Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,885,145 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Peter Sciretta @slashfilm
We will see @starwars #TheForceAwakens trailer this week.
TCTTS
AG
Seeing as it's Saturday - the last day of the week - I think he technically means next week, but you get the point. With the Jurassic World trailer debuting on Thursday (and that film's producer, Frank Marshall, being married to Star Wars producer Kathleen Kennedy), surely they'll stagger the releases somewhat, meaning the The Force Awakens trailer could hit as soon as Monday or Tuesday. Which is CRAZY. I was not expecting it so soon. Was thinking first week of December at the earliest. Man, what a week for trailers...
TCTTS
AG
So, definitely no online release this coming week, but it looks like the trailer will be playing with ALL showings of EVERY movie in SELECT theaters next weekend... whatever that means...

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-debut/
TCTTS
AG
And if it is only 100 participating theaters nationwide, of course I won't be in LA and will instead be College Station - which most likely won't be one of the 100 - the exact weekend this goes down...
TCTTS
AG
Either way, betting we get an official announcement/clarification in the day next couple of days.
TCTTS
AG
Potential final shot of the trailer (though something about it feels a little fake)...

Saxsoon
AG
Falcon looks blocky
wesag
AG
I'll be in Dallas. I'm not a Dallasite. What theater would be the best bet there?
Saxsoon
AG
I would imagine one of the big theater chains. I know in Seattle there are two theaters that come to mind in the Regal chain that would be my best bet. If it is part of a mall or a big shopping center/area, those are the safe bets. High volume traffic areas.
TCTTS
AG
I'm sure we'll get a list of the exact theaters in the next couple days.
Simplebay
AG
LENS FLARE.
TCTTS
AG
I actually LOVE Abrams' lens flares. And the only thing that makes me think that shot might be legit is the subtle one in the background. Otherwise, like Marsuvees said, something about the Falcon looks a little too blocky/non-detailed, and the lasers don't quite feel right either.
Mr. White
The Falcon is going to need some work or revamping because it's so old.

The blasters: VERY early post-production effects?
TCTTS
AG
Yep, it's fan-made...

http://vimeo.com/112602685
Mr. White
Oh well
Simplebay
AG
Houston gets it.

http://www.regmovies.com/Home/promotions/Star-Wars-Trailer-Debut?utm_source=email-starwars-b&utm_medium=email&utm_content=starwars&utm_campaign=11-26-14&_m_utk=c310387712b65179aff3dc8ac8fe8847
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn. Dunno if it's worth the train ride to Manhattan, but it might be.

Strange that LA doesn't get it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, little odd that it's only at Regal theaters, no? In fact the whole thing is a little odd. In front of ALL movies but only in a handful of theaters? Why not attach it to a couple of big movies nationwide?
TCTTS
AG
Apparently a few more theater chains could be announced in the next couple of days. Regal may have just jumped the gun. Still, this is such a weird/random strategy. Figure I'll be waiting for the online release anyway, likely next Monday or Tuesday (the exact time I was planning on launching my site - may have to bump that a bit now). No doubt the bootleg versions will be all over the place first thing Friday morning, though.
Farmer1906
AG
Some high up in Disney must have a brother that runs Regal.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I would've attached it to The Hobbit, across the country, and released it online the following Monday.

Maximum exposure, maximum hype, and it gets to more viewers in the theaters, the way it is presumably meant to be seen.
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, I don't think Disney is looking for maximum explore. For this movie, this early, they don't need it. Everyone and their dog already knows it's coming. Apparently one of the stipulations to premiering the trailer is that the theater chain has to agree to slot Disney's Big Hero 6 as the first showing, in every theater. Because so many fan boys will be buying the first ticket available, that will ensure they'll be buying a ticket for a Disney movie. So it's more of a money-making strategy than anything else. Releasing exclusively with The Hobbit only helps Warner Bros, and Disney doesn't see a dime.
wangus12
AG
quote:
I would've attached it to The Hobbit, across the country, and released it online the following Monday.

Maximum exposure, maximum hype, and it gets to more viewers in the theaters, the way it is presumably meant to be seen.
This is what I figured was going to happen. I'm actually surprised we'll be getting it earlier.
TCTTS
AG
Ethan Anderton @Ethan_Anderton
Sounds like @RegalMovies jumped the gun on STAR WARS trailer announcement. I'm betting other chains have their own debut this weekend too.

Alex Billington @firstshowing
@Ethan_Anderton It looks like lots of IMAX theaters, but yea probably a big event this weekend.
amercer
AG
I was planing on taking the kid to see big hero 6 on Saturday anyways, so I guess I just need to pick the right theater.....
TCTTS
AG
Wow, I guess this is Star Wars Week.

Slash Film just dropped a bomb, with an exclusive on what the first spin-off will likely be about, and it sounds awesome...

http://www.slashfilm.com/rumored-star-wars-spin-off-plot

Essentially: A heist movie focusing on a group of bounty hunters hired by the Rebels to steal the initial Death Star plans. In other words, a direct prequel to A New Hope.

Devin at Badass Digest breaks down the potential...

quote:
This is a perfect set-up for a spin-off movie. We've heard a lot about a possible Boba Fett movie - here's that movie, in all likelihood. This premise takes something familiar - the Rebels acquiring the Death Star plans - and turns it on its head. It is set in the most familiar era of the Star Wars saga, and it has room for Darth Vader to appear. It would be totally unique in Star Wars, focusing on a team of bounty hunters instead of straight heroes.

I quite love this idea, and I'm intrigued to find out whether the Rebels hired the bounty hunters or if they ended up buying the plans off them. I kind of like the idea of Boba Fett leading a squad of killers on a mission and ending up with the plans instead of whatever he thought he was heisting.

What do you think? Does a Dirty Dozen in Star Wars appeal to you?

http://badassdigest.com/2014/11/24/the-first-star-wars-spin-off-could-be-bounty-hunterrific

The Boba Fett angle is just speculation at this point. On one hand, if you're going to do a movie during that time period focused on bounty hunters, you can't not include Boba Fett. But on the other hand, would that make much sense, seeing as Vader then (I guess unwittingly) hires him in The Empire Strikes Back? Either way, this movie has so much potential, and could literally end moments before the opening crawl of A New Hope begins, which could be such a cool way to go.
TCTTS
AG
This movie will hit December 2016, btw. And we'll likely see the first trailer attached to The Force Awakens a year prior.
MASAXET
AG
If the rumor is true about the plot of the spinoff, I'm honestly more excited about that than the Force Awakens.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If they do a bounty hunter movie, people need to constantly confuse 4LOM and Zuckuss as an inside joke on their action figures.
TCTTS
AG
The Force Awakens trailer officially clocks in at one minute and twenty-eight seconds.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
AG
AMC now confirming their participation. I'm assuming every major theater chain will be in on this, each with 10 or "flagship" theaters...

AMC TheatresVerified account@AMCTheatres
We can confirm that a teaser for @StarWars: The Force Awakens will play at select AMCs this Friday! Locations soon!
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
If they do a bounty hunter movie, people need to constantly confuse 4LOM and Zuckuss as an inside joke on their action figures.

I'm trying to decide if I should be happy that my memory is good enough that I get the above or if I should be embarrassed that I get the above.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I really need the scum of the Internet to get this trailer up quick on Friday cuz I don't see my wife and twin 2 year olds wanting to go see a movie on Friday.
First Page Last Page
Page 75 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.