Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,588 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That lightsaber is definitely Anakin's that Luke used in New Hope/Empire. So the rumors of the floating lightsaber being found look to be true?

Also, put me in the camp that thinks it's simply Luke's conversation with Leia from ROTJ about his force family and the final line is just rearranged. Is it reasonable to think that 30 years later someone new would say the exact thing verbatim to someone else?

Also, I'll just assume it's Asohka handing over that lightsaber.

Freakin' A, I'm building a time machine to take me to Decemeber.
twilly
AG
I guess I didn't notice it before but the tie fighter's body is now black, and the panels are white.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just fly really, really fast. Like, really fast.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I guess I didn't notice it before but the tie fighter's body is now black, and the panels are white.
And it appears that the cockpit glass is also mirrored.
TCTTS
AG
hunter2012
AG
So a fanboy said the book people think the sith in the trailers is named "moff moors" and is in fact a woman. What do yall think?

TCTTS
AG
quote:
So a fanboy said the book people think the sith in the trailers is named "moff moors" and is in fact a woman. What do yall think?

Uh, no.
wangus12
AG
I feel an immense need to rewatch the saga again
VanZandt92
I was supposed to be at the Star Wars Celebration but got stuck at a meeting in NOLA instead. Dang.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
More muff?

Yes, please!
Al Bula
AG
Holy F, i teared up when I saw Han.
512Ag
AG
Did anyone notice the echo behind the voice over? To me it sounds like the same voice from the first trailer. I'm probably hearing things...

The Force is strong in my family [force is strong in my family]
My father has it [my father has it]
I have it [no echo]
My sister has it [no echo]
You have that power, too. [no echo]
AliasMan02
AG
Just watched at home on the TV:

1. I just can't tell if the TIE pilot is sporting red stripes on his helmet, or if his helmet is chrome.

2. Pretty sure we're seeing two distinct Imperial factions.

3. I'm certain that the lightsaber is Anakin's that was passed down to Luke, so it makes total sense that the orange skinned alien is Ashoka. She just identified it and is handing it over to Leia. It also stands to reason that Ashoka could be involved in the Rebellion/Republic in some form. She's not as small as I thought in prior viewings... definitely could be her. I hope it is. Further, if someone is hunting Sith artifacts, that lightsaber would be both attainable (it's just sitting in the belly of Cloud City somewhere if you lnew to look for it, presumably) and prized. It wasn't just Anakin and Luke's lightsaber, remember, but Vader's as well.

4. I'm 90% sure that the voiceover is not Luke from Jedi. Maybe it's an old cut or Hamill recorded it again and the sound was tweaked, but I'm leanijg toward that voiceover being a big reveal about two of the new characters.

5. Just from her walk, I'm sure the caped Chrometrooper is Brienne of Tarth.
Texags is garbage
I really hope it's Ashoka as well.
AliasMan02
AG
Oh, and I don't think the jooded figure with R2 is Luke.
redline248
AG
quote:

I don't either, unless after the experience on the Death Star he decided to forgo the skin covering as a reminder what Vader became/he could become.

In terms of the potential Asohka's height, remember we have no idea how tall she is bc she's only ever been a cartoon. She was a lot shorter than Anakin, though.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Still no sign of Jar Jar. Abrams is really effing this up
wangus12
AG
quote:

More misdirection? Just can't of think of anyone else who'd have R2 and a robot hand
jabberwalkie09
AG
MSW trailer break down. Likely spoilers to follow. LINK
TCTTS
AG
Let's talk about that light saber for a second, because I have a potential scoop, but also a question...

A friend of mine is a prominent graphic artist for a bunch of big, name brand commercials, and he has a friend who's doing effects on the movie. This is second hand, obviously, but his friend told him that the lightsaber is not only Luke's/Anakin's, but that it's also the first lightsaber ever. Seeing as I'm not very well versed in ancient Star Wars/Jedi/Sith history, is that even possible? I can't remember, but do the prequels ever say/show where Anakin gets his lightsaber?

We obviously know the lightsaber in question plays a huge role in The Force Awakens. From everything I've heard, Kylo Ren is after the lightsaber, as are a couple other characters potentially. The crystal (or whatever it is) inside it apparently has some big-time Force connection or something. So maybe THAT part of the lightsaber is the "first ever" in some way? Like that particular saber was forged in The Force, in some ancient/important way. I'm just curious as to what we already know not only about that lightsaber in particular, but lightsaber history in general. Because this movie is apparently going to dive into that pretty deep.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:

More misdirection? Just can't of think of anyone else who'd have R2 and a robot hand

Almost positive it's Luke. The way he touches R2 is like it's an old pal. That, and we know Luke has secluded himself in some way, and that character definitely looks to be seclusion. Would make sense for him to bring along a droid too.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Let's talk about that light saber for a second, because I have a potential scoop, but also a question...

A friend of mine is a prominent graphic artist for a bunch of big, name brand commercials, and he has a friend who's doing effects on the movie. This is second hand, obviously, but his friend told him that the lightsaber is not only Luke's/Anakin's, but that it's also the first lightsaber ever. Seeing as I'm not very well versed in ancient Star Wars/Jedi/Sith history, is that even possible? I can't remember, but do the prequels ever say/show where Anakin gets his lightsaber?

We obviously know the lightsaber in question plays a huge role in The Force Awakens. From everything I've heard, Kylo Ren is after the lightsaber, as are a couple other characters potentially. The crystal (or whatever it is) inside it apparently has some big-time Force connection or something. So maybe THAT part of the lightsaber is the "first ever" in some way? Like that particular saber was forged in The Force, in some ancient/important way. I'm just curious as to what we already know not only about that lightsaber in particular, but lightsaber history in general. Because this movie is apparently going to dive into that pretty deep.
It's not the first lightsaber. In canon we've seen the Darksaber, which we know to be older. It's possible that the crystal is special, but that flies in the face of everything that canon tells us about how lightsabers are created/constructed.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:

It's not the first lightsaber. In canon we've seen the Darksaber, which we know to be older. It's possible that the crystal is special, but that flies in the face of everything that canon tells us about how lightsabers are created/constructed.

This is the exact stuff I want to hear. Can you go into more detail?

Knowing canon detail, I'd like to try and pen down, roughly, why/how this particular lightsaber could be so important.
wangus12
AG
Yeah, no way is it the "first" lightsaber. That's just being stupid
AliasMan02
AG
Sure.

Lightsabers have gone through development over time. A lot of that is now EU material, but we do have two important points of canon, both from The Clone Wars.

First is the Darksaber, an ancient, black-bladed lightsaber that predates the "modern" types. It was a Mandalorian heirloom, and eventually wielded by Darth Maul.

As for modern lightsabers, all Jedi do a "quest" of sorts as younglings to pick their crystal. We see this in The Gathering, in The Clone Wars, Season 5. They go to the cave on Ilum, where each has a crystal "call" to them, sort of, and test their understanding of what it is to be a Jedi. Not my favorite thing, personally, as I dislike it when the Force is reduced to straight-up magic, but it is what it is.

I recall that they mention that there are other caves that grow lightsaber crystals, but that the known ones were all destroyed by the Sith.

Edit:

Oh, I also forgot. Anakin's first lightsaber was destroyed in Episode II. So...
tremble
AG
Mind you this video games and other sources..

If its the first saber were talking about a millennia old relic. Exar Kun, who I think lived thousands of years before Darth Revan, who himself lived thousands of years before this era, had lightsabers.

That said there are some crystals which were passed down in Force strong families.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS, in this new canon The Clone Wars (the 2008 series abbreviated as TCW) actually has an arc (in season 5?) where Jedi Younglings go to a cave to get a kyber crystal for their lightsabers. Basically they construct the lightsaber themselves with the help of the force. As far as the actually history of the development and creation of the lightsaber, I can't remember anything really specific on that.

I will call BS on it being the first lightsaber though. Maybe the first one we see in TFA though.
Knife_Party
If that is Luke's old lightsaber, that means it is Anakin's old lightsaber. Specifically, it's the lightsaber that Obi Wan picks up off the ground after chopping off Anakin's legs and arms on Mustafar. From the movies, it is unclear exactly where that particular lightsaber may have come from. If you remember Episode 2, Anakin is chidded by Obi Wan about constantly losing his lightsaber. At one point in the movie, his lightsaber is destroyed, and then eventually other Jedi toss him and Obi Wan some lightsabers to help get out of the arena on Geonosis. So, it's possible the lightsaber that Obi Wan gives Luke, Anakin's old one, was created by Anakin some time between Episode 2 and 3. Perhaps he used a special crystal or technique in creating it. It is either that, or the fact that Anakin was so potentially powerful in the force that when he created his lightsaber it did something to it to make it extremely powerful. Both of those seem possible. There is certainly enough vagueness in the current canon about where it came from that they could spin some kind of story about it.
AliasMan02
AG
Lightsaber from the trailer:

Anakin's second lightsaber:

Luke with the lightsaber:

Clearly the same.
TCTTS
AG
This is good stuff, guys. Thanks. So maybe Anakin's second lightsaber is special in some way? Maybe because he didn't "choose" the crystal, it was instead given to him by Palpatine or something. Maybe the crystal in it is some special Sith crystal. Wait, actually, that reminds me.... I totally forgot about this part... my friend said (his friend said) that the crystal or whatever in the lightsaber in question is so strong that it basically aids in TURNING you to the Dark Side in some one way. So, if true, that would have pretty big implications, obviously. Means Vader cutting off Luke's hand basically inadvertently perhaps saved Luke.

Sorry for the scatterbrained thoughts. My friend told me all this a couple weeks back, and he's not a big Star Wars guy, so it was like two completely uninformed people trying to have a conversation about this.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Perhaps he used a special crystal or technique in creating it. It is either that, or the fact that Anakin was so potentially powerful in the force that when he created his lightsaber it did something to it to make it extremely powerful. Both of those seem possible. There is certainly enough vagueness in the current canon about where it came from that they could spin some kind of story about it.

Just read this (after my post above). This is basically what I was looking for. Just making sure there was some kind of open possibility to spin some kind of story and that there wasn't concrete, canon history about it.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
This is good stuff, guys. Thanks. So maybe Anakin's second lightsaber is special in some way? Maybe because he didn't "choose" the crystal, it was instead given to him by Palpatine or something. Maybe the crystal in it is some special Sith crystal. Wait, actually, that reminds me.... I totally forgot about this part... my friend said (his friend said) that the crystal or whatever in the lightsaber in question is so strong that it basically aids in TURNING you to the Dark Side in some one way. So, if true, that would have pretty big implications, obviously. Means Vader cutting off Luke's hand basically inadvertently perhaps saved Luke.

Sorry for the scatterbrained thoughts. My friend told me all this a couple weeks back, and he's not a big Star Wars guy, so it was like two completely uninformed people trying to have a conversation about this.
I don't see it, basically just because it would require an incredibly complex backstory and explanation. How are they gonna catch up people who have never seen a Star Wars movie?

Also, it doesn't really hold water because throughout Jedi, Luke was VERY close to turning, far closer than at any previous point, and he was using his new lightsaber.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Lightsaber from the trailer:

Anakin's second lightsaber:

Luke with the lightsaber:

Clearly the same.

That's awesome to see laid out like that.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't see it, basically just because it would require an incredibly complex backstory and explanation. How are they gonna catch up people who have never seen a Star Wars movie?

Also, it doesn't really hold water because throughout Jedi, Luke was VERY close to turning, far closer than at any previous point, and he was using his new lightsaber.

Yeah, you're probably right. In other words, it sounds like my friend's friend is full of sh*t.
tremble
AG
For what it's worth there were some weapons/clothing which were so associated with super strong Force users that they could influence subsequent wielders. Usually seems to happen with badass Sith Lords.
First Page Last Page
Page 114 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.