Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,887,988 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Harrison Ford doing the ice bucket challenge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj_V_SxXy2U&feature=youtu.be

Mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfnqppqUBOI

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 8/25/2014 12:25p).]
TCTTS
AG
Hamill is great.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I wonder if the produces of Ep 7 were a little worried Harrison Ford was going to die while doing the challenge.

I would have to say that while his occupation with Padme was a big part of Anakin's downfall, it wasn't the sole reason. Obi-Wan Kenobi has to take some of the blame for continuing to train him even though he realized he was not able to let go of emotional attachments - either to Padme or to his mother. If the Jedi weren't such a bunch of D-bags, the smart thing to do would have been having one of the hardcore masters - Yoda, Windu, etc., take him on as a Padawan once they started really grasping how massively powerful he was.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Losing his mother started him down the path, but it was his fear of losing Padme that was his ultimate downfall.

I don't think any of the blame can go to Obi-Wan. He obviously knew about his weaknesses and negative traits, but all padawans have similar traits I'm sure. Nobody's perfect, he had no way of knowing what his ultimate fate would be. Not to mention he made a promise to Qui-Gon that he'd train him. So if anything the blame should be split with him.

Also when Anakin went to Yoda in ROTS for his advice, Yoda felt his fear and advised him to let go of his attachments, but did nothing else. If anything he could be blamed as well for not stopping his training.

But ultimately it's a combination of him and the Emperor's fault. Palp knew his weaknesses and fears, and exploited them. Anakin was mentally frail and in love, and fell easy prey to his machinations.

/nerdrant

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 8/25/2014 1:22p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
If the Jedi weren't such a bunch of D-bags, the smart thing to do would have been having one of the hardcore masters - Yoda, Windu, etc., take him on as a Padawan once they started really grasping how massively powerful he was.

Side note: I wish we had seen more displays of how powerful Anakin truly was. Dispatching Dooku relatively easily in ROTS was a good start, but I wish he'd had one crazy, dark-side force moment like bringing down a ship or killing a bunch of seasoned Jedi with lightning or some other force powers.

Him killing the younglings took him way dark very quickly, but why not preface that scene with some badass dark side ****?
Knife_Party
Ya I dont why Yoda doesnt take him on. He clearly commands more respect than Kenobi from Skywalker. You cant have someone thats like your brother train you. On the flip side, if no one had trained him he would have ended up recruited by the dark side no doubt. The jedi needed him.
TajMaballer
AG
I agree with the fact that Yoda or somebody on the council should have trained Young Anikan.. But weren't they all concerned with the presence of the dark side? I haven't seen the new trilogy in a while, so forgive me if I completely butchered that reasoning.
wangus12
AG
quote:
If anything he could be blamed as well for not stopping his training.

Palpatine would have just recruited earlier. Anakin would have felt betrayed by the Order.
OnlyForNow
AG
He might have just been killed by the Sith if OBK and KJG had not of found him.
JJxvi
AG
Guys I don't remember every second of the prequels but Im sure it was all explained in one of the hours of scenes where people talk to each other while sitting on a couch or while walking together.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
OBK and KJG

Are these supposed to be Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon? That's a pretty horrible job if so.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I believe "OBK and KJG" was their short-lived rap duo that won the Jedi Temple talent show.

Agree 100% about not seeing Anakin's powers in the prequels. The AOTC novelization does a great job of telling how he takes apart the Tusken village that would have been tremendous on-screen.

The ROTS novelization tells the opening duel from Dooku's perspective, and how he feels he's in total command until he realizes that Anakin is getting stronger as the duel wears on, only then realizing that Anakin is "half-Sith" already because the hatred and anger are fueling him to new highs.

You never saw anything from Anakin in any of his fights that matched Luke's onslaught of Vader in ROTJ after Vader revealed that he knew about Leia and would try and turn her. That was the definition of a Jedi giving into the Dark Side.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Guys I don't remember every second of the prequels but Im sure it was all explained in one of the hours of scenes where people talk to each other while sitting on a couch or while walking together.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
Knife_Party
The good news is you can shoot lightining as Anakin in the EP3 video game for xbox, so at least theres that.
Seven Psycho Ags
quote:

Flawless victory!
Ag Since 83
AG
Guys, it's pretty obvious why Yoda didn't take over the training of Anakin from Obi-Wan. In A New Hope, Obi-Wan tells Luke that he trained Anakin, and George Lucas would never contradict established canon 20+ years later.
MGS
quote:
In A New Hope, Obi-Wan tells Luke that he trained Anakin

Well, technically, Obi-Wan said that he trained Vader, and that Anakin was just an "old friend/"
redline248
AG
That's just a matter of point of view.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
a good friend, not an old friend. /nerd
Urban Ag
AG
a certain point of view?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You fought in the clone wars?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Never saw Anakin being much of a "cunning warrior" either.

He couldn't even get to the high ground!
redline248
AG
He lost all sense of strategy during that fight. It was blind, dark sided hatred.
JJxvi
AG
Luckily for Obi Wan, nobody ever taught Darth Maul the advantages of the high ground.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Darth Maul was the DJ Swearinger of the Sith Lords, taunting instead of making the big hit.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
Darth Maul was the DJ Swearinger of the Sith Lords, taunting instead of making the big hit.

DJ Darth Swearinger is my all-time favorite DJ now!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Obi-Wan fought with anger for the last portion of the fight vs Darth Maul, and pretty much went toe-to-toe with him for that short span.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Obi-Wan cutting Maul's saber in half is one of the most underrated moments of the prequels.

Although it should have been followed up with Obi-Wan saying, "WTF, how is that thing still working?"
wangus12
AG
Obi Wan was a BAMF!
AggieBQ03
AG
quote:
Obi Wan was a BAMF!

There's a reason why he was Princes Leia's only hope.
Knife_Party
If I'm ranking prequel jedi/sith it probably goes

Yoda > Palpy > Windu >> Kenobi > Anakin >>> Dooku >> Maul

Yoda, Palpy, and Windu are all super close and its an "any given Sunday" situation with them. So ya. Obi wan was a top 5 most powerful jedi of his day. Def a BAMF.

Anakin, while powerful, was also a tactical idiot when his emotions and attachments were involved. Imo he had neither the serenity of Yoda, the supreme killer instinct of Palpy, or the quiet overconfidence of Kenobi and would always have lost battles because of it. He was emotionally broken. But I guess thats why he became Darth Vadet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You can't put Obi-Wan above Dooku. Dooku bested him twice.

Furthermore, I think you have to put Anakin slightly above Obi-Wan as well. Yes Obi-Wan defeated him in Mustafar, but he "had the high ground". That fight was dead even for what, 20 minutes? So I think you give the edge to Anakin since he took down Dooku solo without too much trouble.

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 8/27/2014 1:25p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mace Windu vs. Anakin one-on-one would've been amazing to see in ROTS. My guess is Anakin would win it by a hair, and only because he'd tap into the Dark Side at some point.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Actually I stick with Obi-Wan over Ani; both times Obi lost to Dooku, they were 2 on 1 fights, so he was having to account for Ani getting in his way.

Obi-Wan had the best 1-on-1 record in the prequels: 3-0 (Maul, Grievous, Ani)

meanwhile you've got:
Maul: 1-1-1
Dooku: 0-1-1 (you're like a bad soccer team, Dooku
Yoda: 0-0-2 (even worse than Dooku)
Ani: 1-1
Qui-Gon: 0-1-1
Sidious: 0-1-1 (I'm assuming he let Windu win, to goad Ani into action)
Windu: 1-0-0, but still died a really lousy death, falling thousands of feet after getting his hand cut off and electrified.

First Page Last Page
Page 61 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.