Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,885,313 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
Malachi Constant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Likewise.
chipotle
That scene in empire where Luke tried to lift the x-wing out of the swamp with yodas reaction mirrors my reaction to 2012-2015 aggie football.
Simplebay
AG
Uhhh amazon has apparently spoiled Finn's last name.

I'm not posting it here. Even though some people would deem this official since its a licensed product.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My reaction to our offensive playcalling:
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Uhhh amazon has apparently spoiled Finn's last name.

I'm not posting it here. Even though some people would deem this official since its a licensed product.
Spoiler...

If you want to be spoiled...
Simplebay
AG
New TV ad with new scenes...

https://amp.twimg.com/v/0f26b8a6-6c46-40c0-9701-903974062800
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"I have lived long enough to see the same eyes in different people."

Zoom in on Han.

"I see your eyes. I know your eyes."

Zoom in on Rey's eyes.

Seems really revelatory for an Abrams spot, to be honest. Going for the fakeout?
RebAg13
AG
Ya not clicking that link and say anything leaked like that shouldn't be in this thread as its potentially like "Qui Gons noble end."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Don't worry, it's nothing. Not official and completely baseless.
RebAg13
AG
Hoping it's a fake out
AgMarauder04
AG
It just tells you who Finn's dad is...according to a toy caption.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, don't believe a word of it...

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/11/about-that-star-wars-the-force-awakens-son-of-lando-rumor-its-false/
TCTTS
AG
And btw, the new TV spot is absolutely fantastic, but I've officially reached my capacity for new footage in the past couple of days. Between the Japanese trailer and this, I've seen more than enough. Now, if I can just last five more weeks without seeing another frame...
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
And btw, the new TV spot is absolutely fantastic, but I've officially reached my capacity for new footage in the past couple of days. Between the Japanese trailer and this, I've seen more than enough. Now, if I can just last five more weeks without seeing another frame...
no problem, just stay off the internet and don't use social media!
Mr. White
quote:
quote:
no problem, just stay off the internet and don't use social media!

I've been wanting to see how long I can go at many times during the past few years. Now is a great time to follow through.
jr15aggie
AG
TV spot was indeed great! Everything we've seen looks great! Even if we had no knowledge of previous Star Wars movies these trailers would have me excited. There is no way this film isn't going to be incredible! We've been waiting 30+ years for another really good Star Wars movie.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I usually role my eyes at all that Mondo-type stuff, but that poster is legit amazing. So well done.

Two of my buds are obsessed with Mondo. Buy and resell tons of their stuff... That poster is def on another level though

Also, I'm sure its been talked about plenty but just wanted to say how awesome it was they showed the movie to the guy in Houston who is dying from Cancer. Very uplifting story.
jr15aggie
AG
Couple thoughts on the trailer:

This is totally Rey's movie and she is most definitely a Skywalker (be it by Luke or Han / Leia... My money says she is Luke's daughter). Also, first shot of her using the staff as a weapon!

Kylo deflects blaster shots like a boss!

We see an up close shot of X-Wings attacking "Starkiller base".

Falcon busting through trees is a money shot!
TCTTS
AG
Half-baked theory:

What if this movie is, in some way, an echo of Luke's basic arc from A New Hope, but told through multiple viewpoints? So far we have:

- A (probably) Force-sensitive adolescent orphaned on a desert planet, who, by chance at some point in the first act, not only meets an important droid, but mets Han Salo and Chewbacca as well, boards the Millennium Falcon, and ultimately gets swept up in a grand adventure because of said droid and Han (just like Luke with R2 and Han in the first act of A New Hope).

- Darth Vader and his original mission essentially being "channeled"/resurrected via Kylo to thwart / attempt to turn our heroes.

- Poe, looking very Luke Skywalker-esque, leading an X-Wing attack on Starkiller base, an attack that is blatantly reminiscent of the initial attack on the Death Star, as seen in the latest TV spot.

For whatever reason, this doesn't feel like lazy writing. Instead, the instances above feel like blatant winks at something bigger and more intentional going on. If so, and if this is the Force somehow, for whatever reason, echoing Luke's story in a way, A) why? B) how does Finn's viewpoint reflect another aspect of Luke's arc, if not A New Hope in a broader sense?

How cool would it be if Luke is so in-tune with the Force that the Force itself is essentially causing his story to echo/repeat itself, with whatever resources and characters are at a hand, but all in service to "save" Luke from himself or the Dark Side? Not that any of these characters are puppets or anything like that, but it would definitely be a unique answer to the question J.J. originally set out to answer: Who, exactly, is Luke Skywalker?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

SPOILERS! But right on... Holy cow that's totaly it! The Falcon escaping the resistances victory blowing up the Death Star.... Err... Star Killer base!

EDIT: it's very ROTJ.... Regular folk blowing up the big threat... Hero's escaping just in time.
jr15aggie
AG
To TCTTs post... Definitely. The more I sorta figure out the more it mirrors A New Hope. And you said it... It doesn't feel lazy... It feels like it fits with the universe.

The only problem is I'm figuring out too much.. That latest trailer and Brians post tells me too much about movie events and the fate of certain characters. Of course, I could be wrong, but it's starting to make too much sense.
AliasMan02
AG
I wonder if the destruction of the superweapon doesn't happen very early in the film, and much of what we've seen of Poe being captured/rescued isn't part of the fallout. One thing about Star Wars is that traditionally we open up in the middle of something already happening.

What if the opening crawl is about the Resistance launching a final assault against the Imperial remnant's superweapon, and it cuts right into the assault led by Poe?

I mention this because the superweapon thing doesn't feel like Kylo's jam. His purpose seems more personal. The Knights of Ren feel separate from the First Order, though we have seen that Kylo is a big part of that as well. But most of the time we see Kylo operating on his own, not flanked by FO troops.
AcctAg11
AG
Could it be a triangle kind of situation between Pope's side, the First Order, and the Knights of Ren?
jr15aggie
AG
I wouldn't be surprised by at least one big curve ball... Something we were certain of based on what they intentionally showed us in trailers. But the snow planet is the end though (the movie will open on Jakku). Even the Finn and Kylo duel is on the snow planet.

It's pretty easy to figure out each act of the movie, it's most of the little details that are unknown to me. I hope it stays that way
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Could it be a triangle kind of situation between Pope's side, the First Order, and the Knights of Ren?

Kylo is definitely part of the KoR and the FO, but they could definitely be distinct from each other.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'd say that's likely the case. In fact I was assuming that from the beginning. The Empire was never the Sith, and vice versa.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
really curious about who/what Maz really is. She has all of the interesting dialogue in the trailers and she's played by a young Oscar-winning actress doing mo-cap. Must be something pretty special.

30+ days away and still no pics or real knowledge of Andy Serkis or Max Von Sydow. JJ Abrams, I tip my secret-keeping hat to you.
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
That scene in empire where Luke tried to lift the x-wing out of the swamp with yodas reaction mirrors my reaction to 2012-2015 aggie football.
So if Luke is represented by either Kyle Allen or Kyler Murray and Yoda was by Sumlin, just about the time the X-wing comes fully out of the water, Luke stares in amazement, R2 beeps in excitement, then Yoda would slip in the mud, hit his head on a rock, and fall face first in the swamp. The X-wing crashes down smashing R2 into a thousands pieces and Luke wanders around mumbling something to himself about "supposed to be different this time but it's just tech, tu, and OU all over again".
bangobango
AG
I'll be disappointed if it's just A New Hope rehashed.

Also, I suspect that this has already been said, but I would expect the female lead to end up with a Darth Maul type light saber before it is all said and done.
jr15aggie
AG
From the international trailer: "Hope is not lost today, it is found". Safe to assume that is a direct reference to Luke in the same way A New Hope is also referring to Luke. The best thing about all this Luke secrecy is the audience (especially the day 1 crowd that I will be a part of) is gonna lose their mind when he shows up finally.

A 2nd viewing will be necessary simply because I'll probably miss certain dialogue pieces because of audience cheering! At least I hope so... I'll be disappointed if the theater I'm in isn't that kind of audience opening night.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If people are there opening night, they are the kind of people that will cheer.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I'll be disappointed if it's just A New Hope rehashed.
So JJ does an "Into Darkness" for Star Wars? While I think there will be clear parallels to A New Hope, but I don't see him doing a retread of A New Hope.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
From the international trailer: "Hope is not lost today, it is found". Safe to assume that is a direct reference to Luke in the same way A New Hope is also referring to Luke.
I'm not convinced that it is a reference to Luke. Personally, I'm thinking it is a reference to Rey.
First Page Last Page
Page 248 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.