math mixed up.

She seemed pretty young in the scene where she is dropped off. If she was older than that I think Kylo would have certainly recognized her. I'm in the camp that thinks he doesn't really know who she is, but even if he does figure it out during thier fight, you'd still have to think he would have known earlier if she was really another student at Lukes academy.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Yes I agree it does kind of have to end at some point.

Why doesn't the age thing work for her to have been a student at the academy? A student unrelated to Solo or Skywalker?

My first thought was that she was a student, but now I'm not sure. She would have been REALLY young to have learned much... she was only 5. Also, Luke dropping her with Plutt seems unlikely.

Maybe most of all, the issue is that Kylo would have had to be pretty young when he turned on Luke. He was only 15 when Rey was left on Jakku, and that would mean he had been under Snoke's tutelage for 14 years. He seems greener than that.
Chipotlemonger
AG
It's possible for her to have been a student, yet not dropped off by Luke, instead dropped off by someone else.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I thought she would have been 5ish when it was destroyed, but maybe I have the math mixed up.

She seemed pretty young in the scene where she is dropped off. If she was older than that I think Kylo would have certainly recognized her. I'm in the camp that thinks he doesn't really know who she is, but even if he does figure it out during thier fight, you'd still have to think he would have known earlier if she was really another student at Lukes academy.

The movie, especially the novelization, leaves it very open that Kylo perhaps just knew OF her, but didn't necessarily know her personally. He seems to have a vague description of some unknown person in his mind, and spends the last half of the movie trying to decide if she meets this description or not before being convinced during their duel.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
It's possible for her to have been a student, yet not dropped off by Luke, instead dropped off by someone else.

No argument here. Mostly it's the idea that Kylo had been studying the Dark Side with Snoke for 14 years that I question.

One current family theory is that Luke's wife, Rey's mom, may have foreseen the slaughter at Luke's school, and hidden Rey in the most unlikely place possible to save her life.
amercer
AG
quote:

First, that is incredibly super awesome. They built SO MANY real sets. No wonder it looked great.

Second, somebody is getting thier ass fired for leaking that.
jr15aggie
AG
I just read the part in the book where Han offers Rey a job... Goes a bit different than in the movie Rey says "I'm flattered, but I have somewhere else to be"... Next line... Han says knowingly, " Jakku".

It's the knowingly part that's interesting. Like at this point he knows who she is which has been speculated. I think in the movie it was more of a question... Why go back there.... But in the book he knew before she said it.

I'm pretty sure they are messing with us... They knew we would be all over her origin and the fact that it wasn't revealed or leaked is playing into their hands. They are dropping clues as well as misdirection all over the place.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:

First, that is incredibly super awesome. They built SO MANY real sets. No wonder it looked great.

it's a well done video... wouldn't be surprised if it were for the Oscar's special effects award.
wangus12
AG
It should certainly be in the running for it.
bangobango
AG
I think what we will see the next two movies is both Rey and Kylo progressing in their training and becoming more powerful. I think Kylo will win the next fight that will come in episode two and then Rey will win in episode three, the rubber match. I think we are going to see a Darth Vader tyoe become Darth Vader, so to speak as far as Kylo is concerned.
maca1028
This just happened.
jeffk
AG
quote:
This just happened.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Could you make it a smaller resolution?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:

Very cool. It's pretty neat to see how much of it was real.
twilly
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

it's a well done video... wouldn't be surprised if it were for the Oscar's special effects award.
The video was made for to highlight the EFX for Oscar consideration.

And it worked seeing how it got nominated.

2016 Oscar Nominations for Visual Effects:
Ex Machina
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
First Page Last Page
Page 354 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.