Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,887,463 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by TCTTS
amercer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Interesting page on the Rule of Two.

It seems like they broke that Rule a lot anyway and Sidious was mad enough to think he can have the Rule of One

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rule_of_Two

I see why they decided to throw everything but the movies out of the cannon.
redline248
AG
bingo

edit: although the Clone wars series is pretty consistent.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
If it's from a book it doesn't count.
Same can be said about several things from the prequels!
wesag
AG
quote:
That mixes a lot of book lore into history. If it's from a book it doesn't count.

Correct
slickag2007
AG
The books were really great. It's very disappointing that they decided to throw out 30 years worth of perfectly good stories that only served to help make the Star Wars universe a living breathing thing.
Ulrich
Some books were great. Others were terrible. Many were contradictory. I don't mind them throwing out the books while reserving the right to borrow from them. However, I will always believe that the "Rule of Two" was fated to be broken continuously by the kinds of personalities that become Sith lords and by the training they underwent.
wesag
AG
I read some of those Mandalorian books. They were terrible. Look, I'm fine that folks liked some books, but don't expect that to constrain a new movie. The movies are on a whole other scale of importance.

And I'd reemphasize, Star Wars is more than comic books. Just because there is some cross talk, doesn't mean there has to be that sort of structure, in my opinion. Like I've said, it isn't a superhero universe where every superhero has to meet up for an issue now and again.

Without rambling, Id just as soon some of the Star Wars be set in the same universe, but with a few stories that have little bearing on the Sith / Jedi saga. Just some seedy tales on Tatooine would be cool. But then I was a fan of the magazine Heavy Metal back in the day, which was indeed heavy. I'd still read it, except that it is too adult to leave around the house.

Oh and here is my ANH helmet, not quite finished. It is the only pic I have on this work computer.

[url=http://imgur.com/8QsbNIY][/url]

wesag
AG
That is my reproduction Dixie Chicken table underneath. Sans signature carvings, yeah.
brents1975
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Legit.
jr15aggie
AG
I only read the 3 books that directly followed ROTJ. I have zero problem with them tossing those out. We are talking make-believe characters... whatever you remember from those books (I don't remember much, it was years ago), is still valid.

No reason you can't have 2 sets of fiction in your head and enjoy them both.
Hagen95
AG
When you put on that helmet, do you lose all ability to aim and shoot accurately?
wesag
AG
quote:
When you put on that helmet, do you lose all ability to aim and shoot accurately?
Yes but you look kickass.
Knife_Party
Just saw it's been poted on the other thread. I'll keep discussion there.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jr15aggie
AG
I'm starting to think it's not an awakening of the force, but an awakening of the nerds. Uber nerds are now Super Uber nerds... and people that seemed so normal are now turning into something far less attractive.
slickag2007
AG
Star Wars is so much more than what was shown in the movies. There is a whole universe there that the movies barely scratched the surface of. Throwing out quality characters like Corran Horn, Kyle Katarn, and Mara Jade is terrible.
Ulrich
I don't look at the spoiler thread, but at one point there were many rumors that Mara Jade would be in the movie. They are (correctly) refusing to be bound by the EU, but they have said that they may use material from it. I would think that the best way to please everyone would be to borrow characters but not worry too much about plot lines. I'm still hoping for a Grand Admiral Thrawn arc.
wesag
AG
quote:
Star Wars is so much more than what was shown in the movies. There is a whole universe there that the movies barely scratched the surface of. Throwing out quality characters like Corran Horn, Kyle Katarn, and Mara Jade is terrible.

We're going to have to disagree! Maybe we can discuss this over beer some time.
wesag
AG
quote:
I don't look at the spoiler thread, but at one point there were many rumors that Mara Jade would be in the movie. They are (correctly) refusing to be bound by the EU, but they have said that they may use material from it. I would think that the best way to please everyone would be to borrow characters but not worry too much about plot lines. I'm still hoping for a Grand Admiral Thrawn arc.

I have seen mention of Mara Jade on Force.net for a while. It is tiring.
slickag2007
AG
I'm always happy to discuss Star Wars. Especially over beer. Did I list characters that you don't like? Corran Horn has always been one of my favorite characters. Rogue Squadron member, former detective, Jedi Master and council member. He was awesome.
wesag
AG
quote:
I'm always happy to discuss Star Wars. Especially over beer. Did I list characters that you don't like? Corran Horn has always been one of my favorite characters. Rogue Squadron member, former detective, Jedi Master and council member. He was awesome.

I don't know those characters so no specific objection. I just want JJ or whoever the writers are to not be confined.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gotta side with wesag.
slickag2007
AG
I'm fine with them not being bound by the EU events. That isn't the issue.
Ulrich
How does someone with his own set of stormtrooper armor not know who Corran Horn is?
redline248
AG
One doesn't have to read all the EU to be a super star wars nerd. I only found out who that was a couple years ago.
wesag
AG
quote:
How does someone with his own set of stormtrooper armor not know who Corran Horn is?
Was he in a movie? There is canon. And there is Conan.

wesag
AG
Seriously though, I didn't keep up with Star Wars outside of the movies ever really. They are the only universe to me. I saw the original when I was 7-8 years old and stuck with that line of approach. As I've stated, other authors and sources adding to the original isn't kosher for me. That is just the camp I'm in, and the camp that most Brits and Americans are probably in.

Costuming is a hobby and correlates directly with one's passion for the original trilogy. I am one of those guys that would have built a Star Wars / Mad Max / Raiders of the Lost Ark museum collection if given the resources.

I hate to bleed over to the Lord of the Rings, but JRR Tolkien's universe was sufficient. I don't feel quite that strongly about Star Wars, but I'm basically an anti-comic guy, to include comic lovers inclination to continuity and intricate, interlinked superhero universes.

Just my opinion. May the Force be with you.
Prime0882
AG
quote:
I'm still hoping for a Grand Admiral Thrawn arc.

This is the main character that I would love to see them pull from the EU into the films. Thrawn, to me, was the equivilant to Star Trek's Khan. An interesting, highly intelligent, unpredectable villan.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I consider myself a pretty big Star Wars fan, but I've never followed the EU myself. I know the popular characters like Mara Jade, Jacen Solo, Thrawn, etc, but that's about it.

I'm glad they scrapped all that because the story should be coming from the people making the movies, and not dictated by anything else.
Ag Since 83
AG
First, Corran Horn is awesome. Stockpile's original four part X-wing series revolving around Rogue Squadron and the fall of Coruscant is my 2nd favorite EU series, after Zahn's Thrawn trilogy.

Second, I'm OK with them not being bound to the EU. After all, Marvel and DC have gone years with different canons between film and their comics, so no reason why you can't do the same with Star Wars. What I'm hoping, though, is that the film makers realize there is some good source material in the EU and find a way to leverage it in some way.

slickag2007
AG
There are way more fans of the EU out there than you would think. I don't want them to feel trapped by it, but I feel like there should at least be easter eggs or something along those lines that reference some of the EU. Just like they do in Marvel movies.
wesag
AG

Crom, grant me vengeance on those who would make Marvel/Star Wars analogies.
Red Five
AG
quote:

Not sure why you think your opinion should be the only one that matters. Literally no one has suggested that they port the EU to the screen. There are excellent characters created for the EU that are fan favorites. Incorporating the spirit of those characters into new storylines in the films is not some reprehensible notion.
wesag
AG
quote:
quote:

Not sure why you think your opinion should be the only one that matters. Literally no one has suggested that they port the EU to the screen. There are excellent characters created for the EU that are fan favorites. Incorporating the spirit of those characters into new storylines in the films is not some reprehensible notion.

I'll see if I can make my opinion on the EU more tepid.
First Page Last Page
Page 86 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.