Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,889,032 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:

Love SW, but this is still the stupidest fighter design in all fiction. Horses with blinders have a better field of vision.
Ha! never thought about that. Design 10... functionality 1!!!

I'm sure if you asked Lucas you would get a rant about how it was on purpose... how tie pilots were trained to have nerves of steel and unparalleled focus on their targets. The tie design eliminates external distractions and makes them deadly accurate for any and all targets that get in front of them.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Shooting for Episode VIII is starting this month in Ireland.

So in a few weeks, we can say that there are THREE Star Wars films currently in production. That is just nuts to think about.

Duncan Idaho
Awesome. I can completely see Lucas saying something like that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, TIE fighters and pilots are meant to be expendable, so there's that.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
94 ... as in Docking Bay 94. Amazing to think that Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi were in the same place within a few hours of each other some 22 years after they met at Jango's condo on Kamino. If they had only crossed paths, now that's a fan fic

On another note, there's a comic book store in Florida actually named Docking Bay 94. Pretty awesome name.

MGS
By the way, shouldn't scouts also have a good field of view?

MSCAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Love SW, but this is still the stupidest fighter design in all fiction. Horses with blinders have a better field of vision.
Ha! never thought about that. Design 10... functionality 1!!!

I'm sure if you asked Lucas you would get a rant about how it was on purpose... how tie pilots were trained to have nerves of steel and unparalleled focus on their targets. The tie design eliminates external distractions and makes them deadly accurate for any and all targets that get in front of them.
I guess you could say the sensors are integrated into the pilot's helmet and he has a "digital view."

Even though with TIE interceptors, they clearly were made with a cut out in the solar panels to increase visual view.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Even though with TIE interceptors, they clearly were made with a cut out in the solar panels to increase visual view.
I'm pretty sure the correct answer is for the design of all tie fighter models is, "We made them look cool"
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Shooting for Episode VIII is starting this month in Ireland.

So in a few weeks, we can say that there are THREE Star Wars films currently in production. That is just nuts to think about.

I hope that isn't going to make it difficult to contain spoilers in terms of cast members that are / are not on set between now and December (deaths?).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
True. Although they could easily have people show up to set to throw everyone off. (I'm looking at you Harrison.)
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Darth Bruhs... Cameras, easy fix...
jabberwalkie09
AG
Saw this on imgur: https://imgur.com/gallery/QPijF
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
don't think this was posted.

R2-D2 787 paint job for Nippon airlines. ( There is a BB-8 one as well)
[url=http://www.geekwire.com/2015/r2-d2-takes-to-the-skies-with-anas-new-dreamliner-787-9/][/url]

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/r2-d2-takes-to-the-skies-with-anas-new-dreamline-787-9/

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Posted them a few pages back, but that's still a cool picture.

Here's the video in your link:
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Posted them a few pages back, but that's still a cool picture.

Here's the video in your link:

I wish I had known they were doing that Saturday, that would have been fun to go out to
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Been awfully quiet on the news front since Force Friday. Hopefully we'll get something this week - a poster, a tv spot, anything.

jabberwalkie09
AG
Well, there is supposed to be a new teaser coming for Rebels this week. All is quiet on the TFA front....

Anyways, saw this for fun:
https://i.imgur.com/r8qbMB8.webm
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Got a mail-order Halloween costume catalog in the mail yesterday featuring Kylo Ren, Rey, Captain Phasma and Finn costumes.

I appreciate the capitalism at play here, but doesn't it seem weird to advertise the costumes for a movie not out yet?

Ding Dong!
Neighbor opens door
All: "Trick or treat!"
Neighbor: "Oh my, I'm so frightened! Who are you all supposed to be?"
Boy #1: "I'm Kylo Ren, bleah!"
Neighbor: "Oh dear, and what is it you do?:
Boy #1: "Ummmm, I have a lightsaber and I .... raise my hand at the camera and .... well that's all I know right now."
Neighbor: "Hmm, OK, here's an apple slice for you, lame-o."
(Turns to girl)
Neighbor: "And who are you supposed to be, dear!"
Girl #1: "I'm Rey! I live on a desert planet and I run with a large stick!"
Neighbor: "Oh, OK ... do you use the stick for something? Fighting maybe?"
Girl #2: "Not sure so far, but definitely running!"
Neighbor: "Here's a pack of gum for you."
Neighbor: "And you are?"
Boy #2: "I"m Finn! I'm a stormtrooper who doesn't like storming anymore!"
Neighbor: "Finally, some character development! So what makes you leave the service?"
Boy #2: "Ummm, we shoot somebody, maybe? Even though I was probably shooting people the whole time... or because someone puts a bloody hand print on my white helmet? Not really sure!"
Neighbor: "Here, take these extra-strength tylenol and come back in 2016."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And here's a full size Snickers for you, Vader.
Urban Ag
AG
How big a deal is The Force Awakens?

Airliners painting their planes like Star Wars characters.

Think about that.

Biggest movie event of our lifetime.
Urban Ag
AG
or to quote JJ........"how incredible.....is that?"

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well to be fair, NZ planes did that for LOTR and Hobbit movies.

But yeah, doesn't mean this movie isn't gonna be a massive global phenomenon. This will be Phantom Menace with an extra generation thrown in, plus more hype due to the return of Luke, Han, and Leia, plus the hype machine that is the internet, which hadn't really taken off yet in 1999.

Throw in the fact that this movie may turn out really good? Sky's the limit. Avatar is in trouble.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I would say that Phantom Menace was a bigger movie event.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think it felt like a bigger event because of the "lining up weeks in advance" aspect, which is now obsolete. But as far as pure numbers go, I just don't see how this one doesn't get more asses in seats on opening weekend than Phantom Menace did.

Who knows though, you may be right. It's tough to call since it's December.

While we're on the subject, how would people feel about having a "pick-em" tourney for predicting the box office for TFA? (I'm thinking opening weekend thru fifth weekend, domestic total, and international total.)

Someone smarter than me would have to volunteer to set up the scoring system though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
One day earlier in Britain?

I kid, I kid.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
I think it felt like a bigger event because of the "lining up weeks in advance" aspect, which is now obsolete. But as far as pure numbers go, I just don't see how this one doesn't get more asses in seats on opening weekend than Phantom Menace did.

Who knows though, you may be right. It's tough to call since it's December.

While we're on the subject, how would people feel about having a "pick-em" tourney for predicting the box office for TFA? (I'm thinking opening weekend thru fifth weekend, domestic total, and international total.)

Someone smarter than me would have to volunteer to set up the scoring system though.

I think it really was a bigger event because the Star Wars universe was dead. There hadn't been a new movie in 16 years. Why would there ever be a new movie? And then there was? Now while the $$ will surely be bigger for Ep7, I don't think the shock to the Star Wars universe is nearly as impactful. It's just another new sequel that hopefully is a lot better than the other sequels we didn't really like as much.
BMX Bandit
It's probably because we have full blown Internet & social media now, but this feels much much bigger to me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wouldn't this movie be the more unexpected one? After the OT, Lucas had already made it known that they were actually episodes 4, 5, and 6.

Sure, he didn't made any indication he'd be making 1, 2, and 3 anytime soon, but wasn't it always somewhat expected they happen eventually?

On the other hand, after ROTS, Lucas made it pretty clear he was done. No more movies; that's the end of the story.

I don't know about anyone else, but the day it was announced Disney had acquired Lucasfilm and was planning a new trilogy, I was floored. I never expected to see another Star Wars movie, much less see the original characters again.
jr15aggie
AG
Hey Brian... still waiting on that new trailer brah!!!
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Wouldn't this movie be the more unexpected one? After the OT, Lucas had already made it known that they were actually episodes 4, 5, and 6.

Sure, he didn't made any indication he'd be making 1, 2, and 3 anytime soon, but wasn't it always somewhat expected they happen eventually?

On the other hand, after ROTS, Lucas made it pretty clear he was done. No more movies; that's the end of the story.

I don't know about anyone else, but the day it was announced Disney had acquired Lucasfilm and was planning a new trilogy, I was floored. I never expected to see another Star Wars movie, much less see the original characters again.

I don't really think so. Things were different then without the internet, but I feel like the existence of another 3 or 6 movies was always one of those rumors you hear on the playground, but there didn't really feel like there was anything to it.

With the sequel/prequel $$$$ that exist in Hollywood today, I wouldn't assume that any movie franchise ever won't be resurrected/rebooted 5, 10 , 15 years down the road.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I see your point, but when a film franchise is independently owned, it's untouchable unless the owner sells. Lucas could've taken SW to the grave.

And jr15, we're only halfway through September.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
I see your point, but when a film franchise is independently owned, it's untouchable unless the owner sells. Lucas could've taken SW to the grave.

And jr15, we're only halfway through September.

If you honestly thought that there never was going to be another Star Wars movie after they made several billion dollars with the last trilogy, then I guess you could have that opinion.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And I would say the same to you about the PT.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Fair enough. It was a different era though.
First Page Last Page
Page 182 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.