Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,885,808 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
Knife_Party
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oh and I just remembered other old games that were made might have had them as well like Dark Forces 1, 2, or 3 or Star Wars Jedi Knight Academy.
Ganondorf
AG
EU had sith ghosts on Korriban/holocrons and one of the last episodes of Clone Wars had a sith ghost as well iirc.
redline248
AG
That in the clone wars wasnt a real ghost, it was a vision/dream as part of Yoda's test. As the mivies and clone wars are the only canon, none of that EU stuff matters.
Knife_Party
That doesn't mean things won't be cherry picked as plot elements though. Too much good stuff in there to make everything up from scratch.
redline248
AG
Thats fine, but it negates any Sith ghosts. Like I alluded to, holocrons are fine, no need for a Sith ghost.
TCTTS
AG
What the hell is a holocron?
redline248
AG
Does it matter? If it's in the movie they will explain it, if not...
TCTTS
AG
Thanks!
redline248
AG

[This message has been edited by redline248 (edited 8/23/2014 10:17p).]
AggieBQ03
AG
quote:
Does it matter? If it's in the movie they will explain it, if not...

I hated that they tried to explain everything in episodes 1-3. In the original movies you just took it as the way it was. Seemed to make a better movie/story experience.
Ganondorf
AG
quote:
What the hell is a holocron?

Jedi/Sith small library in a box. Someone like Yoda could impart knowledge and store it for future generations to learn from. Essentially a way for EU writers to use long dead Sith to teach new ones.

Think about I, Robot when Will Smith is talking to the 3D projection of James Cromwell where it would talk back to him. That's a holocron.
TCTTS
AG
Gotcha. Yeah, I could see the Emperor appearing via something like that, shown from the past, but it sounds more and more like he's somehow alive and influential in the present. Really hoping it's just misinformation.
TCTTS
AG
Devin Faraci ‏@devincf
I think my info about Han & Chewie in the super star destroyer may have been off. I'm hearing conflicting things.
TCTTS
AG
I'm so sick of these ice bucket challenge videos, but Oscar Isaac just did a somewhat funny one of note from the Star Wars set. Harrison Ford and Adam Driver are apparently flanking him on either side, but are under blankets because they're in costume. The figure on Isaac's left has his left leg elevated, which is the one Ford broke...

http://www.thewrap.com/oscar-isaac-als-ice-bucket-challenge-star-wars/
AliasMan02
AG
Something that has become obvious to me is that Disney/JJ does not really see this as a new trilogy launch. SW7 is a straight up bridge film that has some undercurrent leading into the future, then 8/9 will be a two-part story.

Priority seems to be putting a bow on the classic trilogy and passing the torch, which I think is fine. That's what JJ's Star Trek was, and it was extremely satisfying.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed.

That said, it sounds like they definitely have more of a plan for all three movies (along with everything else) than Lucas ever did with the OT and prequels.
Knife_Party
Star Trek Generations did something similar for Star Trek. They could easily pull that off. Does anyone have an informed guess about when the first teaser trailer may be released in theatres? This holiday season maybe?
Saxsoon
AG
If you think about it, A New Hope is more of a bridge to the other two than a full blown trilogy in my mind. A New Hope seems a lot smaller in scale on a galactic level (as small as moon sized planet destroying space station can be) before kicking off the next two.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Does anyone have an informed guess about when the first teaser trailer may be released in theatres? This holiday season maybe?

I actually speculated about that a few pages back...

quote:
Pie-in-the-sky, absolute earliest movie we could see a teaser with would be Big Hero 6 on November 7. It's a big Disney movie, and happens to release on the same day as Interstellar, which makes that a really attractive date to debut the first footage.

If we don't get a teaser then - and I seriously doubt we do - the more likely option is with The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies on December 17. Not a Disney movie, obviously, but Disney has Into the Woods the very next week, and that's their big Christmas Day movie. So I'd say there's a 50% chance of a teaser debuting sometime around Christmas.

Though, my gut tells me they may just wait 'til The Avengers: Age of Ultron on May 1. We know for a fact that an Episode VII trailer will be with Avengers, its just a question of whether or not it'll be the first trailer. It's a tough call because the first prequel trailers always hit in November, around seven months before the movie's release. Fox/Lucasfilm never did the year-in-advance teaser thing. So a first trailer in May would essentially match that same pattern, at around eight months out. That said, this is a completely different studio, a completely different release window, and marketing has no doubt changed in the decade since the last Star Wars movie. So this go-around, Disney could very well want to do a teaser a year-out.

If I really had to break it down, I'd say there's a 45% chance of a teaser debuting around Christmas, a 45% chance of a teaser debuting with Avengers, and a 10% chance of a teaser debuting on November 7. Hopefully we'll start to get word in the next couple of months.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/24/2014 1:16p).]
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
Devin Faraci ‏@devincf
I think my info about Han & Chewie in the super star destroyer may have been off. I'm hearing conflicting things.

Thank goodness.

I think (and hope) a lot of what we're hearing is misdirection. Maybe someone spotted Han and Chewie on a star destroyer set because they eventually get captured and brought there, so folks tossed out a rumor about them flying the thing to keep us guessing.

Hopefully (and almost surely) those Palpatine rumors are bunk, as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can pretty much guarantee over half of what we've heard is either misdirection or wrong altogether.
Knife_Party
I really enjoyed palpatine in the originals and in the prequels. One of the few major characters in the prequels who had well written lines and was apparently directed well too? Ewan is good but a few of the lines he says are like wtf george. Nothing is as bad as those love scenes though.

[This message has been edited by Boneyendoplasm (edited 8/24/2014 5:40p).]
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You mean you don't like sand?
TCTTS
AG
It's coarse... and rough... and irrratating. And it gets heverywhere.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So love has blinded you?
redline248
AG
Ep 2 romance scene gave us this (ignore the loser on the right of the image).

Saxsoon
AG
Thankfully she has gotten somewhat better at acting. She is pretty terrible in the trilogy.
AliasMan02
AG
She was good before then, and after. Almost as if she was delivering horrible lines, directed horribly.
redline248
AG
Lucas can't direct for sh_t and Portman suffered along with 99% of the cast.
mid90
AG
she was my first major crush
double aught
AG
She fine.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
She made me feel funny ever since Episode I.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You gotta think part of Anakin's screwed-up fall to the dark side was latching on to a girl 5-6 years older than him when he was 8 years old, making her into his mother/caregiver figure, finally seeing her again 10 years later and marrying her two weeks later.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's not part of, it IS the reason for his downfall and turn to the dark side. It's pretty heavy-handed.
wangus12
AG
Yeah, his love/adoration for her pretty much screwed it up. Its not her fault. Nothing is Natalie's fault.
First Page Last Page
Page 60 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.