Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,191 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The punchline at 16:15

You'll have to watch it to find out, hahaha
joemeister
AG
Attacking Porkins' sacrifice was a low blow!

In all seriousness, that was a really interesting video.
jabberwalkie09
AG
God, I hadn't realized the amount of shaky cam usage JJ indulges in.

BTW, the punchline at the end was pretty good.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good video.
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
There's just so many layers of visual bullsh** in the way

Malachi Constant
AG
sparks sparks remember I said sparks!
Urban Ag
AG
I'm pretty sure this is a factory that produces sparks
fig96
AG
I would play the heck out of this...
EDIT: Boo...Vimeo doesn't embed like YouTube.

http://vimeo.com/134114179
YouBet
AG
quote:

If he employs that in these movies I might find my own bounty hunter and put a contract on JJ's head.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Wow. I've always wanted to see someone really breakdown Abrams' style, and this guy does an incredible job. Just so cool and informative to see. Also, the narrator has kind of a weird delivery/voice, but his humor is pretty great. Actually laughed out loud a couple of times during this...

Wish he could have taken a bit more of a look at the clips we did have and dissect them the way he did Star Trek and Mission Impossible. Otherwise an enjoyable video even if most of the stuff he took issue with didn't bother me as much (though I can see why they can be movie cinematography sins)
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

If he employs that in these movies I might find my own bounty hunter and put a contract on JJ's head.

How the movie is shot is one of the big question marks, I think. Has JJ said anything about keeping the filming style, the wipes, etc.?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Saw the trailer for the first time today on the big screen before ant- man and it was glorious. It just makes me even more excited thinking that in five months, TFA will be here.
double aught
AG
Gotta have those wipes.
Cyprian
AG
From some of his commentary, JJ is at least self-aware of some criticisms revolving around lens flare, etc, so I would like to think he will tone it back some and be better here. While I think he will certainly have some of that, I don't expect it to be overboard like it was in some of his past movies.

It never bothered me too much in his past movies, but I can see how some don't like it.
joemeister
AG
Lens flare doesn't bother me. But I know plenty of people, my father included, who get bad headaches when trying to watch movies filmed with too much shaky cam.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
From some of his commentary, JJ is at least self-aware of some criticisms revolving around lens flare, etc, so I would like to think he will tone it back some and be better here. While I think he will certainly have some of that, I don't expect it to be overboard like it was in some of his past movies.

It never bothered me too much in his past movies, but I can see how some don't like it.

If anything that was my biggest takeaway that he can take constructive criticism and realize when some shots don't turn out as well as he hoped
AliasMan02
AG
Didn't he dial it way back in Star Trek 2 after some criticism?
Bruce Almighty
AG
The lens flare hate has always been overplayed.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Didn't he dial it way back in Star Trek 2 after some criticism?
I think so. But as that video said, there was so much visual bull**** at other times in the movie too.
OnlyForNow
AG
The visual bull**** is what gets me. The example they used of the ship firing on the star fleet board meeting was a great example, who the hell knows what happened??? No one because it was such a gawd-awful mess!
fig96
AG
quote:
Wow. I've always wanted to see someone really breakdown Abrams' style, and this guy does an incredible job. Just so cool and informative to see. Also, the narrator has kind of a weird delivery/voice, but his humor is pretty great. Actually laughed out loud a couple of times during this...

Finally watched this, really interesting stuff.

I have a few nitpicks with his critique, particularly the opening sequence to MI3. I can see how one might have an issue with the closeups, though I kind of saw it as this interpretation of Ethan Hunt's "personal" world where he's playing more of a character in this party environment where he really doesn't fit in, vs the real world he operates in as an agent. The other closeups later on in the film are certainly overused, however.

Also, Alice Eve...wow.
YouBet
AG
I can't keep all of my threads straight but I think we talked about John Williams on here. I just went and checked out his resume because I've never really looked at it. Holy sh^t.

That guy is the alpha and omega of film music.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Followed closely by James Horner (RIP), Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, etc.
LE_Funt
AG
quote:
I can't keep all of my threads straight but I think we talked about John Williams on here. I just went and checked out his resume because I've never really looked at it. Holy sh^t.

That guy is the alpha and omega of film music.
Tuesday morning at 2:30am there's a replay of Great Performances where the LA philharmonic plays John Williams music, if interested.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Followed closely by James Horner (RIP), Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, etc.
John Williams

Whoever's in second.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was gonna make a similar post. There's people behind Williams, but nobody is a close second.

quote:
Williams has won five Academy Awards, four Golden Globe Awards, seven British Academy Film Awards, and 22 Grammy Awards. With 49 Academy Award nominations, Williams is the second most-nominated individual, after Walt Disney.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I hesitate to call this news, but I know there have been rumors of a Star Wars based Netflix series. However, this is the first bit that I have read about possibly multiple series.

http://www.cinelinx.com/tv/item/8034-star-wars-live-action-tv-update-netflix-bound-exclusive.html

EDIT: And a link on the same subject from Making Star Wars.
http://makingstarwars.net/2015/07/disney-planning-multiple-live-action-star-wars-shows-on-netflix/
Red Five
AG
Dear Santa,

I promise I will never, ever, ever ask for anything ever again if you give me an X-wing series.

Your pal,
Red Five
Karrde
AG
Need a drama/action rogue squadron series, then spin off a more lighthearted wraith squadron series.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Need a drama/action rogue squadron series, then spin off a more lighthearted wraith squadron series.
On board.
PatAg
AG
I want to own a shirt with this graphic on it. How many credits?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I want to own a shirt with this graphic on it. How many credits?
Money, not credits. Republic credits aren't good out here. I haven't actually seen that on a shirt though.

Edit because I can't spell apparently....
jeffk
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ok, Mark Hamill autographs are hilarious.

http://imgur.com/a/8ketU
fig96
AG
Those are fantastic. And I wish I still had my original Star Wars cards around...
First Page Last Page
Page 150 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.