Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,885,343 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
InnerCityAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Would be fun to get JJ off the record and hear him pitch a theoretical episodes I thru III.

Or just have him completely redo 1-3.
AliasMan02
AG
I've often thought about what the reaction would be to that. I just don't know.
redline248
AG
The only question I have is would Palpatine still rise up from senator to emperor or take over the galaxy another way.
InnerCityAg
Well, that is really all we needed to know anyway.

There would be no pod races, which is what made the first movie.
AliasMan02
AG
Darth maul was the high point of the first movie, by a lot.
redline248
AG
quote:
Darth maul was the high point of the first movie, by a lot.
Seven Psycho Ags
quote:
So, does this mean Han Solo has a goatee for VII??? I hope not! He still very much has that Han Solo look when he's clean shaven and his hair is the appropriate style.

I asked the same thing for the same reason. How come no one is talking about Solo's goatee?
COOL LASER FALCON
I can't tell if y'all are being serious... It's a photoshopped picture
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
I can't tell if y'all are being serious... It's a photoshopped picture

This. A pretty obvious photoshop at that...
agfan2013
AG
I think that is his proof picture from his reddit AMA that has been photoshopped. He had some funny answers from what I remember, seemed like a cool guy.

[This message has been edited by Agfan2013 (edited 6/18/2014 6:40p).]
Seven Psycho Ags
Ohhh. I am on mobile and it looks fine. Nevermind then
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
The only question I have is would Palpatine still rise up from senator to emperor or take over the galaxy another way.

Yeah, I think so. The fact that he was a politician was pretty well established in the EU before the new trilogy came out, so that was probably always in the cards. I mean, how else does one really become an emperor?

The single biggest change I would have made would be to have Anakin be as he was always clearly intended to be: a young adult contemporary of Obi-Wan's who was a great pilot, with great Force potential. Obi-Wan is just a knight, takes Anakin to Yoda to be trained and is rejected OR Yoda is somehow not available (maybe Obi Wan and Anakin are out on the Rim, far from civilized space), so decided to train him on his own.

Episode 1 is Obi-Wan and Anakin in a space fantasy adventure. Maybe see the start of the Clone Wars, or maybe they have started and just ramping up. Padme Organa is Bail's daughter and is mixed up in it somehow. Palpatine is a powerful politician, but plays very small a role. Dooku is the Sith Lord publicly behind the attempted overthrow of the Republic.

Episode 2, a few years have passed and Anakin has passed his trials and become a knight, but there is already darkness in him. He achieved power too quickly and easily, and he seeks more power to help the Republic win a war it is losing. He is a fanatical defender of the Republic, which he sees idealized in his friend and mentor, Palpatine. He and Padme are together, but none of this "love is forbidden" stuff. At the climax, Anakin kills a corrupt and traitorous President of the Senate to give the more noble and honorable Palpatine control of the government.

Episode 3, Palpatine has been kidnapped. Anakin kills Dooku at Palpatine's urging during the rescue. His hate had made him powerful, but Anakin rebuffs Palpatine now revealed to be Sidious. Anakin confesses his sins to Padme (now his wife), who is pregnant. She is horrified, and tells Obi-Wan before leaving for Alderran to get away from Anakin. Devastated, Anakin turns to Palpatine, because he wants to go after Padme but knows he can't defeat Obi Wan, and is renamed Darth Vader. We get Order 66 about halfway through the movie, then finish with a Republic/Imperial assault on the Jedi fleet, and Anakin's defeat by Obi-Wan.

Lots of holes and missteps in there, but that's top of my head. The MAIN thing is starting Anakin off as a young adult. Do that and everything comes easier.
Ulrich
Your idea for I is great and II is good. Put the way it is, your idea for III looks hard to swallow even though it's basically the same as the actual III.
AliasMan02
AG
My III is definitely pretty close to the actual III. As I went on, it got harder to write in all of the necessary events, which is why prequels are generally a bad idea to begin with.

In III, you MUST include (in my mind):

- Padme's flight (NOT death, which was stupid)
- Order 66 and destruction of the Jedi
- Anakin becomes Vader
- Vader's fateful duel with Kenobi
- Palpatine becomes Emperor

That's a lot of predestined things that you have to write in. You can try to move some of them to Episode II, but your only REAL option for that is accelerating Palpatine's ascent to power.

edit: I guess Padme doesn't actually need to run off... she could just think that Anakin is dead.

[This message has been edited by AliasMan02 (edited 6/18/2014 8:55p).]
Seven Psycho Ags
I liked Aliasman's 1-3 better than the real 1-3

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RsWTiafB21Q

"Uh, well, the power of myth..."
AliasMan02
AG
I'm sure I'll obsess about it at work tomorrow and iron some of it out.
Ulrich
I'm going with two episodes and relegating the war and politics to the background. No one cares about the trade federation or the separatists. Not sure if it will all fit in two movies, but three sure seemed to drag and I'm hoping this will help the audience keep track of why he falls. Ep II looks like a lot, but that's because I've explained a couple scenes way too much.

Episode I:
Similar to what you said. He starts the movie as a conflicted character. I would probably try a vignette like going out of his way to save an innocent stranger from a mugging, but then his response crosses the line from protection to a cruel vigilante justice. His response was rooted in good, but we see an unsettling darkness, too. You want to like him, but he makes it a little difficult. His eyes are always a little too wild even when he is at his most charming. He is set up as a menacing figure from the beginning rather than spending one movie as a funny little boy and a second as a bipolar lovestruck idiot teenager.

The adventure is trying to save his mother from human slavers; he joins forces with Obi-Wan, who is there on a mission to stop the slavers, but at some crucial moment Anakin fails due to his unrefined powers. To develop his skills he joins the Jedi order, and because his power is already so formidable he is allowed to join as a full knight.

Episode II:
Anakin is a Jedi pilot, cutting swaths through the Separatist forces. He's mature in his skills and his celebrity lets him hobnob with the elites including chancellor Palpatine. Introduce Padme as Anakin's wife, fait accompli. Again we set up the devolution of his character with a scene that shows his obvious devotion and growing psychosis. Perhaps someone inadvertently bumps into Padme at one of these celebrity parties and he pins the innocent stranger to the wall in a fit of unreasoning rage. Palpatine sees this, narrows his eyes, and pulls some strings to have Anakin assigned as his personal bodyguard. Anakin becomes an active participant in Palpatine's rise to power even as the audience understands that he is trapped in Palpatine's web of deceptions. Along the way we mix in a number of scenes showing Anakin and Obi-Wan's friendship.

A splinter faction of headstrong, elitist Jedi sick of their corrupt, doddering old Republic and Jedi Order carries out a plot to assassinate the chancellor and the president of the senate. They succeed in killing the president but Anakin protects the chancellor. This takes place at a political speech where the now-pregnant Padme is present; she is grievously injured. With Anakin's help, Palpatine takes over as president of the senate in addition to his duties as chancellor and pledges to clean up the Reupblic and end the fighting.

Palpatine paints the splinter faction as all the Jedi. Order 66 is issued. Obi-Wan flees with some younglings, including one teen who was involved in the assassination attempt. The deranged Anakin hunts down the teen Jedi who left his pregnant wife in a coma, Obi-Wan will not relinquish the boy he believes he can bring back from the dark side/a youthful mistake, and so they fight. During the fight, Anakin loses his grip on the light and goes full on dark force lightning. From there, it's pretty similar. Anakin is toasted in his fight with Obi-Wan, who is forced to flee before finishing the job when Anakin's reinforcements finally catch up. Senator Organa takes Padme back to Alderaan in her coma and tells her Anakin died. Anakin gets his suit, Palpatine tells him Padme died, and Anakin devotes himself to the power of the dark side. In his grief and rage, he disassociates himself from his old identity and chooses the new name Vader.

We leave this broken, seething figure pledging his allegiance to Palpatine. Palpatine tells him that "among my people, the powerful are honored with the title 'Darth'. You shall be Darth Vader." Cut to black.

[This message has been edited by Ulrich (edited 6/18/2014 11:16p).]
AliasMan02
AG
Good stuff. It's all had me thinking about how wrong Lucas got Anakin. In our do-over, what should Anakin really be?

According to Kenobi and others (top of my head)

-Anakin was a great pilot
-Had a strong connection with the Force
-Was trained by Obi Wan, specifically not by Yoda
-Was a Jedi Knight during the Clone Wars
-Was a powerful warrior/Jedi
-Disassociated from his identity as Anakin to become Vader
-Definitely did not know about having a daughter
-Seemed to know that he had a son, and that Obi-Wan was his caretaker
-Was not equal to Obi-Wan in his skills as a Jedi (he was but the learner)
-He knew Owen and Beru well (Owen is afraid Luke will follow Kenobi on a crusade like Anakin did, Beru and Owen note how much of Anakin Luke has in him)

We can infer that

-Obi-Wan was considerably older than Anakin (many people assume he is long dead, Vader calls him an old man).
-Anakin may have worked a spice freighter before meeting Obi-Wan, maybe even during the war (conjecture: assumes Owen told Luke only half-truths and didn't outright make things up).
-Obi Wan was a General, but Anakin is never called that. He might have been junior to Obi Wan in this regard (conjecture).
-Anakin lived on Tatooine with Owen when Obi Wan met him, taking him away and earning Owen's resentment.

Lots to work with, there, but we get an 8 year old kid who builds protocol droids.
Red Five
AG
I dont care for the idea that Padme would have been Bail Organa's daughter. That seems unnecessary and the kind of forced coincidence that seemed to plague the prequels. We dont need that to connect Leia to Bail, because it has already been established that Obi-wan knew Bail and fought with/for him in the Clone Wars.

Otherwise, I agree wholeheartedly with your complaints about Anakin, especially how the statements made by Owen, Beru, and Obi-wan in Ep IV dont seem to make any sense in the context of Anakin's portrayal in the prequels.
redline248
AG
Padme living would be necessary for Leia to have memories of her as mentioned in Jedi. Nothing else about her background matters that much.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I dont care for the idea that Padme would have been Bail Organa's daughter. That seems unnecessary and the kind of forced coincidence that seemed to plague the prequels. We dont need that to connect Leia to Bail, because it has already been established that Obi-wan knew Bail and fought with/for him in the Clone Wars.

Otherwise, I agree wholeheartedly with your complaints about Anakin, especially how the statements made by Owen, Beru, and Obi-wan in Ep IV dont seem to make any sense in the context of Anakin's portrayal in the prequels.

I actually messed that up. Padme wouldn't be Bail's daughter. Somehow he just needs to be in a position to either marry Padme, or else simply adopt a young Leia after her eventual death.

Also, Bail should have been royal in some way, not a Senator.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Padme living would be necessary for Leia to have memories of her as mentioned in Jedi. Nothing else about her background matters that much.

True, but having her be important to the story, and a big part of Anakin's life, is a good potential motivator for his fall.
redline248
AG
I think that's a given. I just don't care who she is or where she came from. Then again, that might be b/c the prequels did a horrible job making me care about her.
AliasMan02
AG
She was a teenage elected monarch. What's not to care about?
Red Five
AG
For a Head of State, she seemed to not ever have **** to do. You know?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sort of like the Queen of England?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Darth Plagueis novel makes Naboo's politics infinitely more interesting than any of the movies.

You guys just need to write some prequel FanFic like I did back in the day and get this all out of your systems.
TCTTS
AG
AWESOME news... Rian Johnson, writer/director of Looper, will write and direct both Episode VIII AND IX. This is so cool. Johnson is a super-smart director, a great writer, and I absolutely love the way he shoots. I seriously could not trust a director more to take the torch from J.J. This franchise is in phenomenal hands...

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/star-wars-rian-johnson-director-next-two-movies

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 6/20/2014 1:31p).]
Professor Frick
AG
Rian Johnson, hell yes.

Celebrate the guy's entire catalog, including the super underrated Brothers Bloom and the Breaking Bad episode The Fly

[This message has been edited by Professor frick (edited 6/20/2014 1:31p).]
Farmer1906
AG
He wrote the Fly? **** that guy! Worst episode I've ever seen of any tv show.
TCTTS
AG
Totally forgot about the Breaking Bad connection. He also directed maybe the BEST episode of the entire series, "Ozymandias," from the final season...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 6/20/2014 1:34p).]
TCTTS
AG
Johnson is also a really down to earth guy. He's constantly engaging with all the film critics/journalists I follow on Twitter, and consistently comes across as super nice and humble. In fact, he's actually pretty good friends with Devin Faraci, who runs one of my favorite sites, Badass Digest. Devin, of course, covers the hell out of Star Wars. I wonder how this is going to impact his reporting on the movies from here on out...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 6/20/2014 1:38p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not a bad choice but, gotta wonder why JJ isn't coming back (or being asked back).
Professor Frick
AG
To be fair, Johnson didn't write Fly, he just directed the hell out of it.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Not a bad choice but, gotta wonder why JJ isn't coming back (or being asked back).

I never for a minute thought he'd actually do Episode VIII as well. A director of his caliber/productivity isn't going to waste six years of his life on this franchise.

In fact, there are now conflicting reports on Johnson doing both movies. He's writing/directing Episode VIII for sure, but may only be writing the treatment for Episode IX. I'm sure we'll know more soon...
First Page Last Page
Page 43 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.