Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,161 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also, I need to quit my job. Nobody at work is in the least bit interested in Star Wars. You nerds are my only outlet.
AliasMan02
AG
Also, I need to quit my job. Nobody at work is in the least bit interested in Star Wars. You nerds are my only outlet.
GiveEmHellBill
AG

Man, I really miss playing "X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter" on my PC.....
Red Five
AG
What an absurd video. That X-wing isn't going anywhere without an astromech droid. Probably at least an R6 if not an R8.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Looks like a sleeker nose cone on that X-Wing. I still can't believe it's happening.

That day in 2012 when they announced the whole thing, I did no work from that moment for the rest of the day.
Red Five
AG
They've changed the engines too. Original X-wing's had 4 engines, one on each S-foil, that looked like smaller versions of the engines pictured there. Those will obviously split into 4 half-circle shaped engines when the S-foils are deployed.
mid90
AG
quote:

+1

Man, I really miss playing "X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter" on my PC.....
jabberwalkie09
AG
X-wings!
TexAgBolter
AG

Old school McQuarrie design.
Ulrich
quote:
Red Five,

I am sure you are aware that LucasFilm and Disney have determined that all of the EU is non-canon. So Mara Jade has never existed as far as Episode 7 is concerned.

I believe the official stance is that they may and probably will borrow from the EU, but do not consider themselves restricted by that material in any way. I take this to mean that they will borrow characters and themes, but probably not specific story lines except maybe in very general terms. There have been a number of hints about Jade, so either she's in or they are faking it on purpose.

[This message has been edited by Ulrich (edited 7/21/2014 9:50p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That x-wing picture. Six to midnight.
codenameduchess
AG
I loved it when I first saw it, but the more I look at this new X-Wing the more I don't like it. I can get over the engines, but something about the cockpit bugs me.
codenameduchess
AG
I think that maybe it's too sleek? Think I'd like it more if the hatch was a little more "boxyish" like the McQuarrie design.

Regardless it doesn't matter, and I have no doubt that it will look badass in the movie!
Seven Psycho Ags
It has a more sleek design for sure. Maybe it's a stealth x-wing!
BeefAg_00~
So these dudes who can fly through space understood aerodynamics, then completely lost that technology, now have it again?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
So these dudes who can fly through space understood aerodynamics, then completely lost that technology, now have it again?

Wtf are you babbling about?
Red Five
AG
quote:
Why would you need to understand aerodynamics for non-atmospheric flight?
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
quote:

Boom, roasted. Seriously though, I don't see how anyone has a leg to stand on about griping about "forgetting aerodynamics" or anything like that. Just go look at some of the vehicles produced and put on the roads in the 2000s and realize half of it is just design style of an engineer if it was real anyway.
BeefAg_00~
quote:
quote:

AliasMan02
AG
Oh, you think these starfighters rely on Bernoulli in the atmosphere. How cute.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Are y'all really arguing over scientific inaccuracies of freaking Star Wars.
AliasMan02
AG
No "y'all" about it. Just one bonehead.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Er uh... He has a problem with how they fly, but what about take off?

ttp://youtu.be/6v5VahaEL7s

If you want somewhat realistic characteristics of space flight, or in atmosphere flight I suggest BSG or Babylon 5...
benMath08
AG
If there's one thing I hate about Star Wars, it's the unrealistic portrayal of space flight
redline248
AG
quote:
If there's one thing I hate about Star Wars, it's the unrealistic portrayal of space flight

But that jar jar, he's ok, right?
TCTTS
AG
More cool plot info from Badass Digest...

http://badassdigest.com/2014/07/22/why-i-believe-gwendoline-christies-star-wars-episode-vii-character-was-gend/

*** SPOILERS *** if you want to know absolutely nothing, but again, this isn't anything that won't be in the trailers...

Combining Devin's last report, here's the basic gist so far (text in bold is from Devin's newest report):

- John Boyega (the lead) apparently starts out as a STORMTROOPER. For whatever reason, he defects, somehow meets Daisy Ridley's character (who may or may not be the daughter of Han and Leia), and the two of them presumably stumble upon/find a severed hand grasping a lightsaber they eventually learn belongs to Luke Skywalker. Because the lightsaber is apparently found in the opening scene, the reveal that Boyega is/was a Stormtrooper may not come 'itl later, though the reveal will have to be early for the third plot point below to make sense.

- How they all meet or find each other is yet to be revealed, but Han and Chewie then apparently take Boyega and Ridley on a galaxy-wide search to find Luke, who no one has seen in years, and may be the key to unlocking some kind of grand conspiracy or coming event. This MIGHT be where Oscar Isaac's character is involved, as he's rumored to potentially either be the current owner of the Millennium Falcon, or somehow finds himself on this mission; a mission which may not actually start aboard the Millennium Falcon either. That could be introduced later. I'd also expect other ancillary character to be along for the ride as well.

- Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth from GoT) is apparently playing John Boyega's commanding officer. She's pissed he deserted, and goes looking for him. According to Devin, Christie "has been training with a lightsaber. Could she be an Imperial officer who has a lightsaber? Or is it something more? I'm hearing the S word."

How this all fits with Adam Driver and Lupita Nyong'o also potentially playing Siths is anyone's guess. I seriously doubt Christie, Driver, and Nyongo are all together. My guess is that some are hunting Boyega & co while others are trying to hunt Luke. Which is such a cool idea; Boyega being hunted while trying to hunt down Luke, who's also being hunted by a third party, who may or may not be on the same "team" as Christie. Either way, the Empire is most definitely still alive and well. Will be cool to see how the pieces fell at the end of Jedi, and were then built back up.

Here are some follow-up tweets from Devin:

Devin Faraci @devincf
It isn't as if every admiral and moff just decides to lay down for this scrappy rebel force. The Empire ending after JEDI is silly and naive

Devin Faraci @devincf
@tjecs206 exactly. JEDI wouldn't end with a period of peace and prosperity, it ends with a fractured galaxy.

Devin Faraci @devincf
.@maximilianfrey exactly. If STAR WARS was about Vietnam, this is about what happened after we 'won' Iraq.

Retweeted by Devin Faraci
Max Frey @MaximilianFrey
@devincf What a great way to turn the OT on its ear— finding that the war had only just begun.

Devin Faraci @devincf
@chrisdole86 a lot of people simply don't get it. They think it's a delivery story - bring the lightsaber to Luke. It's a quest! A hunt!

Devin Faraci @devincf
I thought this was clear. My info is all early in the movie, ending at the equivalent of Luke and Ben coming to Mos Eisley. There's more.

Devin Faraci @devincf
All of this STAR WARS stuff is like sorting through static, trying to get the noise. I have a lot of people who are seeing pieces, but not

Devin Faraci @devincf
the whole. It's like the story of three blind men describing an elephant by touch.

Devin Faraci @devincf
You're watching me get info and put pieces together in real time. It's kind of fun.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 7/22/2014 4:10p).]
TCTTS
AG
Btw, the Gwendoline Christie role is apparently the same role Hugo Weaving and Benedict Cumberbatch were up for. Glad they went with Christie. Such an inspired choice.
Simplebay
AG
given that everyone has lightsabers now, such a plot point revolving bringing luke back his....seems watered down.

now if the prequels didn't happen, then maybe that's another story. because i always envisioned luke/vader were the only 2 with lightsabers left from the original trilogy.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
given that everyone has lightsabers now, such a plot point revolving bringing luke back his....seems watered down.

I get what you're saying, but one of the tweets above literally addresses that exact concern. It's not about the lightsaber, specifically, or getting it back to Luke. It's about finding him for a larger reason/purpose. The lightsaber is merely the inciting incident. It's the thing that (apparently) sets it all in motion.
Simplebay
AG
so dont use it as a magguffin. that's dumb. no maguffins. build up the real reason.
Saxsoon
AG
Easy they see Luke's hand and lightsaber but no Luke realizing he is still alive out there injured and may need help.

Boom plot starter

[This message has been edited by Marsuvees (edited 7/22/2014 5:09p).]
redline248
AG
I'm staying away from the plot details posts, but catching the comments after...this floating hand/search for Luke thing all sounds really stupid.
TCTTS
AG
Search for Luke sounds AWESOME. Floating hand, not so much.
videoag98
AG
What if it's JUST the light saber floating in space, sans the hand. I could dig that a little more. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.
TCTTS
AG
^ Agreed. Hopefully that's the case.
First Page Last Page
Page 50 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.