Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,652 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's all about the crescendo to Ep 7.
SeattleAgJr
jr15aggie
AG
Star Wars Aftermath (none spoiler review/rant)

I'll start by confirming no spoilers... because NOTHING friggin happened in this book. You want the cliff notes... once upon a time in a galaxy far far away... a book name dropped a few characters such as Wedge Antilles & Admiral Ackbar and then proceeded to tell a story about other random characters you don't give a crap about. Want to know a little about it? OK, I'll tell you what happened:

Grammar: Oh, I'm sorry. I'm suppose to tell you what did happen... and grammar most definitely did not happen. Sometimes- in the way of, purposeful (not in the sense you think I said), pauses, such that can be defined - there is such a thing as piss poor writing. When you have to re-read sentences more than once and it still doesn't make sense... it's bad!!!

The Gays: Regardless of your feelings on gay rights, nobody likes to be force fed any social/political opinions when it has nothing to do with a story. This book went out of it's way to say, "Star Wars loves the gays" and it was downright inappropriate at one point. I kid you not, one character assumed a male character had a thing for a teenage boy when it was very awkwardly revealed this character didn't like chicks. But don't worry, there were at least 2 other additional gay references that felt equally forced into the story for no apparent reason.

Interlude: Are you frustrated with the pointless storyline of Aftermath? Well don't you worry, because the author was nice enough to include interludes every few chapters. Is each one completely random? Yes! Is each one equally unimportant to the Star Wars universe? You betcha! Is it wasteful filler material that was most likely added after the book was finished to make the novel appear larger than it actually is? Absofreakinlutely!!!

The Story Summary: Star Wars... some stuff happened... the end.

Final Grade:

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
latest from my 3 year old twin girls, who continue to like Star Wars despite mommy's opposition.

Darth Vader made lots of red choices.
Darth Vader left his school early.
The big party at the end is not a birthday party.
Obi Kenobi doesn't look like a ghost because he's not scary.
Luke puts Yoda's blanket on because Yoda needs a nap.
Darth Vader is mean to his son.
Princess Leia lives in a castle.
Admiral Ackbar is a fish like on Daddy's shirt.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Luke puts Yoda's blanket on because Yoda needs a nap.
pimplepopper
AG
New trailer released.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That editing was fantastic.
jr15aggie
AG
Thought it was real at first... Vote it down.
AliasMan02
AG
Aftermath was not good, especially the writing, but I think your review missed on two big points in your review.

1. The use of new characters was a huge plus. I know you think you want more adventures of Luke and Han and Leia, but you really don't. Making them, especially Luke, the sole focus of the EU was a critical error by Lucas and ultimately led to its demise. Authors quickly ran out of good Luke stories, so we got junk. Whether you liked the new characters or not is another matter, but assembling a new band of heroes is the right move, just as it was the right move for Rebels.

2. The interludes were VERY important, not to the story, but to bridging over to Episode 7. I suspect you just began skipping them out of dislike, but there is a ton of great info and foreshadowing in there. The events on Taris in particular will, I think, carry over. I'm actually convinced that we'll see Taris in Ep 7, as it has been mentioned extensively in the new canon.
TCTTS
AG
Looking more and more like it's going to be November...

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/10/star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-done/

Such an unconventional move, but with Abrams running the show, I guess it makes sense. At this point, if I had to guess, surely the final trailer will debut with Spectre on November 6th (which just happens to be my birthday). There's nothing big out the next weekend (the 13th) and there's no way they way 'til the 20th with Mockingjay Part 2. That would be less than a month before the film's release.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Aftermath was not good, especially the writing, but I think your review missed on two big points in your review.

1. The use of new characters was a huge plus. I know you think you want more adventures of Luke and Han and Leia, but you really don't. Making them, especially Luke, the sole focus of the EU was a critical error by Lucas and ultimately led to its demise. Authors quickly ran out of good Luke stories, so we got junk. Whether you liked the new characters or not is another matter, but assembling a new band of heroes is the right move, just as it was the right move for Rebels.

2. The interludes were VERY important, not to the story, but to bridging over to Episode 7. I suspect you just began skipping them out of dislike, but there is a ton of great info and foreshadowing in there. The events on Taris in particular will, I think, carry over. I'm actually convinced that we'll see Taris in Ep 7, as it has been mentioned extensively in the new canon.
Good points... I'll clarify some of my feelings:

1. Agreed that all Star Wars stories don't have to involve Han, Leia, Luke... but the marketing that I saw advertised this particular series of books at the bridge between ROTJ & Force Awakens. I don't really care about the countless comics, books, etc. that are sure to release... I only want the main story stuff. This book was very far from being part of the main story. The Thrawn trilogy, for example, was very much a continuation of the saga... I have no idea what the heck Aftermath is other than a poorly written story in the Star Wars universe.

2. I actually did NOT skip the interludes. Still didn't really see the point. Again, I'm sure there will be some connecting points to the expanded universe, but they are so minor I don't really care. Even the interlude about Han/Chewie was nothing more than a brief glimpse at something that was about to happen, but no actual meat to the story.

Overall, I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the book at all. The last 50 pages or so were somewhat enjoyable as the action picked up. But if they are really going to make a bridge between Ep VI & Ep VII, go ahead and wait until after Force Awakens and give us a true set of books that really chronicles what the heck happens with our heros and how The First Order, etc. come to be.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What the ****
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it's pretty weird. On one hand, we're 10 WEEKS from the release, and I'm kind of shocked at how little we've seen from what will likely be the highest grossing movie of all time. I would have bet that there would be way more footage revealed at this point. I can't remember the last we had only heard ONE small chunk of dialogue from a blockbuster 10 weeks before it hit theaters. That said, it's almost kind of refreshing, and I love that we won't already feel inundated with Star Wars come November.
jr15aggie
AG
Honestly I'm just happy the entire story hasn't leaked yet. This time last year it started to feel like there was no way they could keep it all concealed. And I know there was a discussion on this thread about how trailers can spoil too much of a movie.

I really want a new trailer though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If the trailer really is ready, I just don't understand the point of holding it until November.

You know you'll get the box office. Why not get an extra month of pre-release hype from the trailer? Especially if tickets are really going on sale this month.
Malachi Constant
AG
Put me in the camp of less-is-more with this one. The box office will be there regardless. I'm happy going in with tons of unknowns.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Knife_Party
quote:
If the trailer really is ready, I just don't understand the point of holding it until November.

You know you'll get the box office. Why not get an extra month of pre-release hype from the trailer? Especially if tickets are really going on sale this month.

Maybe I'm unique, but I have to say that over the last week my inner hype has died down significantly. I just can't stay that hyped for that long without more of the drug.
jr15aggie
AG
Seems like it would make perfect sense to launch the trailer this month and at the end have a large "Tickets on sale now" notification. Seems like the perfect way to open up ticket sales and possibly the perfect way to ensure this is the largest "pre-order" of any movie ever.

I know I'll be buying my ticket ASAP for an early Friday showing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm sure the same is true for a lot of people. No matter how big the movie, no new trailers or clips in over six months will kill some of the hype. Especially with the non die hard fans.
Urban Ag
AG
if you have kids you can't hardly get away from the hype right now. It's everywhere.

Anyway....was getting a haircut a couple of weeks ago and ran in to this young disabled guy that works at our local theater. He told me the managers were already asking the staff to volunteer for extra shifts from 12/18 through the first week of January and they basically would be going nearly round the clock from release up thru new years. Already were hiring temps and offering premiums wages to work the holidays.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
For my entry in the countdown today, I share an op/ed piece I did for the podunk newspaper I worked for in 1999. I was 25 at the time, writing about sports, but spent 3 months lobbying the managing editor to let me write a column on May 19, 1999, to celebrate the opening of The Phantom Menace. And here it is.

A long time ago, in a neighborhood about 30 miles away...
I made a new friend in the summer of 1977 when I was 3-and-1/2 years old. His name was George.
George had the coolest toys around, and he let everyone play with them. He came back to visit in 1980 and 1983, and brought more and more toys, both new and old.

Once again, he allowed me full access to his treasure trove of imagination, and like a million other kids, I fell in love with his world.
Then, George went away, and I hardly ever heard from him. I could still visit his world when I wanted to, but it was, after all, George's story, and I wanted to hear the rest of it.
In the meantime, I grew up, and though I longed for George's return, as the years went by, the hope faltered bit by bit.
Now, George is back and he's done something so wonderful it's hard to believe -- he's made us all kids again.

Today, the first leg of the journey will be complete, when The Phantom Menace opens across the United States and starts its progression toward shattering pretty-boy Leonardo DiCaprio's Titanic success of 1997.
I'm one of those 20-something-year-old guys who has talked about this movie non-stop since it was announced more than two years ago. I'm the one who's reading all the speculation posted on the Internet. In short, I'm the guy that the media chuckles at and the rest of the country labels a sci-fi geek.
Damn right.

I love the Star Wars universe.
I hope everyone has something in their lives that harnesses their imagination and captivates their sense of whimsy and adventure the way Star Wars does for me.
I believe in the world that George Lucas has created. I believe in the classic mythology behind the story and I believe in the lessons Lucas preaches via such oddly-named disciples as Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader and now Qui-Gon Jinn.
In some ways, Star Wars inspired me to be a writer, because it made me use my imagination and I realized how much I liked that.

I have loved George Lucas' universe since that first day in 1977. After my dad took my brother Adam and I to see the film for the first time, we made a trip to Target where my dad bought us each two action figures.
Adam chose Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader; I opted for R2-D2 and C-3PO. We had broken Vader's lightsaber by the time we got home.

Over the course of the next six years, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi made motion-picture history and laid the foundation for 20th Century Fox to become a major player in the entertainment industry.
In my own world, I spent every cent of my allowance on Star Wars action figures, space ships and play sets. Every Christmas and birthday was a chance to add one more ship, speeder or stormtrooper to my arsenal.
My collection of spaceships -- highlighted by the Millennium Falcon and an AT-AT (that's All-Terrain, Armored Transport for the unenlightened) -- gave me enough firepower to take over the neighborhood.

Via the Internet's 47 Phantom-related sites, my fellow fans and I scavenged the Internet for plot details, pictures and insider information on the new movies for the past two years.
But no matter how much I read or how many behind-the-scenes pictures were posted, nothing could prepare me for last November when the Episode I teaser trailer hit movie theaters.
Adam, my dad and I purchased tickets to the deplorable film The Waterboy to catch the first glimpses of our return trip to the Star Wars universe.

When the Lucasfilm logo came up, chills ran rampant on my spine and two minutes and 10 seconds later, when the Episode I title shot came flying up, I realized I had been holding my breath the whole time and needed some oxygen.

Last Wednesday morning, I drove to my local Tinsletown to stand in line for tickets. At 7:30 a.m., I was the 135th person in line. By 2:00 p.m. when tickets went on sale, there were 871 people waiting.

In The Empire Strikes Back, Luke tells a skeptical Yoda that he's ready to be a Jedi.
"Ready, what know you of ready?" the diminutive Master retorts.
Today, 22 years after it all began, I'm ready to go home again.
The Force is back.

Malachi Constant
AG
This is probably the best thread that exists for Star Wars on the whole internet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Fantastic. This part made me laugh.
quote:
Today, the first leg of the journey will be complete, when The Phantom Menace opens across the United States and starts its progression toward shattering pretty-boy Leonardo DiCaprio's Titanic success of 1997.
Also, I'm about the same age now that you were for TPM. (Two years older, but close enough.) It's crazy how much things have changed in the past 16 years. (47 TPM sites? Ha!)
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I think I made that number up back then, although I really don't remember now. I do remember the guy I sat in line behind to get tickets ate 11 krispy kreme doughnuts during the wait. I imagine he's dead by now.

And I'm still have oodles of Star Wars crap to fill the next 70+ days with
TCTTS
AG
Alright, I did some more digging in regards to the trailer. Looks like that October 19 date is definitely still in play...

http://www.starwars7news.com/2015/10/is-the-full-trailer-for-star-wars-the-force-awakens-coming-on-october-19th.html

http://starwarstime.com/2015/10/06/confirmation-october-19th-trailer-release-date/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good enough for me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
The story behind that tweet/pic is AWESOME...

http://io9.com/the-director-of-star-wars-episode-viii-is-totally-messi-1735032937
amercer
AG
quote:
The story behind that tweet/pic is AWESOME...

http://io9.com/the-director-of-star-wars-episode-viii-is-totally-messi-1735032937

That's awesome
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So dumb. Laughably ham-fisted as well, but mostly just dumb.

jr15aggie
AG
What a jerk move... We are impatiently awaiting a friggin trailer for EP VII, and this guy roles up and is all, "hey guys, EP VIII is a real thing and I know what happens!"
wangus12
AG
That's pretty gay
The Collective
AG
I almost wish there was no trailer or nothing shown in the trailer at this point. We are so close, and I feel like I know very little. I'd like it to stay that way, but I don't have the self control to avoid the trailer or people's commentary on it.
First Page Last Page
Page 193 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.