Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,886,881 Views | 43963 Replies | Last: 27 min ago by maroon barchetta
gravy97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Justice Unicorn Woman Sith > > > > Old Luke
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pink saber? Pft.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Who wins a fight, Wonder Woman riding a two-headed unicorn with a saber staff or Aurra Sing on a dewback in Mandalorian Combat Armor armed with a cortosis-plated Force pike?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I had to refer to wookieepedia twice on that one. Impressive. Most impressive.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
That's a little disappointing, I thought you were on the level with me.

How about this one - Jango Fett vs. The Predator - both will full range of weaponry/armor, but no ships.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I don't think TC is calling anyone an idiot. He said he found it funny that there was a discussion about parts of the movies that showed how little thought Lucas put into parts of the prequels. He said he didn't like the prequels. Fine. He is optimistic about the future.

THANK YOU. You guys sure are sensitive when it comes to this stuff. Your reactions almost make it fun to ruffle your feathers. I said I was enjoying the conversation. And I was mostly commenting on Lucas' ineptness, not the conversation itself, or your enjoyment of it. But again, because of the nature of Star Wars, to expect everyone to hold hands and have a strictly-wonderful conversation about the prequels is something that's never going to happen, even if I never said a word. Which I'll do from now on. Shutting up, and riding my high horse off into the sunset...

As for news, it's August. That's the problem. No one's working. Episode VII just recently started filming again. We'll probably starting hearing stuff again sometime after Labor Day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
That's a little disappointing, I thought you were on the level with me.

Only two episodes into Clone Wars. But I will get there.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Better speech? TCTTS just now or Jar Jar's in favor of giving the Supreme Chancellor emergency powers in AOTC?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Your reactions almost make it fun to ruffle your feathers. I said I was enjoying the conversation.

A simple GTFO seemed to ruffle yours quite a bit too. It wasn't meant as mean-spirited as you seemed to take it.

And let's be fair, second part is not true. You said there were no conversations to be had about the prequels except to mock them. Doesn't seem like someone enjoying a conversation...

But seriously, keep the news coming when you've got it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I think give me Predator
JJxvi
AG
Hokey religions and ancient weapons that were commonplace among the galaxies elite fighters like twenty years ago are no match for a good blaster at your side kid.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
^ Agreed. Thermal vision.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Fett has a jet pack. Not saying, just saying.
Ulrich
Fett is always the right answer.
gravy97
AG
Jango> Boba?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Danny "I'm to old for this ****" Glover defeated Predator.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
time for my favorite fett video, from the site of SWG.

My backpack's got jets, I'm Boba the Fett.

youtu.be/1aqSp7Qji-M
mid90
AG
In conclusion, attacking superman with a lightsaber would have the same result as hitting a normal person with a wet noodle.
MGS
What if they used kryptonite crystals to build the green light sabers?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
^
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
a wet noodle

You leave Hayden Christiansen out of this!

Here's what Google Image gave me from "Superman vs. Lightsaber"

and the greatest thing ever. Superman vs. He-Man

Simplebay
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
simple, that picture needs manziel bursting out of the shark's maw.
Clem
quote:
Of course, part of my complaint was that the movie insisted on making Dooku a brawler type who fought in the same style as Anakin and Obi-Wan and the actor was too old and slow to sell that. Same for Palps vs 4 Jedi. Him killing those first 3 wasn't believable at all b/c of the actor being so damn slow.

I would've preferred to see Palpatine act more like Neo at the end of the first Matrix movie. Nothing fast or jerky, just normal deliberate moves that hint at an ability of premonition capped off with lazy gestures that caused telekinetic havoc. More like a Kung Fu master and less like a acrobat moving through water.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'd have liked some special effects to make it look like Palpy was moving so much faster than the Jedi that time slowed down for him. Thus, the lesser Masters can't even move before he kills them; Fan favorite Kit Fisto at least gets a swing or two in; and Mace Windu can match him blow for blow after the initial surprise.

In the beginning of TPM, you see Obi and Qui-Gon "force run" away from the Droidekas, but then nobody ever does it again.

You would think someone as powerful as Palps could twist the dark side to the point of slowing down time for himself, but no one else.
Guess he had to save Windu for last; if he had killed him first, by the time Anakin got there, it would have been Palpy back at his desk signing some expense reports with four dead Jedi smearing the carpet.

The novels cast Dooku as being a traditional duelist whose style made the jumping around acrobat BS stuff basically pointless.

The novelization of ROTS is really fantastic at picking out the differences of the different fighting styles - unfortunately the movies not so much. Obi-Wan is considered the definitive master of the generic lightsaber style, of which every other style is a derivative of to make up for a Jedi's deficiencies in the original.
Ulrich
I want to see Vaapad, but I'm not sure it can even be portrayed in film without looking stupid.
TCTTS
AG
You asked for it, here it is; from Latino Review, a bit of Episode VII news before the holiday weekend...

http://www.latino-review.com/news/star-wars-ruin-ruins-and-ruining

Nothing super concrete, but it does ramp up the speculation somewhat. If I'm understanding correctly, the basic idea that's being painted is this:

- At some point very soon after Return of the Jedi - likely on Endor - Luke is apparently kidnapped by some kind of Sith faction; a group who has essentially been working behind the scenes during the OT, and likely long before. Vader's burnt remains may also be confiscated by the group, as one of the Episode VII villains - if not the main villain - is said to have somewhat worshipped Vader to an extent (referenced in that leaked production art from a few weeks ago).

- For possibly hundreds of years, the big bad pulling the strings in Episode VII has potentially been attempting to - and has now maybe even succeeded in - uniting all the various "Sith tribes" under the Dark Side of The Force. This idea that "only two there are" was apparently rubbish, which I'm all for.

- The location in Kerry, Ireland we've seen referenced a couple times in this thread is standing in for the homeworld of these united Sith tribes. Luke, at some point, is held prisoner on this planet by the Sith for reasons unknown.

- The Sith are reportedly building some kind of galaxy-destroying machine, which may or may not be located on their homeworld (it may be like Prometheus in that their weapon "silo" is kept on a different, even more remote planet). Either way, I doubt it's something as arbitrary as a next-level Death Star-type device. Sounds like it may do something more than just eradicate.

Honestly, I liked it better when we thought Luke may have disappeared on his own, and then the movie was basically a race to find him, as both the good guys and bad guys searched the galaxy for him while fighting off each other. Now, instead, it looks like the bad guys actually have Luke, and it's just the good guys looking for him. Then again, it's possible Luke could have escaped at some point, disappeared, and we're back to both good and bad trying to find him. Who knows. All I know is the idea of Luke being held captive for 30 years seems kind of lame and almost sad. I want him to have done something besides be a prisoner since we last saw him. And maybe that still happens. It's just too early to tell.

Either way, this update got me thinking about something else concerning Luke, which does ease my concern somewhat about these next movies still being obsessed with the Skywalkers, and not branching out to one of the millions of other potentially just-as-interesting families in the galaxy. And that's the notion mentioned in the update that Plagueis/Palpatine were essentially responsible for the birth of Anakin (which we already knew, of course, but it's never really been explored too much). It feels like this is all going to circle back to that in a big way. In the OT, it was all about trying to get Luke to join the Dark Side basically to just help run the Empire and rule as father and son with Vader. There wasn't an element of absolutely needing Luke because he was of the same bloodline as Vader or anything like that. Yes, he was strong in the Force because he was Vader's kid - and that made him extremely valuable - but he wasn't essential. If Luke refused to join them, and things went slightly different, Luke could have easily been killed, and Vader/the Emperor would have kept on ruling as they had been.

But what makes Episode VII interesting is that Luke may actually be essential to the Siths' plans because of who he is genetically. They may absolutely NEED a Skywalker to supply/harness the power of whatever machine they're building. That said, if this is yet another blockbuster in which the hero or villain needs the blood of the other to carry out his master plan, I won't be able to take it. They can need his powers, or his "essence," or whatever, just please not his freaking blood. As long as they stay away from that trope, but still somehow make it to where Luke is needed because of his relation to Vader - who was basically the Dark Side incarnate - I'm completely on board with with the story focusing on and obsessing over a Skywalker yet again. In fact, Luke becomes the McGuffin even more this way, which is actually pretty cool. Just as long as it feels organic and original.

Overall, though, I absolutely love what we're hearing. Luke Skywalker is the McGuffin of Episode VII. The movie is a search for him, wherever he may be. The bad guys have him/need him because his lineage somehow ties into their ultimate plan, while the good guys - after stumbling upon a clue of Luke's existence/whereabouts - scour the galaxy trying to find/rescue him. And this is all told through the eyes of a rogue, defected Stormtropper who somehow gets swept up in the action - while being hunted himself by his superiors - and potentially becomes the key to it all, whether by fate or pure dumb luck. Really, if true, that sounds amazing.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/29/2014 4:16p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
That said, if this is yet another blockbuster in which the hero or villain needs the blood of the other to carry out his master plan, I won't be able to take it. They can need his powers, or his "essence," or whatever, just please not his freaking blood.

Midichlorians are in the blood. Just saying...
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I know. Just hoping they somehow work around that. Doubt they will, though.
wangus12
AG
quote:
All I know is the idea of Luke being held captive for 30 years seems kind of lame and almost sad. I want him to have done something besides be a prisoner since we last saw him.

This would be such crap. I'd be ok with him disappearing for a while, but being captured and held prisoner seems like such a cop out of having to explain whats happened over 30 years.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
So basically it's the plot of X-men?

TCTTS
AG
^ On the surface, the two plots definitely sound similar. But take everything SW-related with a grain of salt. Some of that was even speculation on my part, trying to connect the dots. The end-result will likely be something fairly different.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/29/2014 7:13p).]
Knife_Party
The only way I see that working out is if they thought Luke had taken off on his own. Maybe they looked for him a while, but didnt think anything was up per se. New info would have to present itself that he was kidnapped or something would have to come up that makes them have to find him. Its better if he is kidnapped during the movie.
redline248
AG
The Empire spent a bunch of time/energy searching for Luke before he was ever a Jedi, failing every time, but after Death Star 2 and becoming a full on Knight he is just gonna get kidnapped by some C-team stormtroopers or bounty hunters?
TCTTS
AG
No. He gets kidnapped by the Sith. I made that pretty clear.
First Page Last Page
Page 63 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.