Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,570 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
0-0-2 (even worse than Dooku)

Dooku vs Yoda was a tie at best. Dooku fled when he realized he couldn't defeat Yoda.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I say at best because it could be argued that Yoda won that fight, since it ended in Dooku forfeiting.

Basically the same reason you consider Palps vs Yoda a win for Palps. Yoda forfeited.

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 8/27/2014 1:38p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, Yoda earns swag points for absorbing Dooku's lighting with one hand and telling him he ain't ****.

"Much to learn you still have."
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If neither guy ends up dead, I call it a tie.

If you could have guaranteed Dooku that nobody else was going to show up in his hangar, I'm sure he would have fought Yoda all day. But he already had 3 Jedi figure out where he was going, who was to say another 50 weren't on their way?

I would love an alternate take of Obi-Wan telling Yoda "Send me to kill the Emperor!" and Yoda saying, "OK, sounds good. See ya later."
redline248
AG
First Obi-Wan vs Dooku isn't a 2 on 1, since Anakin took himself out of the fight immediately.

I hadn't really ever considered that Anakin was a detriment to Obi-Wan by "being in the way" the second time. It pisses me off a little that he got owned so fast in that fight.

Of course, part of my complaint was that the movie insisted on making Dooku a brawler type who fought in the same style as Anakin and Obi-Wan and the actor was too old and slow to sell that. Same for Palps vs 4 Jedi. Him killing those first 3 wasn't believable at all b/c of the actor being so damn slow.

Oh well.
Keegan99
AG
Have we addressed the question of whether or not Palps was sandbagging in his fight with Windu?

Did Mace legitimately have Palps beat or no?
Knife_Party
He was sandbagging imo. Thats why I ranked him slightly above Windu. He had to have sensed the conflict in Anakin and needed him to do something so unbelieveably dark (cut off Windu's hand) that Anakin could never go back. I still think Yoda is tops, by a hair. Dooku was clearly wearing down and Yoda was going nuts.
redline248
AG
I think it's reasonable that Palps allowed himself to be defeated by Mace. He basically already told Anakin he was a Sith and took a gamble Anakin wouldn't kill him on the spot. Once Anakin showed back up he probably knew what might happen.

Now, had Anakin not shown up, Mace still might have won.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
If neither guy ends up dead, I call it a tie.

Oh my bad, I thought it was win-tie-loss.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ya know I think I just realized for the first time that other than when he pulls the lightsaber to him in the arena battle vs. Jango Fett, you never see Mace Windu use the force any other time in the entire trilogy.

Well, I guess he jumps a really long way to get down to the arena, but that's it. How friggin lame.
jr15aggie
AG
Checks Star Wars thread for news...

Sees that everybody is having Jedi power debates...

Makes mental note to come back in a few days once the nerds settle down...
redline248
AG
we never settle down!!!
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Checks Star Wars thread for news...

Sees that everybody is having Jedi power debates...

Makes mental note to come back in a few days once the nerds settle down...

Ha. This.

Last time I griped about the current SW conversation (EU talk) it led to the creation of this thread. At least this powers topic is something everyone knows.

Still, it's hilarious to me that people can have legit conversations about the content of the prequels. Lucas was so out of touch with the prequels, and so off his game, that all this Jedi power talk is basically meaningless. He had no clue what he was doing. The only conversation to be had about the prequels is one mocking their existence. Then again, all this power talk has led to many great observations further pointing out just how incompetent these movies are.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/28/2014 1:03a).]
redline248
AG
What you described is the difference between fans and curmudgeons.
TCTTS
AG
If being a curmudgeon means not endorsing or obsessing over utter crap - even if it has a SW logo slapped on it - I will gladly be a curmudgeon any day of the week. And this is coming from someone who - in a very official capacity - led the prequel hype parade at TheForce.net back in the day.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/27/2014 11:44p).]
redline248
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
"utter crap"? You hated every single second of all three movies?
TCTTS
AG
Granted, I haven't seen them since they came out, but off the top of my head, IMO, I'd say there's maybe 20 total minutes of truly good material between all three prequel movies. The Obi-Wan/Maul fight, most of the podrace, and maybe a sequence or two from ROTS. I can't think of a single redeeming thing about AOTC. I disliked each movie the moment I saw them, but once Red Letter Media took them to task in those epic review videos, that dislike turned to complete disdain. I honestly don't see how anyone could watch those reviews and A) not agree with how completely incompetent the prequels are on almost every level, and B) not become somewhat depressed for what could have been, had Lucas sought more collaborators and not surrounded himself with yes men.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/28/2014 1:02a).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
GTFO TC
TCTTS
AG
So I can enthusiastically provide links to tons of Episode VII news, engage in all kinds of fun speculation, discus the new movies with over-the-moon excitement, and even post quite a bit about how much fun it was back in the day to anticipate the prequels... but the second I speak negatively about the prequel movies themselves I'm told to "GTFO"?

Seriously?

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/28/2014 1:01a).]
Ulrich
I stand with TCTTS.
Ulrich
The prequels suck, and even if they didn't... well, it doesn't matter. They are bad. I love Star Wars, but as an adult with a functioning brain it hurts to watch them.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Still, it's hilarious to me that people can have legit conversations about the content of the prequels. Lucas was so out of touch with the prequels, and so off his game, that all this Jedi power talk is basically meaningless.

This is a Star Wars thread, so why even come in here if you find actual discussion about the Star Wars universe 'hilarious'? You **** on the other thread so I made this one. This is not exclusively a movie news thread.

Furthermore, you're a movie nerd that geeks out about quite a lot of stuff that I'm sure many people find meaningless as well. It's entertainment. All of it is "basically meaningless".

Your hatred of the prequels is well established on this board, so I don't know why you keep making the exact same posts, like you're trying to convince everyone to see the light. And yes, we all know about the Red Letter Media reviews too. We get it. But it's Star Wars and we enjoy it despite the flaws.

Anyway, I'll let this image summarize my response:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
All that said, yes, your posts on this thread, sans the last few, are appreciated. If you're looking for validation, here it is.

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 8/28/2014 1:25a).]
TCTTS
AG
Not looking for validation at all. Whatever I post, I post because I love doing it. Not because I want attention or some kind of weird validation.

I've never even remotely wanted this to be a news thread exclusively. I love all the discussion; about the prequels, about the originals, and I've even enjoyed learning some stuff about the EU more recently. But if once every few months I want to counter a point or two in regards to the prequels, I'm going to continue doing so. SW will always bring out both the love and hate fans, so it's not always going to be flowers and rainbows and people always joining in your enthusiasm. Most people would agree that the prequels are really stupid movies, so it's funny when people discuss them so seriously. It's as simple as that. And yes, you can step back and apply that sentiment to just about any movie discussion, but that's kind of beside the point.

My one point - a point only made because someone else was mocking the conversation - was that people were discussing "powers" and rules established by someone who not only broke his own rules, but probably put less thought into it than some of the people in this thread. It was just a light-hearted observation. Not some tirade about the prequels and everyone discussing them. I was actually enjoying reading along. Then MuckRaker96 asked a specific question, and I answered specifically - not defensively, or with the intent of trying to convince anyone of anything. Next thing I know, I was surprised at the sudden, testy "GTFO."

But it's fine. This is what SW does. Accepting that makes for a much smoother ride.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I don't give a crap about some video review of the prequels. I only care about my own thoughts on the prequels. I am not going to belittle anyone for their stance on those movies even though I have seen snide remarks directed toward me regarding the prequels.

Like them or not, these are the movies that Lucas made. They are Star Wars movies. None of them approach the greatness of The Empire Strikes Back, but I can think of only a few nonSW movies that do.

The total SW nerd conversation above regarding who was better than who among Jedi-Sith tells me that there is something memorable or worthy of nerd gases about the prequels.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
No offense, TC, you just sound like you're up in your ivory film tower when you say "these movies which I have not seen in 15, 12 and 9 years, respectively are utter crap."

This thread was meant (as far as I can tell, BES would have to confirm his intent) to celebrate Star Wars, not bash it.

I don't go on the A&M football board in the middle of the hype of the preseason and say "Oh, by the way, A&M football is terrible. Not sure why we're discussing it."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Like them or not, these are the movies that Lucas made. They are Star Wars movies. None of them approach the greatness of The Empire Strikes Back, but I can think of only a few nonSW movies that do.

Bingo.

quote:
I don't go on the A&M football board in the middle of the hype of the preseason and say "Oh, by the way, A&M football is terrible. Not sure why we're discussing it."

I think a better analogy would be saying something like "I find it hilarious that people can have legit conversations about high school recruits. They're 16 year old kids, so discussion about them is meaningless." And so forth.

So yes, this is a Star Wars thread, so even content in the prequels will be discussed here semi-seriously. (I mean, as seriously as any form of entertainment can be discussed anyway.)
gravy97
AG
TC, I do enjoy your posts and links and news... but when you come on and basically say that anyone who enjoyed the prequels is an idiot... it comes of probably not the way you intended...

I personally enjoyed the movies. I watched the originals as a kid, so part of me wanted the prequels to be great so badly... even if they weren't.... they were still what we got. I'm not a movie snob, so after seeing each of the movies, I left the theater having enjoyed myself. I didn't realize I was supposed to hate them until the innertron told me I was wrong.

Its fine to bash them, b/c there are lots of points to bash... but its also ok to enjoy them... b/c hey, they are Star Wars.
TajMaballer
AG
I don't think TC is calling anyone an idiot. He said he found it funny that there was a discussion about parts of the movies that showed how little thought Lucas put into parts of the prequels. He said he didn't like the prequels. Fine. He is optimistic about the future.

I think the main problem is that we need more news to discuss!

Btw completely unrelated: but it made me really happy that Driver wasn't at the Emmys. I forgot for a second, but then I remembered and got super excited again.
gravy97
AG
quote:
The only conversation to be had about the prequels is one mocking their existence.

To me... this is what makes it sound like you are an idiot if you do anything but make fun of the prequels

but no worries... back to Jedi/Sith rankings!!!!
redline248
AG
quote:
I honestly don't see how anyone could watch those
reviews and A) not agree with how completely
incompetent the prequels are on almost every level,
and B) not become somewhat depressed for what
could have been, had Lucas sought more collaborators
and not surrounded himself with yes men.

That reads like he thinks we are idiots for enjoying the prequels.
LoneStarAg2004
AG
So...anyone have any recent news on the new movies???
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Yes, this picture from the set was just posted. It's for cross-over film titled Episode VIII: Dawn of Justice Unicorn Showdown

[This message has been edited by MuckRaker96 (edited 8/28/2014 9:19a).]
LoneStarAg2004
AG
Thanks, Muck! I look forward to the 3 page debate and pissing match this exciting news will incite!
First Page Last Page
Page 62 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.