Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,891,742 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by TCTTS
512Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Obviously.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Came up behind this trailer on my way home today and thought I was seeing things, but it really was a giant Imperial logo. Guy also had a stormtrooper bumper sticker on the truck.

SeattleAgJr
Cyprian
AG
quote:
Alright, here's the tentative/rumored schedule...

10/18 - SUNDAY
- Final theatrical poster will release in the A.M.

10/19 - MONDAY
- Roughly 8:00 PM Eastern - Final theatrical trailer will apparently debut just before kick-off, during the ESPN Monday Night Football pregame broadcast, with a simultaneous online release
- Roughly 8:30 PM Eastern - Tickets will go on sale
- Roughly 8:31 PM Eastern - The internet breaks.

Hopefully we get confirmation / exact times on Sunday with the release of the poster, if not in the next day or so.
FIFY
The Collective
AG
Too bad it can't be during Sunday Night Football (I know, I know, NBC). But it'd be funny if Costas dressed up like Luke from ROTJ to do the lead-in for the trailer.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
I honestly think their strategy here is when parents show up with kids to see Star Wars and it's all sold out, they will settle for the Chipmunks... because, hey, you do NOT want to shove those kids back in the car after you promised them a movie!
Not an unheard of strategy.

WAAAAYYYY back in '89, Disney opened up "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" against a little movie called "Batman." Expectations were low for the kid film, but massive overflow crowds who couldn't get in to see Batman wound up staying and buying tickets for the only other movie parents could take their kids to.

That movie ended up being a massive hit BECAUSE it opened the same weekend as a blockbuster. Well, that and it was inventive, original and really fun.

However, times are different now, with ticket pre-sales, online ordering and reserved seating. Back then, no one had any idea that Batman would have lines around the block at every theater (and I was in one). There were actual concerns the movie would flop. Crazy, but true.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
http://io9.com/heres-over-50-official-star-wars-force-awakens-images-1736551096
Chewbacca is in there, but not Han Solo.
Sure to be wrong prediction: Solo is killed by his son, Kylo.
Is this how people feel on the Game of Thrones non-readers thread when book readers go over there and pretend to make predictions like they don't already know what's going to happen?
I wouldn't worry about it. I've peaked at the spoiler websites (a lot in the past and very in recent months) and so far the story details have not leaked. The Han will die rumors go back to Ford himself saying that the best role Solo can play in future films is to die. Nobody knows for sure if Solo will live or die in Ep VII... and nobody knows for sure who/if there are any Skywalker or Solo babies.

The only thing we know for sure is who's in the movie... and 99% sure at least one person will be a Skywalker descendant (either by Luke or Leia) because Disney has said the "saga" films will still be centered around the Skywalker family.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'm not worried at all, I just think it's lame to pretend you're making a prediction with no knowledge of spoilers when your exact prediction has been labeled a spoiler all over the Internet and by sources on this forum.
The Collective
AG
WTF
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wasn't gonna say anything, but -- this.
jr15aggie
AG
Right... nobody knows jack.

But after this trailer on Sunday no doubt things are going to really blow up with speculation and connecting the dots on some past rumors. They won't be able to hold back the floodgates no matter how careful they are with what they show. It's pretty much gonna be up to us to avoid rumors at all cost until the film.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

wangus12
AG
Damn. I don't own a computer at home. It will be a struggle to get tickets
TCTTS
AG

quote:
Nobody knows for sure if Solo will live or die in Ep VII

Yes, they do. A lot more is known/confirmed about this movie than some of you think.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Shut it.
512Ag
AG
quote:
I'm not worried at all, I just think it's lame to pretend you're making a prediction with no knowledge of spoilers when your exact prediction has been labeled a spoiler all over the Internet and by sources on this forum.

Honestly, pretty much my only knowledge of anything going forward in the next episode is from this thread. That said, I don't read and haven't read it this thread in its entirety. I didn't know that prediction about Solo was out there. I'm not surprised it is, but I didn't know. I honestly was not trying to spoil anyone's fun or "pretend you're making a prediction with no knowledge of spoilers when your exact prediction has been labeled a spoiler all over the Internet and by sources on this forum." I looked at the link posted and reacted. Next time I'll scour the Internet for any possible spoilers that I might accidentally post because I didn't read everything ever written about Star Wars.
(Previous post edited, with my apology)
The Collective
AG
512Ag
AG
And I replied "obviously" because I thought your initial response was tongue-in-cheek. but I misread that, so my bad.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

quote:
Nobody knows for sure if Solo will live or die in Ep VII

Yes, they do. A lot more is known/confirmed about this movie than some of you think.
Really!? OK, so it looks like I've been a good boy and (so far) have avoided definite spoilers.

I've read a few things from these sites looking for spoilers and they are still unclear on many things, but perhaps there are certain items that they feel are 100% confirmed. I haven't seen any major details confirmed so that's good... time to stay away it sounds like!
jr15aggie
AG
From a conversation standpoint (I promise I know NOTHING on the subject)... it does seem like Han has to die before the midway point of this new trilogy. It's going to be really hard to move forward with a completely new cast of villains & heroes if we have somebody like Solo still hanging around who demands screen time.

Part of me thinks they will keep the tradition of triumphant/happy 1st movie... darker stuff in the 2nd... and resolution in the 3rd. If that happens it makes sense for Solo to go out in the 2nd movie. But I personally think this was a one-and-done sorta gig for Mr. Ford! My feeling has little to do with the Star Wars story and more to do with practicality of making films and the personal agendas of actors.

Anybody think he'll make it through all 3 films?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Probably just some dude trolling, though. Rated R and the fan poster kinda gives it away.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
quote:
Part of me thinks they will keep the tradition of triumphant/happy 1st movie... darker stuff in the 2nd... and resolution in the 3rd. If that happens it makes sense for Solo to go out in the 2nd movie. But I personally think this was a one-and-done sorta gig for Mr. Ford! My feeling has little to do with the Star Wars story and more to do with practicality of making films and the personal agendas of actors.

Obi-wan died in the first one.

so by that logic. Han dies in 7, parentage revealed in 8 and an appendage is chopped, someone is redeemed in 9.
The Collective
AG
I was about to say, you can still have tragedy in movie 1 of a trilogy (Obi Wan / Alderaan) and end it on a positive note.

TCTTS
AG
jeffk
AG
quote:
I was about to say, you can still have tragedy in movie 1 of a trilogy (Obi Wan / Alderaan) and end it on a positive note.

Wow. I must be a jerk - that's the first time I've even considered the fact that the destruction of Alderaan is a tragedy.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:

Wow. I must be a jerk - that's the first time I've even considered the fact that the destruction of Alderaan is a tragedy.
Luke's aunt and uncle getting murdered and charbroiled for no real reason wasn't exactly a picnic either
The Collective
AG
Edit: Muck just beat me to it.
jeffk
AG
That too.
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Let's not forget poor Greedo.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

We are typical Americans!

"something really bad happened"
"here?"
"no, some other place"
"oh, well that's sad... gonna watch the game tomorrow!?!"
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
and Jabba got his tail stepped on; he was there trying to collect a debt! that's just good business!

Other tragedies:

• R5D4 - did he ever get the bad motivator fixed?
  • R2D2 was knocked out of the top 25 in the Galactic DeJarik rankings because he let the wookie win
  • The stormtrooper who bumped his head on the Death Star didn't tell his superiors he was suffering from concussion-like symptoms and died 25 years later of a brain injury.
  • There was a talent scout at Chalumar's Cantina to see Figrin Dan and the Modal Nodes, and when Obi-Wan and Han interrupted their set with the violence, Figrin Dan tensed up and they didn't get the deal.
  • Unknown to most, Ponda Baba had been one of the foremost Aqualish trumpet players of the last 50 years, but Obi-Wan cut off his good hand and his talent was lost forever. You just can't replicate that kind of originality with an artificial hand.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To be fair, Leia seemed to get over her planet and family being destroyed pretty damn quick.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I had to google search about 3 different times. Well done.
Hulla Baller
AG
You do realize all of those people on the Death Star died right? So I don't think he was complaining for long.
First Page Last Page
Page 200 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.