Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,890,704 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why are you assuming that weapon the Stormtrooper has is made specifically to defect lightsabers? Can they not just have weapons that use an electrical charge in that manner? There are all kind of practical defensive/offensive uses for a weapon like that beyond defending against lightsabers. When you see a cop use a baton, do you automatically assume it was made specifically to defend against baseballs?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Because they had similar weapons in ROTS.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TFA has ruined my productivity every day since Oct. 19, and since I work at home, I'm pretty much on my own for how much time I watch clips over and over.

On the Finn vs. Trooper weapon; I have 2 thoughts - 1) we know Finn has the blaster in most promo shots, so he was probably disarmed when he, Han, and Chewie are captured, but the average trooper probably isn't thinking about looking for a saber on a guy that no one thinks would have one.

HOWEVER, if those troopers are personally attached to Kylo Ren, and Kylo Ren is perhaps hunting for Luke Skywalker, it would make sense for his troops to have weapons that could at least block a lightsaber, because stormtroopers with guns and crap armor isn't going to cut it.

That thought just made me realize, we never actually see a stomtrooper killed via lightsaber in the movies. Obi-Wan and Yoda dice a lot of clones in ROTS, but the only time Luke fights them after getting his training is when he arrives at Cloud City, and he uses his gun, what a puss.

And speaking of Cloud City, Luke has a vision of Han & Leia in pain and tells Yoda, "I saw a city in the clouds." OK, so did he go onto Rebel Google and type in "city in the clouds" to get directions? I imagine him telling R2D2, look up "cities in the clouds" and R2 being like "OK, here are the top 8 million results of places like that'.

Texaggie7nine
It looks like the charge created a field around the weapon to protect it and it was activated when the saber hit it or was about to.

That seems pretty directed towards anti-light saber
7nine
Texaggie7nine
Just noticed this on Fandango as the description for TFA.

quote:
A downed stormtrooper goes on a journey reconnecting him with heroic faces from the past.

Sounds like the writer of Little Miss Sunshine DID write this movie after all.
7nine
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I was thinking about something last night. There was talk a few weeks ago about Lucas not knowing Leia would be Luke's sister until ROTJ. I say bull****. She just happened to be able to communicate with Luke on Cloud City?

That is pretty strong evidence.

Also, on last night's Collider Jedi Council, one of the guys thinks that Finn may die in TFA. Looks like I'm not the only one that suspects this could happen, TCTTS. You say there's no way it happens, I say it is very possible.

It would be a pretty brilliant move; makes everyone expendable. But I think Rey, Kylo, and Poe are our true new trio. I suspect they are downplaying Poe on purpose in the marketing to throw us off.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
TFA has ruined my productivity every day since Oct. 19, and since I work at home, I'm pretty much on my own for how much time I watch clips over and over.
Wait, I'm not sure that this accurate.
quote:
TFA has ruined my productivity every day since Oct. 19 Celebration in Anaheim, and since I work at home, I'm pretty much on my own for how much time I watch clips over and over.
There we go. You know it to be true.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I was thinking about something last night. There was talk a few weeks ago about Lucas not knowing Leia would be Luke's sister until ROTJ. I say bull****. She just happened to be able to communicate with Luke on Cloud City?

Also, on last night's Collider Jedi Council, one of the guys thinks that Finn may die in TFA. Looks like I'm not the only one that suspects this could happen, TCTTS. You say there's no way it happens, I say it is very possible.

It would be a pretty brilliant move; makes everyone expendable. But I think Rey, Kylo, and Poe are our true new trio. I suspect they are downplaying Poe on purpose in the marketing to throw us off.
Do yourself a favor and by yourself this book for Christmas (or Kwanza). You will be infinitely more knowledgable of the OT aftewards, and it's fascinating to boot.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-The-Annotated-Screenplays/dp/0345409817
Duncan Idaho
Is baseball a new derogatory euphemism for black people?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:

Luke reached out to her, not the other way around. Go back and watch ESB.

edit: Or do what Muck suggested.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And you think he would be able to do that with just anyone?

Nope.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
And you think he would be able to do that with just anyone?

Nope.
Yes. Yoda reached out to Kanan in Rebels in the Path of the Jedi episode during season 1 while Kanan was in the Jedi Temple. Leia and Luke were also in much closer proximity. Not to mention that Ahsoka felt Plo Kloon in need of help during TCW.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So what is y'alls theory on who Yoda was talking about when he says "there is another"? An un-created character? Someone else in the OT?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've never seen Rebels, but is Kanan not force-sensitive?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:
Wait, I'm not sure that this accurate.
quote:
TFA has ruined my productivity every day since Oct. 19 Celebration in Anaheim, and since I work at home, I'm pretty much on my own for how much time I watch clips over and over.
There we go. You know it to be true.
Well, to be totally honest, I haven't been productive at work since October 30, 2012, when I was sitting at my desk working for a British-based petrochemical news bureau when it popped up on CNBC that Disney was buying Lucasfilm for $4 billion

I called my wife at work and said, "Look, there are going to be some new star wars movies coming out in a couple of years, and you've never seen me when there's one coming out, so I'm going to try and control myself, but it's probably not going to help."

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I've never seen Rebels, but is Kanan not force-sensitive?
Seriously dude, WTF?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm a cable-cutter. Plus I should probably finish TCW first.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And thanks for the rec, might check that book out. Still about halfway through "How Star Wars Conquered The Universe", which I'm thoroughly enjoying.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
So what is y'alls theory on who Yoda was talking about when he says "there is another"? An un-created character? Someone else in the OT?
Depends on when you are talking about. Between ESB and ROTJ I think that changes. In ESB I don't think Lucas had planned out who the other was. By ROTJ that obviously changes.

Personally, I don't think that any other force user could have done what Luke did. IMO only a child of Anakin Skywalker could have accomplished either redeeming Vader and/or destroying him and the Emperor.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
i dont know what a cable-cutter is, but im pretty sure you have a computer. and you can watch every single episode of Rebels there.
TCTTS
AG

quote:

I'll bet anyone here any amount of money that Finn doesn't die in TFA. I've been skirting around it, but there's one huge, glaring reason he won't, and I'd have to get into major spoiler territory to explain why.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

quote:

but there's one huge, glaring reason he won't,

Quanell X?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
i dont know what a cable-cutter is, but im pretty sure you have a computer. and you can watch every single episode of Rebels there.
The internet works in mysterious ways.....
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

Pre-order the soundtrack with a nice lil poster at Disney.

Comes out Dec. 18 but looks like it might ship a bit earlier.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:

quote:

but there's one huge, glaring reason he won't,

Quanell X?

Legit... Probably.....
AliasMan02
AG
If anti-lightsaber tech is a thing, even on a limited basis, JJ will have done is all a great sevice. I've talked about it before, but the overpowered nature of a lightsaber was one of the big problems in the prequels. Lucas was constantly having to write in reasons for Jedi to lose, drop, destroy, or otherwise incapacitate a lightsaber. Otherwise there could be no drama or tension because having a lightsaber was basically a cheat code.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
That's what makes a lot of the Star Wars games irritating. There's a locked door, so I'm stuck ... but I have a lightsaber, which mysteriously won't cut through this door or this wall or ANYTHING ELSE AROUND HERE.

Getting the PS2 out of the closet tonight to show my girls Lego Star Wars, and having to really keep my itchy trigger finger away from popping in the Jango Fett disc to shoot up some Tuskens and Dugs.

One of my favorite plots of a Star Wars game ever.

Duncan Idaho
quote:
Best Star Wars game and it's not even close...

http://cdn1-www.craveonline.com/assets/uploads/2013/04/Star-Wars-KOTOR-e1365098509777.jpg

Tie fighter vs x wing with a full flight control kit was the best star wars game ever

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
My personal favorite SW games

1) KOTOR
2) Empire at War with the Forces of Corruption upgrade
3) Jedi Outcast
4) Jango Fett
5) Lego Star Wars

And I have a special place in my heart for The Phantom Menace PC game because it is so effin' crazy. You can kill anyone you want to. ANYONE. And in some instances the level goes on and on and on until you're dead or you kill someone you shouldn't have. The Mos Espa level where you're supposed to be getting parts for Anakin's pod is a lot like Grand Theft Auto, you can start killing people and pretty soon the whole town is gunning for you, but as long as you stay alive, you can keep running around as Qui-Gon Jinn, throwing grenades, using an automatic weapon, it's truly bizarre. One of my favorite times playing it, I was blocking lasers from the angry guards, and watched as one of the rebounded shots capped Lil Orphan Ani right in the noggin, ending the level.

I realize this is 10-minute video, but you will not see anything funnier today. And if you can't invest 10 minutes, at least skip to 7:10.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Abrams and Domhall Gleeson talk Starkiller Base and General Hux.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/13/star-wars-starkiller-base-general-hux
BMX Bandit
quote:
If anti-lightsaber tech is a thing, even on a limited basis, JJ will have done is all a great sevice. I've talked about it before, but the overpowered nature of a lightsaber was one of the big problems in the prequels. Lucas was constantly having to write in reasons for Jedi to lose, drop, destroy, or otherwise incapacitate a lightsaber. Otherwise there could be no drama or tension because having a lightsaber was basically a cheat code.

I think the force is a cheat code more so. Especially in prequels. You don't need a light saber to defend yourself.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

I think the force is a cheat code more so. Especially in prequels. You don't need a light saber to defend yourself.
The thing that is being used in the trailer reminds me very much of the Magnaguard's electrostaffs. Like a lot. I think that the Magnaguards used their staffs to block lighsabers in TCW and ROTS but I'm a bit fuzzy on that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:

quote:

I'll bet anyone here any amount of money that Finn doesn't die in TFA. I've been skirting around it, but there's one huge, glaring reason he won't, and I'd have to get into major spoiler territory to explain why.
AcctAg11
AG
quote:
My personal favorite SW games

1) KOTOR
2) Empire at War with the Forces of Corruption upgrade
3) Jedi Outcast
4) Jango Fett
5) Lego Star Wars

And I have a special place in my heart for The Phantom Menace PC game because it is so effin' crazy. You can kill anyone you want to. ANYONE. And in some instances the level goes on and on and on until you're dead or you kill someone you shouldn't have. The Mos Espa level where you're supposed to be getting parts for Anakin's pod is a lot like Grand Theft Auto, you can start killing people and pretty soon the whole town is gunning for you, but as long as you stay alive, you can keep running around as Qui-Gon Jinn, throwing grenades, using an automatic weapon, it's truly bizarre. One of my favorite times playing it, I was blocking lasers from the angry guards, and watched as one of the rebounded shots capped Lil Orphan Ani right in the noggin, ending the level.

My favorite Star Wars game by far was Tie Fighter. An old game, which I still play from time to time. Obviously the graphics are nothing compared to today, but the gameplay and the story are top notch. It had better features than X-Wing and a better Story, IMO. It would actually make my top 5 of any game I have ever played.

I remember playing The Phantom Menace for PS1. That game was crazy. That Mos Espa level was ridiculously confusing.

Star Wars Galaxies (Pre-NGE, before they ruined it) could still be one of the best MMO's out there. (Damn you SOE). Probably my second favorite Star Wars game.
The Collective
AG
Lucas and team got pretty damn lucky if they didn't realize Leia was "the other" referenced in ESB. The points referenced by Brian have always bothered me when people say Leia and Luke as siblings wasn't planned when they wrote ESB.
First Page Last Page
Page 259 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.