Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,887,800 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The prequels were flawed but so was Return of the Jedi. I never understood how the prequels could be bashed the way they were all the while Return of the Jedi being so praised for being a good movie. I think if Return of the Jedi came out in the late 90s with updated effects, it would be bashed almost as much as the prequels.
double aught
AG
No way. Despite its flaws, it still has far better characters.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'd let every Ewok on the forest moon of Endor punch me in the face every day for a year if it meant getting the entire Gungan species wiped out of the PT. That battle scene was the worst of the worst for me of the prequels. Worse than I don't like sand, worse than Anakin surfing on the back of the herbivore on the day he and Padme play Endless Love in the meadow, worse than General Grievous' cough.
double aught
Malachi Constant
AG
I would have at least made the extra points.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There's some pretty cringeworthy scenes involving Ewoks. Both Ewoks and Gungans should've been erased. Wookiees would've been great in Jedi.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Return of the Jedi is the Temple of Doom of Star Wars. Its better than Attack of the Clones and Phantom Menace but I don't think its any better than Revenge of the Sith.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anyway, back to the Force Awakens discussion -- Force Friday is coming up in two weeks, September 4th. That'll be the launch day for all the toys and merchandise for TFA, including the new book, Star Wars Aftermath (which is part of the new canon and will set up Force Awakens).

I expect the marketing/media blitz to really kick off around that day as well. The trailer should be dropping sometime in September, and maybe a TV spot or two?

Can't wait for this to really get started. As Gandalf would say, this feels like the "deep breath before the plunge".
jabberwalkie09
AG
Regarding the Ewoks....
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Throughout my life I have heard people all the time talk about how "I could have done a better job than that!" and there are two instances in which I truly feel I could have done a better job:

1. 2002 Football game vs. Texas Tech - our FG kicker missed TWO Extra points. I can say honestly that I could have gone down there and done a better job. I kicked extra points in high school football.

Todd Pegram is the most wrongfully maligned player in Aggie history. He did not miss two wxtra points in that game.

quote:
2. The story for the prequel trilogy. I am a complete amateur writer, I've never had anything published, but I could have done a better job than what we got.

No argument.
TCTTS
AG
Sounds like the next/final trailer will be around the end of September. So, basically, that whole month will apparently be an extended TFA marketing kickoff/blitz.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
The prequels were flawed but so was Return of the Jedi. I never understood how the prequels could be bashed the way they were all the while Return of the Jedi being so praised for being a good movie. I think if Return of the Jedi came out in the late 90s with updated effects, it would be bashed almost as much as the prequels.

Everyone I know (and that I also respect) ranks them like this

Empire

Star wars

Revenge of the jedi

Revenge of the sith

Clone wars

Phantom
jabberwalkie09
AG
By clone wars do you mean AOTC?
TCTTS
AG
Phantom is better than Clones, no question. It may even be better than Sith. Hayden Christensen absolutely ruins those two movies.
Velvet Jones
AG
Everyone you know ranks Star Wars movies?

Duncan Idaho
quote:
By clone wars do you mean AOTC?

Yeah sorry aboit that
Saxsoon
AG
Clones is easily the worst of the prequels.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Phantom is better than Clones, no question. It may even be better than Sith. Hayden Christensen absolutely ruins those two movies.

That may be true....the lowered expectations and general numbness that had set in by the time sith rolled around has been argued as a reason as to why we hated phantom more.

Edit for clarity
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
It's probably not a better movie than ROTS, but I get the most enjoyment out of TPM personally, of the three. It was the first SW movie I saw in theaters, and the one that pretty much got me into Star Wars. And I never get tired of seeing the Darth Maul fight at the end.

Same way that Fellowship is my personal favorite of the LOTR.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, right there with you.
Thunder18
AG
I can't put Phantom over Sith due to Jar Jar alone
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

quote:
Everyone I know (and that I also respect) ranks them like this

Revenge of the jedi

Everyone you know calls it by the wrong name?

Fellowship of the Ring is my most enjoyable LOTR movie as well because it's so lovingly made. All the shire scenes that people who hadn't given the books don't give 2 ****s about are just gorgeous and such a realization if you grew up loving those books. I love the first 10 minutes or so of the TPM - Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon doing serious Jedi stuff; Qui-Gon cutting through the door, the early appearance of Holo-Sidious, but Jar Jar kills it, absolutely ruins the seriousness of the movie, not that everyone doesn't already know that.
Duncan Idaho
Revenge was the title on he first poster I saw for the movie. And on at least one card for my action figures....stupid kid for playing with them
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I had never read the books and I absolutely love the Shire scenes. You really got a sense of what Hobbits were all about. And that music.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Revenge of the Jedi is a pretty badass-sounding name, but it goes completely against the moral code of the Jedi. Lucas was right to change it.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Revenge of the Jedi Trailer

Urban Ag
AG
The ewoks were cheesy. Well, at the time I was 9 and loved them but in hindsight they were pretty bad.

But they were still 10x better than the Gungan BS. At least in the ewok battle, ewoks killed Stormtroopers, real live soldiers. They smashed them with rocks and beat their heads in with primitive clubs. Never mind the fact that tiny furry being somehow hung two massive logs in the air and got a walker to step in between them - that mofo in the cab got squashed like a cockroach. And.....ewoks died, as in, it's war and some of them actually caught a few lazers.

Compared to the Gungan/Droid battle, the ewoks/Stormtroopers was like Saving Private Ryan. Night and day.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's what's so bad about Ewoks. Furry little teddy bears killing so many of the Emperor's "best troops".

Gungans are goofy as hell but at least it's believable that they can put together an attack and take down a bunch of droids.

And if we could ignore the goofiness and slapstick nature of the Gungans, this was actually pretty ambitious for 1999. And technically, very cool-looking.

Urban Ag
AG
yeah, they kicked some droid ass with the magic bowling balls and ricochet riot shields!

What you seem to forget though, is that the ewoks had Han and Chewie. An entire legion of the finest troops didn't stand a chance.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
What's scary to ponder is: Why did the Gungans have all those weapons that were really effective against mechanical and electrical systems? They didn't use fancy tech themselves.

Answer: They were building up to invade Theed and subjugate the Naboo. Nute Gunray, Rune Haako, Lott Dodd, and the rest of the "I let my kids name these characters" brigade saved Amidala and the Nubians from being ruled by Rasta-frogs for 500 years.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What's a Nubian?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I don't know, what's a Nubian with you?
Bruce Almighty
AG
If we're ranking

Empire
Star Wars

Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones
jeffk
AG
Nubia is an ancient civilization located near the headwaters of the Nile.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Guess nobody got the reference.
First Page Last Page
Page 163 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.