Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,495 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He's married.
Red Five
AG
Pretty sure he was referencing Harrison's level of enthusiasm and interaction at the panel.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saxsoon
AG
Harrison looks great, but he sounded OOLLLLDDDD. And while you know Han and Star Wars was something special that really kicked off his career, he definitely was the least interested cast member (maybe Fisher) on the stage. Sometimes he played along, and others like the where did you think Han would be question and it just seems he was ready to leave this part of his past in the grave.
COOL LASER FALCON
Compared to other PR stuff I've seen him do, he was practically turning backflips up there.
jr15aggie
AG
ROFL... It's a trap!!!!

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Compared to other PR stuff I've seen him do, he was practically turning backflips up there.
This. If you think Harrison wasn't engaged, you haven't seen every interview he's done in the last 5-8 years. He checked out of the Hollywood pimp and promo game a long time ago, probably after that nightmare of a movie he mad with Josh Hartnett. I was surprised he even was there, and he was really into talking about the direction of the character and his movie. I think at some point in the last 1-2 years he figured out what a colossal A-hole he had turned into, and decided maybe he could start giving half a s*it again.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:
This. If you think Harrison wasn't engaged, you haven't seen every interview he's done in the last 5-8 years. He checked out of the Hollywood pimp and promo game a long time ago, probably after that nightmare of a movie he mad with Josh Hartnett. I was surprised he even was there, and he was really into talking about the direction of the character and his movie. I think at some point in the last 1-2 years he figured out what a colossal A-hole he had turned into, and decided maybe he could start giving half a s*it again.

I don't think he has changed. It's not that he is an *******, but I just think that he is not a super fan of anything like all these people are. He has never put up with these kind of questions, like "where did you imagine you were?" because honestly he is not nerdy enough to care (for the record, I am nerdy enough to care). And I think that, combined with sometimes brutal honesty, makes him come across as uninterested, or being an ahole. When in reality he seems to love this more than anything I have seen him do since the 80's.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Harrison knows he is Comic Con royalty. He knows that looking even remotely interested/happy to be there will be a huge deal to the fans.

He either made a decision to embrace this whole circus once and for all, or JJ has re-invigorated his interest, OR --

***THEORY/SPOILER***

He finally got the Han death he always wanted and he is feeling tremendous relief that it's finally over.

*** End theory ***
codenameduchess
AG
He's definitely gotten more and more grouchy as he's gotten older, and it's showed in some of his recent work. It's been really frustrating to witness since he has played my most favorite and influential roles in movies (Han, Indiana, and Deckard). I remember reading that Abrams met with him before shooting, and told him essentially he would NOT be a grouchy a$$ in this movie. It seems like maybe he's taken it to heart because that was the most enthused and I've seen him in years.

As far as how he usually is in interviews, you have to remember they cause him anxiety and so he generally hates doing them. You could tell he was nervous with his hand movement and slight quiver in his voice.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
This. And also, Hamill is really rocking that beard. Guy looks great.
Agreed... I really like grisly Luke Skywalker... very apropos
SpreadsheetAg
AG
It does always seem like Harrison plays parts where he's snarky, pessimistic, egotistical, or a general wise ass... (nerf-herder?) ...

Anyways, it would be nice to see him play a more upbeat and optimistic kind of role.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Never knew this:

quote:
There's something quite dispiriting about the thought of R2-D2 and C-3PO not getting along, but actors Kenny Baker and Anthony Daniels are a pair who you'd do well to get back in the same room together. Baker's take on the story is that one day, he said hello to Daniels on set, and as Hollywood.com reported, "he just turned his back on me and said 'can't you see I'm having a conversation'?" Again, in Baker's words, "it was the rudest thing anyone had ever done to me. I was furious. It was unbelievable". Daniels has not given his side of the story in an interview that we could track down.

As such, it is apparently the case that if you get one of the pair along to a convention or event, then you won't get the other. Unless you CG one of them in...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow, never knew that. Daniels always seemed like a pretty nice guy, so that's definitely strange.
jr15aggie
AG
Some people can be at odds over the dumbest things. So many times it's simply a matter of misunderstanding because two people have completely different perspectives/memories of a specific event.
twilly
AG
I was living in Tulsa back in the mid 90's when several Star Wars stars were in town for a convention (Baker, Mayhew, Prowse, Bulloch). I went to get all of their autographs, but didn't have any photos for them to sign. The only photos I could find of R2 had C3PO standing right next to him. So I bought it and had it signed.

Fast forward to 2007 where I had the opportunity to meet Anthony Daniels at the Magic of Myth exhibition at the Fort Worth Science & History museum. I still had the Baker signed photo from Tulsa so I brought it with me. It was a very special event so there were only about 150 people at the reception so I was able to talk with Daniels for several minutes. I showed him the photo and asked if he would sign it. He gladly signed it but he did say something to the effect that it's very rare to have both him and Kenny sign something. I asked why and he said that the schedules and details can never get worked out.

No indication that the two hate each other, but I'd thought I share that story...and this...
Knife_Party
I have that tie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Very interesting story, and nice pic.

You have a rare item, it seems like.

I wonder if Daniels was just being coy with the schedule thing, or if he might actually have no idea about Baker's feelings towards him.
twilly
AG
Thanks for the kind words.
I didn't get any impression that he was being coy or trying to deflect a difficult question. If I hadn't read that story above about the two, I never would have thought there was a problem.

But outside of the movies, I can't recall ever seeing the both of them at an interview or a convention together.
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
Having gone through 140ish pages of this thread with you guys, I'm going to go ahead and admit that a minute ago when I was watching the full panel video from comic con, and Harrison Ford came out and sat next to Mark Hamill, I teared up.

Muck - no worries. Had the same effect with me when trailer #2 came out and Han declared "Chewie, we're home". Don't think for a second that was not intentional. Millions of people around the world did in fact feel like they were home when the words were spoken. It was "home" for me.

I grew up pretty much in rural or semi-rural America in the 70's and 80's. We had a long drive to get to the theater so seeing a movie was something we might do 1-2 times a year until the mall opened when I was in middle school. But mom and dad would get us to town for the big ones. Star Wars. Indiana Jones. And a few others. My dad would watch re-runs of Star Trek on the weekend on the 3 channel rabbit ear TV we had in the, yes, trailer, we lived in. We thought it was the greatest thing on earth. My older brother and I might get to split a Coke on Saturday night and occaisionally get Jiffy Pop. Yeah, I am being serious.

My mom and dad were avid readers and took the Seattle Times and the local papers. I would scour the entertainment sections and cut out the movie ads and put them in my binder. I still have that binder and have the original 1980 and 1983 movie ads for ESB and ROTJ from the Seattle TImes. I also had a Star Wars fan club subscription and would get the quarterly (I think) edition of Bantha Tracks. That was like pure gold plated awesomeness as a kid out in the sticks literally dying for any information on Star Wars. My older brother and I waged open warfare over who had control of the Bantha Tracks newsletter. Bloody war.

I try to tell my kids these stories but they don't get it. They live in a world where they are concerned about how good the wifi at Chilis is going to be. I stood on a dirt road waiting for the mailman to show up, hoping my newsletter would come or the Boba Fett action figure I saved the proof of purchases for was in fact going to happen. I would work my fingers bloody to get allowance so that I could buy a figure at the KMart my mom might go to once a month. It was just a different time and in all honesty a different country then.

So don't feel bad about being nostalgic. This is worth being nostalgic for. It was and remains the epitome of our childhoods. I am having a lot of fun with it. So are my kids. Hell, even my wife, who is not a Star Wars person, is getting in to it. My brothers and I pass email and texts about it. Sometimes we need to cast aside our cynicism and just enjoy the hell out of it for what it is.
Brian Earl Spilner
double aught
AG
I've found myself growing tired and cynical towards all of the nostalgic posts I've seen lately on social media. They almost all reek of smugness of how one generation is better than another because their childhood was tougher.

I didn't find myself feeling this way about your post whatsoever. It was exellent.
DB Coach
AG
Excellent post, UrbanAg! I grew up pretty much exactly the same way with very similar experiences...and yes, it was a different country back then.
jr15aggie
AG
Good stuff! Indeed it was a different country back then. I was born in the late 70's so I grew up in the 80's and it was a cool time. Seems like everybody knew how to take a chill pill back then!

Many of the movies didn't take themselves seriously either. Maybe you can make that comparison between the originals and the prequels... in the 80's Han doesn't give a crap, cracks jokes at a cute chick and then makes-out with her on a friggin spaceship. She loves him... He knows! Fast forward 20 years and it's Natalie Portman doing her best with a script telling her to say how passionately in love with Anakin she is. It was horrible!

But it was indeed a great time to grow up!
double aught
AG
quote:
She loves him... He knows!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Love this new color scheme on Poe's X-Wing.

Farmer1906
AG
Reminds me of Okie St. (not a good thing)
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

Maybe it's a Lucas-style marketing ploy and they're releasing one for each of the 120+ Div I schools.
Farmer1906
AG
I'd buy a maroon 1.
Hagen95
AG
Maybe only 40 year olds can drive the OSU x-wing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm a Jedi, I'm 40! I'm, I'm not a Padawan!
TexasAggie_02
AG
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/news/a43377/amy-schumer-star-wars-gq-cover/

MGS
quote:
Maybe T. Boone Pickens give a lot of money to the Rebellion.
jabberwalkie09
AG
First picture of the female inquisitor without a mask for a Rebels this season, courtesy of making star wars.
http://makingstarwars.net/2015/07/star-wars-rebels-female-inquisitor-unmasked/
jr15aggie
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 148 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.