Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,889,010 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
Al Bula
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I feel two ways about new StarWars.

I like the idea of using all the old characters and ships to draw the two eras together.

On the other hand, it is even tough to suspend disbelief when you think about how the MF would be an outdated POS rustbucket after being built 60 years before the Battle of Yavin, or 60 BBY. Then add to that 4 years between Yavin and Endor. And the new movies take place 30 years after Endor. So the MF'ing MF is about 94 years old.

Apparently C-3PO was constructed 112 BBY. Plus 34 years makes him 146 years old. These two examples are admittedly non-canon.

In a "used future" galaxy where FTL travel has existed for tens of thousands of years, I have a little trouble believing in the efficiency of a 94-year-old light freighter or in a non-obsolete 146-year-old protocol droid.

The caveat to these plot holes would be a canonical explanation for why technology in the SW galaxy seems to evolve but is stunted to such a ridiculous degree. I am not aware of such an explanation that is SW canon. Without an explanation, the droids and MF are just plot devices which bridge the age differences in movie goers and bind the years together.

TL;DR - I guess I am saying that Star Wars should not continue with the old ass MF and droids.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Falcon will be destroyed at the end of Ep VII in a heroic sacrifice by Han Solo.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cheers will erupt in theaters all over the world.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And then I'll cry.
Ganondorf
AG
From canon sources (movies) C-3PO was built by Anakin in 32 BBY and would be 66 given the numbers provided by 3rdCoastAg. Even if they went with the possibly non-canon story for 112 BBY they can account for him being completely rebuilt in 32 BBY.

He's pretty worthless no matter how old he is. Honestly all he does is interpret for R2-D2.
TCTTS
AG
3rdCoastAg - What you're talking about aren't "plot holes." A stretch of the imagination, maybe? Sure. But those aren't plot holes. Also, who's to say how fast tech evolves in that world? Tech/innovation may have even reached a plateau, especially under the Empire's rule. After faster-than-light travel is the norm, in the grand scheme of things, it may not matter if a ship is 100 years old, or five.

Also, you're ignoring the narrative aspects the Millenium Falcon represents. The whole point is to likely make our heroes underdogs again. And equipping them with state-of-the-art ships and weapons isn't the way to do that. Some of the best stories are the ones in which the seemingly impossible becomes possible. Watching a 94-year-old Millenium Falcon somehow outlast and outshine the Empire's modern tech is what these movies are all about. Besides, as mentioned, in all likelihood, this will be the last we ever see of Han and his ship.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/12/2014 4:02p).]
MGS
The USAF might be flying 80 year old B-52s when they are finally retired. The Navy's Nimitz-class carriers are expected to be in use for 50+ years.
BMX Bandit
I'd almost forgotten how insufferably lame diehard fanboys are. Thanks for the reminder 3rdCoastAg
Simplebay
AG
Lookin jacked

TCTTS
jabberwalkie09
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The force is with him.
TCTTS
AG
As cool as Hamill has looked with the beard lately in some of these recent pics, this is the first time in my opinion he's truly looked like an older Luke Skywalker. I think it's the hair. So pumped.
amercer
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Imagine how you'll feel when the Force theme swells up behind his first appearance; or since they are on Tatooine, you get a little taste of "Binary Sunset."

I got so many chills just typing that I had to open up Itunes to hear them both.

Would love to see at some point in the new trilogy Luke and some younger Jedi re-enacting the Yoda/Luke scene where Yoda lifts the X-wing out of the swamp after Luke deems it impossible.

I realize like others I'm promoting Abrams to demi-god status here, but I believe he's got something of that vein up his sleeve.
wangus12
AG
quote:
Would love to see at some point in the new trilogy Luke and some younger Jedi re-enacting the Yoda/Luke scene where Yoda lifts the X-wing out of the swamp after Luke deems it impossible.

Yes! Luke could pull a star destroyer out of orbit with the force.
wangus12
AG
But yes, just thinking about old Luke and that music gives me chills. I have so much hope for these movies to redeem the franchise after those that came before.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
would you call that hope you feel a new hope?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The hope is striking back. Or returning, if you will.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Imagine how you'll feel when the Force theme swells up behind his first appearance; or since they are on Tatooine, you get a little taste of "Binary Sunset."

Ulrich
For C-3PO and R2, I suspect that software updates would keep them mostly up to date. The EU did have a number of places where C-3PO grapples with the idea of obsolescence though.

As someone else said, the whole point of the Millennium Falcon is that it is old and beat up. If FTL travel has been around forever, one would assume that the easy fruit has been knocked down during tens of thousands of years of R&D, so there's not that much apparent improvement happening on a timescale of decades. Plus, the MF has been significantly modified and updated many times in its life. Part of its appeal for Han is that it DOES look like a battered old backwater freighter whose next run might be its last.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's like some of you forget how many parsecs the Falcon made the Kessel Run in. Geez.

She's fast enough for you.
double aught
AG
What a piece of junk!
TCTTS
AG
The more we see and hear, as cliched as this sounds, I really am starting to think this is the movie Abrams was born to direct. It feels like everything he's done has been leading to this, and that it's all finally coming together - the story, the script, the cast, the effects, the nostalgia - in such a way as to create a perfect storm. If I could place a bet right now, when it's all said and done, I'd bank on it being the highest grossing movie of all time. If Abrams can somehow pull this off, Avatar doesn't stand a chance.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn it TC, stop getting me so pumped, we still have to wait a year and a half.

But I'm starting to agree with you. This is his Avatar. Except in JJ's case, this is a franchise he grew up loving as much as everyone in this thread. As weird as the choice sounded at first, now it feels obvious that nobody was a better choice.
TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Provided the movie stays on track for a December 15 release, any chance we get a teaser before the year is out?

Honestly they wouldn't need to do much to get everyone hyped for this one. I envision it something like this:

Disney logo. Lucasfilm logo.
Fade to a shot of space, slow pan down to the planet of Tatooine.
Fade to a shot of a binary sunset on Tatooine.
Fade to a close up of two boots walking. An extremly slow pan up to old, battered jedi robes, and right before you get to the face - cut to black.
Episode VII.

The teaser could literally be that. 30 seconds.
TCTTS
AG
Pie-in-the-sky, absolute earliest movie we could see a teaser with would be Big Hero 6 on November 7. It's a big Disney movie, and happens to release on the same day as Interstellar, which makes that a really attractive date to debut the first footage.

If we don't a teaser then - and I seriously doubt we do - the more likely option is with The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies on December 17. Not a Disney movie, obviously, but Disney has Into the Woods the very next week, and that's their big Christmas Day movie. So I'd say there's a 50% chance of a teaser debuting sometime around Christmas.

Though, my gut tells me they may just wait 'til The Avengers: Age of Ultron on May 1. We know for a fact that an Episode VII trailer will be with Avengers, its just a question of whether or not it'll be the first trailer. It's a tough call because the first prequel trailers always hit in November, around seven months before the movie's release. Fox/Lucasfilm never did the year-in-advance teaser thing. So a first trailer in May would essentially match that same pattern, at around eight months out. That said, this is a completely different studio, a completely different release window, and marketing has no doubt changed in the decade since the last Star Wars movie. So this go-around, Disney could very well want to do a teaser a year-out.

If I really had to break it down, I'd say there's a 45% chance of a teaser debuting around Christmas, a 45% chance of a teaser debuting with Avengers, and a 10% chance of a teaser debuting on November 7. Hopefully we'll start to get word in the next couple of months.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I feel like it should be mentioned that when JJ did the 2009 Star Trek, the teaser (http://youtu.be/--vmdNTPTHs) had zero footage from the actual movie.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You know, Episode VII is the only movie in existence that could have people buzzing more after seeing the trailer than they are that they are about to see Avengers II.

I always remember going to see I Am Legend (unfortunately) and them showing the amazing opening scene of The Dark Knight with the Joker robbing the mob-owned bank with his army of clowns and school buses.

It make I Am Legend suck all the more.
TCTTS
AG
If we do get a trailer before May, it'll likely be something super short and simple, along the lines of what Brian Earl Spilner and jabberwalkie09 are referencing. So yeah, no matter what, that first full trailer debut with Avengers 2 is going to be absolutely insane.

Very rarely does a HUGE, highly-anticipated trailer debut with a HUGE, highly-anticipated movie. The trailers for all the prequels, the trailer for TDK (with I Am Legend), the first trailer for Avatar, etc all debuted with somewhat random movies. And yes, The Hobbit movies have had some huge trailers attached the past couple of years, but the Hobbit movies haven't really had near the buzz WB was anticipating.

The only two examples I can think of in recent years are the teaser for The Dark Knight Rises debuting with the final Harry Potter, and the teaser for Man of Steel debuting with The Dark Knight Rises itself. But neither of those really compare to attaching an Episode VII trailer to an Avengers sequel (thought TDKR with Harry Potter comes close). The weekend of May 1st is going to be like peak blockbuster insanity, and I can't wait.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/13/2014 9:56p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I can only imagine the reaction the Ep VII trailer will get with a packed audience of fellow nerds at an Avengers 2 midnight showing.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Fondly remembering going buying a matinee ticket to Monsters Inc. to watch the Attack of the Clones "breathing" trailer and then walking out and going back to work in 2001.

Smartest idea for a SW trailer ever - not letting Hayden Christinsen talk.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sybl5JJlws
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
Fox/LucasFilm never did the year-in-advance teaser thing.

Gonna have to disagree with you on this.

Back in 78 and 79, TCF re-released A New Hope. At the 79 showing, which I believe was in August, they attached a trailer for Empire. I recall footage of the MF in the asteroids and the most bad-ass part being when Han took shots at Vader on Cloud City.

It was different then as the trailer showed at the end of the credits, which I had stayed for since I always enjoyed listening to SW music (still do in fact).

TCTTS
AG
I was referring to the prequels.
First Page Last Page
Page 54 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.