Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,886,778 Views | 43963 Replies | Last: 15 min ago by maroon barchetta
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
that line was crossed repeatedly in all three of the prequels, and every big action movie i can think of since - batman 2 and 3, avengers, etc.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I too think this is misdirection. Not for any particular reason other than JJ is the master of secrecy and the mystery box. If anybody can pull off keeping a massive spoiler from being leaked, it's JJ Abrams.

Let's not forget that Lucas did the same for Empire. The "misdirection" spoiler (Obi Wan killed Luke's father) also would've been seen as a massive spoiler and nobody would've suspected the real spoiler.
BigTimeAlum
AG
The risk with big misdirection is that the misdirected plot point can be cooler than your actual movie plot. That is what leads to everyone hating your movie (specifically the fanboys). So if JJ is using this as a misdirection, he better have a "cooler" idea in production.
Saxsoon
AG
Honestly I don't know how you get cooler than that.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Honestly I don't know how you get cooler than that.

Maybe not cooler... but there are a million other ways to not ruin my childhood hero's!!!
redline248
AG
So are y'all discussing spoilers in this thread the last 20 posts or so? Do I need to check out of this thread?
TCTTS
AG
^ I'm literally right in the middle of typing up a spoilers-only thread. Should be going up relatively soon. This thread will then be free and clear for general, no-spoiler discussion.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
So are y'all discussing spoilers in this thread the last 20 posts or so? Do I need to check out of this thread?

Yes, but none of us have given specifics about the spoiler... We are being careful with words out of respect. If what we've learned today ends up true (we have big doubts) then you will probably find out sooner or later.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Big-time spoilers will not be discussed here, so this thread is safe for those that want to stay unspoiled and just want general discussion.

Trailers are fair game though. Hope we get something soon.
Saxsoon
AG
Are we expecting any sort of teaser this year? The only big movie Disney has coming up I believe is Into the Woods (my coworker was showing me an article that it is up in the air for best picture discussion).

Would get a lot of nerds into seeing the film that weekend.

I think the first REAL Trailer we get is Avengers 2 though.

How crazy is Disney's stock gonna soar next year with Star Wars AND Avengers 2 AND a Pixar film? Could next year be the biggest year for a studio EVER?
TCTTS
AG
We MIGHT get a teaser with either The Hobbit or Into the Woods the following week. But it would most likely only be a super-short teaser, with not a lot of footage, if any. And yeah, the first trailer with any legit footage is basically confirmed to be with Avengers: Age of Ultron in early May. Probably a 2-minute or so trailer. Then the final, two-and-a-half minute trailer will likely hit exactly a year from now with Disney's big remake of The Jungle Book on October 9. (this is all chronicled on my site, if we could just get the damn thing up and running!)
Saxsoon
AG
Jungle Book does not seem the type of movie to drop the full 2.5 trailer. Any reasoning on this movie in particular besides timing?
TCTTS
AG
It's pure speculation. But the big mid-December blockbuster every year usually releases its trailer in early-ish October. Looking at the schedule, there aren't any other big/SW-appropriate movies that time of year in 2015. The Jungle Book is the only Disney movie around that time as well. Keep in mind that it's being directed Jon Favreau, and boasts a pretty big cast. It'll definitely be an event movie. Even Attack of the Clones released its first trailer with Monsters, Inc. back in the day.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ah, the "Breathing" Trailer attached to Monsters, Inc. About a 30-second tease, no dialogue, just a small piece of music played over Vader's breathing.

I left work in the middle of the day, went to the local mall, bought a ticket, walked into the theater, watched the trailer, turned around, walked out, went back to work.
Mr. White
?
Saxsoon
AG
You missed out on a good movie
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hah. Life before youtube.
TCTTS
AG
I seriously doubt there's an actually trilogy of Obi-Wan movies in the works. Rather, this is most likely different concepts for the same movie, as suggested. Either way, an Obi-Wan spinoff movie is seeming more and more like a done deal, and I can't wait. This is the first spinoff idea that has me truly excited.

Also, I forgot that Joel Edgerton briefly played Uncle Owen in Episode III, and has since blown up as an actor. An Obi-Wan movie at least partly on Tatooine, starring Ewan McGregor, Joel edgerton, and a Liam Neeson Force ghost? Sign me up...

http://www.latino-review.com/news/is-obi-wan-kenobi-getting-his-own-trilogy
(link courtesy of MuckRacker96)
Red Five
AG
quote:
Also, I forgot that Joel Edgerton briefly played Uncle Ben in Episode III, and has since blown up as an actor. An Obi-Wan movie at least partly on Tatooine, starring Ewan McGregor, Joel edgerton, and a Liam Neeson Force ghost? Sign me up...

Nerd correction: Uncle Owen
TCTTS
AG
Brain fart. Corrected.
Gigem314
AG
quote:
Also, I forgot that Joel Edgerton briefly played Uncle Owen in Episode III, and has since blown up as an actor. An Obi-Wan movie at least partly on Tatooine, starring Ewan McGregor, Joel edgerton, and a Liam
Neeson Force ghost? Sign me up...

Uh, yes please. Despite all the issues people had with Episodes 1-3, McGregor and Neeson were awesome. Would love to see them reprise their roles again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thumbs up to all of the above.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
What's funny is I ONLY think of Joel Edgerton as Owen Lars despite his big appearances elswhere.
CapCityAg89
AG
I'm just starting season 6 of CW on Netflix and there is tons of material for an Obiwan movie there - Asoka, clone leaders, witches including Asajj.

The direction Ben took at the end of ROTS was to watch over Luke. That might mean travel to kick some ass or learn more about the force somewhere else.

I would LOVE this spinoffs.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Warwick Davis confirmed for Ep VII.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=124098
redline248
AG
As Wicket?
InnerCityAg
LOL... thats huge, because we can tell which midgets are which in their non-speaking ewok roles.
wangus12
AG
quote:
LOL... thats huge,
What you did there, See it I do.
InnerCityAg
WTF is all this crap about Luke?

Lets just throw future ****ing Spock in there too.
double aught
AG
quote:

Lets just throw future ****ing Spock in there too.

TCTTS
AG
Hell yes. Love this guy's work...

http://thefilmstage.com/news/gareth-edwards-star-wars-spin-off-recruits-foxcatcher-and-killing-them-softly-cinematographer-greig-fraser/
InnerCityAg
I rewatched episode 3 recently for the first time since I saw it in theaters. I was amazed at how much of it I didn't remember seeing the first go around. It is by far the best of the prequels, and gets me excited tp start watching the Rebels cartoon

I have a feeling that JJ will bring the movies back to where they should have always been.
SeattleAgJr
Seriously>

You have faith in JJ?

After retreading Star Trek 2. In Star Trek 2 v2.

I have zero faith in him as far as the story goes, but I am sure it will look good between lense flares.
BeefAg_00~
Dude, the new Star Treks are badass. A lot better than any of TNG movies.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Agree. With most of the Trek movies being God awful, JJ's was pretty damn good.
First Page Last Page
Page 70 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.